50+ with 50+ To Lose Group

Options

Replies

• swimmer54
    swimmer54 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Mary and new to the group. I'll write a little about myself later, but wanted to comment on the sodium challenge I am encountering. Since beginning to log my food here and tracking the sodium content I am finding out that several favorite foods which I previously considered "healthy" are laden with salt. Because I didn't keep an eye on it, my sodium intake today was over 4300! ouch. I just never had any perspective or awareness about sodium before. Since I'm not one to sit around eating potato chips I didn't think I had anything to worry about.

My blood pressure runs high even with a lot of exercise. I think this could be why so I want to keep my sodium under 2500 mg.
  • swimmer54
    Options
    I weighed today after last weighing 3 days ago. My weight was exactly the same which was a relief to me. Two days ago I tried eating my very significant calories burned in exercise and wasn't sure how it would turn out. MFP gives me between 1300 and 1400 calories for my swims which last between 1.5 and 2 hours. After swimming I have been exhausted, taking at least a day to recover. I was thinking that it was due to my age, but now I think it's probably just from being depleted, either of food or electrolytes. I'm trying to figure that out.

If anyone has experience dealing with total exhaustion after exercise, please let me know.
  • momb4
    momb4 Posts: 3
    Options
    HI I am momb4(Lynne) I just started today. I turned 50 in May and I am having a hard time losing I can use all the support I can get. I have about 80 lbs to lose and my biggest challenge is exercising.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    SeattleGirl should be SeattleGrl

I went to friend SeattleGirl and her profile pic didn't look a thing like her post. :ohwell:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    @dfeledichuk Thanks, I hope to be as fit as that "little old lady" one day! I hope to be as little too!

@swimmer54 lots of people find keeping the sodium low helps them lose. I have days periodically that I feel very tired and realized I do need a rest day now and then. Sometimes I just do an easier going exercise. Some days I am hungrier than others. It is funny that I am not hungry after my run until a while after. I know I should have protein after running.

@momb4 welcome to the group and MFP. Looks like you came to the right place. Exercise sometimes is hard to get into but after you commit to it you start to get hooked on its many rewards. Sometimes now when I start to get ready to go my mind and body get really excited. It sort of feels like when a dog realizes you are going to take it for a walk. A little moment of joy. So just try it for a while and it will get easier and easier to do.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Thanks Gwen, You are right. I will correct that, sorry.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hi All
    here is the list of those who have joined our group so far

dfeledichuk
    _gwen
    grannysquare1 (Nancy)
    salliebeige
    meabonl
    jimswife1
    GreenHydrangea
    CRody (Chuck)
    KeriA (Keri)
    elfie9863
    SeattleGrl (Hazel)
    jhamby
    swimmer54
    momb4 (Lynne)
    I think this is a great start and more are welcome

I made some additions and corrections.

Here is the current list of members, let me know if I missed anyone.
    added momb4 (Lynne and corrected SeattleGrl (Hazel)
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    HI I am momb4(Lynne) I just started today. I turned 50 in May and I am having a hard time losing I can use all the support I can get. I have about 80 lbs to lose and my biggest challenge is exercising.

Like KeriiA said it's hard at first, but once you get into a routine and your body gets used to it, it becomes easier. For me I didn't think going to the gym or starting up running was something I could commit to long term, I am trying to be realistic both on food intake and exercise to do things that will be changes that can permanently be sustained. I have lost and regained this weight enough times that I don't want to yo-yo anymore. So I walk, something I know I can still do when I am in my 60s 70s and 80s. That is my philosophy anyways, choose something that is realistic, sustainable and commit to it.
  • _gwen
    Options
    August pics posted on my profile - 21 lb cumulative loss
  • dfeledichuk
    Options

You look terrific you can really see your progress!!! Good for you.
  • KeriA
    Options

Love to see that progress. How inspiring! Lookin' good. Thanks for sharing, Gwen.

Keri
  • Bisbeegal
    Bisbeegal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bisbeegal and new to the group. I fit the profile; I'm over 50 and need to lose that much. I've been on MFP since January, and I've lost 21 pounds. However, after months of steady loss, I've been gaining and losing the same five pounds all summer, but I feel that the fear of returning to my pre-MFP weight keeps from totally backsliding. I have some very supportive friends; however, the number seems to be decreasing as people drop out. I need supportive friends that log in daily, keep open food diaries, etc. I'm hoping that joining this group might help me, not only through my current slump, but also in terms of help and support.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Great job Gwen, thanks for posting the pics...very motivating!
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Bisbeegal, welcome!
    I feel your pain about gaining and losing the same 5 Lbs, I've been on that rollercoaster the past 4 months. I just recently found MFP so I'm excited to hopefully get off the rollercoaster and start losing again. Nice meeting you, have a fabulous day!
  • _gwen
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos. I can feel I'm slowly 'deflating'. I know seeing other peoples progress photos is motivating for me.

Last night I ran across some old photos when I weighed 167 lbs about 9 years ago. I'll probably keep my same proportion, I seem to lose my weight evenly.
  • swimmer54
    Options
    Gwen, your progress shows. You look great!
  • KeriA
    Options
    Welcome Bisbeegal to our group. I understand about stalling this summer after making progress. I recommend the sites I have included in my blog about plateaus. I learned alot after reading them. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KeriA/view/plateaus-revisited-132685 Have you lost 10% of your original weight? That is typically when we can experience a plateau. Regardless I am glad you have joined us and hope we all can start/continue to meet out goals. I have started to lose some but it is going really slow.
  • _gwen
    Options
    Hi 50's,

Hope your Friday is starting out well.

I've got my new weight bench assembled and I'll be working on my beginning weight lifting workouts to mix in with my cardio.

Gwen
  • KeriA
    Options
    Gwen that is wonderful. It is just what I need to do. Maybe next week. Let us know how it goes.

Hope all have a great weekend. I have been struggling to get all my water in this week. Maybe today. I have been having trouble with my shoulder since coming back from camping I thought it was just from sleeping on a cot and had gone away but apparently not. Had to dance one handed in Zumba today.
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Hope everyone has a good weekend too... good luck with the weights Gwen! I am going to try to get in some tennis this weekend I have not played tennis since before I had kids... many years ago, but I walk by a court everyday it I am wanting to get out and play some.