No more late night snacks challenge

Options

Replies

• laine23
    Options
    I'll start again tomorrow. I was hungry and under my calories. Still going to be under, I believe, after snacking. But it's past 9p.m. at my end... so yeah...:embarassed:

I think if u snack (healthy snack) cuz u're hungry AND under ur calories, it doesn't count (at least for me :) ) otherwise I find it too hard to go to bed (if stomach is growling and stuff).
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Just finishing up day 2 for myself:drinker:
  • irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    uh. HELL YEAH

my time will be 8.

done.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    No food after 10 on weekdays. No food after midnight on weekends.

My schedule is a little hectic since I'm a student also working part time. My sleeping schedule is a joke which I know isn't good for my weight loss.
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    U know thats really good you broke the weekend from the weekday. I did pretty well i had little bit of chocolate. So i might not be making it passed day 0 however i surely am not snacking as much as i was.
  • gmukris
    gmukris Posts: 539
    Options
    Tonight is night 6 for me! I hope you are all doing well with this challenge!
  • HEALTHJUNKIE
    Options
    Night 6? That's Awesome! I am going to have to change my time from 9 to 9:30 because some nights lately, I don't even get home from my kids activities until almost 9 and still have to eat dinner, but for the first time since we started the challenge......I made it last night! I woke up around 1:00 this morning for my usual "snack fest", but I managed to just go back to sleep. This proves to me that I CAN do it. I just have to set my mind to it :smile:
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm in today will be day 1. No late night snacking for me after 8pm because I usually go to bed by 10 or a little later. Good luck to all. I hope everyone is doing well with this challange.:happy:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread for a week, but I'm in. 9 is my cut off time. My wife goes to bed at 9:30 or 10 and I stay up until midnight or so. I usually do my damage after she goes to bed & I get lonely and bored.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread for a week, but I'm in. 9 is my cut off time. My wife goes to bed at 9:30 or 10 and I stay up until midnight or so. I usually do my damage after she goes to bed & I get lonely and bored.

A clap for the first guy to join. Glad you're in, dothompson, and good luck!

Day 1 here. Under my cals (after a jog) - not the best choices of food ever for the day, but I haven't eaten past 7:30, which is whoohoo, early. Let's see if I'll stay strong tonight (will let you know tomorrow, hehe)
  • kirstina_23
    Options
    Ok so i still didnt make it past but in my eyes im doing really good. Again only eat 12 almonds at 11. Well im off to bed have a goodnight.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Last night was my new Day 1. Hopefully, tonight will be Day 2.
    While my cut-off is normally 9:30 p.m., I think I, too, will have a later cut-off on special-occasion or week-end nights. For example, some Friday nights we have a ballroom dance lesson with friends and go out for dinner afterwards around 9 p.m.. My cut-off then will be 11:30 p.m.(it's not really snacking anyway).
    I think we should all get a pass for New Year's Eve!:drinker:
    Zaza
  • dewpearl
    Options
    I did stay strong last night, so moving on towards day 2. :drinker:

Donno what I'll be doing tonight, cos I'm going for a drink and meeting the guys around 8p.m. Well, if it takes too long to order, I'll get some hot tea :glasses:. I might sound pathetic, but I do want to get this work. :wink:

I still have stupid watter weight :sad: . Or at least my scale shows 58% or something. I've gotta find a way to get that down and maybe 2lbs would vanish just like that. :tongue:
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    This is a very hard challenge!!!!
    I lost again last night.... I had a piece of pie and some frozen yogurt at 9:30pm after taking my boy to urgent care. I was doing really good, now, I am back to day one....:grumble: :ohwell:

I will try to do better for longer this time.
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I still am on a good path.

Didn't eat paast 630 last night.

Girls keep up the good work.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Finished day one, and feeling good. I stopped myself when I was waking to the fridge for my late night graise, had a glass of plain iced tea instead.

Thanks for the challenge.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    So I did good last night my goal was 8pm but yesterday was kind of busy so I ended at 830 instead. Not a big deal though because I didn't go to bed till 11:30. So tonight is day 2. Does anyone know if this actually does something (not eating so close to bed time)? I have heard so many people say it really doesn't make a difference so I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were.
  • dewpearl
    Options
    This is a very hard challenge!!!!

