The last 10 pounds challenge (closed group)

Options

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Vsetter.... (and everyone else!) What do you think about introducing a refeed day? Scary...but I've been reading up on them since getting back from my holiday. Many of us have been on restricted calories for quite some time. After eating myself stupid for a whole week and then 3 days later being back to my normal weight it has given me food for thought towards refeeds :laugh:

Honestly, I have one day a week where I go over calories....BIG TIME....I think it hurts me, personally when I do that. But everyone is different??? :huh:
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Honestly, I have one day a week where I go over calories....BIG TIME....I think it hurts me, personally when I do that. But everyone is different??? :huh:

Hmmm I think you're right about it working for different people. Might not be the best for a group challange.

Just for interest though- In the articles I've been reading, the research states that refeeds can be beneficial for people who have been at an intense calorie deficiency (500 calories+ per day) for 4+ months and lost at least 10-15% of their body weight. It also addressed the appropriate macros for a refeed opposed to just eating more calories. I think I'm going to give it a try.

I'll let you know how I go :smile:
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Good Luck!!! Looking forward to see how you progress :happy: It sounds really interesting!!!

I've only been at a 250 deficit since I started MFP and haven't lost a significant amount of weight either, so it makes sense that it kind of works against me, I guess???? :laugh:
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Hmmm I think you're right about it working for different people. Might not be the best for a group challange.

Just for interest though- In the articles I've been reading, the research states that refeeds can be beneficial for people who have been at an intense calorie deficiency (500 calories+ per day) for 4+ months and lost at least 10-15% of their body weight. It also addressed the appropriate macros for a refeed opposed to just eating more calories. I think I'm going to give it a try.

I'll let you know how I go :smile:

So what exactly is a refeed? I get that it is eating more calories than your body is used to, but how many more are we talking about? Is it similar to zig zagging?
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So what exactly is a refeed? I get that it is eating more calories than your body is used to, but how many more are we talking about? Is it similar to zig zagging?

It's more like a structured cheat day where you eat OVER your maintenance calories (scary I know!) This is said to 'kick' start your metabolism into high gear. I would have been worried about trying this before but after having been on holidays for a week and eating above maintenance ALL week and only being up 1.7Ib 3 days later, I'm NOT so worried because let's face it, the 1200 calories isn't doing it for me at the moment!

The macros is suppose to look something like this:
    1-1.25g of protein per lb of body weight
    <50g of fats
    Rest of cals in carbs but limit sugars (need lots of bread, pasta, rice etc).
    Total cals need to be +300-500 over maintenance (+ any exercise calories that you may earn)

I'm giving it a go, so can let you know how it goes =)

You can read more up on it on these websites:

http://shannonclark.hubpages.com/hub/All_About_Refeeds
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/diet-nutrition/25250-refeeds-leptin.html
    http://jcdfitness.com/2010/06/the-preemptive-refeed/
  • midnight8
    Options
    I am 134.2 today, (dropped 2 pounds since the beach) yikees, how do we gain so fast yet lose so slow? :ohwell: Hope all of you are doing well. Remember, eating doesn't feel as good as being healthy does. :)
  • vsetter
    Options
    Great job Midnight!

Well....I weighed myself today and found myself a quarter pound less. I guess it's something. I was just hoping for more, especially as I was feeling quite thin this morning.

I'm trying to stick to the Turbo Fire schedule to see if I can break this plateau. I'm giving it 6 weeks to do the job! 6 weeks to drop 2 pounds -- I don't think that is unrealistic. That would put me at a new low. Is measurements change, that would be great too.

Keep up the good work Ladies!
  • vsetter
    Options
    So what positive changes have come out of this challenge for you?

ME????
    I think my legs are looking better! AND -- my big one -- I can do 2 "real" pushups. When I started, due to my mastectomy, I could barely do "girl" pushups. This is a huge accomplishment for my left arm and chest. I'm thrilled!
  • vsetter
    Options
    On a personal note --
    Tomorrow I go in for a ct scan. Docs are scanning my lungs because when diagnosed they found 2 spots (one on each lung). They suspect that it is scar tissue, as has been too small to biopsy. Technology is so good that you would probably find spots on anyone's ct scan. But -- it is still nervewrecking. Won't see my oncologist for results until the following Monday. I feel good so hopefully that is an indication of a clean scan! Fingers crossed!

So -- ct scan this month, meet with the plastic surgeon next month, and maybe a new rack for Christmas :laugh: If I could drop these few pounds my new rack will look even better :bigsmile:
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    V- I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope all goes well! Also, yay for a new rack!!! :D

Um...TOM. FML. Angry anagrams, ha. 138. :(
    Sunday: Rest
    Monday: Zumba'd my heart out
    Tuesday: Yoga (Vinyasa)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Yoga (JM's Yoga Meltdown, both levels)
    Friday: Circuit Training (Jackie Warner Circuit Training)
    Saturday: Rest

I felt horrible this whole week with stomach issues, and yoga seemed to be the only thing to help-- it must be all the twisting, haha.

I want to reduce calories again. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. But I'm scared of NOT getting my TOM again.

