Meat

Options

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    What's a troll?? The little dolls with crazy hair and jewels for bellybuttons? In that case, no.

Basically, a troll is someone who surfs the boards and comments with the intention of stirring up trouble and picking fights. The poster who asked you this has a legitimate point. Your comments have been rude and pretty judgemental, especially considering you probably do not know the OP.

She cleared this up earlier - she meant the comments in a joking way and knows the OP.

Thing is - none of the rest of us knew this and it looked like another troll post.

Word of advice to others that want to do this --- *joking* or *sarcasm* tags REALLY come in handy.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Going vegan/vegetarian isn't bad for the right reasons. HOWEVER, just to lose weight is NOT the right reason. Meat is an excellent source of protein, the only source of heme-iron which is more readily absorbed and used by your body than plant based non-heme iron, and can be included in an healthy diet and lifestyle.

I'd suggest doing a lot more research before you make the jump. It takes a lot of education to eat right on a vegan/vegetarian diet. And I dont mean eat right as in eat healthy, I mean eating right as in giving your body everything it needs. Vegans/vegetarians are at higher risk for being low in key nutrients your body needs. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get these nutrients from non-animal based sources, it certainly is, but just be aware you'll have to do a lot of research on it. Its not as easy as just eating salad, bread, and fruit.

Also, I know a few vegetarians who are still overweight. They are vegetarian for other reasons than weight, so it is not a cure all, cookie cutter way to drop pounds fast. There is no such thing. Its eating well balanced meals, from the proper sources and living an active lifestyle. But what that actually looks like in practice is different for every person and you have to take the time to find what changes you're willing to make and stick with for life.

Agreed!
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Please do NOT support the cruelty & greed of the meat industry. If you only knew how these animals lived (if one could even call it that) and were slaughtered, you would think twice about putting their flesh in your mouth :cry: . Please do some research and make the right decision.

I happen to live on a ranch - our cows are happy healthy, and wallowing in grass so green it hurts your eyes. They are not dirty, sad or depressed. They listen to the birds sing and the rain fall. They lay in the sunshine and look at the blue skies...
    They walk willingly into the truck that transports them to the butcher house. (ok-sometimes they look back at my husband, the cowboy, and decide the better course of action is to just go in the blasted trailer!:) They get killed quickly and humanely, and best of all, they are not human - which of course is what sets us apart from them. Thankfully.
    Greed?? well, yes. Most industries have that endearing quality.
  • aranchmom
    Options

My only agenda is to shine the light of truth on the vegan lies, nothing more. I accept you have decided to not go the veggy route, doesn’t really matter if you did or not, there is no harm in being a veggy, as long as you don’t lie to me about why, and try to convince me that being veggy is somehow “better” than being a omnivore.
    There is no need for sources, I can post sources all day, so can you, at the end of the day if your sources try to claim being a veggy is good and eating meat is bad, then your sources are wrong. If you compare factory farming with factory ranching there isn’t a spits worth of difference in global affect. And if you compare sustainable farming with sustainable ranching there is a big argument that can be made that the meat eater is better for the environment.
    Here is a good source for you, read the book The Omnivore’s Dilemma, maybe it will open, your mind.

totally. I agree. I live on a cattle ranch, and its hilarious what crazy assumptions and claims and weird *facts* are thrown around in teh name of slaughter. I am 110% sure that we use less energy, less water, less oil, and definitely less trees than any organic or sustainable farm. Period. See my previous *snarky* post. I simply cannot believe the ignorance on here!!! :yawn: love your comments though. At least there is a few sensible people! lol!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

My only agenda is to shine the light of truth on the vegan lies, nothing more. I accept you have decided to not go the veggy route, doesn’t really matter if you did or not, there is no harm in being a veggy, as long as you don’t lie to me about why, and try to convince me that being veggy is somehow “better” than being a omnivore.
    There is no need for sources, I can post sources all day, so can you, at the end of the day if your sources try to claim being a veggy is good and eating meat is bad, then your sources are wrong. If you compare factory farming with factory ranching there isn’t a spits worth of difference in global affect. And if you compare sustainable farming with sustainable ranching there is a big argument that can be made that the meat eater is better for the environment.
    Here is a good source for you, read the book The Omnivore’s Dilemma, maybe it will open, your mind.

totally. I agree. I live on a cattle ranch, and its hilarious what crazy assumptions and claims and weird *facts* are thrown around in teh name of slaughter. I am 110% sure that we use less energy, less water, less oil, and definitely less trees than any organic or sustainable farm. Period. See my previous *snarky* post. I simply cannot believe the ignorance on here!!! :yawn: love your comments though. At least there is a few sensible people! lol!

One time I read a study that grass fed cattle farming has a larger carbon footprint than conventional produce farming (replete with tractors, fertilizer, pesticide, etc. etc.) because... wait for it... grass fed cows fart a lot. I'm totally not kidding.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Meat isn't bad for you, and this is coming from a vegetarian. What meat sources you choose are what you need to watch. You want lean protein (not fatty cuts of meat). This will help build muscle and provide all of the essential amino acids that your body needs as well as heme iron which is thought to be easier for your body to absorb.

