100+ lbs to lose support group

Options

Replies

• suzyq584
    suzyq584 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kris - Congratulations on your successes. It sounds like you really have this thing down now. Fabulous!!! :)

Jen - Here is what my runner friends said about the C25K: "I am so glad you are interested in C25K programs. Since you can exercise in pretty good intensity for more than 30 minutes at a time, I would say it is totally feasible for you to take up on running. By saying 'running', I don't mean for you to become to run continuously for 5K in 2 or 3 months. Michele and I are marathoners but we always follow Jeff Galloway's run walk run method - in other words, we are not purists when it comes to running. :) Lots of times my run/walk ratio is 2:1. I won't worry too much about my speed until my weight is 20-30 pounds lighter.

If you decide to train for a 5K, use that program as a guideline and use your breathing to guide when to switch between run and walk. I would start with 30 seconds or even 20 seconds run first. For the run part, never run all out, just pick up your pace do faster shuffling in short strides (avoid long strides), keep your feet close to the ground, and elbows low and close to your body. Before you even follow a training program, do something like this: after warm up, pick up your pace a little, when your breathing becomes labored, push it for 5-10 seconds more then walk. Walk until you can breathe comfortably then run/jog. Do this exercise 2-3 times a week until you get used to the labored breathing and can jog up to 60 seconds. Then it is time to sign up for a 5K and start the formal training. :) "

I'm going to test this on myself next time I'm at the gym (won't be until next week since I'm going camping this weekend) and see if I can do 30 seconds without croaking! If so...I'll try the 60. Once I'm able to do 60 without throwing up (!) I will start the C25K. We can do it together if you'd like but I don't want to hold you back if you are ready to start now. :)

Newbies - Welcome!!

Everyone - Have a great day!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help! Just another quick question... how do you all feel about lots of fruit in the diet? I know they are high in sugar, but because they are natural sugar is this really a bad thing? One thing I do have lot's of easy access to is fruit, so just wantin some more input on this. Thanks!

You really can't eat enough fruit (because it's naturally bulky) to do much damage with that fructose. Fruit tends to be very high in happy vitamins and nutrients, and often has a good bit of fiber, too. I eat fruit. Some days (like today, which has been awful), I only get in a banana or a nectarine, but I do try to get in at least three servings of fruit and three of veggies. Even with my blood sugar issues (and I have news on that!), I think fruit is a perfect food for snacks and desserts. Not fruit juice, but just plain, happy fruit.

And my A1c? Down from 6.9% to 5.7 in just a couple of months! Yay!

Kris

YAY Kris!!! That is great news!! What have you been doing differently?

The biggest things? Old fashioned watching carbs for the blood sugar (no more than fifty per meal, usually, and no more than 30 per snack) and watching calories for the weight loss (which becomes easier when you're limited on the carbs you can have). I've found all sorts of ways that I can still enjoy what I eat and have varied meals without blowing the carbs or calories. Though I do have a short (four day) trip coming up and I know that keeping my carbs limited in restaurant settings will be more difficult, though I am confident I can--I've done it before and my blood sugar's been good afterwards.

Oh, and exercise, which doesn't really do too much for my weight loss, but it really lowers my blood sugar dramatically--I drop 30-40 points when I work out for an hour.

Having to watch those carbs has made me super-aware of everything I eat and drink. And that's been the key, I think.

:-)

Kris

I could never do 50 grams of carbs per meal! Oh my gosh! I am diabetic and I have to keep my carbs under 100 a day but I never get that high or I have huge spikes!

We all have different bodies--under fifty carbs tends to be the standard for diabetics in my boat. You're in a different boat, and you know your body and your sugar levels better than anyone. For me, 50 carbs or so for dinner usually leaves me in the 120s. Two nights ago I had 1/6 of a pound cake, with unsweetened mixed berries and whipped cream, and my blood sugar was 112 two hours later. Understand that three months ago, that wasn't the case. Three months ago, a few slices of bread put me up to 200. So things are changing for me. You do what works for you--you need to be healthy!

