People judge - that's just "reality" - BULL****!

Options

Replies

• luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is the problem, people don't take responsibility for their actions.

I don't ever want to live in a world without criticism. People judge because obesity is perfectly controllable and manageable. Do the research, change your lifestyle, and nobody will be judging you for being overweight, because you won't be overweight any longer. You say yourself that what you are putting into your body has contributed to your weight gain; just because you are "predisposed" to weight gain means nothing - it's an excuse.

Of course white sugar is bad for you. Don't put it in your mouth, and make the connection between your own choices and your weight.

I'm really sorry if this sounds "mean" to anyone. I just think our culture has leaned far too heavily on allowing people to make excuses for themselves, and criticism is necessary for improvement in any arena. None of us live in a vacuum. Believe me when I say that the person next to an obese person on an airplane is suffering the consequences of the weight gain right along with them. Even if weight loss is more difficult for you, or weight gain is easier - stop comparing yourself to others! You are making a judgment of your own when you make those comparisons. Telling yourself it's easier for someone else and wallowing in the unfairness of your "assumption" does absolutely no good.

All that said, I think it's great you are doing the research and trying to understand how the human body works.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I was much less active and still ate the same. I ate foods that I liked...ice cream, aged cheddar cheese, french fries...with no thought to how it would affect me. I ate next to nothing for a few years and still didn't lose, because eventually, hunger won (and I overate and retained as fat all the extra calories).

I take full responsibility for my weight issue. I was athletic and active and slim for years....and because I slowed down and didn't pay attention, I gained weight. So, I started paying attention to what I'm eating and being active and lo and behold...I am losing weight. I could blame lots of things...working two jobs, change in hobbies, insulin issues (pre-diabetic), finances, but honestly...it's still my responsibility to take care of myself and my health.

Thank you Stormie =D.
    I can understand the reason for the post, but I don't agree how personal you're taking the comments.

The thing with western culture is that no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions, and books and people who tell you 'it's not your fault, it's this hormone, that organ, this drug, etc. etc.' It's the same as an alcoholic blaming their parents' divorce thirty years ago or someone who is addicted to a debilitating drug blaming other people for their problem and their choices.

I think the books have misled you, but that's just my opinion.

And, honestly, there is nothing you can do about people judging you. Everyone judges, and obesity is, unfortunately, something that is kindof easy to spot. Everyone gets judged, though. Women are judged automatically while driving, and there are plenty of people who judge based on race and religion. It's human nature, and it's something that everyone has to live with in some form or another. It sucks, but if you don't like it, then change it. *shrug*

This post is spot on as well.
    So, I am keenly aware of the fact that people judge me for being obese. I have a thick skin for this judging at this point. However, where the bull**** factor comes in is when someone tells me "that's just reality". Oh really? So it is "reality" for people to be hateful, stupid, and just plain misinformed?

Yes.

And this is the simple truth regarding the judgement issues. It is reality...get over it, or keep your head in the sand like an ostrich if you like, and be judged for that instead.

I was judged for losing my company in the middle of a recession that hit my industry the hardest. I was judged for losing my company in the middle of the largest emotional crisis my family had ever gone through. I was judged for working my *kitten* off trying to find a job and not being able to. I was judged for being absolutely miserable in my last relationship, but trying my hardest to maintain it and keep it moving forward, completely unsuccessfully. I was judged by her family and friends for all the lies she was telling about me constantly. I was judged for gaining 30lbs plus through that time, due to the depression, lack of self esteem (yeah...me...go figure), and flat lack of willpower to DO anything my reaction to that situation caused. I am currently judged (both positively and negatively) for being a single father, and keeping my kids from going through the abuse and emotional neglect that made their mother the way she is. I am judged for working 10hrs a day 5 days a week now that I finally found a solid job...because those children need me home more.

We are all judged. If you're judged for being fat, do something about it. Complaining at the way the world works won't do you an ounce of good.

