diet soda is HORRIBLE

Options

Replies

• mcgwnkrista
    Options
    The problem is that a lot of those studies are flawed and the evidence isn't as concrete as it should be. In one of the articles, it even says: "This study has major flaws and should not change anyone's diet soda consumption".

I'm not saying diet soda isn't bad but I think as long as you have it in moderation, you'll be ok . I try to stick to carbonated water if I really want soda, diet or regular.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    My guess is that toxic shock syndrome gets more deaths per year than diet soda.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'm screwed. :grumble:

But I don't drink it anymore...can I reverse the effects oh wise one? :tongue:
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    guess i'm gonna die!!!! oh well..... so is everyone else on this planet.

Me Too!!!
  • exDICE
    exDICE Posts: 1
    Options
    I drank my first diet Dr. Pepper yesterday in like 3 years...I find water taste better.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this right.

Diet soda is more dangerous then drinking Alcohol, smoking cigarettes, exposure from your cell phone, asbestos, radiation (from x-rays and other such things), sunscreen, tanning, flat out overeating, and driving in a car?

Because it kills more people per year? Really?

Okay. I still think I'll take my chances. =D
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Me Too!!!

Me too, I used to drink it all day long when I was a teenager, now it's once in a while
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all will die someday, but it please be aware that "diet" soda will hinder your wieghtloss efforts. The body does not know how to break it down and it will still act as if it is sugar in your body. I challlenge anybody to give up diet soda and watch their body drop 5 lbs within a couple weeks just by that change.

I've given up diet soda for months at a time because of lack of money. Never caused me to lose weight. I wish it was that easy.

On the other hand, I've been drinking diet soda for the last few months (good sale prices in the spring/summer) and am losing weight quite steadily. Thank you.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Yes, we all will die someday, but it please be aware that "diet" soda will hinder your wieghtloss efforts. The body does not know how to break it down and it will still act as if it is sugar in your body. I challlenge anybody to give up diet soda and watch their body drop 5 lbs within a couple weeks just by that change.

I drink diet soda every day - and I've gone without it for weeks too - no change. It curbs my appetite and any sweet craving I may have. Bad for me and full of who knows what? - sure - but hindering weight loss? nope.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options

at least i'll die happy :)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

i would love to take that challenge.. i need support though cause i'm addicted to diet coke... :))
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you may not get cancer but it's been studied to increase diabetes (don't know how much I believe that because I think the increase in diabetes is sugar being in EVERYTHING in American food)... but, you know, if you like ingesting chlorine and something that was created through inventing pesticide, go for it. Splenda is marketed towards people with diabetes and in fact, it's AWFUL for them. It's not a no calorie sweetener.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I was planning to never die. This changes everything.

LMFAO!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you may not get cancer but it's been studied to increase diabetes (don't know how much I believe that because I think the increase in diabetes is sugar being in EVERYTHING in American food)... but, you know, if you like ingesting chlorine and something that was created through inventing pesticide, go for it. Splenda is marketed towards people with diabetes and in fact, it's AWFUL for them. It's not a no calorie sweetener.

You ingest chorine anytime you eat anything with salt in it :noway:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is the #1 killer in America, AND WE WON'T EVEN ADMIT IT!

Look at all these articles linking it to so many horrible diseases.

http://fyiliving.com/diet/nutrition/is-diet-cola-really-bad-to-the-bone/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/news/20100208/pancreatic-cancer-linked-sodas

You're all going to die if you keep drinking this crap!

your own links -

"This study has major flaws and should not change anyone's diet soda consumption," said ABC News Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser.

THANK YOU! No study can PROVE anything...what they can do is offer evidence towards something to reject the null hypothesis. MANY studies are needed all with the same results in order to be able to generalize anything to the general public. And yes,...there will always be those outliers (exceptional cases) but people go nuts over minor things!

As someone said earlier too...all things in moderation :)
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Diet soda is the #1 killer in America, AND WE WON'T EVEN ADMIT IT!

Look at all these articles linking it to so many horrible diseases.

http://fyiliving.com/diet/nutrition/is-diet-cola-really-bad-to-the-bone/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/diet-soda-linked-heart-attack-stroke-risk/story?id=12868269

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/news/20100208/pancreatic-cancer-linked-sodas

You're all going to die if you keep drinking this crap!

You know all sarcasm aside I know for fact that you could interchange this almost everything in the average american diet! I used to be a big time pop addict in my teen years! The only reason I never drank diet soda is the aspartame. Fear mongering won't change anybody and certainly doesn't make you better than the diet pop drinkers.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with Captain Morgan's, that crosses out any of the bad stuff in it! :drinker:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The sun will eventually go supernova and kill us all. I say we move or ban the sun.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I mix mine with Captain Morgan's, that crosses out any of the bad stuff in it! :drinker:

Now that one cracked me up! :devil:
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You ingest chorine anytime you eat anything with salt in it noway

It's CHLORINE, for one, and two, that's sodium CHLORIDE. Chemistry, learn it. Different things. ChloRINE when ingested is a carcinogen, no different than smoking a cigarette. Specifically, it's been used in poisonous gases (read: bombs).

Not gonna argue chemistry here but the fact is that sucralose/Splenda and all of these artificial faux sweeteners are NOT no calorie and that's why the person who said about cutting it out of your diet can make a difference. This is because in a cup of the artificial sweetener, there's about 100 calories. Sure, in a can of soda there wouldn't be a cup of fake sugar, BUT when you drink multiple diet sodas per day and add in the "sugar free" jello and "sugar free" canned fruits and "sugar free" candy... it can easily add up to a cup. Those dieting people don't add in those 100 calories, at least I wouldn't think they would because they think it's diet! So it fudges up your daily calorie intake.