Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-August 2011

Options
Welcome everyone!

This forum is for women who are pregnant and are maintaining their fit and active lifestyles to join with other like minded women! I've been on a board with women who were trying to conceive and I've been on a board with women who are pregnant....I wanted to start a group of women who are into fitness and will continue their fitness regimes into their pregnancies and after baby!

If you are trying to conceive please join our sister group at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/254620-fit-for-future-families-june-2011
They are beyond wonderful and will keep you motivated to stay healthy and lots of info to help with the ttc journey.

The women here are very motivational to each other. We are all at different stages of our pregnancy so if you just found out or you are at the end, please join us!

Link to our previous thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/278743-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-july-2011

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Hope you all had a great weekend! Welcome to all the newcomers! Jump right in!

We had a great weekend. On Saturday we went to our Bradley class and then had lunch with some friends. We went to a baby furniture store and ordered our pink glider (which I can't WAIT to see in Charlee's nursery) and then went to Babies R Us to register. Registering for stuff was actually really fun. We then came home and relaxed. Yesterday I spent the entire day in my pj's. Al worked on the rocker he is making for Charlee. It was his when he was little and so he is sanding/painting it and decorating it with her name on it.

Had plans of getting up before 7 and taking my dog for a walk but set my alarm for pm instead of am accidentally and ended up sleeping later than expected. By the time I took her outside to potty at 8 it was already 92* and humid....I can't believe I managed to be pregnant on the hottest summer in history! lol Oh well...a good story to tell Charlee. I'm about to get on the treadmill though and then do an hour of toning.

I go to the chiro and have several times since I've been pregnant. Most MD's don't believe in going to the chiro even when not pregnant so you might get some negative info when asking at your next appointment. I was curious about the spray tan too...I'd imagine it isn't horrible, but it isn't good. You breath in those chemicals from the tan so anything like that isn't going to be good. If you wore a mask or something I'm sure it would be fine. I just can't see myself standing half naked with a mask on getting spray tanned! lol!

Kristy you might want to call Tricare directly and ask them. The office here tells people Tricare won't pay for a 20wk ultrasound, but they do. It isn't just to find out the sex of the baby. It is to do a fetal growth and development scan to make sure the baby is growing how it should, make sure the placenta is in a good spot, the right amount of amniotic fluid is present...etc.. Don't just take your office's word that tricare won't cover it. I know you are in a different coverage area so things might be a little different there, but it wouldn't hurt to make the call and ask tricare if they cover a 20 week fetal growth and development scan (don't say "to check the sex of the baby" lol).

I know I've said this before...but I truly miss doing group exercises. I miss the energy and music of a good Spinning or Cardio Kickbox class. I love living in a safe, quiet town...but I miss being close to a large gym with lots of group exercise options! Working out at home just doesn't get my blood pumping the same.... :(
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Argh! Not feeling fit, fabulous or pregnant...just chubby. Need some words of motivation, pretty please.
  • c00ncc
    c00ncc Posts: 55
    Options
    Well I just found out I was pregnant on July 19th, needless to say this is a total surprise...I've had some issues and really trying to stay motivated about this pregnancy.

1) husband is not happy at all that we are pregnant again because he doesn't want more children (he has a 14 yr old and we have a 2 yr old together)
    2) I miscarried a year ago and i'm scared and stressing over that.
    3) I've had bleeding and had to start progesterone meds to help lower my chances of miscarriage.

I went for my first ultrasound on Thursday 7/28 but all we saw was the sac no baby yet...so we are hoping that it is just too early to see anything. I go again tomorrow for another ultrasound, so we'll see.

If this pregnancy "sticks" I'm hoping not to gain as much as I did with my daughter, with her I gained 61 pounds and OMG I was so disgusted with myself.

I haven't been exercising because i'm trying to wait til my chances of miscarriage are dropped.

Please help keep me motivated and stress free!
  • rgtierney
    rgtierney Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. I found out a week ago that I'm pregnant (6 weeks today, I think). I'm already up 3 pounds, I'm hoping its just water. I'm wondering what other folks did about calories? How many a day were you eating in the first trimerster? Also, had some spotting last night (no exercise yesterday so I can't point to a "cause"), called the doc and they said don't worry. Rignt how I've been running 3 days a week. Should I stop running? Switch to walking? Any thoughts/advice on this would be much appreciated. With my frist pregnancy i had gestational diabetes so I'm watching what I eat VERY closely in hopes of avoiding it this time.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. I found out a week ago that I'm pregnant (6 weeks today, I think). I'm already up 3 pounds, I'm hoping its just water. I'm wondering what other folks did about calories? How many a day were you eating in the first trimerster? Also, had some spotting last night (no exercise yesterday so I can't point to a "cause"), called the doc and they said don't worry. Rignt how I've been running 3 days a week. Should I stop running? Switch to walking? Any thoughts/advice on this would be much appreciated. With my frist pregnancy i had gestational diabetes so I'm watching what I eat VERY closely in hopes of avoiding it this time.

