diet soda is HORRIBLE

Options

Replies

• hwholland
    hwholland Posts: 6
    Options
    I find it funny all the people saying "Oh well we are all gonna die anyways"
    With that type of attitude why are you even trying to lose weight? Go get yourself a greasy burger and some fries and enjoy life!! Gonna die anyways...

Maybe they'd rather die shredded and looking good.
  • Tintamar5678
    Options
    Maybe they'd rather die shredded and looking good.

Look good for the worms =)
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    Dont believe everything you read-I have been drinking diet soda for over 40 years and I also did sweet-n-low. I got off sweet-n-low only becaue I like splenda better. Just because someone wants to espouse their views with twisted statsitics and or supposed facts does not make it correct. Please just have fun here and do not bring what you percieve as bad news.
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    Oh yeah and diet soda killed Kenny!!!!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm going to die anyway. It's pretty much a given. Probably die laughing, but I'm going to die.

If you read these articles V E R Y S L O W L Y and C A R E F U L L Y, engaging brain while reading, you'll notice a distinct lack of direct causation. You can look up 'causation' by googling it...:huh:

Sorry. I think there are a lot of other factors that are completely ignored in these articles that contribute. They're making huge leaps and assumptions.

Yes. I am in a foul mood. Probably the diet coke I had for breakfast.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Oh noes, we're gunna die!

I understand that some of you avoid diet soda as part of clean eating. That's great. I don't choose to follow that route.

News sources that are trying to sound dramatic often confuse correlation with causation. For instance, there is a correlation between diet soda consumption and diabetes. Diabetics are more likely to drink diet soda than non- diabetics. Does that mean diet soda causes diabetes? Not at all. It means that diabetics are more aware of their sugar consumption, and are more likely to avoid high sugar foods such as sugared soda. So they drink diet soda more. This gets turned around all the time by the press and becomes the ominous message that diabetes is caused by diet soda. Nonsense.
  • Tiffani3089
    Tiffani3089 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would rather save my calories for beer and food.. SOOOO bring on the diet soda! .. Drinking your empty calories is worse for you in my opinion anyways.. they say it triggers the "sweets cravings" but when you have self control it really doesn't... I hardly ever crave sweets.. I used to have a diet soda atleast once a day to swap it up but now Its more like every couple of days.. I LOVE CALORIE FREE DRINKS :)
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you're all laughing, diet drinks are a serious issue over here. They're the number one cause of alcoholism, drug abuse, and knife crime in this country. The diet pepsi vs. diet coke gang wars have become so extreme that people are too scared to leave their houses for fear of being caught in the crossfire.

ROFLMAOH!!! Oh my, I got strange looks here at work for giggling over this
  • Tintamar5678
    Options
    I didn't read any of those links but I try to stay away from anything with Aspartame in it.
    I have switched my sugar substitute in my morning coffee to Truvia or other sweeteners that do not contain aspartame in it.
    I also stay away from soda or anything with carbination in it. I think it hinders the weight loss
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I find it funny all the people saying "Oh well we are all gonna die anyways"
    With that type of attitude why are you even trying to lose weight? Go get yourself a greasy burger and some fries and enjoy life!! Gonna die anyways...

Well I'm not really trying to lose weight, it has just been a side effect of getting back into running. And I run because I enjoy it, not because I want to be healthier. I had a greasy burger and fries (well actually onion rings) just the other day and it was great. But since the topic of things that could kill me has been brought up, I knew someone who died running when he was 22 so I guess that is more dangerous than being overweight...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I'm starting to love these threads. ~nods~

If you don't want to drink diet soda or use artificial sweeteners, don't.
    I choose to drink and use them. We are both entitled to our decisions.

I have yet to see someone call diet sodas and artificial sweeteners 'healthy'. It isn't, but I've yet to read actual evidence that suggests it's going to harm me.

If you want to educate others to your way of thinking, something a bit less sensational is likely to be more efficient.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of those links but I try to stay away from anything with Aspartame in it.
    I have switched my sugar substitute in my morning coffee to Truvia or other sweeteners that do not contain aspartame in it.
    I also stay away from soda or anything with carbination in it. I think it hinders the weight loss

I would love to use Stevia plant as a sweetner but I need to do online research and find out how to use it! I agree with you -- I think the bloating from all the carbonation is bad enough.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I was planning to never die. This changes everything.

ahahaha yep threw a wrench in my plans...DANGIT!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone else is brainwashed by the Mercola cult.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't even drink soda and I am terrified. What if a can of diet soda breaks into my apartment and tries to kill me as I sleep? *fretfully wrings hands*
  • sstryniak
    sstryniak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The FDA is corrupt. They allow certain things to be legal, such as aspartame and sucralose, because it is controlled by the government, which wants to make money. Cigarettes are legal because the government makes a lot of money off of them (cigarette sales and medical bills when the harmful effects kick in). The government nor does the FDA care about your personal well-being.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The FDA is corrupt. They allow certain things to be legal, such as aspartame and sucralose, because it is controlled by the government, which wants to make money. Cigarettes are legal because the government makes a lot of money off of them (cigarette sales and medical bills when the harmful effects kick in). The government nor does the FDA care about your personal well-being.
    Your tinfoil hat is restricting blood flow to your brain.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's AWFUL! Oh wait, you're talking about the health problems? Yeah, those suck too. :P
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I do not drink the stuff.
    I am going to live FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!! lol
  • hwholland
    hwholland Posts: 6
    Options

It doesn't hinder weight loss. Body builders live on diet soda when getting prepped for a competition.