50+ with 50+ To Lose Group

Options

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Jhamby,
    Where I live, summer lasts well into October. Then it is usually the driest and hottest month and the biggerst danger of forest fires, so you can still make it by the end of summer!
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Hazel and this sounds like a great group. I've only been on MFP for 10 days but so far I love it!
    I'm 52 and have about 55 lbs to lose. Last year I lost 50 lbs doing weight watchers but hit a plateau and quit. Actually I learned about MFP on a weight watchers message board.
    My biggest obstacle is food, exercise comes easy to me and I love the way it makes me feel. I'm usually in the gym 5-6 times a week. I've been taking Zumba classes for about a year and now I'm hooked on "step" classes. Unfortunately strength training is an area I need improvement in.
    My goals for August are:
    1. To record my food (every bite, lick &nibble )
    2. do some form of strength training 3x a week
    3. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily
    4. Eat 1 vegetarian meal (dinner) per week + 1 fish meal

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Hi SeattleGrl,

I think you are the third person to represent Seattle here.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi CRody!

I'm just North of Seattle, in Edmonds. You're in the Bay area? I was just there a couple of weeks ago on business, I need to take my husband for a pleasure trip someday, I love SF!
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to all the newcomers :smile: - Chuck lucky you going to Alaska, one of the trips me and hubby plan on doing once all the kids are gone, someday.

KeriA and gwen you guys are so motivating and welcome to everyone - a big thanks to both of you!!!

Today was the first day I really didn't feel like walking..... I have been walking pretty much non stop daily for the last two months. I stil walked my normal 3 mile route but it was not enjoyable.... just wanted to get it over. Maybe I just need to give my body a day off.... I think it would help alot.

Besides that gearing for a busy weekend, my father in laws 70 birthday party, my nieces baptism, and my two boys start hockey camp on Saturday too! Hopefully I can stay on track with so much on the go.

Have a great evening everyone.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Welcome Hazel, I live about as close to Edmonds as you can get and still live in Seattle. I will be interested in hearing how adding in the strength training in goes. When things settle down I think I will start small with 1 day and go from there. My son is a pescatarian who doesn't like alot of fish so we eat vegerarian quite a bit mostly in the weekdays.

Sounds like some busy weekends coming up. dfeledichuk I hope yours is fun and not just busy. I think I am going to start tomorrow with my Zumba class so I can afford the samores. Oops Chuck is right no samores. I even have to bring the Marshmellows but fortunately they aren't my downfall. But I am surprised too you didn't enjoy your walk.

Thanks Chuck for filling us in about your story. I am hoping to get fit just before having any major health problems. I don't think I could have waited a moment longer. You are making alot of progress. You deserve your cruise.

I am really enjoying getting to know everyone.

Keri
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    MMMMKKKKKK!!! Count me in also. I am just now 59. YIKES!!...I have a good 50 to lose, but being short every pound shows.

I live down south of Carrie and Gwen in Longview.

I have been on and off MFP for over 2 years. Unfortunately, last summer I fell off my horse and broke my shoulder, sat around for a year and gained back all the weight I lost previously, about 40lbs. ARGHH...

My current goals are: Stay under my 1200 calories and check in here every day;

At least one hour of exercise (I have an elliptical) for
    the next month and then add some additional things, not sure
    what yet;

DRINK THE WATER!!!!! One Diet Coke per day;

Have some faith in myself.

So, I am very glad to see a group I fit into. Thanks for being here.
  • jhamby5579
    jhamby5579 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok so where u live summer ends in October that will be my new goal to be under 200 by end of October, Love it there is hope!!! Thanks for motivation!!!!
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Good am everyone. Since I am retired now, I have slowly gotten rid of all the structure in my life...YAY!! I am totally free to do whatever I want every day. HOWEVER, for some reason I am now making little moves to put some routine back in may days. Feed horse at 9:00....Exercise at 11:00...Mow lawn on Wednesdays (two hour job)... etc..etc...so, suffice it to say, I have come to the conclusion I do need SOME structure someplace along the line. Interesting.