Kris
  • thordisintho
    thordisintho Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I would like to join your group!
    I'm 22yrs old and from Iceland. We use kg here but according to a converter I have about 143 lbs to lose.
    I've gained this weight over the last 5-7 years. I used to play team handball, have two very fit soccer player older brothers. I've always known how to lose the weight, I just can't get motivated to stick to it. The fact that I tend to eat emotionally isn't really slimming either.

So anyway, I reached a HW of 140kg (308lbs) last week and signed up here on Monday. Today I'm at 138.3kg or 304lbs and I cheated two days, so it has made me realise what I can accomplish just by monitoring my intake.

Can't wait to get to know you all :)

Thordis
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    I spent an hour in my parents' basement today (or should I say yesterday) due to really bad storms in our area and there was a tornado warning. I live in a part of michigan that very rarely sees tornado warnings. I was at the gym working out and since my phone was dead before leaving I left it on the charger at home. Therefore my husband called the front desk of the gym and had them come get me and he told me to come home and we were going to my mom's because there was a tornado warning. I am terrified of tornadoes so I ran back to the elliptical, grabbed my stuff and hightailed it out of there, telling everybody I saw that there was a tornado warning. Some were like "I just got here, I'm not leaving." and others said " thanks for the information." sorry for caring about your safety! There was a sighting about 3 miles from my parents' house so we stayed in the basement for quite a while after they cancelled the warning. I am very thankful that nothing bad happened and that it all passed over. As for my workout, I got in 34 of the 38 minutes I was going to do, so I didn't lose many calories burned. I ended up going over on sodium but was golden on calories. Hope all had a great day.

I'm glad you're safe! I don't get people who don't pay attention to tornado warnings, especially after the hell those poor people went through just a couple of months ago. Better to hang out in a storm cellar for a few hours and have no tornado hit than stick around at the gym and wind up dead, right?

Kris
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Jen - Here is what my runner friends said about the C25K: "I am so glad you are interested in C25K programs. Since you can exercise in pretty good intensity for more than 30 minutes at a time, I would say it is totally feasible for you to take up on running. By saying 'running', I don't mean for you to become to run continuously for 5K in 2 or 3 months. Michele and I are marathoners but we always follow Jeff Galloway's run walk run method - in other words, we are not purists when it comes to running. :) Lots of times my run/walk ratio is 2:1. I won't worry too much about my speed until my weight is 20-30 pounds lighter.

If you decide to train for a 5K, use that program as a guideline and use your breathing to guide when to switch between run and walk. I would start with 30 seconds or even 20 seconds run first. For the run part, never run all out, just pick up your pace do faster shuffling in short strides (avoid long strides), keep your feet close to the ground, and elbows low and close to your body. Before you even follow a training program, do something like this: after warm up, pick up your pace a little, when your breathing becomes labored, push it for 5-10 seconds more then walk. Walk until you can breathe comfortably then run/jog. Do this exercise 2-3 times a week until you get used to the labored breathing and can jog up to 60 seconds. Then it is time to sign up for a 5K and start the formal training. :) "

I'm going to test this on myself next time I'm at the gym (won't be until next week since I'm going camping this weekend) and see if I can do 30 seconds without croaking! If so...I'll try the 60. Once I'm able to do 60 without throwing up (!) I will start the C25K. We can do it together if you'd like but I don't want to hold you back if you are ready to start now. :)

Newbies - Welcome!!

Everyone - Have a great day!

Thanks for sharing your friend's feedback. That was extremely helpful. I have been toying with the idea of the C25K for a couple of weeks now. I would love to try it.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Suzy - Thanks so much for getting your friend's feedback. I'd love to hear how it goes for her. I think I may try it out. But like I said before, I'm a little hesitant.