However, if you choose to go vegetarian, this can be a perfectly healthy decision. Studies show vegetarians have lower instances of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and certain cancers. What I would recommend is going off of meat gradually. Take out red meat first, then poultry, then fish, and then, before you know it, you're a lacto-ovo vegetarian... :-) By gradually reducing meat in your diet, you can start to explore more vegetarian sources of protein (tofu, tempeh, beans, nuts, seeds, whole grains, etc) and see what you like best. Some people decide to become vegetarian and remove all meat in one swoop and then become nutritionally deficient because they never learned what to replace it with. As a vegetarian, have protein with every meal in some form or another, and remember dairy products and eggs are very good sources of complete protein. Soybeans and quinoa are also complete proteins. Incomplete proteins (like those found in whole grains and beans) need not be eaten at the same time, but merely in the same day or week to be put to use by your body.
  • bwesser
    bwesser Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, I read your post and the one underneath it. Meat is good for your body, we are omnivores. We are made to have both plants and animals in our diet. That's not to say you should be eating a steak every day.

My opinion: Go with grass fed beef like nature's promise. Don't eat it with every meal, but make sure you get enough protein. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have to confess. This thread is making me want to put a big steak wrapped in bacon on the grill for dinner tonight...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that no one on here has talked about the economical and green reasons to lessen meat intake. Here is a great TED talk about it

http://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_weekday_vegetarian.html

Propaganda, do you have ANY IDEA how much oil is needed to grow one head of cabbage?

No, how much? I don't put oil on my cabbages, but you have peaked my curiosity.

I hope you're just joking, you seemed fairly literate on our food industry and big agribusiness. The question was how much oil is needed to grow one head of cabbage, as in when you add up the gas for tractors, manufacturing of pesticides, processing/cleaning plants, gas for trucks to deliver the cabbage to other distributors and the long journey it takes from probably California to say Maine for someone to pick it up in their grocery store. No one said anything about putting oil directly on to cabbages to make them grow.

And if you're going to bring up that you grow your own cabbages, thats awesome, but you (and I) are the minority in today's world. And even organic cabbage found in a grocery store still takes tons of oil to grow and bring to market, they run organic farms just like regular farms but without the herbicide/pesticide, so all the big agribusiness evils are the same. As someone stated earlier if you read Michael Pollans "An Omnivore's Dillemma" it gives a very balanced yet eye opening perspective into our country's big agribusiness food industry vs local "small" farmers.

So, how much less oil to run a cattle (or food animal of your choice) ranch, process the meat and deliver it to the store?

I'm being purposely argumentative but it's to make a point. Yes, it takes energy to run the agriculture business. It also take a lot of energy to run the meat industry. So, I don't see how the energy aspect makes vegetarian any worse or better than eating meat.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    So, I don't see how the energy aspect makes vegetarian any worse or better than eating meat.

Bingo, when you compare apples to apples I don’t think there is much difference. I don’t have the facts to back it up but I do believe if you compare, local, sustainable farming to local, sustainable meat production the meat production would come out on top. IMO. But even then I doubt it would be by much.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, I don't see how the energy aspect makes vegetarian any worse or better than eating meat.

Bingo, when you compare apples to apples I don’t think there is much difference. I don’t have the facts to back it up but I do believe if you compare, local, sustainable farming to local, sustainable meat production the meat production would come out on top. IMO. But even then I doubt it would be by much.

Plus if it were a cattle ranch you'd have to figure in the methane pollution caused by cow flatulence. :wink: But then rice paddies also produce methane.
  • aranchmom
    Options

One time I read a study that grass fed cattle farming has a larger carbon footprint than conventional produce farming (replete with tractors, fertilizer, pesticide, etc. etc.) because... wait for it... grass fed cows fart a lot. I'm totally not kidding.

Haha! :laugh: I know - so dumb. AND now they are trying to get a cow fart tax in the works. Sheesh. What freak thought of THAT?!?! :noway: Some people.... :laugh:
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Haha! :laugh: I know - so dumb. AND now they are trying to get a cow fart tax in the works. Sheesh. What freak thought of THAT?!?! :noway: Some people.... :laugh:

Wow, no offense, but your post seems pretty audacious. The methane produced by cows is a real world issue, not just a fifth-grade level joke. Seems like you're not open to it because you have a ranch...and that's awfully dismissive and undeserved.
  • freerange
    Options

Wow, no offense, but your post seems pretty audacious. The methane produced by cows is a real world issue, not just a fifth-grade level joke. Seems like you're not open to it because you have a ranch...and that's awfully dismissive and undeserved.

Just like man made global warming,,,,,, oh wait we now have proof most of the FACTS are man made. Cow farts LOL I wonder if maybe Buffalo didn't fart?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Just like man made global warming,,,,,, oh wait we now have proof most of the FACTS are man made. Cow farts LOL I wonder if maybe Buffalo didn't fart?

