Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-August 2011

Options

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    khrys congrats on the happy ultrasound results!

Pam lurk away! Can't wait for you to join us! :)

Midnitedaydream congrats on the good results as well! Cutmd is right...once you hear a heartbeat, the chance of m/c goes down dramatically!

cutmd in the beginning you don't need to add any calories so maintenance plus maybe a little extra when you workout will probably do great for you. As far as 150 bpm with your heartrate...was just wondering if your doc had told you that? The latest (and by latest I mean the past decade) findings have shown that the old school thinking of not raising your heart rate over 140 doesn't apply. As long as you aren't out of breath then your baby is getting the oxygen they need. When I hike I get my heart rate into the 160s, but as long as I can carry on a conversation it is okay. Here is an awesome article that outlines the guidelines:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/367508-heart-rate-zones-for-exercise-for-pregnant-women/

Also, the breaking out is the increase in hormones. It doesn't have anything to do with the sugar you are eating. :) I broke out the first couple weeks I was pregnant, but my skin has been clearer than it ever has been in my entire life now! It is awesome!

Rayna how'd the yoga video go last night?

Today is supposed to be cooler with a heat index of "only" 109*F today....what a joke. I'm hot and so tired of this heat! I want to be outside!!! I want to take my dog for long hikes without having to worry about getting heat stroke! Oh well...summer is ALMOST over....right?!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I ate a good breakfast this morning (oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and almond milk) and 2 hours later I'm hungry again. Sheesh!
    I'm feeling pretty bloated and have gained a couple pounds since putting my calories to maintenance. Hopefully just some water. :-/ My boobs already feel a little bigger and have been sore from the beginning. I have implants so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

The hub and I are going to Bimmerfest in Aberdeen, MD on Saturday. He's such a car nerd. lol Hopefully it doesn't rain and it's not too awful hot.

Heather, I'll call Tricare and check with them. My friend just had a baby 2 weeks ago and she said she checked with them, but I'll see if I can find out anything different.

Hey chica! You might just be going through a growth spurt (well the baby) which makes me hungrier for a couple days. You also might try eating a little more protein with your breakfast. I get the Weight Control oatmeal with added protein and also eat yogurt along with it. I add 1/2oz of almonds as well (with cinnamon). Your breakfast is really carb heavy...which isn't bad but tends to leave us hungry sooner than if we make sure to eat some good protein with it! And glad you are calling Tricare. Sometimes we hear things through the grapevine that end up not being the case. I hope this happens with you! :)

Yeah, I know it's a lot of carbs and not much protein on my plate at breakfast. I'm trying to change that. It's been that way for a while now (even before being preg) and I usually stayed full until 3-3.5hrs later when I'd have my mid-morning snack. On Saturday I had some farina and a nice omelet and stayed full for like 5 hours so I definitely need to up my morning protein. I think this week the baby doubles in size (pea size to blueberry size) so maybe that has a little to do with the extra hunger, but it's probably mostly due to my breakfast.
    Carbs seem to be what I want most of lately. lol I had wayyyy too many yesterday. :( I reallly wanted some mac & cheese last night (definitely not normal for me!!), but I only started wanting it once I saw a commercial for it. lol I have some quinoa elbow noodles that I'm going to try and make somewhat healthy mac & cheese this weekend. I'm not sure what cheese I want to use that will melt well. We'll see. The craving will probably be gone by then anyways. lol I really wanted a hot dog the other day (again not normal for me) because of a stupid Sonic commercial. We don't even have Sonic around here! lol
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, good to see everyone doing well. I'll have a regular checkup appointment this Friday, and first trimester screening next Wed. This would be my first time doing the screening (last pregnancy I didn't), a bit nervous. Anyone else has done it or is going to have the screening?

