Turn your knowledge into Power Challenge

Options

Replies

• vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll! Last day of summer school today (was completely BRUTAL, and am SO exhausted!), so I'm gonna take the weekend and just VEG (well as much as I can with still having the usual weekend chores to do, LOL). We are having a church cookout at the lake on Sunday afternoon, so that will be fun. I'll be bringing a big salad to share and probably a chilled watermelon so we at least have a few things to eat. As a side rant, why can't there ever be healthy food at a church function, has NO one read the verse about the body being God's temple, ugh!! (Ok, vent off, LOL) Will probably also pack the frisbee and get a game going in the sand at the beach.

This week has been a big bust for the exercise, but I was really wiped out all week. I took Wed. and pretty much slept on the couch right after dinner until bedtime. Last night was betterish. Did our Insanity abs workout and did leg weights. Kept up with the 20 pound dumbbells for squats and boy is that challenging! Still scared to up the weights for lunges, next time I do them I'll attempt to up the reps instead to 10 or 12. Deadlifts are pretty easy with the 15 pounders, so I'll do 20s next time for that one as well. The plan is to run tonight, hopefully we get there!

Weigh-in: 154.2 this morning, a loss of .6 from last week (it's TOM and I'm so bloated still, hoping next week's weigh in is better!

Ya'll have a great weekend, talk at ya on Monday!

~~Veronica
  • DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Results:

Weight: 261.1

I am up .6 I am not going to stress over it, as it is such a minuscule amount, it happens. I also have my measurements, but I am not sure if we are posting them each week, or just at the half-way mark and the end.

I continue to struggle with getting enough water in. I did not log this week. I am not even going to make excuses why, because they would just be excuses. I found time for so many other things that there was time to log, I just choose to spend my available time differently. However, I would like to try to log in for the remainder of the week. That is one of my goals.
  • kimberlyrenee
    Options
    Hey Team:

I'm 276.4 this week. That is up .2 from last week :( I am happy with that though. My measurements are all the same as last week.

