100+ lbs to lose support group

Options

Replies

• KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly, Stephanie!!!! That's fantastic!!! Please tell me what you did to have such an awesome loss!!! Wow! Consider yourself MY motivation for the week!
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hello, Rose! I wanted to welcome you to MFP (My Fitness Pal)! I also wanted to let you know that there are challenges if you need that extra push. I have been doing a challenge since April 1st and have lost 19.8 pounds to this day. :) Very motivational. We do a challenge every month, and weigh in every Friday to a team captain. Within a couple days, the team captain will post everyone's weight loss so we can all support eachother. It is very encourage me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/228812-may-10-lb-weight-loss-challange is the link to the forum for this :) Good luck on your journey and hope to see you in Next month's challenge!!!
  • tinddon
    tinddon Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I would like to join your group. I have 122 lbs to lose. I am starting to have health problems because of it, but I struggle everyday with getting my eating under control.:frown:
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    Question - Have any of you done or started to do the C25K training? A friend of mine asked me to do a 5K with her and a couple other friends in August. I'm very leary of signing up and then not being able to do it. C25K would be a great way to train for it, but the just thought of jogging/running, gives me chest pains. I'd like to hear from someone that's doing it or done it.
  • suzyq584
    suzyq584 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new friends!!!! I'm so stoked to see this thread so active!!! You ladies are awesome! :-)

Today's my day off from working out. The whole thing is so bizarre to me. Every day that I work out, I spend most of the day trying to come up with an excuse as to why I can't do it that night. And (just about) every day, I suck it up and end up doing the workout. I hate every minute of it. But once it's done, I'm so thrilled with myself for having done it. And then there's days like today where it's my off day. And I spend the whole evening thinking 'I should work out right now. It's early. I have plenty of time. Maybe I'll just go for a walk.' But there's a reason why I give myself a day off. It's the reward for busting my *kitten* the whole rest of the week.

OMG this sounds EXACTLY like me!!! Why do we do this to ourselves?!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey I am LaJauna. I have been on this journey since February 2011. I lost 22 lbs fell off the wagon and gained it all back and am now ready to head back to healthy! I want to start a challenge. I have had 9 days of clean eating. Anyone else what to start a streak?

Streaking: 9 days and counting (cheat free and proud!

Streaking:10 days
  • suzyq584
    Options
    thanks for the help! Just another quick question... how do you all feel about lots of fruit in the diet? I know they are high in sugar, but because they are natural sugar is this really a bad thing? One thing I do have lot's of easy access to is fruit, so just wantin some more input on this. Thanks!

You really can't eat enough fruit (because it's naturally bulky) to do much damage with that fructose. Fruit tends to be very high in happy vitamins and nutrients, and often has a good bit of fiber, too. I eat fruit. Some days (like today, which has been awful), I only get in a banana or a nectarine, but I do try to get in at least three servings of fruit and three of veggies. Even with my blood sugar issues (and I have news on that!), I think fruit is a perfect food for snacks and desserts. Not fruit juice, but just plain, happy fruit.

And my A1c? Down from 6.9% to 5.7 in just a couple of months! Yay!

Kris

YAY Kris!!! That is great news!! What have you been doing differently?
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody!
    Hi! I've been looking, and can't seem to find any open support groups for thos of us who have 100+ to lose. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. :ohwell: Anyways, I thought it might be a good idea to get us a group togather so we can all deal with this journey together. Anyone with me on this? I am very new to MFP, so I don't know a whole lot about how the whole group thing works, but maybe someone elso out there has more knowledge, and together we can do this. So lets go on and unleash our inner skinny selves! :smile:

I Started my weightloss Journey back in November 2010.. And I was 312 .. I am now 115lbs less but have anothr 30-40lbs to go..I Would love to be on your Journey to a healthier us.. If you would like to add me :wink:

GoodLuck:wink:
  • suzyq584
    Options
    Hi Jen,

What is the C25K training your are talking about? I would love to run too but right now it is too painful and I can't even imagine being able to do it! Would love to check this out.

