Are eggs bad for you?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    eggs are great for you! continue eating them.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Someone asked what to do with the yolks from separating your egg yolks/whites....

They actually make an AMAZING facial mask! Seriously! Spread the yolk on your face and leave it for 15 minutes 3 times per week. You'll be amazed! I've done this my entire life and have perfect skin. I store my in tupperware in the fridge until I'm ready to use it.

Great idea!! Thanks!! I have frozen them in the past thinking that i would get around to using them and never do. This, I can remember to do!!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.

Slightly off topic, but I think you're using the term "processed" here very broadly. Letting full fat milk sit so the fat rises to the top in order to be skimmed off just doesn't fall under my idea of "processed".

I only wish that WAS how they still made skimmed milk.

Agree this is off topic of eggs, but why would anyone want to drink unprocessed milk. Pasteurizaiton of milk is good thing. Not everything natural is good for you.
    Exactly and though I realize that it's much more complicated than just letting the fat rise - I don't think it's fair to lump skim milk into the processed foods category.

I am not talking about pasteurization; that is simply heating the milk. To make skim milk they add skim milk powder. Skim milk powder is made by forcing liquid milk through a tiny hole at high pleasure, blowing it out in the air and then collecting it. This process causes the formation of nitrates and oxidizes the cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to atherosclerosis, where as natural cholesterol does not.

Still think skim milk is not a processed food.?

"Kurt A. Oster, M.D., who worked during the 1960s through the 1980s, suggested a link between homogenized milk and arterosclerosis, due to damage to plasmalogen resulting from the release of bovine xanthine oxidase (BXO) from the milk fat globular membrane (MFGM) during homogenization. Oster's hypothesis has been widely criticized, however, and has not been generally accepted by the scientific community. No link has been found between arterosclerosis and milk consumption. http://www.aseanfood.info/scripts/count_article.asp?Article_code=11016496
  • maggieskinner
    Options
    There is a lot of difference of opinion on this because of the cholesterol content but I believe that the consensus of opinion these days is that they are good for you
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.

Slightly off topic, but I think you're using the term "processed" here very broadly. Letting full fat milk sit so the fat rises to the top in order to be skimmed off just doesn't fall under my idea of "processed".

I only wish that WAS how they still made skimmed milk.

Agree this is off topic of eggs, but why would anyone want to drink unprocessed milk. Pasteurizaiton of milk is good thing. Not everything natural is good for you.
    Exactly and though I realize that it's much more complicated than just letting the fat rise - I don't think it's fair to lump skim milk into the processed foods category.

I am not talking about pasteurization; that is simply heating the milk. To make skim milk they add skim milk powder. Skim milk powder is made by forcing liquid milk through a tiny hole at high pleasure, blowing it out in the air and then collecting it. This process causes the formation of nitrates and oxidizes the cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to atherosclerosis, where as natural cholesterol does not.

Still think skim milk is not a processed food.?

"Kurt A. Oster, M.D., who worked during the 1960s through the 1980s, suggested a link between homogenized milk and arterosclerosis, due to damage to plasmalogen resulting from the release of bovine xanthine oxidase (BXO) from the milk fat globular membrane (MFGM) during homogenization. Oster's hypothesis has been widely criticized, however, and has not been generally accepted by the scientific community. No link has been found between arterosclerosis and milk consumption. http://www.aseanfood.info/scripts/count_article.asp?Article_code=11016496

Did I say that milk contributes to atherosclerosis? No, I said that oxidized cholesterol does, and admitiedly the levels of oxidized cholesterol in skim milk are low. I also did not comment specifically on homogenization. So I am not sure what point you are trying to make here. My point was to emphasize the amount of processing that lower fat milks go though and the negative effects. Most people don’t like nitrates added to their meats and consider them a “processed food” as a result, but nitrates as a byproduct to reducing milk fat it is ok?