And I'm sure you'll be judged for that too.

Amen Chris. . That is the truth of the matter. . and how the world works!~
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    i am fat because of what I eat ...it all started with having 3 kids but i don't blame the pregnancies and I don't really agree with your post either but I know why I am fat.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I disagree too !

There's many scientific opinions about everything ... Theres still people that are stating that smoking is not that bad for us ...
    I think those Gary Taubes' book just put science facts in a way that makes think in a very convenient way for you to not feel so guilty about your body... Blaming hormones is much more convenient than facing the truth .. facing yourself !

Whatever is the cause of your obesity you still got a problem ! I dunno how fat you are right now, but overweight will get you to diabetese, cardiac problem, you'll soon need hip or knee replacement... you are killing yourself !

Wether it is a question of insuline, growth hormones, eating too much or whatever, you still got to find a solution !

Good Luck
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    As a fat person myself, I have to say that I got that way from overeating and not exercising. I was an emotional eater. When I learned to deal with that is healthy ways, then I could begin my weight loss journey. I have no one or nothing to blame but myself and I am the only one who can fix it. Now, I watch my calorie, fat, carb and sodium intake and I exercise daily.

skwilson's previous post.....Me exactly! While I agree that my body is sensitive to carbohydrates, as indicated by my Type 2 diabetes, I still say that the main reasons I ate myself to hugeness was eating lots of unhealthy foods, sitting on my butt and thinking that food was my bestest friend. I still battle the allure of food to answer problems and always will but I am armed with better knowledge and a LOT better health now. And yes, science has proved that for me via lab tests.

I do agree that we tend to judge overweight/obese folks. However, I've found nothing but very friendly, helpful folks here on mfp. Whatever your circumstances, I hope that you find your answers to getting to a healthier you...that IS the bottom line!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I was much less active and still ate the same. I ate foods that I liked...ice cream, aged cheddar cheese, french fries...with no thought to how it would affect me. I ate next to nothing for a few years and still didn't lose, because eventually, hunger won (and I overate and retained as fat all the extra calories).

I take full responsibility for my weight issue. I was athletic and active and slim for years....and because I slowed down and didn't pay attention, I gained weight. So, I started paying attention to what I'm eating and being active and lo and behold...I am losing weight. I could blame lots of things...working two jobs, change in hobbies, insulin issues (pre-diabetic), finances, but honestly...it's still my responsibility to take care of myself and my health.

The same here, and yes ultimately eat less or exercise more.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was growing up, it was much less common to see people who were extremely overweight, so I looked up the statistics on obesity levels over time in the US population. Here's what I found at the National Institutes of Health:

"The prevalence [of obesity] has steadily increased among both genders, all ages, all racial/ethnic groups, all educational levels, and all smoking levels. From 1960–2 to 2005–6, the prevalence of obesity increased from 13.4 to 35.1 percent in U.S. adults age 20 to 74."

So over the past 40 or so years, the rate of obesity has almost TRIPLED. I just can't see how that is due to some kind of seismic shift in our genes. Rather, we eat very, very differently than we did before, and we don't get as much physical activity.

Some simple examples: I ordered a MEDIUM coke from a fast food place the other day. The medium size was THREE TIMES LARGER than the LARGEST coke served by any fast food restaurant when I was a child. Also, people rarely ate out then. Most families would eat out one time a week or less. People cooked healthful food at home, and ate MUCH smaller portions. We also did not have nearly the amount of junk food available to us as there is now. Finally, there was a lot more physical activity in our everyday lives. There were no remote controls. If you wanted to change the channel, you had to get up and do it. There were no garage door openers. You had to get out of the car and lift the garage door yourself, etc. etc.

Portion distortion and inactivity are killing this country. What we now think of as a normal meal is really about three normal meals. Technology has made it such that we no longer get in the same amount of simple movement each day. It's no wonder that there is now three times the obesity that there was then.