Have a good day everyone.!!!!!!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Goals:
    1. To walk 30 minutes, four times a week (Sun., Tue., Thu., Sat.), 500 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, three time a week (Mon., Wed., Fri.), 360 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet, 1800+- calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, daily.
    4. To get off my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol meds by August 15, 2012.

Monthly Progress:
    1. 134 total min of 500 in 4/7 days this week.
    2. Resistance Training: Today – 2/3 days this week.
    3. Yesterday:
    1968 calories – exceeded minimum by 168.
    2202mg Sodium – exceeded minimum by 202.
    77 g Fat – exceeded minimum by 17.
    4. 375 days to meet goal.

Today – Resistance Training: 3 Sets/15 Reps/7 exercises, 34 min. 11sec., 237 calories burned (Polar F11). I won’t meet this goal this week since I started on Wednesday.

Sometimes you just have to say WTH. Last night, I had no desire to cook so ordered out, Italian sausage fettuccini and garlic bread. Shot the he!! out of the goal for the day. First time I’ve had pasta in 3 or 4 months, and my blood sugar this morning showed it – 162. Back on the horse today!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Elfie,
    Welcome! Retirement is great. I’ve been retired for 11 years now and I don’t do anything structured, but don’t have enough time to do it. The Bride keeps me somewhat structured. She still works (until December), leaves the house at 6:30 in the morning and doesn’t get home until 5:30 in the evening, so I am Mr. Mom and do the shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning and the yard (we’ll split it when she retires) and have a glass of wine ready for her when she gets home.. I can’t wait until she retires so we can take more short trips up and down the coast (left coast) for a few days. Love the Victorian B&B’s. We’ll also have more time to take longer trips to the National Parks and the East Coast.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am not retired but unemployed and it has never been busier. Yes you need to find a few things to structure life. Once a week I sleep in just a bit. Sleep is good for weight loss. Oh yes Chuck, once in awhile I think you need to eat some things you have been staying a way from. OK so this is my last post till either Sunday or Monday. I might have to drive my daughter home and go back to camp on Sunday. She wants to go to work Monday. Go figure. Happy weekend all of you.
    Keri
  • CRody44
    Options
    Keri,
    Have fun and be safe.
  • grannysquare1
    Options
    Hello to everyone and welcome to the new members. I'm Nancy and a newbie too and just learning my way around this site. I just figured out how to locate this group again. LOL

I think I'm the granny of the group, soon to be 64. I live a small town a little South of St. Louis. I'm married with two sons and five granddaughters. We're animal lovers and currently have six dogs and five cats. They were all strays or needed homes. The vet loves us.

I'm retired and love crafting. Recently I took up knitting,but I also paint, and do paper crafts. Unfortunately most all my hobbies don't give much exercise. I get a little from gardening, but that's about it. Soon as the doc gives me the okay to exercise again, heart problem, I'm going to try to find some sort of activity that I enjoy. I certainly have enough dogs to walk.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Hi Nancy-grannysq,

I’m 66 and a Grampa of 2 boys, ages two and three. If everything goes right, I will be a Grampa again around the first of April. I have two daughters, ages 37 and 34, and a son, age 23, and two American Cocker Spaniels. We have taken in one stray, my son, when he lost his job due to cutbacks at work a little over a year ago. He was rehired but likes it at home. He’s a good kid so he can stay.

I do woodworking, both furniture and lathe work, making bowels, vases, pens, wine bottle stoppers, etc. Right now, I’m building a chicken coop and run for #2 daughter. I also love to cook, fish, kayak and travel with The Bride.

