Tour de France CHALLENGE!

Alrighty now, today is the first day of the Tour de France, the greatest bicycle race on earth. 198 of the best cyclists start the race today (stage one is happening right now) and the ones who survive ride up to 140 miles (on the longest day) for 21 days of the next 23 days (so they get two "rest days" on which they will all ride as well, honestly) for a total of 3,430.5 km or 2,144 miles. Insanity!

So, here's the CHALLENGE: I challenge you to bike at least 21 days of the next 23. Let's say a minimum of 30 minutes cycling each day. Maximum of two rest days. You can bike indoors or out, on any sort of bicycle, in any sort of situation (road, mountainbike, tandem, whatever). The challenge runs from July 2nd through July 24th.

The goal is to keep moving! And, to see how many folks we can get to do it together. Bonus brownie points for posting a photo of you on a bike, as well!

Who's with me?

Join me in the Tour de France Challenge! :bigsmile: (I'm off to ride now!)

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Yes! I needed this! :) I bought a bike and haven't been riding it as often as I should! Thanks for the challenge!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Absolutely! I'm there!

I'm so bummed that I don't have a way of watching the Tour, this year. We don't have cable, and even if we did, our cable provider sucks and doesn't carry any stations that cover the Tour. Lame! So I'm limited to small snippets online.

EDIT: It's on NBC! So I can watch it! Yay!
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    I wish i had a bike i would totally do this too.
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    I'm in ! I ll resume my biking/spinning from Tuesday and I usually d like one hour per day .
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
    This is awesome! I just dusted off my bike and have been riding in the AM with my fiance. Even bought me a new seat yesterday, funny he took mine. LOL!
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    I am in, already got a big cycling month planned
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    My bike got stolen, so I can't partake :cry:

Just wanted to let you know that last year, we went to see the riders when they passed by our county (?) (called l'Ain). It was quite an experience! We waited for hours next to the road (after walking 2kms to a spot because the road was closed), and then all the riders took about 2 mins to pass! LOL We barely saw them -they were going downhill- but it was fun. This year they are not coming so close, so we'll miss them.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    funkyspunky871 - How could you not ride a new bike! WOOHOO!

Trishkit - if you don't have Versus, try NBC (which will show some stages) because they now own Versus, or try online, where NBC sells complete coverage for under $30, I think.

RWSMLS09 - try some yard sales or get on freecycle (email lists or website) in your area and ask for a bike.

Colfiii - Yea! Resume the riding!

IrishChik - A dusted off bike is like a new one! :o)

CDGolden - Yea! I'm glad it fits your plan!

Papillon22 - So cool you got to see them. Can you borrow a bike? Or look for one at yard sales or in recycling? County is probably the right word in English but most Americans (who watch the Tour) would understand Department, as well.
  • nerdieprofessor
    And be sure to post each day to let us know you did your ride! :o) I'll try to track.
  • nerdieprofessor
    And be sure to post each day to let us know you did your ride! :o) I'll try to track.
  • Trishkit
    Will do! :-)
  • nerdieprofessor
    Who rode today, 7/2? Let us know!

Octoprof 7/2: 47 minutes

funkyspunky871

Trishkit

RWSMLS09

Colfiii

IrishChik

CDGolden

Papillon22
  • CDGolden
    I got my miles in today ....

while sporting my Argyle socks
  • Trishkit
    Got in a solid 60 minutes! :smile:

@CDGolden: Way to rock the argyle!
  • nerdieprofessor
    Who rode today, 7/3? Let us know!

I did an hour in the heat. We are supposed to hit 104 today. Ick! Had to ride before noon! That's 10 hours this week! WOOT!

Octoprof 7/2, 7/3

funkyspunky871

Trishkit: 7/3 :bigsmile:

RWSMLS09

Colfiii

IrishChik

CDGolden: 7/2 :bigsmile:

Papillon22
  • Trishkit

I did an hour in the heat. We are supposed to hit 104 today. Ick! Had to ride before noon! That's 10 hours this week! WOOT!

Octoprof 7/2, 7/3

funkyspunky871

Trishkit: 7/3 :bigsmile:

RWSMLS09

Colfiii

IrishChik

CDGolden: 7/2 :bigsmile:

Papillon22

Change mine to 7/2, actually. Haven't ridden for 7/3, yet. :smile:
  • CDGolden
    I am in for today July 3rd....
  • nerdieprofessor

Monday will be problematic for me. We will be up before the sun to drive two hours so my husband can do a race. By the time we get back home the temps will be in triple digits. Might have to ride in the heat of the evening (but after the sun isn't so intense). It's way too soon for me to take a rest day, though, because we will be traveling later on in the month, making it harder to ride every day.

I hope y'all had a wonderful Sunday!

Octoprof 7/2, 7/3 :bigsmile:

funkyspunky871

Trishkit: 7/2 :bigsmile:

RWSMLS09

Colfiii

IrishChik

CDGolden: 7/2, 7/3 :bigsmile:

Papillon22
  • Trishkit
    I got in 60 minutes for 7/3. Woot!
  • nerdieprofessor
    Who rode today, 7/4? Let us know! I will ride in the evening.

Octoprof 7/2, 7/3 :bigsmile:

funkyspunky871

Trishkit: 7/2, 7/3 :bigsmile:

RWSMLS09

Colfiii

IrishChik

CDGolden: 7/2, 7/3 :bigsmile:

Papillon22