I don't even think that many people who have grown up in the last 20 years or so even have any idea what a normal portion looks like. With rare exceptions, I believe that it's not our genes, but the change in our country's eating and exercising habits that is making us grow obese as a nation.

Yes, thank you very much! Excellent post!

"So over the past 40 or so years, the rate of obesity has almost TRIPLED. I just can't see how that is due to some kind of seismic shift in our genes. Rather, we eat very, very differently than we did before, and we don't get as much physical activity."

Repeated again for truth...
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Why is it so important to some of you to see obesity as a moral failing rather than a physiological failing?

We know for a fact some people eat to satiety and do not become overweight. We even know that some people who are experimentally overfed automatically and unconsciously expend more energy in thermogenesis and activity.

Obese people (obviously don't). A person isn't morally superior because their body responds to excess energy a different way nor are they morally superior because when they reach a certain level of food intake they feel like they don't want to eat anymore. Yet plenty of people have bodies which respond to overfeeding appropriately, that is their appetite shuts off and their expenditure goes up, unconsciously and naturally.

And not just years, not just decades, not just centuries but literally millenia of telling fat people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and just stop eating and start doing more has not worked for the vast majority of fat people. We are at a juncture in human history where we have the means to understand the biochemical mechanisms behind all of this and more and more we are learning about it, and it's by learning how we REALLY work that we're going to fix these problems.

But it seems like people are offended by that idea, they are offended by the idea that the fat ugly slobs they see around them, maybe the fat ugly slob they think they are or was, are that way for reasons beyond simply being bad people. And I just don't get it... maybe they need to hate the person they don't want to be in order to sustain the energy to force themselves to stay at a weight their body thinks (possibly wrongly) is way too small.

The problem I have is that - yes for a good sized chunk of the population you could be insulin sensitive, you could be in a growth phase, and you could have a hard time releasing fat to be used as energy because of your insulin levels. All physiological reasons for us to be obese.

But the rub lies in that, in my opinion, I got that way because I over ate. I caused my body to enter that state, and then I didn't do anything to help get me out of that state. It wasn't emotional, but it was inattention. I didn't care what I was eating. I ate what I wanted and when I wanted it, causing my body to enter a state that made it very difficult physiologically to do anything but grow.

So did I gain weight due to circumstances beyond my control, or did I gain weight because I ate too much to put myself there?

I chose to take responsibility for my actions and in actions, and I chose do something about it.

totally. I have a sensitivity to carbs, refined, sugary carbs. I eat them and I eat eat eat anything and everything. BUT I got that sensitivity from years of stuffing my face with said sugary refined carbs. I logged my calories for a week before ai started logging them to lose weight. I was eating 4000 calories a day, and that is when I was writing it down so I probably ate less than I was before I was aware of it. 4000 calories or more, every day and little to no exercise(other than gardening in the summer) made me 300 lbs.

Now that I have lost the weight, I don't eat sugary refined carbs. I might have a donut once a year if I am having a raging episode of PMS because it would take one day of eating like I used to to send me back into that carb sensitivity and insulin overproduction that makes it so hard to lose weight. I had to wean myself off those foods and then I had to kiss them goodbye and then I started working out and learned to really enjoy it. Well, the weights, I will never like cardio. but as the quotee said, it was all my doing. The bad eating and weight gain AND the good eating and weight loss, all mine and I OWN both of them.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    This is the problem, people don't take responsibility

Exactly. The percentage of people who are fat for medical reasons beyond their control is probably about 0.001 percent of the population. Most of us are here because we either ate too much, didn't exercise, ate crap food or any combination thereof.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I got FAT because I sat on my *kitten* all day and ate junk food.

I wasn't predisposed to do that.