For the first trimester I set to maintain my weight. I just started my 2nd trimester and set to gain 1/2 pound a week which gives me almost 300 extra calories a day. It's great. In my first tri I usually ended up eating some exercise calories back. I just started the 2nd so not sure how it will work out. I had a hard time with the calorie increase at first after eating only 1200 a day for about 5 months but my weight has been stable since I changed my calories.

My doctor also said to continue doing what I had been doing and the simplest way to see if I'm working too hard? If I can't talk, I am working too hard. You probably want to ask your doctor though. I run a couple mile runs, swim, do light lifting and walk. I quit doing yoga on the advice of my instructor but will be starting back soon now that I'm 2nd trimester with modifications.

Welcome to the new peeps and good luck with your pregnancies!

-Ashley
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Welcome ladies!

Check out our previous forums for advice on calories during pregnancy! Lots of info for sure!

Also, I had 2 prior m/c after having tried for over 7 years to have a baby and my high risk pregnancy doctor as well as my family doctor both told me that working out has nothing to do with having m/c in early pregnancy! So don't stop on account of fear. Wishing you all the best!
  • ldykema
    ldykema Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this forum and can't wait to connect with others! I'm currently 11w6d (due Valentine's Day) with baby #3. We have a 6 year old girl and a 4 year old boy. So far things have gone great... we've had two ultrasounds and the baby is healthy and growing! We had two because our OB does a brief one at the first appointment and then he thought he may have seen twins, but the second ultrasound verified that it's just one :)

Other than that, I'm a runner (completed my third marathon Memorial Day weekend and hope to run a half marathon in October... slower, of course). I'm hoping to not gain as much as my previous pregnancies (40 lbs. with first, even though I ran for the first 8 months, and 50 lbs. with second).

If I can provide any advice at all, I'd suggest exercise as much and as long as possible (even if it ends up being speed walking!). My second pregnancy was much more difficult and I'm fairly positive that it had to do with my lack of exercising. My OB said that the more that you move, the fewer aches and pains you'll have throughout the pregnancy, HTH!
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    congrats to all of you and wish I'd of had something like this when I was pregnant with my 4 boys. I agree with another postee in here that keep on working out as much as you can throughout your 9 months and you will be so much further ahead. So often
    we hear that "I'm eating for two" or I'm too pregnant to workout. I love to work with new mommies after having baby and wanting to regain their figure. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO FRIEND ME for some daily positive food for thought and ask me anything you like as I have some
    great experience on how to not have morning sickness, how to keep in shape during, and get back in shape afterwards so
    feel free to ask.

Happy Pregnancy...embrace it as it is such a beautiful time. Colleen
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm just writing this because I want this thread to show up on my topics. :-)
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Idykema welcome! I love having hardcore fitness lovers on the forum! :) You are so right in that continuing to workout is the key! That is exactly why I started this forum....so that like minded women can keep each other motivated with working out and eating right! Having a passion for fitness is part of my life and I think it is so important when it comes to having a healthy pregnancy! As long as you are working out and eating healthy, even 40lbs isn't bad. Having a "healthy gain" is a lot different than gaining 40lbs from sitting on the couch and eating junk!

Archyjill some days are better than others...The best advice I have is to do something that you love doing (cranking up the music on your iPod and running, going to a Spinning class, going out for a nice walk)! Sometimes we need to fake it until we make it! And by that I mean I get more energy when I make myself get up and do it then if I just sit around and feel tired. I hope this helps!

I got my workout in and feel so much better. I just wish it weren't so stinking hot out so I could take my dog for a nice long walk. I miss being outside! I had the most delicious salad with chicken breast I had made in the crockpot yesterday (just put in about 6 free range organic chicken breasts, white cooking wine, and dry Italian dressing into the crockpot for 6-8 hours on low and the chicken is awesomeness for the rest of the week!) and fresh fruit! It is my all time FAV lunch now! So tell me...what is your all time FAV meal and what is it?!

