50+ with 50+ To Lose Group

Options

Replies

• jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good and productive weekend. I am on only for a minute, gotta get to bed. I work saturday and sunday in a busy critical care unit, so my weekends are spent sleeping and working.

I do get to gym on saturday, but won't go back again until tues, unless I have a really good night tonight and my patients take it easy on me, otherwise mondays are spent sleeping, that is until my grandson decides Meme just has to get out of bed!

My eating has been good this weekend. I have to resort to liquid calories on the weekend, unless I get that occassional chance to sit down and actually eat. It does happen every once in a while. I pack a bunch of food, then eat what I can.

1200 calories, thats my goal for this week. Well, its off to bed for me. Yes, thoughts are getting random and I am hearing call lights.

Looking forward to the new week with all of my new friends. Be blessed
  • grannysquare1
    Options
    jimswife1, I get exhausted just thinking about your schedule. Whew. I hope you get that planned rest.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Jumswife1,

Please don't get so busy careing for others that you can't care for yourself! If something happens to you, then everyone suffers. I love what you all do, having spent a few days in Emergency and the Cardiec Unit last month. Thank you!!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Goals:
    1. To walk 30 minutes, four times a week (Sun., Tue., Thu., Sat.), 500 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, three time a week (Mon., Wed., Fri.), 360 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet: 1800 calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, daily.
    4. To get off my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol meds by August 15, 2012.

Progress:
    1. 233 total min of 500 in 5 of 18 days this month. Daily goal met.
    2. Resistance Training: Today – 0/14 days this month. On track.
    3. Today:
    1968 calories – Daily goal exceeded; weekly: met goal 1 of 7 days.
    792mg Sodium – Daily goal met; weekly: met goal 1 of 7 days
    53g Fat – Daily goal met; weekly: met goal 1 of 7 days.
    4. 373 days to meet goal.

Casual stroll with The Bride and dogs for 36 min. 40 sec., about 1.4 miles; 264 calories burned (Polar F11)
    My official weigh in day is Sundays. I lost 2 lbs. last week, 17 pounds for the month I have been with MFP. Thanks MFP.

Am I the only one exercising or the only one posting?
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Good morning 50+ers

Spent all weekend at an artist retreat. Stayed on track, though there were some real food temptations.

I decided that next time I would plan in advance my free day. I didn't want to make a last minute change to my day to make something a 'free day' because I was tempted in the moment. Besides, on my free day I really want to make it count. :glasses:
  • CRody44
    Options
    gwen,

What is a "free day"? Free from exercise or counting calories?
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Good morning 50+ers

Spent all weekend at an artist retreat. Stayed on track, though there were some real food temptations.

I decided that next time I would plan in advance my free day. I didn't want to make a last minute change to my day to make something a 'free day' because I was tempted in the moment. Besides, on my free day I really want to make it count. :glasses:

That sounds like a lot of fun, Gwen hope you had a great time!
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    I am down 5lbs this week... but that is an anomaly for sure. Was doing lots of hiking when on vacation in the mountains, then followed up with a 4000 calorie burn challenge when I got back. I can do that for a week or so... but my body is really feeling it and needs a break now! Back to nice hour walks once a day :)
  • CRody44
    Options
    Great loss, dfeledichuk, especially for being on vacation! We’re going on vacation for two weeks and my goal is not to gain more than 5 pounds. : (
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    gwen,

What is a "free day"? Free from exercise or counting calories?

Good question! Thanks for asking.

For me, a free day means free from having a calorie ceiling. I would still count calories/log food as a record. I might learn something about what foods work for me or don't make me feel good. Exercise is ok, but not required.

I feel you can define a free day any way you want. :flowerforyou:
  • CRody44
    Options
    Goals:
    1. To walk 30 minutes, four times a week (Sun., Mon., Wed., Fri.), 500 minutes per month.
    2. To workout with resistance bands for 30 minutes, three time a week (Tue., Thu., Sat.), 360 minutes per month.
    3. To stay within my diet: 1800 calories, < 2000mg sodium, < 60g fat, daily.
    4. To get off my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol meds by August 15, 2012.

Progress:
    1. 265 total min of 500 in 6 of 18 days this month. Daily goal met.
    2. Resistance Training: 0/14 days this month. On track.
    3. Today:
    1603 calories – Daily goal met; weekly: met goal 1 of 7 days.
    2919 mg Sodium – Daily goal exceeded; weekly: met goal 1 of 7 days
    53g Fat – Daily goal met; weekly: met goal 2 of 7 days.
    4. 372 days to meet goal.