I was lazy and liked sugar.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

No It's because the high sugar/ carb diet you were on made you produce more insulin. Because you ate like *kitten*, that has nothing to do with it. Your body made you do it. You were your own prisoner and the way your body acts to all the horrible crap you put into it is to blame. I would ask you if you want a cookie but, they're all gone....
  • hush7hush
    Options

No It's because the high sugar/ carb diet you were on made you produce more insulin. Because you ate like *kitten*, that has nothing to do with it. Your body made you do it. You were your own prisoner and the way your body acts to all the horrible crap you put into it is to blame. I would ask you if you want a cookie but, they're all gone....

It was still my own CHOICE to shovel that greasy **** into my mouth.

The high sugar/carb diet that caused me to produce more insulin? Yeah, that was my OWN CHOICE.

My body didn't force me to eat those things.

I DID.

Edit: I wouldn't want a cookie. They taste like dirt. You can give them to the "victims" of obesity, I'm sure they'll appreciate them more.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

The high sugar/carb diet that caused me to produce more insulin? Yeah, that was my OWN CHOICE.

I DID.

Edit: I wouldn't want a cookie. They taste like dirt. You can give them to the "victims" of obesity, I'm sure they'll appreciate them more.

I know I was being sarcastic.
  • hush7hush
    Options

I DID.

I know I was being sarcastic.

Good.
    And I'm hoping other people read my response and think "Wow, she's kind of a *****, but she's totally right!!"
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    So it is "reality" for people to be hateful, stupid, and just plain misinformed?

Thousands and thousands of years of history of people waging war, fighting and killing over different beliefs tells me... yes. I'm not saying I LIKE it. I'm saying it's reality. :frown:
    [/quote

Yup, it sure is... Reality... it bites *sometimes*
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/default.aspx
    ^^go to that site.
    Click download all healthy people objectives PDF.
    (It opens in another webpage).

This is a list of goals that the government has, specifically the people behind the Healthy People mission. Now, go to page 230 and read through about 241 I think.

Every goal on those pages are actions that people have to take in order to change their diet. Nothing is science's fault. The science is, if you eat better, you will be healthier.
  • sequoialea
    sequoialea Posts: 26
    Options
    This is the last post I will make here and in the forums in general. Fine, you don't agree with me. Fine, what works for me may not work for you and visa versa. But calling me everything but lazy is too far. You don't know me. You don't know my lifestyle. When I referred to my diet, I was talking about my diet as a child/teenager, not now! Regardless of what I say, you will take my criticisms as excuses. So, I'll go my way and you go yours.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well I agree that folks need to mind their own business. Unless that person is a child (or a parent with a child <18), a friend, or a relative, I don't care what they do with their body. They can cut it up, inject it with heroin, have a zillion sex partners, or eat 15,000 kcal/day. It's not my business or concern. I have no judgments about anyone because I don't see them. They are not in my circle. I will be cautious of them and make a point not to infringe on their rights in any way (and hell, I will be polite to boot!) but that is the extent of my concern.

Judgey people need hobbies.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is the last post I will make here and in the forums in general. Fine, you don't agree with me. Fine, what works for me may not work for you and visa versa. But calling me everything but lazy is too far. You don't know me. You don't know my lifestyle. When I referred to my diet, I was talking about my diet as a child/teenager, not now! Regardless of what I say, you will take my criticisms as excuses. So, I'll go my way and you go yours.

You can't come into a topic as hotly debated as this one, with guns blazing...and not expect return fire.

I'm sorry you feel the need to leave over it...but you honestly did set yourself up for this.

/sigh...I wonder what's up with these forums lately? SO many threads attacking thin people, or attacking people period.

Ahh well...at least my MFP friends rock...so I'm all good.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options

You can't come into a topic as hotly debated as this one, with guns blazing...and not expect return fire.

I'm sorry you feel the need to leave over it...but you honestly did set yourself up for this.

/sigh...I wonder what's up with these forums lately? SO many threads attacking thin people, or attacking people period.

Ahh well...at least my MFP friends rock...so I'm all good.

I have been wondering thee same exact thing!!!!