50+ with 50+ To Lose Group

Options

Replies

• swimmer54
    swimmer54 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure everyone knows, strength training is so very important at this stage in life. When I had physical problems and stopped for awhile I got very, very weak. Good job Gwen.
  • swimmer54
    swimmer54 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bisbeegal, I had the same situation, lost 20 lbs and then stayed there for a long time. Only recently began to make some progress and it's why I decided to join MFP. Interesting what Keri said about plateauing after the first 10%. That is what seemed to happen to me.
  • momb4
    momb4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a terrible day today it's only been 3 days since I started and I already went back to old habits. At this rate I willbe 60+ before i lose anything.
  • momb4
    momb4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a terrible day today it's only been 3 days since I started and I already went back to old habits. At this rate I willbe 60+ before i lose anything.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone has a good weekend too... good luck with the weights Gwen! I am going to try to get in some tennis this weekend I have not played tennis since before I had kids... many years ago, but I walk by a court everyday it I am wanting to get out and play some.
    Yes, this! I think the C25K is making me more confident that I can get back into temmis. I love it. Maybe my daughter will play with me.
  • KeriA
    Options

My three rules:
    Don't give up.
    Keep logging.
    Improve each day or week.

Sorry you are feeling discouraged. I usually am under but lately keep going over. Things have been a bit taken up with family lately. Another family get together tomorrow. At least we will be swimming there. Let's both get back in the saddle.
  • KeriA
    Options
    So starting today I am going to log in daily (camping trip reset my logging).
    I am going to stay under my calorie goal even with the family get together tonight (I went to aquafit and it is a pool party but there will be pizza).
    I am going to start increasing my water each day until I get back up to 8-14 glasses (drinking my green tea now).
    I really want to have a long walk this week end so I can make my 100 miles by September 1st Challenge.

Those are my personal weekend challenges. Next week I plan to complete Week 7 of C25K.

Happy Saturday!
  • Bisbeegal
    Bisbeegal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support and advice, and Keri for the link to your blog about plateaus. I had just lost 10% of my body weight when I hit the plateau. I was losing steadily, but I could feel a kind of disconnect when it went off so fast (although it took 4 months). It almost seemed like I needed to adjust to the new weight before I lost more. To be honest, I am beyond thrilled to be 21 pounds lighter, but I have been struggling for two months now to keep it off. I've had some challenges this summer. I'm pretty social, and we entertain and/or eat at other people's homes at least three times a week, which causes some temptation. We've traveled twice in the past month, and eating out and/or snacking was sort of a disaster some days. We've also had houseguests. However, I'm going to have to learn to deal with that and stay within my calories because we're retired it's our lifestyle most of the time. However, I have a lot of faith that this group can really help me because yesterday I was sooooo close to eating an apple turnover pastery that my husband had brought home, but I didn't even want to think about logging it in with my new friends here reading my diary. LOL. Viva la MFP!
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Well I did get out and played tennis this evening. Even though my hubby kicked my butt it was a lot of fun and according to MFP I burned 991 calories. I doubt I burned that many but I sure worked up a sweat. I think I will have to go our and play again tomorrow. Hope everyone else is having a pleasant weekend!
  • KeriA
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support and advice, and Keri for the link to your blog about plateaus. I had just lost 10% of my body weight when I hit the plateau. I was losing steadily, but I could feel a kind of disconnect when it went off so fast (although it took 4 months). It almost seemed like I needed to adjust to the new weight before I lost more. To be honest, I am beyond thrilled to be 21 pounds lighter, but I have been struggling for two months now to keep it off. I've had some challenges this summer. I'm pretty social, and we entertain and/or eat at other people's homes at least three times a week, which causes some temptation. We've traveled twice in the past month, and eating out and/or snacking was sort of a disaster some days. We've also had houseguests. However, I'm going to have to learn to deal with that and stay within my calories because we're retired it's our lifestyle most of the time. However, I have a lot of faith that this group can really help me because yesterday I was sooooo close to eating an apple turnover pastery that my husband had brought home, but I didn't even want to think about logging it in with my new friends here reading my diary. LOL. Viva la MFP!

