Mean Girl Comment

Options
12346»

Replies

• fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh 230 lbs so when I do an hour of high impact cardio, sometimes 2 hours or more (b/c I have the time since Im a stay at home mom and online student) I can EASILY burn 2000-3000 cals in one day....(exercise is my stress decreaser) so you wonder y I am not losing fast??? b/c I have to eat those calories back and therefore I am left with my 500 calorie deficit that allows me to lose about 1 lb per week. So in a year from now if you are still keeping track of those who are not losing "very fast" they have not lost 52 lbs.. then I'd be concerned. I'd have to lose about 30 lbs for you to be able to tell anything is gone. I just think this question is very ridiculous like you are insulting people without knowing it. basically saying "hey fat person you exercise but you are still fat" I think we know it so that is why we are working out.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    heavier people burn more calories than lighter people and men burn more calories than women. so a 200 pound man could easily burn 2000 calories doing the same exercise as a 120 pound women that only burned 300.

also, some of us are involved in the rowing challenge which was designed for people to push themselves harder on their workouts. why all of these larger burns are popping up now is because rowers really want their team to win so they are pushing themselves. but its only been about 2 weeks. check them out at the end of the competition and i bet the "larger" ones wont be so large!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I tend to have great burns during the week when I do my regular workouts, taekwondo and (key here) my husband isn't home as much. Not his fault, but during the weekends when he's around I totally blow it quite often. So when I have the time (during the week) I try to get some extra exercise in where ever I can in hopes that the weekend damage will be mitigated a little bit. Still working on reigning them in and not being bad in the first place but it's a process.

Besides, you can't out train a bad diet.
  • MissionABS
    MissionABS Posts: 80
    Options
    I think MFP seriously over-calculates the calories burned. Like 1,000 calories for mowing the lawn and gardening? Are you for serious? Plus, it's not exercise really, so don't track it. Fit people are fit because they are active without really thinking about it. If you nit-pick on every little calorie gained or lost you will go nowhere.

Plus just because you are burning calories doesn't mean you will lose weight. If you go on the elliptical everyday you won't lose as much weight as if you incorporate strength training and different cardio training as well.

TL/DR: MFP over calculates calories burned

Some of my best weight loss weeks were largely impacted by working in the yard. Although I agree MFP over calculates on things, there are way too many variables in yard work to rely on a calculator for calories burned. In my case, I wouldn't be shocked if I was understating the burn.
  • thinmint57
    Options
    We all have to have our moments - and mine is now. Why is it that I see in some people's posts that they seem to be burning an outrageous unbelievable number of calories everyday - and they're still.....large. I know it shouldn't bother me but I've been on here for a little while and I'm beginning to notice things. It's so hard to believe that some of these people are burning like 2000 calories a day???? Really?!

Guess it was just my turn for a mini rant. Most of the time of supportive and encouraging...just had to let it out!

So, basically what you are saying is that 'large' people who post a high calorie burn are lying? Wow, judgmental much? Who are you to say they are lying?

Let me just say that I sincerely hope that none of your MFP friends on here are 'large', because this post is highly offensive. And the reason that they are still 'large' even after burning tons of calories is because weight just doesn't magically fall off when you exercise. It takes a hell of a lot of time to lose a large amount of weight. Get off your high horse and try being supportive instead of so condescending. :huh:
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think MFP seriously over-calculates the calories burned. Like 1,000 calories for mowing the lawn and gardening? Are you for serious? Plus, it's not exercise really, so don't track it. Fit people are fit because they are active without really thinking about it. If you nit-pick on every little calorie gained or lost you will go nowhere.

Plus just because you are burning calories doesn't mean you will lose weight. If you go on the elliptical everyday you won't lose as much weight as if you incorporate strength training and different cardio training as well.

TL/DR: MFP over calculates calories burned

You've never mowed MY lawn! LOL I believe I burn a fair amount of cals doing that! It's a rough, bumpy walk plus pushing who knows how much my mower weighs!
    I tend not to eat my exercise cals back, but I have a physical job so I am burning more cals there then I account for. Besides, if I over credit myself, I'm the one who's paying the price. When I see those big burns, I just don't comment. Some of them seem redicilous, but really, I've got enough to worry about, I'm not wasting my time on their cal burns! I deleted a "friend" for this reason though. I had a hard time not being catty, so I just deleted him.
  • Soon2BMrsRamos
    Options
    That's because large people burn WAY more calories than smaller people. I have a friend that weighs quite a bit more than me and when she does zumba for an hour she burns over 900 calories whereas I burn 500. It's totally normal for her to burn more, she's moving a lot more weight and her heart has to work harder as a result.

So it is entirely plausible that "larger" individuals burn 2,000 calories a day in exercise.

I am Rina's friend she is mentioning. I have a HRM that I have gone over the settings multiple times to make sure I get the most accurate number. It depends on your size and your intensity. That is why I bought my HRM because it is able to determine my intensity based on my HR and determine calories burned effectively. I am also a nurse so on a busy night I can burn well into the 1000's. If I add on the zumba if I combine them for the day I burn 2000 +. I am commited to my weight loss progress and while I may have my days where I eat non-healthy foods or eat too many calories I am determined to lose weight. I joined MFP for motivation and support not to be criticized on the amount of calories I am burning.
  • RinaMax
    RinaMax Posts: 33
    Options
    And let me just point out that Ashley is doing awesome and looks like she's shedding pounds very quickly. Every time I see her she looks more tone and slimmer. I'm so proud of her! It boggles my mind that people actually have the nerve to suggest that "larger" people are misstating how many calories they're burning because "smaller" people can't possibly burn that many calories.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to say......
    "I really wanna lose 3 pounds."
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options

............................. You're so skinny.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options

............................. You're so skinny.

Do you have this in the next size up?

--No. We only carry sizes 1, 3, and 5. You can try Sears

Scoff!