Today's weather is much cooler, I've done my strength training this morning, and hoping for a bike ride outside around noon. Feeling much better to get back to my workout this week.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Kristy you sound just like me in the first trimester! lol! Well even a little bit now! I crave carbs and especially crave stuff that is so not normal for me (like mac n cheese, raviolis, and corndogs). I will admit I've given in and had a corndog for the first time in 15 years! It was soooo good...yet soooo gross! Getting more protein in gets easier after the weird food aversions and cravings go away. I still have a hard time eating scrambled eggs...I just eat them every other morning now. It will get easier.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Cutmd I totally hear you on the acne, I have had it REALLY bad for my 11 weeks so far :( hopefully it goes away soon!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just really want to recommend this video to everyone! I tried it for the first time last night & I really enjoyed it. It's not a super intense workout or anything but something that will help with strength, balance, flexibility etc. It's called Element Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga :flowerforyou:

http://www.amazon.ca/Element-Prenatal-Postnatal-Elena-Brower/dp/B002EWD0BS
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    heather-
    I found a great recipe on myrecipes.com for smoked gouda mac and cheese. I made it on Monday and it was AMAZING. Its a cooking light recipe and calls for regular macaroni, but I actually made it with whole wheat pasta instead and it was really amazing. I also used arnold light whole wheat bread to make bread crumbs. I think it was less than 350 cals per serving in the end, with about 20 or so grams protein.

ps- my husband couldn't even tell that i used whole wheat anything (he hates whole wheat) and he had 2 helpings!!!!
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    Oh man!! A corndog sounds delicious!! haha!! I've been wanting to try the new pancetta filled ravioli at Olive Garden, but I'm not letting myself since it probably has like 5000mg sodium. lol

Ice cream has always been my thing, but I'm surprised I haven't really craved any yet. I do want to find a good frozen yogurt shop though. There are a couple in Oklahoma that I ADORE!! I made a Paula Deen carrot cake this weekend, but made a few changes to reduce fat and calorie content. I've had a couple small pieces, but I don't really want anymore. Normally dessert is something I can eat until I'm sick, but it's just not that appealing lately. Last night my husband had a piece of cake after dinner and I had watermelon, which is good of course, but just not normal for me.

I'm going to try to make it to the gym today. I started feeling pretty queasy yesterday just as I was leaving work so I went straight home and laid on the couch with a book and fell asleep. lol
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    heather-
    I found a great recipe on myrecipes.com for smoked gouda mac and cheese. I made it on Monday and it was AMAZING. Its a cooking light recipe and calls for regular macaroni, but I actually made it with whole wheat pasta instead and it was really amazing. I also used arnold light whole wheat bread to make bread crumbs. I think it was less than 350 cals per serving in the end, with about 20 or so grams protein.

ps- my husband couldn't even tell that i used whole wheat anything (he hates whole wheat) and he had 2 helpings!!!!

Sabrina!!! You're an ANGEL!! That sounds good and I like gouda so that's probably the kind of cheese I'll use to make mine this weekend!! :) Thank you thank you thank you!!!
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    Looks like we've got a much bigger group, exciting to see it grow!
    THings are going well over here, finally starting to show, at least my husband and I can see it! I weighed in this morning and after losing .7 lbs last week, I am up 1.8 lbs, this week, bringing my total to about 4 lbs up. Totally happy with that, but I am still hovering around 1700-2000 calories. Wish I could bump it up and indulge. All I can think about is eating massive amounts of chocolate.

Actually, all I ever think about is food, and I am seriously considering stopping logging. I feel like this may be the last time I can be worry free for a while, and I hate to waste every spare minute logging. I only gained 30 lbs with each of my previous pregnancies and I didn't even pay attention to what I was eating. I just am feeling a little frustrated, because I know I will really need to crack down in February after this baby is born. Should I be cracked down the whole time? I had lost 24 lbs prior to getting pregnant and have a normal BMI, what do you all think? Should I give myself a break? Still planning to exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy. Just nervous about dropping the control I have on MFP.

Thanks for your imput!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I have been off for awhile! I don't have time to review the posts in the past and I am sorry-I wish I did so I could keep up w/ all of you!!!

CWAGY--I saw that you said in July that you feel like you gained too much and wish you did better early on...I was feeling the same way, there were a few weeks I was so ill I couldn't do anything physical and there were weeks where I was physical but ate so much junk food! It is okay though!!! Pregnancy flies by doesn't it!?!?

I am 33 weeks, measuring at 35 weeks. Up 30 pounds. My back is starting to hurt, I am all belly and it is far out there, people ask when I am due and i say September, they are like 'ooohhhh'. As anyone had to use a support belt? I have had that request by my doctor, just curious:)
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

Heather, you are so lucky with the acne. I have never really had acne but since being pregnant I have at least 1 or 2 pimples everyday. It's not horrible but still annoying. I know it could be worse.

