Meat

Options

Replies

• ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but Japanese people dont eat edamame and dragon rolls every day. In fact, good luck going into a restaurant in Japan and finding edamame on the menu.

Every Japanese restaurant in my town (all 3 of them) serve edamame but what is served in Amercan Japanese restaurants is very off point, as is whether ot not something is eaten everyday. Tofu is soy, miso is soy, edamame is soy, dried soy beans are soy, soy butter is soy, soy milk is soy, and they are all healthy foods for those without a soy allergy/intollerance.

Yes, and every Japanese restaurant in my town (all 40 of them) serve tempura ice cream, so by the same reasoning, all Japanese people eat a lot of it and it's healthy for people without dairy intolerance. QED
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but Japanese people dont eat edamame and dragon rolls every day. In fact, good luck going into a restaurant in Japan and finding edamame on the menu.

Every Japanese restaurant in my town (all 3 of them) serve edamame but what is served in Amercan Japanese restaurants is very off point, as is whether ot not something is eaten everyday. Tofu is soy, miso is soy, edamame is soy, dried soy beans are soy, soy butter is soy, soy milk is soy, and they are all healthy foods for those without a soy allergy/intollerance.

Yes, and every Japanese restaurant in my town (all 40 of them) serve tempura ice cream, so by the same reasoning, all Japanese people eat a lot of it and it's healthy for people without dairy intolerance. QED

What are you talking about??? I don't think anyone in this thread ever said that Japanese people eat anything "all the time". But are you seriously arguing that soy hasn't been a staple in the Asian diet for years? I mean, even if it hadn't been it serve as little proof that soy is unhealthy. So, what exactly is your point?
  • ilsie99
    Options
    I'm arguing that FERMENTED soy is a staple in Asian culture. And I'm Asian, and I lived in Korea and Japan for about a fourth of my life, so I think I'm fairly qualified to say that.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    In my opinion there are pros and cons of being either meat eater,vegan or vegetarian, it comes down to personal choice, if it's just to loose weight then becoming Vegetarian won't help. If you can't get a balanced diet with how long you have been eating meat for thenmit will be even more difficult to do it as a vegetarian
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm arguing that FERMENTED soy is a staple in Asian culture. And I'm Asian, and I lived in Korea and Japan for about a fourth of my life, so I think I'm fairly qualified to say that.

Cool, we're in agreement then. Soy is a healthy food. Otherwise I'm assuming you would not have eaten it. I was confused because it seemed as if you were arguing against my point, but I see now that we are on the same page.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Bacon is my cocaine.
  • ilsie99
    Options
    Let me see if I can clarify:

When I lived in Korea, I had soy sauce (fermented soy) every day. I had doenjang (fermented soy) every day. I had tofu (UNfermented soy) MAYBE twice a month. I had edamame never, in fact, I didn't even know people ate stuff like that till I went to a sushi restaurant in the US. Soy milk? Heck no.

When I lived in Japan, I had soy sauce every day. I had miso (fermented soy) with almost every meal. I had natto (fermented soy) much more often than tofu, and again, never had edamame.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? Lots of fermented soy, little unfermented soy.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Bacon is my cocaine.

Mmmm, bacon. I haven't had it in my house for over 20 years because I just can't be trusted.
  • ilsie99
    Options

Cool, we're in agreement then. Soy is a healthy food. Otherwise I'm assuming you would not have eaten it. I was confused because it seemed as if you were arguing against my point, but I see now that we are on the same page.

hahah, clearly not, but whatever.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Bacon is my cocaine.

Mmmm, bacon. I haven't had it in my house for over 20 years because I just can't be trusted.

I incorporated it into the household diet in moderation (2 slices periodically for breakfast, 2 slices on a sandwich for lunch, etc.). Keeps me from binging on a whole plate of bacon :)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Any *fact based* info on meat vs. vegetarian/vegan would be greatly appreciated.

Fact, there is no society of all vegetarians in the history of mankind. Take a person that refuses to eat any meat, and a real human that eats a omnivore based diet (like we were designed to) and drop them both off in the wilderness, see who comes out alive.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Any *fact based* info on meat vs. vegetarian/vegan would be greatly appreciated.

Fact, there is no society of all vegetarians in the history of mankind. Take a person that refuses to eat any meat, and a real human that eats a omnivore based diet (like we were designed to) and drop them both off in the wilderness, see who comes out alive.

Vegetarian is ancient tribal slang for the ***Moderator edited***.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Eat organic plants and humanely raised meat/dairy without antibiotics or added hormones and you are supporting the natural farmer and doing your body a favor. It is more expensive, but worth it to me.

I think I'm keeping Applegate products in business, singlehandedly.
  • freerange
    Options

I hunt and used to work in a slaughterhouse.

So...yep, know how they live and die. Sometimes by my own two murderous hands.

I knew I liked you. :wink:
  • bcattoes
    Options

That would depend entirely on the individuals. Eating meat doesn't give you magical wilderness survivor skills. I'm guess whichever of them had seen the most episodes of Survivorman would come out alive first.
  • freerange
    Options
    I have noticed that no one on here has talked about the economical and green reasons to lessen meat intake. Here is a great TED talk about it

http://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_weekday_vegetarian.html

Propaganda, do you have ANY IDEA how much oil is needed to grow one head of cabbage?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend reading Michael Pollan's Omnivore's dilemma for what I felt was a balanced discussion of the issues.

What I found most intriguing was his descriptions of the farm (Polyface). Both the crops and the animals depend on each other for production efficiency.

The reasons us humans are doing a fairly good job at taking over the world (mwahaahaa) is because we are omnivores and able to adapt. Like rats.

Meat is not unhealthy, except by the bucketload. Vegetarian diets are not unhealthy, except when too restrictive. Fruitarian diets?.....

The more people choose reasonably farmed and organic style (not necessarily certified organic), the better the farming processes there will be. I don't want to see a world entirely growing grains and vegetables personally. I like being chased by a herd of bullocks.

(oh, and fermented stuff is better for you. Especially fermented soy products...... except natto. That is truly disgusting)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the one with the best mobile phone signal.........
  • freerange
    Options

That would depend entirely on the individuals. Eating meat doesn't give you magical wilderness survivor skills. I'm guess whichever of them had seen the most episodes of Survivorman would come out alive first.

No surprise the point went over your head. The point being a vegan CANNOT get a balanced diet locally from plants alone, they will die from malnutrition in time. It is only recently that vegans have even been possible because it takes so much work, and combined foods to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No surprise the point went over your head. The point being a vegan CANNOT get a balanced diet locally from plants alone, they will die from malnutrition in time. It is only recently that vegans have even been possible because it takes so much work, and combined foods to achieve a healthy lifestyle.

LOL you really have no sense of humor at all, do you?