I do DVDs so I don't need to strength train

Options

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Bump. 'Cause I want to reread this :smile: . Awesome.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Bumping this like a mug.

Read this post and re-read it ladies and gents.

Steve Troutman knows exactly what he's talking about and this post is 100% on the money.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This post is seriously one of the major reasons I ditched the excessive cardio DVDs and started back at the gym.
  • nowornever78
    nowornever78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Doesn't there come a point where the heath benefits of lifting are maximized, and any gains/additions are solely for the lifter's personal cosmetic/aesthetic goals? Why do I have to constantly be striving to work to fatigue and make my weights heavier.

I already think I'm doing enough to reap benefits, so is there any real health-based reason I have to do more? I'm using 10-25 lb dumbells for my upper body and a heavier barbell to work lower body.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    "I lift things up and put them down."

:wink: Somebody had to say it. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGZvFZdVbk

Hilarious!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    So is it too much weight if you're struggling to get to 5 or 6 reps? It seems to build my muscle fast, but I've always wondered if maybe that's too much for me or if that will cause problems when restructuring the muscle. It seems like if I can do 15, it isn't hard enough and I don't progress...
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Doesn't there come a point where the heath benefits of lifting are maximized, and any gains/additions are solely for the lifter's personal cosmetic/aesthetic goals? Why do I have to constantly be striving to work to fatigue and make my weights heavier.

I already think I'm doing enough to reap benefits, so is there any real health-based reason I have to do more? I'm using 10-25 lb dumbells for my upper body and a heavier barbell to work lower body.

If you're with your current level of muscle and your current level of strength, then no, you certainly don't need to focus on progressing the weight from this point forward. I can't say that I've ever come across this, but I suppose there are some select nuances of the female population who are genetically gifted in the muscle department and don't need much "building" in order to attain the body that they desire.

Or, the body the desire is simply not the same as the typical body that most women are shooting for.

That said, getting strong safely, in my opinion, is one of the surefire ways to better your chances of independent living later in life.

Plus, we're working with a REgressive system - meaning our muscle mass and quality is going to diminish with age. Same can be said for our bones. So it makes a lot of sense to apply a PROgressive stimulus to offset these challenges that accompany aging.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    So is it too much weight if you're struggling to get to 5 or 6 reps? It seems to build my muscle fast, but I've always wondered if maybe that's too much for me or if that will cause problems when restructuring the muscle. It seems like if I can do 15, it isn't hard enough and I don't progress...

I actually prefer the 4-6 rep range for the foundational, big movements. Granted, I don't typically train to failure. But I use weights that are challenging in that rep zone. I'll also use the 6-12 rep zone for the other components of my programs.

The reps per set aren't as important as you might think. It's more important to use a challenging enough weight for enough total volume.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Glad you found this thread, Hanna. Based on your messages to me, I think the information here is right up your alley.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You have to know your limits first. The 1 rep maximum ( 1RM ) . From there "light, moderate, and heavy" lifting weights and sets can be derived. The 1RM needs to be continually retested, every 1-2 weeks. To measure progress and advance.

But the ultimate question is WHY strength train. Necessary for your job? Your choice of sport? Like to feel strong? Do you want visual vs functional strength ( huge topic in and of itself ).

The next question is WHAT is strong? Picking up and putting down larger numbers? Or is strong moving your body weight over any obstacle for a given time? I know plenty of iron beach body builders who cant get over a wall their height or get winded climbing stairs. Yet their physiques are absurd.

Personal goals first, the results follow. I switched entirely to body weight exercises, yoga, kettlebells, and clubbells. I'm much smaller in stature, but my strength has never been higher and I dont feel a plateau coming at all. All personal choices.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You have to know your limits first. The 1 rep maximum ( 1RM ) . From there "light, moderate, and heavy" lifting weights and sets can be derived. The 1RM needs to be continually retested, every 1-2 weeks. To measure progress and advance.

I RARELY test 1RM in my own training. Or in my clients training. Can't say that I agree with this.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I RARELY test 1RM in my own training. Or in my clients training. Can't say that I agree with this.

I use jefit and it calculates my 1RM from the reps and sets I do use, that way I never actually have to do them to see where I am.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have question I want to ask at the risk of sounding stupid. I still need to lose roughly 30/40 lbs per se. Should I wait until i get a little leaner before I attempt to lift heavy? Or go ahead and incorporate that into my training? For my cardio now, I currently do the dvd's like the JM30DS, Jackie Warner Xtreme Training and walking/Jogging, alternating daily.
  • estrellita26
    estrellita26 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump...good stuff
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Strength training is so much easier for me than cardio. If I could get rid of 1, it would be the cardio. I do both. Why would anyone not want to lift weights? :laugh:
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I have question I want to ask at the risk of sounding stupid. I still need to lose roughly 30/40 lbs per se. Should I wait until i get a little leaner before I attempt to lift heavy? Or go ahead and incorporate that into my training? For my cardio now, I currently do the dvd's like the JM30DS, Jackie Warner Xtreme Training and walking/Jogging, alternating daily.

Why wait?

Among other things, strength training provides the stimulus that triggers muscle preservation while dieting. If you wait until you lose the fat, you miss out on this very important benefit.

An argument can be made that obese folks don't necessarily have to worry about it. They're a lot less likely to lose substantial muscle (though they will lose substantial lean body mass, since every pound they gain on their way toward obesity is part LBM).

But for most folks, I highly suggest diving into strength training from the get go.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Strength training is so much easier for me than cardio. If I could get rid of 1, it would be the cardio. I do both. Why would anyone not want to lift weights? :laugh:

Different strokes for different folks. I accept that.

However, I'm of the same opinion. Conditioning work exists in my training in order to supplement my hobbies, of which include endurance based activities such as mountain biking, mountaineering/backpacking, etc.

But when I've gone through fat loss phases, which I don't really do anymore, I rarely did much cardio. At least not the traditional stuff. I figured nutrition could take care of the deficit part, which is required for fat loss. And in terms of exercise, nothing could take care of the muscle preservation stuff except for high intensity activities, such as strength training.

Sadly, many people don't realize this, and they neglect strength training in favor of the lower threshold, conditioning stuff simply because that's what they know best.