You guys are all making me hungry with this talk of corn dogs and mac and cheese, haha.

My baby bump is so weird right now. Some days it looks big and other days it looks smaller. I guess it just depends on where baby girl is.

I went to Zumba today and I must say I can still keep up with the class. I also love to realize that I am kicking non pregnant class goers butt, haha. Some of them look at me like I am crazy which just makes me smile:0)

Well I gotta get some work done. Wish I could take a nap instead.

Have a great day!!!

~Nichole
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ladies! Wow - Has this forum ever taken off. Can't thank Heather enough for starting it up. I look forward to coming here and catching up (even when I don't post) in my down time.

princesspurple - We sound like we're having very similar pregnancies. I'm also 33 weeks (and measuring 35) and up 30 pounds. For how large my belly is (I get those same comments re the Sept. birth) I'm quite thrilled with how the rest of me is holding it's own. A bit softer/rounder in areas but nothing that makes me cringe (yet). I have never used the support belt, but my friends that have said it really helped.

Holly - Great to see a picture! Fabulous bump!! Glad baby's nursery is coming along, too. I don't know about you, but I'm glad for the cooler summer! I do miss the perma-sun but I'm glad for lower temperatures (especially in the evening).

Down to my last two blocks of work. I'm done August 18th! My hubby's on holidays and we're spending a couple of weeks in Point Roberts, WA at our trailer (with me hopefully spending the the warm days floating in the ocean).

Tomorrow I go to Women's Hospital to speak with the OB about VBAC. She'll give me a percentage based on how previous c-section was done and healed and how much time in between babies (16.5 months). Fingers crossed she feels it's doable. I can't imagine the recovery time post-surgery with my very busy toddler!

Keep up the great work, Ladies!
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I think I just spent most of my day trying to catch up on all the posts :-)

For most of my pregnancy I've craved sweets, birthday cake mostly. This past weekend I was at a birthday party and definitely had a cake overdose! I felt super guilty afterwards, and felt like my little man was break dancing in my belly, but the craving is gone LOL. Other than cake I've mostly wanted fajitas, or anything grilled.

I am ordering a support belt today. For a while we thought I had an inguinal hernia, but turns out it's a huge gross varicose vein. I haven't heard of anyone else that I know to ever have this, but googled it and found it to be very common. It's quite painful and pretty darn ugly! Forces me to sit down more often. Hopefully the support belt will relieve some of that pressure.

I'm up 19 pounds and will be 29 weeks tomorrow. Although I think I'm on target with weight gain, I have definitley lost muscle tone. I just hope after not working out for so long it won't be hard to get back into normal workouts after I deliver. Although I'm not working out, I have 3 kids that keep me constantly going. The past few weeks the steps at work have been killer.

Hope everyone's having a great week!
  • b4bena
    b4bena Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey Ladies, Congrats you all!
    Normally I get nauseous with anything sweet. Though today I just had a slice of veggie pizza and some soup for lunch and my tummy doesn't like it.
    I am not tracking much but I try to take 30-45 mins walk and mostly eat vegetarian. may be next week I will add back some chicken for protein.
    cant wait for my first appointment :)
    -Bena
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was still commenting on the July one. Anyway, anyone know if it's okay to eat Tuna Fish?? I all of a sudden have a weird craving but have heard yes and no. Don't recall eating it at all in my first pregnancy, but I'm curious. I also have a doctor appointment tomorrow, can't wait to hear the heartbeat.....Also plan on talkin to my doctor about calorie intake. I rarely eat over 1000 calories in a day......but I've still gained 6lbs so far. I'm 14 wks along on Sat. I think I'm on target. I hope anyway. :)
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's ok to have 6oz of Chunk Light Tuna once a week. I've had it a couple of times in a homemade tuna salad sandwich.
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    Thanks Nkster781. Maybe I will have a sandwich for lunch then..... :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My OB told me to eat tuna only once a month. I've actually decided to avoid it all together. She also told me to eat fish only twice a week, which at this point isn't a big deal bc fish is one of my food aversions.
  • mistigoodwin
    Options
    Thanks Sabrina, I actually never eat fish at all, just had a sudden craving for a tuna fish sandwich. Hopefully if I eat one sandwich today, it will fulfill my craving for good. Thanks for the info. I need to talk to my doctor about eating the right foods and eating enough. Thanks again.