Regarding changes from this challenge:
    - I look a lot closer at my macronutrient ratios, and try to eat accordingly
    - Definitely drinking more water
    - Can finally do crow pose:
    http://www.corepoweryoga.com/Portals/0/crow_blog.jpg (Definitely not me! Pic for general reference purposes) <3
  • vsetter
    Options

I want to reduce calories again. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. But I'm scared of NOT getting my TOM again.

http://www.corepoweryoga.com/Portals/0/crow_blog.jpg (Definitely not me! Pic for general reference purposes) <3

How low were your calories when you TOM stopped?? What are you doing now?

Holy smokes -- the crow pose looks tough!!!! I wouldn't even know how to start getting into that one!!!! Congrats!!!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I'm back in the game! Injuries are healed, new shoes seems to work (only one run behind them), and I had the best bloody weightlifting experience yesterday! weeeeee!

So, I'm just letting you guys know I will be updating again next week with actual stats. *pretty please don't judge my weight. I ate poorly when I couldn't run :( * Yay! I'm going to go search out this weeks challenge in the posts now...
  • vsetter
    Options
    I'm going to go search out this weeks challenge in the posts now...

AHHHH --- we never came up with one! Any ideas???
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Well.. my focus is on running so I am partial to a challenge focusing on that- what ever your cardio of choice- up your time by ten minutes for your "long" cardio workout of the week.

Also: small victories of the day: Ran ten minutes longer than my longest run before injury. I am so happy. Also- to heck with treadmills. Everyone says they are easier than running on a track/outside- LIES! I felt sooo sooo much better and controlled my heartrate (steady 183 bpm) versus yesterday on the treadmill where it was out of control (190 bpm)
  • cheshirechic
    Options

How low were your calories when you TOM stopped?? What are you doing now?

Holy smokes -- the crow pose looks tough!!!! I wouldn't even know how to start getting into that one!!!! Congrats!!!

Lots of patience for Crow, haha.

I was set to lose one pound per week, meaning I was eating 1320. I was also exercising 6 days per week, between 60-90 minutes each day (with both circuit training and cardio). After missing my TOM three times, I decreased to lose a little more than half a pound per week, bringing me to 1500, and exercising two days on, one day off. After that increase, the following month, I had my TOM again. It couldn't have been a stress thing, since I missed it during the summer, when I'm not working. I know that correlation doesn't mean causation, but this seems to have "solved" the TOM issue: the problem is that weight loss is slim to none. Right now, I guess I'm fluctuating between 138 (now...siiiggghhhh) and 135. : /
  • vsetter
    Options
    What if you drop your calories, but keep your current exercise routine of two days on, one day off. My total guess would be that either stress or the high intensity and high quantity workouts would be the cause of missing TOM. Just my guess though.

Let's do that ----
    CHALLENGE -- CHALLENGE -- CHALLENGE

**** Up your cardio routine by 10 minutes each day that you do cardio. My guess is that it will be an extra 30 minutes for the week. You can run extra, walk, get on a real or stationary bike, do jumping jacks, repeat 10 minutes of your video --- whatever works best for you!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    WOW, so much catching up to do with reading and responding....I'm sleepy today and not feeling very chatty, haha!!!!

Had a decent week last week...well except for last sunday when I did not log.

Weight stayed the same AGAIN-129.2, not bad but I just wish I could drop a little, only 1.2lbs to go. I hope to see a drop of some kind in the next two weeks, my husband and I have absolutely no plans for thenext two weekends so I will be able to monitor better and work out both weekend days, which is something I haven't been able to do in months. I always get my saturday workout in but never sundays!!!

Sunday-rest (and gorge :blushing: )
    Monday-2mile walk
    Tuesday-Circuits, cardio and strength
    Wednesday-cardio and strength
    Thursday-Circuits, cardio and strength
    Friday-cardio and strength
    Saturday-Circuits, cardio and strength

So, as for the challenge this week, I will try to add extra cardio in. My ankle still isn't right and I don't want to push it until its 100%, so I could FAIL miserably, but not injuring it further is more important, I guess. :ohwell:

I'll catch up tomorrow, hope everyone has a great day :happy:
  • Brooklyn85
    Options
    Hi Everyone--
    I had a rough week last week... getting sick the third time in a row and super busy. I only managed to work out once, and I ate too much on Saturday!

Weight is still the same luckily. About 5 more pounds to go. I'll be happy with just 2 more for awhile, just being under 130 would be great.
    I just changed my calories back to 1250 from 1300 so now it will look like I was over, but I was actually only over on one day last week.
    For the challenge, extra time on cardio probably won't work for me since I'm so pressed for time as is. I'm trying to work out with extra intensity instead of extra time. Just got a new heart rate monitor so now I can track my calories burnt more accurately finally!
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    V- Good advice. I'm going to try to go back down to 1400, and see what happens. It's not that much lower, and I can still envision eating like a regular person on rest days. Thanks for the suggestion!

(So...if I change it for today, know that my previous week I would be over every day, of course.)
  • vsetter
    Options
    You guys are quiet! How is everyone???

On another note ---- do you ever get headaches during times that you are eating low calories? I am set at 1247 calories per day and am not eating back exercise calories (for the most part).