Last night, I did a double strength workout. I did the regular beginner's strength & sculpt on my BL DVD. I wanted to watch the next step in the strength training bc at the end of it, I'd barely broken a sweat and felt like maybe I could move to the next one. The plan was to sit in the recliner and watch the Boot Camp workout. And as they started, I thought to myself - let me just try this one, too. So I got up and did the second one - the whole way through! (Well, with the exception of jumping jacks and jumping - I modify those actions because my knees will definitely give out if I try to jump like that!) So, I did a total of 40 minutes of strength training, plus 15 minutes warm up & cool down! I was definitely proud of myself last night. My arms feel rather jello-like today, so I'm sure I did something right. :laugh: Unfortunately, the stupid scale didn't agree with me. It went up a pound this morning. I'm still down almost 4 lbs this week, which is nothing to sneeze at. But the last three days, the scale hasn't been kind. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. Tonight is cardio night...Might try the high impact again. I tried it a few days ago and got about 7 minutes in and thought I was going to die. Had to switch back to the low impact. Maybe today will be better. :-)

I'm going out for dinner tonight. To one of my all time favorite restaurants - BD's Mongolian BBQ. It's basically a stirfry buffet where you pick out your proteins, veggies & sauce and then they fry it up in front on you. I've already checked out the nutrition info on their website and have decided what I'm going to eat. Normally, I do a couple bowls - one with shrimp, scallops & krab and one with shrimp & steak. But seeing the amount of sodium in the krab & shrimp, I decided to go with salmon & steak and only ONE bowl. I'll load up on veggies and get my regular sauce - teriyaki. There's a ton of sodium in the sauce, too. So, I definitely feel better about eliminating 500mg with the switch from shrimp to salmon.

I've signed up for two different challenges here on MFP. One is kind of a solo mission where the weekly "challenges" are more reflection and thought based. But with that one, you set weight goals for yourself. I'm right on track and definitely proud of the progress I've made - though I'd REALLY like to be one of the biggest losers one of these weeks. That would be fantastical. :-) The second challenge group that I signed up for is broken into teams of three. No real weight goals, other than to be the biggest losers. The challenges for the week are a couple of small tasks per day. For example, today's challenges are:

Thursday:
    30 minutes of exercise
    9 cups of water

And then you weigh in once a week and the teams compete to be biggest losers. I'm having a lot of fun with these challenges. They keep me motivated and make me want to work harder. Yesterday's double strength workout was definitely related to wanting to succeed in these challenges.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    After reading all the 5K talk I thought I'd share with you my 5K experience. In March I could barely run from one telephone pole to the next. Although I didn't follow the couch to 5K plan I used basically the same method. Alternating a brisk walk with light jogging. I did this daily for about 2months 3 times a week and always did 30 minutes of power walking on the off days. It's amazing how fast your body adapts to change and gets stronger. I promised myself that I would run an official 5k as soon as I could do it in less than 45 minutes.

On June 11th I ran the TripleCrown 5k in 43 minutes with my husband (30mins)! What a thrill. I'm a long way from being a runner, but reaching that milestone was amazine!! If I can do it so can all of YOU!!!

I'm going to go check out other challenge threads. Good luck and I'll be around.
    ReNae
  • suzyq584
    Options
    SBrown (sorry...I don't know your name!) - You are welcome for the posts. If you give it a try before I do, I'll be anxious to hear how you do.

Jen - The ladies who provided me with the feedback are experienced runners but remember how they started (hence the tips). They have both completed many 5ks and one is currently training for a 15k! Both struggle with weight loss and are such an inspiration because they have fought through, pushed themselves and now run like 3 - 7 miles at a time! HA! I can only wish...:happy:

Good job on the double workout! Impressive!! It is so much easier to sit and watch then to get up and do so you should be VERY proud of yourself for getting up even after you had already worked out! I'm with ya on the jumping jacks vs. knees. That's one thing I'm really worried about with the running but I'll give it a try. Don't you love that muscle tiredness feeling? Really lets you know you have worked 'em! Don't be down on the 1 lb. 4 lbs in a week is amazing! It sounds like you suffer from the daily (or if as bad as me - multiple times a day) weighing. I was really bad so I put both (yes...2!) scales in my spare bathroom where I won't see them. I'm much less tempted to weigh in everyday then. It's so silly how we let that number determine our mood for the day. If it doesn't say what we want it to or what we think it should, our day is ruined. I'm saying "we" and "our" in hopes that I'm not the only crazy one who does this!!

