Good-bye MyFitnessPal

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    MFP is meant to be a tool to help you learn how your body reacts to certain foods. You have your food diary blocked so no one can offer you suggestions. This is not the time to give up. Now is the time to use the resources MFP offers you so that you can make an adjustment. I would almost bet money that you are getting way too much sodium and not enough potassium, but I would never be able to know that because no one can see your diary. I just don't think you were ever really committed to this in the first place. Otherwise, you would be experiencing the same success as others. For some reason, you are comfortable with yourself at the weight you are, and you surely don't want to work to improve. I would think about this long and hard before making this decision.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to read this and i can feel a lot of pain and frustration coming through your post.
    There is so much more you need to take into consideration ..not just muscle gain and starvation. for exmp. you can retain water from i nflamed muscles- you have been lifting so much heavy stuff- your muscles could be inflamed and therefor retain water- which than shows gain on the scale- but that is not " fat gain " it's a short period -it will go away . The scales are bad they don't show you muscle increase, water retention or fat loss.. you could drink 3 gallons of water today and it will show you that you have gained, now is that true ? You know it's not.

Losing weight is not an easy task, but it is worth. Is it worth to you ? what does it mean to you ? What is your motivation ?
    Just plain " i want to be thinner " doesn't cut it, it's not real motivation , it's not something that makes many of us suffer and do all that we do .. it has to have a more meaningful goal, end to it.

Once you attach your feelings to that" more important end " than it will be a little bit easier. It took me a long time - a decade - to understand that " i want to be skinny " wasn't good enough.. .. i didn't have a personal emotional investment in that goal. Yes - smaller size clothes are apealing etc.. and buying clothes was frustrating and depressing. but somehow didn't get me to the goal.
    Now i have finally figured out " what is it that i WANT " ..
    What do YOU want ?

Staying " fat " is just an excuse out of the life,.. if you don't try you can't fail.. and failing hurts.. we all fail, but we keep trying, no one will think less of you if you try and fail.. the only way you can fail is when you give up.
    Don't give up. If losing weight was that simple- everyone would be skinny. It is hard, it is frustrating, devestating, sometime depressing.. i have fallen of the wagon more times than i can count, i have lost 80 l bs, gaine 50 back, lost 15 gained 10 back.. i have lost tons of weight in my twenties.. but one thing i have never done- GIVE UP . I can't give up on myself ! And you shouldn't either. Never give up .
    We are here to help and support- yes you are still the one that has to do the work- each one of us has to do it- but it' s allready hard enough , don't make it harder by leaving the support you have here- because i'm sure you ( like most of us ) don't have this type of support in your environment.
    Take it- do the best you can. Keep trying. Learn from mistakes, learn from other peoples mistake and successes.. but don't give up.

Wish you the best
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a big girl and have been all my life. I've tried to lose weight all my life... but I'm not giving up and neither should you! You can do this if I can! Please don't quit before you've even started... don''t be discouraged!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Please reconsider. This is a long process, you have to find what works for you, but it takes time. It sounds like you have already made some changes, now you need to give your body the time to adjust.

You can do it.
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When you exercise (as you have been doing) you build muscle. To build muscle, your muscles actually tear/rip. This is why you have soreness after vigorous workouts. When there is injury to the body, it becomes inflamed (ie: water retainage) while the body works to repair itself. As the body repairs itself, the inflammation reduces. So, after extreme workout you will see several pound weight gain in the days after. And, slowly the water flushes out and your weight is still up a bit because your have more muscle. Also, it sounds as if you were working outside, which will increase water retention. With more muscle, your body will burn more calories and in several days you will see a difference in your weight if you continue vigorous exercise on a daily basis.

Weight loss/ healthier lifestyle doesn't happen overnight... consider how long it took you to gain the unwanted weight...it didn't appear overnight and it certainly won't disappear overnight!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    By quitting, you are taking a huge risk of health complications, a short lifespan, and major depression.

YOU ARE WORTH IT, YOU DESERVE A LIFE OF HAPPINESS WITH YOUR FAMILY!!!

This journey isn't for the light hearted...you are going to have gains, indulge too much, but it's how you move forward after that counts!!

Please don't give up on yourself...

God bless
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    - You can not gain 3 lbs of fat if you have been working out and eating right. Something else is going on. DO NOT GIVE UP!
    I believe in God and I also believe satan wants you to fail. Do NOT let satan win!!!!!!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Look at your picture! There's no better reason to not quit than that little girl in your arms. Open up your diary so people can see them and give some pointers. Get some more MFP friends because they are an amazing source of love and support. There are answers and reasons to all of this stuff. Don't just walk away. I was 408 and after a week was ready to quit and continue my unhealthy life, as short as it was gonna be. I'm down to 280 now with the thanks of mfp!!!!!

I so agree with this. It is not always easy, and it is tough to see little progress at times. However, I have now found that if I just stick with it, and eat fewer calories and carbs than I used to, the weight is slowly coming off. I'm eating a much healthier diet, and it is working. I'm sorry to see you leave. The 'positive' feed back has been such a help!!! Good luck to you whatever you decide!
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you're eating back too many of your exercise calories? Once I got a heart rate monitor, I found that the MFP estimates for calories burned were WAY more than I was actually burning, so eating back most of your calories based on what the database tells you might be too much. It could also be water weight gain, as many have already suggested. Without being able to see your diary, all anyone can do is guess, but you really should give it a little longer before you pack it in. You need to give it time to figure out what works for you and your body, because right now, it sounds like you have no idea. Just hang in there!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    In 20 yrs, you'll likely be like my husband. Overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes. He gave up pretty easily too over the years. He'd start to watch what he ate or begin to exercise, but then he wouldn't stick with it for any length of time. I just brought him home from the hospital Saturday for the 5th time this year. He had a cardiac stent placed in April, and is in cardiac rehab. 7-8 ER visits (3 by rescue squad), 5 admissions.

