I do DVDs so I don't need to strength train

Options
12345679»

Replies

• zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading and very helpful. Thanks!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bump* Thanks:-)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I don't lose it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    While I agree that resistance is needed, it does not have to be weights. Or resistance bands or kettlebells or any other "exercise equipment". There are many ways to provide enough resistance to build or maintain muscle.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how old this thread was until that last few pages. Some really great information in here. I started lifting heavy this past Spring and it seems I'm one of those lucky women who puts on muscle very easily (thanks, Dad!) but I'll never be long and lean.

I just wanted to add my appreciation to you, Steve, for everything you've imparted. I'll be bookmarking it and re-reading a good deal of it as time goes on, I think.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    While I agree that resistance is needed, it does not have to be weights. Or resistance bands or kettlebells or any other "exercise equipment". There are many ways to provide enough resistance to build or maintain muscle.

Explain pls?

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Sometimes things happen that limit a persons ability to lift heavy. I have been strong all my life, grew up on a farm and had showed 1500 pound steers in the county fair when I was younger. When I was 37 years old, I was lifting heavy and had a SCAD (Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection) in my left circumflex artery. I now have 2 stents in my heart and am limited to what I can lift, it's not worth it to me for it to happen again. I've been tested for issues and nothing was ever found. I guess this is just more of a warning, that if you ever feel your are stressing your body too much, stop. It's not worth it. This is very rare, but it does happen in athletes & fit people, I'm just thankful to be alive. I do lots of resistance training and lighter weights now, but am still fitter than most of my friends.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10393930_10152918882486458_33033324020665359_n.jpg?oh=44a7f492cbe6e5093feaefdbcf0f2c77&oe=54E15DE7
  • stroutman81
    Options

Sure, in some instances. Most though? Not in my experience.

In the original post I said, "but unless you're brand spanking new to this stuff, that's probably not going to overload your muscles and cause them to maintain while dieting or to grow."

There are a few other instances too.

But in order to maximize muscle growth (in a surplus) and maintenance (in a deficit) it's generally more than simply resistance that's needed. Rather it's progressive tension overload mixed with a few other variables. And you can certainly accomplish this without equipment. It's just a heck of a lot harder without it.

Now, some folks might not care about the maximization of muscle growth or maintenance.

My main point though, and it's mostly based on my tenure as a coach to hundreds of people (especially women)... in order to attain the look they're shooting for... they need to put a heavier focus on progressive tension overload. And the best way to accomplish it is via resistance training with weights.

I should be clear though in that I utilize an array of modalities... which any of my clients can attest to - barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, bands, suspension trainers, body weight, etc.

At the end of the day it all depends on the person, their goals, their training history, and a host of other variables. Speaking in generalities though... in the realm of building and maintaining muscle... weights are typically ideal.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I didn't realize how old this thread was until that last few pages. Some really great information in here. I started lifting heavy this past Spring and it seems I'm one of those lucky women who puts on muscle very easily (thanks, Dad!) but I'll never be long and lean.

I just wanted to add my appreciation to you, Steve, for everything you've imparted. I'll be bookmarking it and re-reading a good deal of it as time goes on, I think.

I've had those female clients who can build muscle crazily easily. It's pretty wild. And I've had very few female clients who are interested in looking "jacked." Many wanted to look lean or toned... but jacked? No.

I don't think there's anything wrong with those women who want jacked.

But for those women who a) are simply looking for the lean/toned look and b) put on muscle very easily... sometimes it's a matter of actually AVOIDING resistance training (at least in certain body parts that tend to grow like weeds on them).

As I noted above... it all comes down to the person and the situation.

I wish I sprouted muscle so easily!!

But you're welcome... thanks for sharing your appreciation.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Sometimes things happen that limit a persons ability to lift heavy. I have been strong all my life, grew up on a farm and had showed 1500 pound steers in the county fair when I was younger. When I was 37 years old, I was lifting heavy and had a SCAD (Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection) in my left circumflex artery. I now have 2 stents in my heart and am limited to what I can lift, it's not worth it to me for it to happen again. I've been tested for issues and nothing was ever found. I guess this is just more of a warning, that if you ever feel your are stressing your body too much, stop. It's not worth it. This is very rare, but it does happen in athletes & fit people, I'm just thankful to be alive. I do lots of resistance training and lighter weights now, but am still fitter than most of my friends.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10393930_10152918882486458_33033324020665359_n.jpg?oh=44a7f492cbe6e5093feaefdbcf0f2c77&oe=54E15DE7

Yup... individual circumstances certainly apply. They need to be factored in in all cases. If in question... go see a qualified medical professional for review and clearance.

Glad you're okay!

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    But for those women who a) are simply looking for the lean/toned look and b) put on muscle very easily... sometimes it's a matter of actually AVOIDING resistance training (at least in certain body parts that tend to grow like weeds on them).

As I noted above... it all comes down to the person and the situation.

I wish I sprouted muscle so easily!!

But you're welcome... thanks for sharing your appreciation.
    So, true! I actually don't do much leg work for exactly that reason. My calves are already large enough (14.5") and are rock solid, no "jiggle". They've always been like that but running has made them even more so. I have no desire for them to get any larger as I do enjoy wearing long pants in the winter. I also carry most of my weight on my hips and thighs. I'm not worried about the "long and lean" look as I'm short and I've always been muscular. I'm just trying to avoid looking like Mary Lou Retton since it's the way my body seems to go.