I'm sure they did, but there weren't as many buffalo farms as there are cattle farms.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Are you honestly telling me that you believe global warming is a myth and cows don't release methane gas? If so, there's no need to continue the conversation lest I say something that offends you.
  • ilsie99
    Options

All right, easy solution, lets just kill off all the cows. Also, stop farting. Yes, I'm talking to you, baby seal killer!

How about we get car emissions, third world production emissions, toxic runoff from chemical and agricultural companies, the electricity that you use which is most likely powered by coal whose mining practices decimate landscapes and harm coal miners, and conflict zone mined rare earth elements used to produce that shiny laptop/desktop/tablet/phone that you just used to post to MFP... under control- then we can talk about cow farts.

Until then, I will joke about them, like a fifth grader.
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The point of meat ether being good or bad for you is not the issue .. It's not the meat that's 100% unhealthy, it's whats in your meat and the facts behind your meat..

Cattle are castrated and horns removed with no pain killers or Antibiotics, this is often done with bolt cutting type tools that are dirty, rusty and often lead to infections. They are branded over and over again and wounds are left untreated. The USDA allow meat from animals with cancers lesions and pus filled wounds to be certificated as USDA pure, so these wounds and injuries go untreated. After years of living in these conditions Cattle are forced into shipping trucks and shipped to slaughterhouses some are so sick they have to be pulled and dragged from the trucks, these sick dying diseased Cattle are USDA certificated and approved to be on your plate..

Do you realize chickens and turkeys are forced to live in the worst living conditions known? Crammed into sheds by the tens of thousands forced to live among their own waste and deceased. Pumped with Antibiotics and growth hormones to supply bigger and meatier chickens. Most chickens legs brake due to the abnormal sizes from the growth hormones, lay in their own waste and starve to death.. Most of these birds are diseased and have infected flesh wounds, due to being pecked by other birds that have gone mad as a result of these living conditions..Some of them don't die but end up on your plate and are USDA
    approved. Sounds Tasty huh?

Some of you may say this is bull crap and not true other may agree with these facts... Words can be disputed, but Images and Video speaks a thousand words.. Look it up!!

even watch for yourselves...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNFvOyTJd8&feature=player_embedded#at=267
  • freerange
    Options
    The point of meat ether being good or bad for you is not the issue .. It's not the meat that's 100% unhealthy, it's whats in your meat and the facts behind your meat..

Cattle are castrated and horns removed with no pain killers or Antibiotics, this is often done with bolt cutting type tools that are dirty, rusty and often lead to infections. They are branded over and over again and wounds are left untreated. The USDA allow meat from animals with cancers lesions and pus filled wounds to be certificated as USDA pure, so these wounds and injuries go untreated. After a years of living in these conditions Cattle are forced into shipping trucks and shipped to slaughterhouses some are so sick they have to be pulled and dragged from the trucks, these sick dying diseased Cattle are USDA certificated and approved to be on your plate..

Do you realize chickens and turkeys are forced to live in the worse living conditions known? Crammed into sheds by the tens of thousands forced to live among their own waste and deceased. Pumped with Antibiotics and growth hormones to supply bigger and meatier chickens. Most chickens legs brake due to the abnormal sizes from the growth hormones, lay in their own waste and starve to death.. Most of these birds are disease and have infected flesh wounds, due to being pecked by other birds that have gone mad in result of these living conditions..Some of them don't die but end up on your plate and are USDA

Some of you may say this is bull crap and not true other may agree with these facts... Words can be disputed, but a Images and Video speaks a thousand words.. Look it up!!

That is the biggest pile of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, stuff, I've ever read here. Congrats you win the top prize.
  • ilsie99
    Options

Cattle are castrated and horns removed with no pain killers or Antibiotics, this is often done with bolt cutting type tools that are dirty, rusty and often lead to infections. They are branded over and over again and wounds are left untreated. The USDA allow meat from animals with cancers lesions and pus filled wounds to be certificated as USDA pure, so these wounds and injuries go untreated. After a years of living in these conditions Cattle are forced into shipping trucks and shipped to slaughterhouses some are so sick they have to be pulled and dragged from the trucks, these sick dying diseased Cattle are USDA certificated and approved to be on your plate..

Do you realize chickens and turkeys are forced to live in the worse living conditions known? Crammed into sheds by the tens of thousands forced to live among their own waste and deceased. Pumped with Antibiotics and growth hormones to supply bigger and meatier chickens. Most chickens legs brake due to the abnormal sizes from the growth hormones, lay in their own waste and starve to death.. Most of these birds are disease and have infected flesh wounds, due to being pecked by other birds that have gone mad in result of these living conditions..Some of them don't die but end up on your plate and are USDA

Some of you may say this is bull crap and not true other may agree with these facts... Words can be disputed, but a Images and Video speaks a thousand words.. Look it up!!

It's not that hard to find ethical farms-

http://vitalfarms.com/about-us/photos-media/
    http://www.thunderheartbison.com/content/
    http://www.dhfarms.com/gallery.htm
    http://www.farmtomarketbeef.com/

That's 4 of the dozens and dozens of local farms that frequent 4 different farmers markets in my area, and stock at local grocery stores.