It has been a long day and I am very tired today, so I will have to catch up with everyone tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good night.
  • stepbystep6
    stepbystep6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Down 2.2lbs - surprized but not going to pretend I can celebrate and have a treat! I actually don't believe it - numbers are not as objective as one might think. So I plan to stay under my calories everyday this coming week and drink my water consistently. Day one: so far so good!
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    Week 3 Fitness training: 5 elements of a rounded routine
    Fitness training balances five elements of good health. Make sure your routine includes aerobic fitness, muscular fitness, stretching, core exercise and balance training.
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Whether you're a novice taking the first steps toward fitness or an exercise fanatic hoping to optimize your results, a well-rounded fitness training program is essential. Use the five primary elements of fitness training to create a balanced routine.
    1. Aerobic fitness
    Aerobic exercise, also known as cardio or endurance activity, is the cornerstone of most fitness training programs. Aerobic exercise causes you to breathe faster and more deeply, which maximizes the amount of oxygen in your blood. The better your aerobic fitness, the more efficiently your heart, lungs and blood vessels transport oxygen throughout your body — and the easier it is to complete routine physical tasks and rise to unexpected challenges, such as running to your car in the pouring rain.
    Aerobic exercise includes any physical activity that uses large muscle groups and increases your heart rate. Try walking, jogging, biking, swimming, dancing, water aerobics — even leaf raking, snow shoveling and vacuuming. Aim for at least two hours and 30 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or one hour and 15 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity — preferably spread throughout the week.
    2. Muscular fitness
    Muscular fitness is another key component of a fitness training program. Strength training at least twice a week can help you increase bone strength and muscular fitness. It can also help you maintain muscle mass during a weight-loss program.
    Most fitness centers offer various resistance machines, free weights and other tools for strength training. But you don't need to invest in a gym membership or expensive equipment to reap the benefits of strength training. Hand-held weights or homemade weights — such as plastic soft drink bottles filled with water or sand — may work just as well. Resistance bands are another inexpensive option. Your own body weight counts, too. Try push-ups, abdominal crunches and leg squats.
    3. Stretching
    Most aerobic and strength training activities cause your muscles to contract and flex. For balance in your fitness training program, it's important to stretch those muscles, too. Stretching improves the range of motion of your joints and promotes better posture. Regular stretching can even help relieve stress.
    Before you stretch, warm up by walking or doing a favorite exercise at low intensity for five to 10 minutes. Better yet, stretch after you exercise — when your muscles are warm and receptive to stretching. Ideally, you'll stretch whenever you exercise. If you don't exercise regularly, you might want to stretch at least three times a week after warming up to maintain flexibility. Activities such as yoga promote flexibility, too.
    4. Core stability
    The muscles in your abdomen, lower back and pelvis — known as your core muscles — help protect your back and connect upper and lower body movements. Core strength is a key element of a well-rounded fitness training program.
    Core exercises help train your muscles to brace the spine and enable you to use your upper and lower body muscles more effectively. So what counts as a core exercise? Any exercise that uses the trunk of your body without support, including abdominal crunches. You can also try various core exercises with a fitness ball.
    5. Balance training
    You can be strong, flexible and aerobically fit, yet still have poor balance. Training can help you maintain and improve balance. This is important since balance tends to deteriorate with age, which can lead to falls and fractures. Try standing on one leg for increasing periods of time to improve your overall stability. Activities such as tai chi can promote balance, too.
    Cover all five elements
    Whether you create your own fitness training program or enlist the help of a personal trainer, make aerobic fitness, muscular fitness, stretching, core exercise and balance training part of your overall exercise plan. It isn't necessary to fit each of the five elements into every fitness session, but factoring them into your regular routine can help you promote fitness for life.
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Week 3 Counting Calories
    Counting calories: Get back to weight-loss basics
    Your weight is a balancing act, and calories play a big role. Find out how calories determine your weight and ways you can best cut calories from your diet.
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Despite all the diet strategies out there, weight management still comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off. Fad diets may promise you that avoiding carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit is the secret to weight loss, but it's really all about calories.
    Calories: Fuel for your body
    Calories are the energy in food. Your body has a constant demand for energy and uses the calories from food to keep functioning. Energy from calories fuels your every action, from fidgeting to marathon running.
    Carbohydrates, fats and proteins are the types of nutrients that contain calories and are the main energy sources for your body. The amount of energy in each varies. Proteins and carbohydrates have about 4 calories a gram, and fats have about 9 calories a gram. Alcohol also is a source of calories, providing about 7 calories a gram.
    Regardless of where they come from, the calories you eat are either converted to physical energy or stored within your body as fat. These stored calories will remain in your body as fat unless you use them up, either by reducing calorie intake so that your body must draw on reserves for energy, or by increasing physical activity so that you burn more calories.
    Tipping the scale: Cutting calories
    Your weight is a balancing act, but the equation is simple: If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight.
    Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories).
    Cutting calories doesn't have to be difficult. In fact, it can be as simple as:
    • Skipping one extra high-calorie indulgence a day
    • Swapping high-calorie foods for lower calorie options
    • Reducing portion sizes
    Here's a closer look.
    Saving calories by cutting a high-calorie item
    Skipping one or two high-calorie items is a good place to start when cutting calories. For example, you could skip your morning latte or that bowl of ice cream you always have after dinner. Think about what you eat and drink each day and identify items you could cut out. If you think that skipping your indulgence will leave you with a craving, try a low-calorie substitution.
    Healthier options
    Instead of this ... Calories* Try this ... Calories*
    1 snack bag (3 ounces) ranch-flavored tortilla chips 426 3.5 cups popcorn, air-popped 100
    1 slice thick-crust pepperoni pizza (1/8 of a 14-inch chain pizza) 301 1 2/3 cups grapes 100
    1 medium, 3-inch glazed doughnut 192 2 tablespoons peanuts 100
    *Actual calories may vary by brand.
    Choosing lower calorie foods
    Beyond your indulgences, you can also replace common foods that are high in calories with ones that are lower in calories. You may not realize how much you can cut with some simple substitutions. For example, drink fat-free milk instead of whole milk and sparkling water or diet soda instead of blended coffee drinks. Have an extra serving of vegetables at dinner instead of an extra serving of meat. Or snack on sliced fresh fruit instead of chips.
    Lower calorie options
    Instead of this ... Calories* Try this ... Calories*
    Whole milk, 8 ounces 149 Skim milk, 8 ounces 86
    Blended caramel coffee drink, 16 ounces 380 Diet soda, 12-ounce can 0
    French fries, large fast-food packet 500 Strawberries, 1 1/2 cups whole 60
    Reducing your portion sizes
    The sizes of your portions affect how many calories you're getting. Twice the amount of food means twice the number of calories. It's common to underestimate how much you're eating, especially if you're dining out. Controlling your portions is a good way to control calories.
    Portion sizes
    A typical portion ... Calories* A standard serving ... Calories*
    Orange juice, 8 ounces 120 Orange juice, 4 ounces 60
    Buttermilk pancake, 6-inch 175 Buttermilk pancake, 4-inch 86
    Whole-grain cooked pasta, 1 1/2 cups 210 Whole-grain cooked pasta, 1/2 cup 70
    Try these tips to control portion sizes and cut calories:
    • Serve smaller portions. At the beginning of a meal, take slightly less than what you think you'll eat. You can have seconds later if you're truly still hungry.
    • See what you eat. Eating directly from a container gives you no sense of how much you're eating. Seeing food on a plate or in a bowl keeps you aware of how much you're eating. Consider measuring your food with a measuring cup or scale to see how much you are actually eating.
    • Check food labels. Be sure to check the Nutrition Facts panel and other nutrient information for the serving size and number of calories a serving. You may find that the small bag of chips you eat with lunch every day, for example, is two servings not one, which means you're eating double the calories listed on the label.
    • Don't feel obligated to clean your plate. Stop eating as soon as you feel full. Those extra bites of food that you're trying not to waste add unneeded calories.
    • Use a calorie counter. Check out reputable resources that offer tools to count calories, such as Web sites or smart phone applications.
    Putting it all together
    Eliminating high-calorie foods, choosing lower calorie alternatives and cutting your portion sizes can help you reduce calories and improve weight control. For a successful — and sustainable — weight management plan, you also need to increase your physical activity. It's this combination of regular activity and healthy eating that will help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Knowledge challenge, is to respond to articles