And btw....I'm super excited to be in double digits! 99 days left until I'm due! :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just curious-
    Do you guys eat feta while pregnant? My doctor didn't mention cheeses this time. I know I can't eat danish blue cheese, brie, camembert, and I think goat cheese was also on that list, right?
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was pretty much lurking on the July board, but I do want to be more active in the boards now. I have my first appointment tomorrow and I'm scared to death. Hubby and I have been through 2 miscarriages and 3 years of infertility. I wasn't on meds yet, my doctor had wanted me to lose a little bit more weight before starting that route. Apparently that was all I really needed since it came as a huge shock that we're pregnant. Last time I had been to my doctor, she had told me that I wasn't ovulating.

Hubby is military, so things are done a bit differently for us. We're stationed in Alaska which is considered an overseas assignment. That means that we have a fully functioning hospital/clinic on base. When I went to the orientation class they mentioned that we get two u/s. One at our first visit and one at 20wks. Any after that we have to cover ourselves off base.

I haven't really had any morning sickness and I'm 7w5d. I've had boat loads of nausea and exhaustion though. I did end up dry heaving a couple of times yesterday which wasn't fun at all. And so far, no real food cravings. Although I have figured out that anything with milk in it makes me really nauseous and has a really weird after taste. My weight has stayed pretty much the same, up for a bit because I went from losing 2lbs a week to maintenance. And now it's going back down. So far 2 lbs down from when I found out 3 weeks ago. Even though I've lost some weight, I'm having a hard time fitting into jeans that were roomy a month ago. guess I'm bloated as all get out too.

Haven't really been working out much. Both hubby and I are too paranoid with the miscarriages. I stopped using the elliptical but I do go on walks when I can muster the energy. Seems like all I do anymore is nap on the couch while watching TV and stay in bed for long periods of time. Of course I'm also not sleeping through the night and I'm lucky if I get 2 hours in a row of solid sleep. I'm either waking up because I have to pee, I'm nauseous, my boobs got squashed cause I rolled over, my husband is squashing me in his sleep, or on the rare occasion when the cats are let in the room one of them steps on my stomach.
  • cwagy
    cwagy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just curious-
    Do you guys eat feta while pregnant? My doctor didn't mention cheeses this time. I know I can't eat danish blue cheese, brie, camembert, and I think goat cheese was also on that list, right?

I have always heard that you shouldn't eat soft cheeses, including feta. However, this is not true! You can eat any cheese that is pasteurized. In other words, no raw cheeses. Just read the ingredients and if the cheese is made with pasteurized milk, then it's fine. I have to say, almost all cheeses are made with pasteurized milk and are therefore safe to eat. I even eat brie and goat cheese.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    *bump* I want to lurk with you fabulous and fit preggo ladies! sending happy thoughts to all of you and your precious babies!
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Asheville was awesome like always:0) Our only big issue was the first night we brought our air mattress and pump but then the pump wasn't working. So we found an outlet to plug it in but it still didn't work. The campground has a curfew of 10pm where you can't drive in our out of the campground so we were stuck sleeping in the car. It sucked because I could not at all sleep on my sides because it put way too much pressure on my belly. So I slept reclined in my chair. It was not the best sleep but I think it was better than sleeping on the ground. The next day we went to BELE CHER a music and street festival. We walked about 8 miles and by the end of the day I was exhausted. I kept getting a cramp under my right boob. I am also showing enough that strangers where asking me when I am due:0)

Hope all of you had a great weekend too. Hubby's calling me to come watch a movie with him:0)

~Nichole
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone and welcome to all the new faces. Heather has done a great job at establishing this group and I've found it to be a really nice group of supportive women!

Happy to see some new faces of runners :-) Always check with your doctor for your specific needs, but my doctor has green-lighted running for me since it's something I've been doing for many years. I really keep thinking each run might be my last, but find the next one gets easier again, so needless to say got in three miles after work today. I've really started to feel my ligaments stretching in the pelvic area so I was a wee bit sore when I first got home, but seem to be feeling fine now. My advice is just to listen to your body - it will tell you if you are doing too much - just make sure to listen!

Nichole, happy to hear you had a great weekend in Asheville. Sucks about having to sleep in the car!

Sabrinafaith, yes, I've eaten lots of soft cheese since pregnant! A good majority of cheeses sold in the U.S. are pasteurized and as long as you can confirm that it is made of pasteurized cheese it safe. And cheese is great protein source and a good way to get in extra calories if you are having trouble reaching your goals.

