40 pounds and I don't see the difference

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    well 40pounds is fantastic. your friend nonetheless seems kind of jealous maybe, idk if she's big but that just wasn't a nice comment. are you doing strength training? that helps shed a lot of inches and loose more fat and you'll see a big difference. i started at 300pounds and didn't see a difference until around 30 I guess.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    old003.jpg

264834_10150240826659333_786459332_6994935_7462263_n.jpg

hope this works. first one is me at 218 the second one is me a few weeks ago at 182. I am 178 today.

I see a difference in your face and your shoulders especially!

YES! Your friend DOES need glasses, lol. You're amazing, you look really good. Big difference, and I don't lie to boosts any egos, lol. There really is a big difference. keep going strong.
  • mspalinger
    mspalinger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wow with friends like that who needs enemies right. 40 lbs and 2 sizes obviously there is a difference. Even if your shape is the same its clearly smaller. I think of all people your husband would be able to tell the difference listen to him not your friend. When we have a lot to lose, Im not sure what you have, even when we lose some we dont see it because all we see if how much further we have and well it is a slow loss so it gradually sneaks up on us. 2 sizes cant be denied though so celebrate, and dont take your friend shopping with you again.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!

Go to Target... go to the pet aisle. Find a 40# box of Tidy Cat Clumping Cat litter. Pick up that sucker. Carry it up and down the aisle, and then try to tell me 40# doesn't make a difference. :wink:

Forty pounds is a LOT! You used to carry that around all the time. Losing it is a very big deal, and you should be proud!

What you friend said was insensitive. But it's also true that it's hard to notice the difference in people you see often, and especially if you're wearing the same oversized clothes.

Plus, I know with a lot of my friends and family members, I don't notice too much if they lost weight (or gained weight) because I don't really LOOK at them that (what's the word I'm looking for?) critically? I look at myself in the mirror, and I analyze it. I notice every lump and bump, that one eyebrow is higher than the other, that my nose bends a bit to one side, etc. I don't analyze my friends and family like that. I see them as the whole package. It's what allows me to see my aunt I don't see very often, and honestly tell her she looks the same as she did when I was a kid. She's in her 70s now. And if I really, really look at her, she does look her age. But when I see her, I still see my smiling, happy, joyful aunt.

It's not always a bad thing when people don't notice a change.
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    I TOTALLY see a difference! Your friend is just jealous. Don't stop what you're doing! You go girl!!!
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lb over the last 9 months and it took 2 weeks off work on holiday for my work colleagues to notice there was something different about me....one asked had I had my hair done and only when i said i'd lost weight they realised why i looked different! err thanks girls!! but i too have gone down 2 dress sizes, feel so full of positive energy and have a bunch more confidence!! it's addictive the more i lose!!
  • prettyash76
    prettyash76 Posts: 117
    Options
    I see the difference. Its obvious. Ur neck and shoulders are so much thinner on the second pic. I see definition in ur face now. Theres a big difference. Looking good!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    What your friend said was rude and insensitive, plain and simple. Honesty is not always the best policy. You should have responded by telling her about your weight loss, and then she's feel real stupid. Anyway, I wonder if you are not seeing a huge difference because of the exercises you are(or are not)doing. If you are not working out, you will shrink, but your body will not change much. If you are working out but not doing any strength training, that too can lead to a lack of tone and definition. So, think about changing up your work out, and try and feel good about what you have accomplished. 40 pounds is great!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    it's definitely harder to see a difference in yourself, since you see yourself every day..your friend sounds very rude, and she had to have been lying..others see our changes better than we do, and 40 lbs lost is noticeable..i have lost 34 lbs, and i can see..keep your head up, and keep working for it..best of luck
  • kendrara
    kendrara Posts: 28
    Options
    old003.jpg

264834_10150240826659333_786459332_6994935_7462263_n.jpg

hope this works. first one is me at 218 the second one is me a few weeks ago at 182. I am 178 today.

I see a difference in your face and your shoulders especially!

I'm new on here and I can see a big difference in the before and after. Good job! losing 40lbs is a journey. I would say taking measurements will be best to show you the difference(2 sizes is almost 4 inches isnt it?). As far as I can tell you lost weight overall but from the post i can see your face slimmed down and around your shoulders.

Our friends may speak the truth but they are only human, and when someone is taking charge and becoming healthy and seeing results....jealousy can be an issue.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!! Congratulations on 40 lbs! :)
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't know how your friend can't see a difference! You face is sooooo much thinnner now! I can also see the difference in your arms and legs.

I have been big my entire life 10 years ago I lost 50 pounds and got down to 175 and it took quite a while to see the difference in myself... sur emy clothes were baggy and i had to buy smaller sizes but it didn't sink in until I saw a picture of myself with a good friend and compare that to a picture from a year before with the same friend. She had not changed size only i had and at the time I looked good! And so do you! Keep up the good work!!!
  • SammieFierce
    SammieFierce Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey there! You definitely look smaller in the second picture! AWESOME work! What you have accomplished is wonderful!
  • sfrazier1951
    Options
    Hello Fit Pal -
    I get my feedback from the scale and the smaller size clothes I am now buying. It's difficult for us to see improvement, in this case, our weight loss. I have lost 31 pounds and the mere fact that I am not at the same weight or in the same clothes serve has my positive reinforcement. Hang in there...you're doing great and those around you will come around and give you those words of encourgagement you need. Great job on your weight loss!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    um.

What might help YOU see YOUR progress is pics in your undies? (only for you) You can see all your bits/bobs and see how things have changed.

I can tell you by looking at your pics that you've DEF changed. Your face is DRAMATICALLY changed. That girl just seems jealous/snide.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Try to find someone that hasn't seen you since you lost the weight. People that see you everyday have a little harder time seeing a difference, find some fresh eyes :) Im sure with 40 pounds there is a difference but like I said you see yourself everyday so find some new eyes :)
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I bet that friend was just jealous!!!

I agree! 40 lbs quite an accomplishment! Congratulations!!!!

Hate to agree but your friend was just being a pain, and rude...

I can't wait till I can say I've lost 40...and hopefully it will be noticeable...going back to my old work location in a month, hoping to be down 25-30 from when I left...that will be an accomplishment in my opinion...2 dress sizes is awesome! and I'm jealous...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
  • amkatayl
    amkatayl Posts: 4
    Options
    The proof is in the picture. I can see a BIG difference, especially in your face.You should display these pictures side by side somewhere in your house so your friend can see. Great Job!!:happy:
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    First, that girl is not your friend. Find new friends.

Second, you may just see yourself as that "fat" girl for a long time. Your mind can't process the fact that you are thinner. It's like those thin girls that see a fat girl in the mirror. But you are changing! I can see the difference. Keep up the hard work!
  • ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your friend is rude and maybe just a tad jealous of your success so far. Ignore her and keep at it. I’ve lost about 15 pounds and can’t see the difference but my husband does... My jeans don’t feel any looser as a matter of fact they kinda feel tighter in the waist!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!