Power challenge

Try to walk a mile at least 3 times a week
    150 Jumping jacks in a week
    and 50 push ups.

Please modify the exercise appropriately. And have fun!
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Friday ##
    Saturday 1 mile around track
    Sunday 1.5 miles
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    I have so much to post and not enough time...sounds like a familar story here! I just wanted to say I am proud of you all for pushing forward even in the midst of life. I have so much more I wanted to bring to this challenge but m,y own personal challenges have prevented me from doing so.

I want to fess up about my emotional eating and lack of motvation. I clearly have not been able to learn how to handle stress, but i AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP. So I am hoping that this next week will be full of my mfp friends, water, exercise and loss!

Talk to you all soon!
  • vallejos6
    Options
    Well, that was an eventful weekend! Spent 6 hours on a scaffold Saturday working on the house, got a ton done! We took a break in the middle of the day and went downtown and took the kiddos out for lunch (hubby got a big jalapeno burger with waffle fries and i got a grilled chicken salad and then we each ate half of each, it was good). I also got a NSV while downtown as we stopped by the thrift store and I bought new jeans- size 10 are very comfortable, yay!

Sunday was church and then the cookout at the lake, and there WAS a small selection of healthy food there. Had a great big plate of salad with grilled chicken on it. Had some delicious cut up fruit, and then a piece of birthday cake and half of a chocolate chip bar cookie, plus 3 nacho cheese tortilla chips (yes, only 3, hubby was laughing at me, but I really wanted the taste and had already had so much sugar, so I didn't even get a plate for the chips, just took 3 and really enjoyed them!). We did play frisbee for a while, but stopped after our frisbee ended up in the lake and we had to fish it out. A girl from our church with an inflatable raft helped me get it, but my pants were pretty soaked as I could only roll them up to my mid thighs.

Laura Lee- I'm so proud of you not giving up. Conquering emotional eating is SO hard, and I still struggle with it too. I heard a quote once (I have no idea who said it, it is NOT my original thought) that has become a personal mantra for me in trying to quit my stress snacking- "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer." There have been times that just repeating that little quote has helped me close the fridge door. Now, if I could always recognize the emotional pull of food BEFORE I overindulge I would be doing great! LOL

I'll be back later to read all the articles and catch up with everyone's updates.. off to do laundry (if I don't come back, I've gotten lost in the mountain and someone needs to call search and rescue *grin*).