Oh, PS...I love MasterChef too!
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    Hi Suzy! Here's the link to the website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's basically a training plan that's supposed to get you from 'couch to 5k' in 9 weeks. But I think this plan assumes running (even in small intervals) is something we can do straight out of the gates. I'm thinking I might try to start this, but rather than jog/run just a faster walk - at least to start. I'm also thinking that I might try to do this on the treadmill, rather than around town. I really want to do this 5k with my girlfriends, but two of the three aren't remotely overweight and I'm sure it will be a breeze for them. I know they won't judge me - actually, I'm quite sure that they'll be proud of me for doing it at all - but I will judge myself and feel like I'm keeping them back.
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to log in from yesterday morning till now... So impressed by all the new people! So happy to see all the people willing to jump on the weightloss bandwagon with me. :) So welcome to each and every one of you. Good luck and Godspeed on this journey!

Also, thanks to everyone for all the support . I feel likewe have an amazing group of peopl here, so can't wait to get to know everyone better.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would like to join your group. I have 122 lbs to lose. I am starting to have health problems because of it, but I struggle everyday with getting my eating under control.:frown:

Welcome to MFP. I sent a friend request to you. This is a wonderful community and I'm glad you're here.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi there! I'd love to join this group - any extra motivation helps! Let's see, I'm 22, in graduate school, and have been overweight basically my entire life. I've tried losing weight before, but I just couldn't stick to it. I've gone through periods of losing 20lbs, then gaining 30lbs. It's so annoying!! Anyway, I'm right around 285 now. My goal weight for now is 190. Once I get there, I'll lower it to my true goal weight of 140. So I've got a lot to lose!! I have one more year in school and I'm hoping that by the time I get a real "grown-up job" I'll be close to my goal weight (or at least below 200). Feel free to add me as a friend, I enjoy reading and commenting on other peoples' successful days! Good luck!
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi Suzy! Here's the link to the website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's basically a training plan that's supposed to get you from 'couch to 5k' in 9 weeks. But I think this plan assumes running (even in small intervals) is something we can do straight out of the gates. I'm thinking I might try to start this, but rather than jog/run just a faster walk - at least to start. I'm also thinking that I might try to do this on the treadmill, rather than around town. I really want to do this 5k with my girlfriends, but two of the three aren't remotely overweight and I'm sure it will be a breeze for them. I know they won't judge me - actually, I'm quite sure that they'll be proud of me for doing it at all - but I will judge myself and feel like I'm keeping them back.

I'm just starting the C25K program. It's going to take me a lot longer than 9 weeks!! The first week I could barely "jog" for 30 seconds at a time, so I modified it to jogging 30 seconds/walking 45. My best friend recently lost 95lbs and has been running 5ks, and she's definitely an inspiration. I totally understand not wanting to keep your friends back - I'd feel the same way if I were running with her! It's all about getting out there and starting on a healthy path!!

Good luck!
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'd love to join this group - any extra motivation helps! Let's see, I'm 22, in graduate school, and have been overweight basically my entire life. I've tried losing weight before, but I just couldn't stick to it. I've gone through periods of losing 20lbs, then gaining 30lbs. It's so annoying!! Anyway, I'm right around 285 now. My goal weight for now is 190. Once I get there, I'll lower it to my true goal weight of 140. So I've got a lot to lose!! I have one more year in school and I'm hoping that by the time I get a real "grown-up job" I'll be close to my goal weight (or at least below 200). Feel free to add me as a friend, I enjoy reading and commenting on other peoples' successful days! Good luck!
    I totally know how you feel about the 20-30 thing. Been there, done that! Welcome,and good luck!
  • suzyq584
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I have great ladies I met on another site's support boards are both runners. I have sent them the C25K link and am asking them for their opinion. I would love to be able to run 5K! Maybe I'll give it a try with you. I will also have to do it in the gym since the weather where I live does not offer the opportunity to run (or be!) outside. Today it is 113!!
  • EmilyDezo
    EmilyDezo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey guys my name is Emily and I'm 27 years old. I have two little boys...9months and 3 1/2 years. They're great and I want to be around for them as long as possible. I lost 80 lbs before I had my first one and vowed I'd never have to loose that again....but here I am after three pregnancies...one miscarriage...and two difficult pregnancies (breaking my ankle and being gestational diabetic with my first and having kidney and iron problems with my second and high blood pressure at the end with both pregnancies.) I am a teacher and decided to dedicate this summer to getting healthy...so my goal...how much weight can I loose before school starts again? I have lost 12 lbs so far. Last week my mom who is 51 ended up having open heart surgery with a double by-pass unexpectedly. I don't want to have to do this. Both my parents are on insulin for type 2 diabetes. I want to change the family history and have to lead by example. I believe that I can do this....it is tough some times, but I'll get there eventually. Feel free to add me as a friend.
    Emily
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help! Just another quick question... how do you all feel about lots of fruit in the diet? I know they are high in sugar, but because they are natural sugar is this really a bad thing? One thing I do have lot's of easy access to is fruit, so just wantin some more input on this. Thanks!