I just started exercising due to health problems, considering the other option was dying (my cardiologist wasn’t so blunt, but I got her drift). When I walk the dogs with the wife on the weekends, it turns out to be a stroll because the dogs slow us down and I am the keeper of the poop bags. On weekdays, I end up walking as fast as my fat little legs will allow, although I am getting more fit and gaining endurance, and, earlier this week, I found myself walking at such a pace that my heart rate was up to 145 beats per minute. I didn’t figure out until I got home that 145PBM was 95% of my maximum heart rate, probably not to healthy at my age, weight and condition.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Since I’m retired, I want to feel like it, so I’m retired from Monday through Thursday and do whatever I want, Friday is cleaning and laundry day, and the weekend is with the family. Just for the fun of it, I wore my HRM and pedometer today doing the chores. I had about 3000 steps, and in doing the dusting, vacuuming, cleaning the wood floors, bathrooms, and three loads of laundry, I burned 687 calories in about 2 1/2 hours. Have any of you done this to see how many calories you burn?

I also surprised myself that it only took 2 ½ hours. I worked continuously from start to finish instead of procrastinating all day like I usually do. Don’t tell my wife!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Oh broken shoulder must have been painful, we have two quarter horses worse I have gotten is bit when one was still a foal.
    MMMMKKKKKK!!! Count me in also. I am just now 59. YIKES!!...I have a good 50 to lose, but being short every pound shows.

I live down south of Carrie and Gwen in Longview.

I have been on and off MFP for over 2 years. Unfortunately, last summer I fell off my horse and broke my shoulder, sat around for a year and gained back all the weight I lost previously, about 40lbs. ARGHH...

My current goals are: Stay under my 1200 calories and check in here every day;

At least one hour of exercise (I have an elliptical) for
    the next month and then add some additional things, not sure
    what yet;

DRINK THE WATER!!!!! One Diet Coke per day;

Have some faith in myself.

So, I am very glad to see a group I fit into. Thanks for being here.
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Where I live we are lucky if we have summer into September, I think I might be the only Canadian in this group so far. Am hoping to get as much walking as I can in this month, because there is no guarantee I won't be seeing snow in September we did last year:) Then I am going to have to start going to the gym, I am not a big gym fan.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Goals:
    1. To walk 30 minutes, four times a week (Sun., Tue., Thu., Sat.), 500 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, three time a week (Mon., Wed., Fri.), 360 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet, 1800+- calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, daily.
    4. To get off my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol meds by August 15, 2012.

Progress:
    1. 196 total min of 500 in 5/7 days this week. Weekly goal met.
    2. Resistance Training: Today – 2/3 days this week. Weekly goal not met, started late.
    3. Yesterday:
    1680 calories – Daily goal met; weekly, met goal 1 of 6 days.
    386mg Sodium – Daily goal met; weekly, met goal 5 of 6 days
    31 g Fat – Daily goal met; weekly, met goal 5 of 6 days.
    4. 374 days to meet goal.

Today, we got in 62 minutes of farmer’s market and mall walking. We are leaving Tuesday on our cruise to Alaska so we got our last minute shopping done. I had to buy all new clothes since I’ve shrunk from 44 to 42” in Levi’s, slacks, and shorts, and from XXL to large in shirts. Luckily, my wedding suite from 15 years ago fits again.
  • grannysquare1
    Options

I just started exercising due to health problems, considering the other option was dying (my cardiologist wasn’t so blunt, but I got her drift). When I walk the dogs with the wife on the weekends, it turns out to be a stroll because the dogs slow us down and I am the keeper of the poop bags. On weekdays, I end up walking as fast as my fat little legs will allow, although I am getting more fit and gaining endurance, and, earlier this week, I found myself walking at such a pace that my heart rate was up to 145 beats per minute. I didn’t figure out until I got home that 145PBM was 95% of my maximum heart rate, probably not to healthy at my age, weight and condition.

Ah, yes. I've had the same kick in the pants. Nothing gets your attention like a do-it-or-die talk. I have more tests next week. I'm hoping I get released to start some exercise. Strange, but when I could exercise, I didn't want to. Now that I can't, I really, really want to.