I've been wanting to join a challenge too. Thanks for the info on the ones you are doing. I really like the sound of the reflection one. What is the name of it?
  • suzyq584
    Options
    Renae - so in 3 months you trained and we able to run a 5K? WOW! That's amazing....what an inspiration! Thanks :smile:
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    SBrown (sorry...I don't know your name!) - You are welcome for the posts. If you give it a try before I do, I'll be anxious to hear how you do.

Hi there! Stephanie is my name! Glad to meet you all. =)
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    I've been wanting to join a challenge too. Thanks for the info on the ones you are doing. I really like the sound of the reflection one. What is the name of it?

The reflection one is MEAT me at the Beach. And the other one - in case anyone else is interested - is BunchaLosers. I'm not sure if MEAT is still accepting new people. She said she wanted to cap it at a certain number. But if you're interested, send Vic a message - Newmeat30. I know for sure that BunchaLosers is still accepting folks.
  • suzyq584
    Options
    Thanks Jen. I sent Vic a message...we'll see what she says. I also told her I'm out of town and without internet access for the weekend so not to take my lack of response/posting negatively.

BTW....tomorrow morning I'm going out of town camping for the weekend and won't be back online until Monday. I don't want my MFP buddies to think I've abandoned you! I'll be back!! :wink:
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm hoping that I can join you all in this group. :) My name is Jaimee and I have about 125 pounds to lose. Looking forward to talking/getting to know all of you.
  • suzyq584
    Options
    Hi Jaimee, nice to meet you.

Jen - I'm in! Meat you at the beach on Monday! :wink:
  • marylouise86
    marylouise86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! sorry for the quietness on my part, been working nightshifts so been working and snoozing the past few days! luckily for me my nightshifts mean i am on my feet for 10 hours a night so i still get my exercise!

lost 2lbs this week...danced about my kitchen with my dog when i weighed in haha! very pleased with that! which means i have lost my first whole stone! so i treated myself to some new makeup :happy: my next goal is to get under that 200lbs mark!

i tried the C25K and it damn nearly killed me...so i am going to lose a bit more and give it a shot again then! my "jogging" was that slow that my dog barely sped up as i jogged with him :laugh:

hope everyone is having a good day! if your not feel free to message me whenever to have a rant or moan or whatever! and new peoples welcome to the group! feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well folks, I had a victory today! I have been wanting to eat little to no refined carbs, or sugar and supposedly started doing this on Monday, but have cheated every day. :( However today, I haven't eaten anything I wasn't supposed to, AND at work they had a HUGE bowl of whipped rasberry icecream... but i resisted! :bigsmile: *happy dance* I feel so good about myself!
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Good job, Rose--yay!

Kris
  • Coco187
    Coco187 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i'm in.
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!!

Do you all share your MFP stuff on Facebook? I've been sharing mine since Day one and I'm really glad I decided to do it. I have some incredibly supportive friends. Some that I rarely ever talk to will Like my losses and/or workout. Or even give an encouraging word or two. Some that I talk to on a regular basis continue to pat me on the back every time I do something good. I have one friend who told me that weekend that she's going to buy me some new clothes when I hit 50lbs lost. I told her she better start saving because that day is going to be here before she knows it! :-) I've had a number of friends join MFP after seeing my success and I'm so glad that they have. It's really nice to have that support!

Anyway, hope you're all doing well and sticking to it!

Actually yes I do as well but it's more of a support group check in. Friends from all over the country are joined in trying to lose some weight. We have weigh in's on Saturday, we put a new goal up on Monday's and the rest of the week is share a healthy recipe, weight loss tip, or weight loss memory. We get Sunday's off to do whatever but I still watch myself and drink my goal of 4 or more bottles of water which equal out to 8+ glasses of water. I really dislike my tap water so I drink Safeway's bottled water, it tastes good and it's cheap! lol
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    Just stopping by to say hello to everyone. Been a CRAZY hectic day and more to come tomorrow. Hoping to drop by for some quality time with my keyboard tomorrow. Sunday, at the very latest! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!