Walked with The Bride and dogs for 32 min. 20 sec., about 1.5 miles; 229 calories burned (Polar F11)
    I changed my days around, Walking Sun., Mon., Wed., and Fri., resistance training Tue., Thu. And Sat.
    We are leaving for Alaska for almost two weeks tomorrow at O’dark:30. I’ll try to post on my Xoom if it works. If not, I’ll update when I get back.
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym early this morning after dropping my son off at football. Decided to start using the hula hoop daily. I bought it about 6 months ago and let it sit, but no more. Wanted to go for 10 minutes, but 5 was all I could handle. Hopefully it will get better and better each day.

I bought a new skirt and it doesn't fit, but that is okay, it is my birthday goal. I really think I will be in this skirt by my birthday. It sounds like everyone is on target with their goals.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Wow...kudos on the hoola hoop...I can't even get it going. I tried the Wii hoola hoop many times, but had to retreat do to offensive and disturbing laughter and noises from family members...sigh...:ohwell:
  • swimmer54
    swimmer54 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group! I'm 57, have lost 32 lbs. this year and hope to lose another 85!

I have just joined MFP and my goals are to keep doing what I'm doing. That's the hard part for me, staying focused on my goal for long enough to reach it. .

1. Log food and exercise
    2. Control calories
    3 Keep sodium in check and try to balance with potassium
    4. Do whatever I need to do to stay strong and healthy so that I can continue to exercise at this level
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am back from camping and didn't gain! Welcome swimmer to our group. Logging is so important. Congrats on the loss so far too.

Chuck, have a great trip. Congrats on your loss for the week. Maybe you will be able to maintain on the trip who knows. I find more activity makes up for more food.

Yes Gwen that retreat sounds really great to me too. I am an artist and have exhibited but have had to go to work and even now can't work because I don't have any space to work. I am hoping to get back to it someday. Maybe when my son moves out in a year or two.

I have to go pick up my husband now so I will finish my post when I get back. Just couldn't wait any longer to say hi to you all and read how you were doing.
  • KeriA
    Options
    jimswife, great job making it to the Gym during a busy weekend, hope you got some rest today.

Elfie I don't think I could even do the hula hoop any longer enough to get that response.

Well today I completed Week 6 of C25K which means I "ran" for 25 minutes. I got a compliment from a women who was older but fitter and slimmer than I while running. She told me I was doing really well and she had a hard time catching up to me. I was just glad I was able to talk while running. It was so sweet of her to offer such encouragement. When I came home and told my runner son about running for 25 minutes he said let's go get those running shoes I promised you. So now I have new expertly fit running shoes and socks. Can't wait for my Thursday run. Good shoes are supposed to really help.

It was a nice camping trip and although I ate alot I had loads of exercise. I didn't drink as much as I do at home but more than I usually do camping which had its bad side in having to get up and walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I usually try to get my exercise in daylight hours.

Glad to have such a nice group of friends to get back home to and say hi!
  • KeriA
    Options
    I am down 5lbs this week... but that is an anomaly for sure. Was doing lots of hiking when on vacation in the mountains, then followed up with a 4000 calorie burn challenge when I got back. I can do that for a week or so... but my body is really feeling it and needs a break now! Back to nice hour walks once a day :)

Congratulations on your loss. I really hope you enjoy your walks this week.

Keri
  • KeriA
    Options

I just started exercising due to health problems, considering the other option was dying (my cardiologist wasn’t so blunt, but I got her drift). When I walk the dogs with the wife on the weekends, it turns out to be a stroll because the dogs slow us down and I am the keeper of the poop bags. On weekdays, I end up walking as fast as my fat little legs will allow, although I am getting more fit and gaining endurance, and, earlier this week, I found myself walking at such a pace that my heart rate was up to 145 beats per minute. I didn’t figure out until I got home that 145PBM was 95% of my maximum heart rate, probably not to healthy at my age, weight and condition.

Ah, yes. I've had the same kick in the pants. Nothing gets your attention like a do-it-or-die talk. I have more tests next week. I'm hoping I get released to start some exercise. Strange, but when I could exercise, I didn't want to. Now that I can't, I really, really want to.

Nancy hope you get your wish to get some exercise soon. I am sorry you lost us and glad you found us. At some point when our group thread gets past a certain number of pages we will start a new thread. I will post the address and since most of you are MFP friends you should see it. You can also use the search function above to the right to find us. Don't want to lose anyone.
    Keri
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hi All
    here is the list of those who have joined our group so far

dfeledichuk
    _gwen
    grannysquare1
    salliebeige
    meabonl
    jimswife1
    GreenHydrangea
    CRody (Chuck)
    KeriA (Keri)
    elfie9863
    SeattleGirl
    jhamby
    swimmer54

I think this is a great start and more are welcome

I made some additions and corrections.

Here is the current list of members, let me know if I missed anyone.
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    Congrats on the no gain during camping KeriA and what a great NSV you got from that other runner for you. A great accomplishment good for you!