Paleo, anyone?

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Now you’re grasping at straws, no one said anyone HAD to eat this way, we have only asserted that we believe this to be the optimal diet for most people, nothing more or less.
    The implication is we HAVE to eat this way if we want to achieve optimal health. I know no one is holding a gun up to my head and saying, "eat paleo." When I say "HAVE" I mean in terms of being as healthy as possible. Figured that was obvious...

Yes, now you got it. That is what we are saying, here let me state it as plain as I can. I believe on the evidence I have read and I have experienced, that most people will realize optimal health on the Paleo/Primal style diet. I believe your diet may be working for you, but if you switched to “my” diet you would realize even better results in health.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Like the atomic bomb?

I have no idea what you're trying to say or imply with that remark. The atomic bomb as a technological achievement was tremendous. That it resulted in the unfortunate loss of life and an age of finger-on-the-button nuclear deterrence doesn't undercut that.

Even with correlational pseduo-science you don't get to pick and choose to that extent... Unless you're disputing that people are smarter and healthier in agrarian societies than they were when hunting and gathering. Yes, the nuclear bomb was developed in an agrarian society. So was the iPad. Yes, Hitler was raised in an agrarian society. So was Mother Theresa. You don't get to use evolution as a reason to eat paleo and then blame the nuclear bomb on grains because evolution doesn't actually support eating paleo.

I picked the iPad, btw, because it is a distinctly hipster device. :laugh:

Edit:

And I wasn't referring to you, freerange, more the guy who said that evolution meant eating paleo was supported by science.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Yes, now you got it. That is what we are saying, here let me state it as plain as I can. I believe on the evidence I have read and I have experienced, that most people will realize optimal health on the Paleo/Primal style diet. I believe your diet may be working for you, but if you switched to “my” diet you would realize even better results in health.
    Cite that evidence.
  • freerange
    In the interest of full disclosure I am currently eating a dinner that is mostly paleo :happy:
    You could smoke a pack of cigarettes and take 5 hard hits to the head, and paleo would cancel the negative effects of both. Because, people who eat paleo cure cancer and Parkinson's. Just something to consider!

Are you saying diet has no affect on cancer or Parkinson's?
  • mynameisuntz
    I don't get it, does that mean being a hipster is bad? People have accused me of being a hipster, but I'm not one. No V-necks + no skinny jeans = impossible to be hipster.

Furthermore I'll need to see some empirical evidence that proves the iPad is a distinctly hipster device.
  • freerange
    Cite that evidence.

Already have, if you choose not to believe it that is your choice.
  • mynameisuntz
    Diet plays a role in most everything. I am saying that Wolf implying that paleo can *cure* Parkinson's is laughable. It's downright hilarious. This coming from someone who is going to make a career in a field of neuroscience, probably behavioral neuroscience.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    facepalm.jpg

This thread is getting insane...
  • mynameisuntz
    Already have, if you choose not to believe it that is your choice.
    Do you understand why the evidence you have provided is insufficient to reach conclusions, then?
  • Teemo
    I don't get it, does that mean being a hipster is bad? People have accused me of being a hipster, but I'm not one. No V-necks + no skinny jeans = impossible to be hipster.

Furthermore I'll need to see some empirical evidence that proves the iPad is a distinctly hipster device.

I saw two guys with iPads and they were hipsters. Draw your own conclusions.

I haven't seen a study saying that consuming grains lead to an increased risk of Parkinsons, though an increase in the consumption of animal fats has been cited as leading to a five-fold increase in the likelihood of PD.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.410390113/abstract

That doesn't sound good for paleo. Or my diet, haha. :laugh:
  • freerange
    Like the atomic bomb?

I have no idea what you're trying to say or imply with that remark. The atomic bomb as a technological achievement was tremendous. That it resulted in the unfortunate loss of life and an age of finger-on-the-button nuclear deterrence doesn't undercut that.

Even with correlational pseduo-science you don't get to pick and choose to that extent... Unless you're disputing that people are smarter and healthier in agrarian societies than they were when hunting and gathering. Yes, the nuclear bomb was developed in an agrarian society. So was the iPad. Yes, Hitler was raised in an agrarian society. So was Mother Theresa. You don't get to use evolution as a reason to eat paleo and then blame the nuclear bomb on grains because evolution doesn't actually support eating paleo.

Edit:

And I wasn't referring to you, freerange, more the guy who said that evolution meant eating paleo was supported by science.