You really can't eat enough fruit (because it's naturally bulky) to do much damage with that fructose. Fruit tends to be very high in happy vitamins and nutrients, and often has a good bit of fiber, too. I eat fruit. Some days (like today, which has been awful), I only get in a banana or a nectarine, but I do try to get in at least three servings of fruit and three of veggies. Even with my blood sugar issues (and I have news on that!), I think fruit is a perfect food for snacks and desserts. Not fruit juice, but just plain, happy fruit.

Kris

The biggest things? Old fashioned watching carbs for the blood sugar (no more than fifty per meal, usually, and no more than 30 per snack) and watching calories for the weight loss (which becomes easier when you're limited on the carbs you can have). I've found all sorts of ways that I can still enjoy what I eat and have varied meals without blowing the carbs or calories. Though I do have a short (four day) trip coming up and I know that keeping my carbs limited in restaurant settings will be more difficult, though I am confident I can--I've done it before and my blood sugar's been good afterwards.

Oh, and exercise, which doesn't really do too much for my weight loss, but it really lowers my blood sugar dramatically--I drop 30-40 points when I work out for an hour.

Having to watch those carbs has made me super-aware of everything I eat and drink. And that's been the key, I think.

:-)

Kris
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I spent an hour in my parents' basement today (or should I say yesterday) due to really bad storms in our area and there was a tornado warning. I live in a part of michigan that very rarely sees tornado warnings. I was at the gym working out and since my phone was dead before leaving I left it on the charger at home. Therefore my husband called the front desk of the gym and had them come get me and he told me to come home and we were going to my mom's because there was a tornado warning. I am terrified of tornadoes so I ran back to the elliptical, grabbed my stuff and hightailed it out of there, telling everybody I saw that there was a tornado warning. Some were like "I just got here, I'm not leaving." and others said " thanks for the information." sorry for caring about your safety! There was a sighting about 3 miles from my parents' house so we stayed in the basement for quite a while after they cancelled the warning. I am very thankful that nothing bad happened and that it all passed over. As for my workout, I got in 34 of the 38 minutes I was going to do, so I didn't lose many calories burned. I ended up going over on sodium but was golden on calories. Hope all had a great day.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Kris

The biggest things? Old fashioned watching carbs for the blood sugar (no more than fifty per meal, usually, and no more than 30 per snack) and watching calories for the weight loss (which becomes easier when you're limited on the carbs you can have). I've found all sorts of ways that I can still enjoy what I eat and have varied meals without blowing the carbs or calories. Though I do have a short (four day) trip coming up and I know that keeping my carbs limited in restaurant settings will be more difficult, though I am confident I can--I've done it before and my blood sugar's been good afterwards.

Oh, and exercise, which doesn't really do too much for my weight loss, but it really lowers my blood sugar dramatically--I drop 30-40 points when I work out for an hour.

Having to watch those carbs has made me super-aware of everything I eat and drink. And that's been the key, I think.

:-)

Kris

I could never do 50 grams of carbs per meal! Oh my gosh! I am diabetic and I have to keep my carbs under 100 a day but I never get that high or I have huge spikes!