Oh, how I agree to this one! :angry: I'm back to day 0. Not a bad day today, though, but better stick to my commitment. So I'll restart (again! :grumble: )

usmcwifeb15, I've formulated at some point my opinion: if you eat a normal meal, eating in the evening is not much different from eating at lunch. Eating close to bedtime is not good for your sleep, though (but neither is a growling stomach).

On the other hand, snacking in the evening means quite a thing, when you eat and eat and eat. I have an office work, but for other kinds of jobs, snacking during the day means really a snack and then coming home means you can eat without end :). The food you eat has the same amount of calories, but when you add them up... you might easily go over the line.

My personal reason is simpler: late snacks usually have salt in them, which makes me gain some fake weight - the watter weight. And since the scale is dictating my mood quite a fair bit, I prefer to get this out of my way :wink: .

So, here I go, day 0 and still hoping for 2 digit-numbers :drinker:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Last night was Day 2. I was about to look for a little something when I remembered this thread. I am happy I avoided temptation.:smile:
    To address usmcwifeb15 question, I don't know whether or not the timing of food makes a difference, but, for me, avoiding snacks at night is a way to limit my calories overall. Presumably, by my cut-off time, I've already had all that I should have had. So, if I snacking at night (meaning I go over my calories) i will not lose weight. This thread is helping me be more disciplined and I have a greater shot of reaching mfp goal.
    Good luck tonight everyone. You can do it!
    Zaza
  • kirstina_23
    Options
    Ok day 0 for me i had cookies and milk at 11 but didnt go to bed till 200 so i did ok but im still going to count it as cheating.

To answer usm's question and for all of us

Nix Nighttime Nibbling

Nighttime nibbling is a tough habit to break. For many people, having a snack before bed is a ritual, one that’s been in place since childhood. But breaking it is essential for your success. Why is that? At night, your body is in “wind-down” mode, getting ready for sleep. When you have a pre-bedtime bite, your body has a hard time digesting it. Not to mention, the foods we usually nosh on at night are less-than-nutritious. Plus, because you’re hitting the sack, it’s unlikely that you’ll burn off any of the calories you've just eaten—unless you’ve truly not eaten enough during the day. (You automatically burn some of the calories you consume during the day because you're active.) It's this double whammy—the extra calories and missed opportunities for exercise—that can cause you to pack on unwanted pounds over the years. To nix nighttime nibbling, follow this four-step plan.

Step 1: Check your calories. Nighttime nibbling is often the result of skimping during the day. If you eat too little, you’ll likely be ravenous come dinner time, which could lead you to overdo it. You can easily end up consuming far more calories to satisfy this hunger than you would have had you just eaten your recommended calories for the day. Try to get around 1,500 calories spread out evenly throughout the day. Not only will you be able to get all the nutrients you need at this calorie level, but you'll also be able to stick with your diet. Simply put, when you eat enough calories, you’ll feel fuller and less likely to overeat.

Step 2: Keep a food journal. Log your food intake to make sure you’re eating enough throughout the day. Also, aim for balanced meals (ones that contain protein, fat and carbohydrates ), which can help stabilize your blood sugar level and prevent overeating. Check out the menu plans and recipes for some ideas.

Step 3: Have Breakfast. A nutritious, balanced breakfast helps set the stage for healthy eating all day long. In fact, studies show that breakfast eaters are healthier overall: They weigh less, are more alert, have healthier cholesterol levels, eat less fat and fewer calories during the day, and they live longer. Not bad for a bowl of cereal!

Step 4: Choose wisely. If you still feel like you need a little something before bed, try a low-cal drink, such as a nighttime nip of herbal tea with a spritz of lemon or a glass of seltzer water with a splash of fruit juice. Because they contain little to no calories, it doesn't affect the nighttime cut-off.

Still hungry? If you really haven’t eaten right during the day and the tug of hunger is preventing you from sleeping, have a light snack (150 calories or less), such as six ounces of low-fat yogurt, one slice of whole-wheat toast thinly spread with peanut butter or a piece of fruit such as an apple, banana, orange or pear. Then, try to stick to a healthy-eating schedule the next day so you're not feeling too hungry before bed and can check off that you've met this Challenge goal.