You need to stop eating grains, it’s interfering with your ability to remember what you wrote. You wrote;
    "eating paleo" were marked by brutal and primitive behavior while it was during the post-agriculture evolution of agrarian societies that man made the greatest intellectual and technological leaps.

I countered with the, atomic bomb, because I consider it pretty “brutal” I thought that was obvious, :wink:
  • freerange
    Diet plays a role in most everything. I am saying that Wolf implying that paleo can *cure* Parkinson's is laughable. It's downright hilarious. This coming from someone who is going to make a career in a field of neuroscience, probably behavioral neuroscience.

What did he base that on?
  • Teemo
    You need to stop eating grains, it’s interfering with your ability to remember what you wrote. You wrote;
    "eating paleo" were marked by brutal and primitive behavior while it was during the post-agriculture evolution of agrarian societies that man made the greatest intellectual and technological leaps.

I countered with the, atomic bomb, because I consider it pretty “brutal” I thought that was obvious, :wink:

I am not even sure if you're serious but out of respect for some of our previous conversations I'll assume you were making a joke.
  • freerange

Kind of contradicting yourself there aren't you? First you say “diet plays a role in everything” then you say that claiming diet can cure Parkinson’s is laughable???? I don’t understand?
  • mynameisuntz
    I like you. You're invited to my birthday party. Superhero theme.
    I haven't seen a study saying that consuming grains lead to an increased risk of Parkinsons, though an increase in the consumption of animal fats has been cited as leading to a five-fold increase in the likelihood of PD.

My general vegetarian-based diet reigns supreme! Muahaha.
    A single case study.
  • mynameisuntz
    Kind of contradicting yourself there aren't you? First you say “diet plays a role in everything” then you say that claiming diet can cure Parkinson’s is laughable???? I don’t understand?
    No, not really. Cigarettes + coffee are correlated to preventing Parkinson's, for example. For the sake of illustration, let's pretend that's true. Let's pretend cigarettes prevent Parkinson's.

Do you think prevention = cure?

Furthermore, just because diet plays a role in everything doesn't mean GRAINS plays a role in everything, or any specific aspect of diet plays a role in anything.
  • freerange

I am not even sure if you're serious but out of respect for some of our previous conversations I'll assume you were making a joke.

Do you not consider the atomic bomb brutal?

And speaking of correlation's, isn’t that the boogyman you have been claiming we use? I want to see your scientific peer reviewed evidence that eating grains lead to all the good you claim.
  • freerange
    I like you. You're invited to my birthday party. Superhero theme.

My general vegetarian-based diet reigns supreme! Muahaha.
    A single case study.

DO you claim that single case study was a lie?
  • mynameisuntz
    DO you claim that single case study was a lie?
    I never saw the official case study.

An intentional lie? No. Is it possible that the diagnosis was merely off? Yeah, very possible. What measures were taken to make that diagnosis? Is it possible that a paleo diet could cure symptoms of Parkinson's? I won't rule it out. But considering I've researched the topic extensively (again, making a career in this, and patients with PD would be a major group), there's no way I can believe that a diet that merely removes grains/legumes will cure a neurodegenerative disorder for more than .0001% of the population.

Dark chocolate has neuroprotective effects. Guess how useful it is once the neurodegeneration has already started?
  • Teemo
    Do you not consider the atomic bomb brutal?

Sure. If you weren't joking, you apparently read my post and completely ignored the context (i.e., evolution intellectually). You also must have missed that it was poking fun at the ridiculousness of using evolutionary markers to support paleo. [Which is something you haven't done so, again, it wasn't really directed at you.]
    And speaking of correlation's, isn’t that the boogyman you have been claiming we use?

Isn't "what" the boogeyman?
    I want to see your scientific peer reviewed evidence that eating grains lead to all the good you claim.

See my above post on burden of proof. And if you're referring to scientific evidence that eating grain leads to superior intellectual evolution... I'll simply point to... me! Or you! See? Indisputable scientific proof that eating grain is superior. Guess who ATE grains? Einstein (during his brilliant years before he had a crisis of conscience, lol). The people who built the pyramids. Mozart. Bobby Fischer. Probably everyone during the Renaissance.

Guess who DIDN'T eat grains? Some caveman guy who didn't leave any lasting mark on history.

So there you go. People ate grains and invented the computer and the theory of Relativity and b uilt structures that have lasted thousands of years and composed music to bring tears to the stoniest of hearts and created fantastic chess masterpieces and paintings.

People didn't eat grains and got killed by sabretooth tigers.

Anyway, before you write a serious response please note that none of that last paragraph was intended to be serious.
This discussion has been closed.