Midnightdaydream, I am not a doctor so I would recommend that you discuss your workout concerns with your practitioner. I can tell you from my experience that my doctor said my running and activities would not be the cause of a miscarriage and she has encouraged and supported my exercise level during my pregnancy. I've read lots of research that supports exercise throughout pregnancy both as a benefit to the mother and the baby. I think Heather posted something last month that talked about active moms having an average of two hours less labor - that's all the motivation I need at this point! I remember how stressful the early weeks were - between the fear of losing the baby and the exhaustion it can be hard to stay motivated. Good luck to you! By the way - where are you stationed in Alaska?

Heather, I've been trying to think of my favorite dinner and I think I have too many likes to settle on just one favorite! I have been craving nothing but vegetables and fruit lately. Made a Portabello Philly Cheese Steak for dinner tonight - got the recipe from myfitnesspal a couple years ago. It's basically sauteed onion, bell pepper and mushrooms with a thin slice of provolone cheese over a whole grain bun - yummy and very healthy. I've also eaten a lot of tomatoes and grilled corn lately. Sounds like the nursery is on it's way for you. Ours is just about complete - need to hang the pictures on the walls and we are ready for our bambino's arrival. Exciting to be into the double digits! I'm down to the final month - yikes!

Hope everyone is doing well and have a great week of workouts and healthy eating.

Holly
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Midnightdaydream, I am not a doctor so I would recommend that you discuss your workout concerns with your practitioner. I can tell you from my experience that my doctor said my running and activities would not be the cause of a miscarriage and she has encouraged and supported my exercise level during my pregnancy. I've read lots of research that supports exercise throughout pregnancy both as a benefit to the mother and the baby. I think Heather posted something last month that talked about active moms having an average of two hours less labor - that's all the motivation I need at this point! I remember how stressful the early weeks were - between the fear of losing the baby and the exhaustion it can be hard to stay motivated. Good luck to you! By the way - where are you stationed in Alaska?

I know exercise is ok in pregnancy. But I have been cautioned to not overdo anything and that my 4 mile walks were enough for me for right now. The miscarriages I had came right after excessive amounts of travel (traveling x-country a few times in a very short amount of time to see both sides of family while on leave) and they think that with me being overweight for both it was just too much stress for my body to handle. (especially considering my weight was actually keeping me from ovulating the last 3 years). Once I get through the first trimester I do plan on easing back into the elliptical, I kinda miss it. I had hoped to be a lot skinnier than I currently am before getting pregnant again, but this was a complete surprise.

And we are actually stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson right outside of Anchorage.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump, lurking in hopes to join you girls soon!
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Oh Ashley I can't wait until you join! :) We will be here waiting patiently for you!

Midnitedaydream That is where I grew up! Small world. :) . Anchorage is my old stomping grounds. I was an Air Force brat now married to a pilot in the Army....guess I couldn't get away from it. lol

Holly that cheese steak sounds super yummy! Might have to try that one out! I'm all about fruits and veggies too these days. Must be the time of year coupled with the fact we are preggers. You should post pics of the nursery when you are done! I plan on doing that. The painters come on Friday and then the nursery will be on its way! I'm super excited to see her room transform! I can't believe you are in the home stretch! I'm excited for you! Have you done any birthing classes or anything? I bet you will run up to the day you deliver. What a rockstar!

Nichole I hear ya on troubles sleeping while away from home! Sucks you had to sleep in the car. But it sounds like you had a blast the rest of your trip! I've just now had people comment on the baby/pregnancy...I think it is kinda cool too. :) We need a baby bump pic from you girl!

Just a few more days until hubby leaves again. I'm okay with him leaving. Three weeks is a short trip. As long as he is back by the 26th for our 3D ultrasound I will be fine. :)

I'm starting to feel some heavy/tugging sensations on my lower abdomen when I workout. I think it might be time for the belt to be worn...I'm also feeling a tugging sore feeling on my sternum, anyone experience this? I've heard from one other lady I know who said she felt like she was ripping at the sternum cause she carried so high. I don't like the sound of anything feeling like it is "ripping" on my body! lol

Hope you all are having a healthy and fit Tuesday!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I ate a good breakfast this morning (oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and almond milk) and 2 hours later I'm hungry again. Sheesh!
    I'm feeling pretty bloated and have gained a couple pounds since putting my calories to maintenance. Hopefully just some water. :-/ My boobs already feel a little bigger and have been sore from the beginning. I have implants so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

The hub and I are going to Bimmerfest in Aberdeen, MD on Saturday. He's such a car nerd. lol Hopefully it doesn't rain and it's not too awful hot.

Heather, I'll call Tricare and check with them. My friend just had a baby 2 weeks ago and she said she checked with them, but I'll see if I can find out anything different.