~~Veronica
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Results for week 2

Name SW GW GL CW Current LossPercentage of Loss lbs Left to go

Dorthydingman 259.6 247.6 12lbs 261.60 0.60 12.6 lbs
    Emccand 237.6 227.8 10lbs 236.80 0.80 0.34% 9.8 lbs
    idahogirl71 325.8 315.8 10lbs 323.80 2.00 .61%
    Kimberlyrenee 279.0 276.40 2.60 0.93% ?
    Kristiedavis1 315.0 303.0 12lbs
    Laura Lee 293.2 275.0 15lbs 299.2 3.00 21 lbs
    abhamilton 7lbs
    McHeather 162.0 155.0 7lbs 162.00 - 7 lbs
    Melane71 122.0 110.0 12lbs 12 lbs
    Mindonhau 146.3 135.0 11lbs 145.40 0.90 0.41% 10.2 lbs
    stepbystep6 233.0 225.0 8lbs 230.80 2.20 0.94% 5.8 lbs
    vallejos6 154.6 140.0 in 140's
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Sorry girls that I am late weighing in. My husband left me this weekend and moved in with another woman so needless to say life has been a little off-kilter. And to top it off I injured my ankle walking and so will not be able to get any walking in this week which really sucks because I really need the calorie burn and energy to get through this. My weight is up from last week. I am at 325.8, but to be honest I expected it to be a lot worse so I am actually happy with that number.
  • vallejos6
    Options
    OMG, Tami, I am so sorry ...((hugs)) Sounds like life is throwing a lot at you all at once. I hear that punching is a really great cardio work-out.. maybe target the closest soft surface, put which ever face on it you need and take out some aggravation and burn some cals at the same time! I'll be praying for you!

~~Veronica
  • dodie62
    dodie62 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tami,

I am so sorry to hear about what is going on in your life right now, I am sure that it is a difficult situation. Please remember to continue to take care of you. You have done so well over the last 6 months.

Is doing arm workouts or swimming an option for you with your ankle injury?
  • kimberlyrenee
    Options
    Today was a pretty good day for me. I walked a little farther than normal (walked 1 ¾ miles). On Wednesday I have to make zucchini cake for my husband. I am going to really try and not eat any of it. I know it will be hard, but I am going to give it my best.

Stepbystep6 – great loss! I also have a hard time getting my water in each day. Hope you are doing well with that this week.

Laural – I’m glad to see you here. Even with so much going on in your life, it is important to not forget about yourself. We are all here to support you and we know that you will succeed in your journey.

Veronica – Congrats on your new jeans! What a great accomplishment. Sounds like you had a great time at the church cookout. How awesome that you were able to have only 3 chips. Not sure I could have done it.

Tami – that is awful. You will be in my prayers. As Dorothy said, don’t forget about taking care of yourself. You are an important part of this world and you deserve to be happy and healthy.

Dorothy – keep up the good work. You are doing great!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your love and prayers. I feel so lost right now. I have not been able to eat much but am staying in touch her so that I don't give up. I want to keep moving forward, not backward. I know I deserve better than the way I have been treated, but I miss him so and even knowing that does not seem to help.

tami
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Thank you so much for your love and prayers. I feel so lost right now. I have not been able to eat much but am staying in touch her so that I don't give up. I want to keep moving forward, not backward. I know I deserve better than the way I have been treated, but I miss him so and even knowing that does not seem to help.

tami

Tami, I know how you feel. I have been going through the same type of issues with my husband now since about March. He says there is no one else but he treats me poorly and disrupts my security. He doesnt abuse me but he does not treat me like a wife. It makes me hate myself and fosters in me self destructive behaviors.
    I want to feel good because I feel good, but sadly I feel my identiy is wrapped up in him and it sucks...
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Laural – I’m glad to see you here. Even with so much going on in your life, it is important to not forget about yourself. We are all here to support you and we know that you will succeed in your journey.

I am working my way to be back like I was before.
    But I feel so ashamed, and disgruntled. I have gained the last two weeks and I feel grosser than I usually do.
    Thank you for your support! It is the only support I seem to have at this time and I appreciated the fact that I am not alone.
  • LauraLLee
    Options
    Laura!

Welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful time. You managed to get those JJ in. Way to go on that! An Indian Taco is a scone (frybread) topped with meat, beans, and the other taco toppings such as cheese, lettuce, tomato, ect. It would n't be too bad except for the deep fried bread. Which really is what makes it taste so good. :laugh:

We have made them at home by baking the scone, and doing healthy toppings. Worked great except just not the same as deep fried! But, what is??

Hey I have had that before, I guess I wasnt thinking! Thank you for the welcome back! You are always so supportive.