So go ahead, quit after less than a month of effort. My husband's current situation can be yours in due time.
  • hchristine
    hchristine Posts: 63
    Options
    The day to day is hard and overwhelming when you have a lot of weight you want to lose, but days turn into weeks and weeks turn into months. If you make the decision to stick with it, you will never regret that decision. If you decide to quit 6 months from now will you be happy with that decision? I hope you decide to stick with it! :)
  • markjholmes
    Options
    Thanks for giving up so easily. It makes me appreciate the 45 pounds I've lost and kept off in 2 years, and I realize the previous 20 were from giving up too soon. I haven't even added exercise... It's entirely a change in eating habits, and seeing that it's possible. Say no to addictive cake, chips, cookies, white bread, and you're halfway there. Read. Learn. But give up? Never.
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    I know it's been said before, it is probably water weight. And I don't want to butcher this theory or body process, but there is something about muscles retaining water to help them repair themselves after a hard workout. I'd say building a brick wall would be a hard workout for anybody. If you are only eating half of your recommended amount, you really could be in starvation mode. Try eating 75-80% of your recommended amount and see if it gets any better. And don't weigh yourself every day - it will make you crazy.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Think of all the reasons you joined this site in the first place.. such as your daughter. If you won't continue for yourself then do it for her( although you should want to do it for YOU also) but she deserves a healthy dad who can play with her and watch her grow-up. Joining a fitness site does not mean it will be an easy road and I'm sure you didn't think it would be, however its only going to get tougher and your quality of life will diminish if you decide to just " stay fat" as you put it. I have people on my friend's list who have lost over 143 pounds and they did that by putting themselves in the proper frame of mind and staying committed... even when things get tough! If your daughter came to you and said she wanted to quit school beause it was too hard, would you let her? OR would you tell her to try and do her best, stick with it and that she can do it? Why not tell yourself YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Weight loss is NOT an easy process but a negative frame of mind makes it even tougher.

Just pick yourself up and get moving! Also, a heart rate monitor will help you track your calories burned alot better than relying on the programmed exercises in this database. How is your sodium intake? If you eat a high sodium diet then you will retain water which will make it look as though you have gained weight.

You need to re-focus and remember that your health affects the people closest to you as well. No one ever succeeds by quitting when things get tough. "Failure" is just a state of mind. You only truly "fail" when you stop trying!

It's your choice if you stay or go but if you want a better quality of life and be able to dance at your daughter's wedding someday then stop beating yourself up and get back at it!

Best of luck!!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    :mad: I'm actuallyl appauled at some of the responses to this. The Quitter stuff is the kind of stuff I used to get from my Dad, and it only made me want to go to the kitchen and gorge myself!! Sometimes tough love isn't what's needed, it's a kind heart and compassion that we need to succeed!!!!:mad:
  • Planet73
    Planet73 Posts: 1
    Options
    Rebel - I don't know you and you don't know me, but one single clue about you prompts me to send a note (which I NEVER ever do - ask my kids). Your photo. The child you hold in your hands is most likely yours. You owe it to yourself and to that child to continue your effort to become healthy once again. Maybe this method is not for you. Maybe it is with some tweaking and experimenting on what works. Regardless, hang in there. I've had good days and bad ones using My Fitness Pal - some pretty discouraging at times. But, I'm not giving up because it's a challenge worth meeting for myself and my family. I analyze my routine and eating quite a bit. Maybe more than I should. Some days I shake my head as you have done. But, I keep in mind that it's a dramatic change process and not an easy one. It has future benefits and rewards if I keep trying. So keep trying - when you get down, pick your daughter up and hold her for awhile. Without even knowing it, she could be your best inspiration.
    Best of luck to you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    if you're lifting that much (I think I read that right), you might have gained muscle weight. you gain muscle faster than you lose weight. the more muscle you have, the faster you'll lose weight. good luck!!!

Not to start a controversy, but this isn't true. It takes weeks to build muscle (and BTW it takes weeks to go into starvation mode). What happens is that during the process of building muscle, the body retains more water to protect the muscle from the strain of expansion. So in a sense, his weight gain was probably the result of his body storing water around newly developing muscle.
  • ericjr7210
    ericjr7210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know your pain... I have worked my *kitten* off the past 2 weeks and the scale has not moved ( im syuck at 288)... However if your pants are falling off there is good news... you are loosing inches and most likely gaining muscle... Keep in mind that a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same... The pound of fat takes up more room on your body... that is why the scale is not moving...

You need to stay on track... Remember weight loss is not a sprint it is a MARATHON... do not give up just work thru the plateau..
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Muscle retains water to repair itself and with all that hard work you have been doing it could just be water. Drink lots. Stick with it. I stuck at my weight for weeks but lost inches.

You can do this; you have proved it by losing 10lb already.