Lately because of losing my step father and birthdays we have had alot of family get togethers. They have been a bit of a challenge for me to stay under my calorie goal. Usually with exercise earlier in the day I am fine. Maybe it is because my calories goal is a bit lower now. It should settle down now.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Well I am going for a bit longer walk today with my husband to see if I can make my 100 miles by September 1st challenge. Happy Sunday all.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options

My three rules:
    Don't give up.
    Keep logging.
    Improve each day or week.

And from my profile: "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." --Harriet Beecher Stowe

I think we all run into challenges. I was having a rough time last week.

Hang in there MomB4, we are here to support each other.

What are some of the old habits you are trying to break?
  • KeriA
    Options
    It looks as if a few of us lost today or recently. I am getting more and more confident that I am finally getting out of this plateau but I only seem to lose every 2 weeks. However I can blame that on my camping trip last week. At my age it is really good not to be gaining so I am happy I lost a pound this (2) weeks. Can't wait to get to my first 30 pounds. I have been slipping in some elliptical and rowing before Aquafit on Mondays to beef it up. I am hoping to get it together and start some stregth training on Wednesday. However it remains to be seen whether I will be spending alot of time helping my Mom who has lost her husband recently. I have had to put it off for about 3 weeks already. Hope all had a good weekend and a great start to the week.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to find groups? I have lost you all for a while :(

Keri, thanks for your posts on plateaus. From your blog, it sounds like you work in a school? I do too and find Summer a good time to prioritise my health - but this Summer has so far been a monumental flop :(

Despite good diet, sleep and exercise I seem to have hit a monumental pleateu before I even started ..... (is that possible?)
    I lost one pound over the whole Summer and then put it back all on - and a bit more - in one day when my Son turned 21 (true that was not a responsible day for me but it was only one day)

So now I am feeling horribly demotivated. I know it goes against all advice, but I have decided to do a drastic cut back in calories for a few days - just to see what will happen. Nothing else is working.

Any other suggestions?
  • _gwen
    Options
    It makes me chuckle to say "Congratulations on your loss"

Maybe I have a weird sense of humor. :-)
  • _gwen
    Options

I made a bookmark for this thread and then check it every day. Otherwise, lose it too.

... but this Summer has so far been a monumental flop :(

Despite good diet, sleep and exercise I seem to have hit a monumental pleateu before I even started ..... (is that possible?)
    I lost one pound over the whole Summer and then put it back all on - and a bit more - in one day when my Son turned 21 (true that was not a responsible day for me but it was only one day)

So now I am feeling horribly demotivated. I know it goes against all advice, but I have decided to do a drastic cut back in calories for a few days - just to see what will happen. Nothing else is working.

Any other suggestions?

Instead of a drastic cut back, how about you not restrict your calories for a day or two? Still log your food, so you can track what you've eaten. And you don't need to eat junk, just eat more. Your body's metabolism will pick up because you are eating more than you have been. That might just be the trigger your body needs. Reducing calories further will likely cause your body to go into starvation mode, lowering your metabolism more and probably making you physically feel worse.

Looking at your food diary, it looks like you don't eat back your exercise calories and I see several days where your total calories are less than 1200. Always eat 1200 a day. It might be your body doesn't like the wide swings in calorie consumption.

I bumped up my minimum calories to 1300 because I was feeling so crappy, and I ended up with a 2.5 pound drop last week.

Sounds like you need to get some feel good time. I'd suggest getting a massage too.

Good luck!

Gwen
  • dfeledichuk
    Options

Keri, thanks for your posts on plateaus. From your blog, it sounds like you work in a school? I do too and find Summer a good time to prioritise my health - but this Summer has so far been a monumental flop :(

Any other suggestions?

I find water makes a huge difference for me, if I can drink more than 10 cups a day they weight seems to melt off, below 6 cups and I struggle. Maybe trying increasing the amount of water you are drinking.
  • dfeledichuk
    Options
    I have started a Christmas weight loss challenge for everyone over the age of 40, if you want to join the post is here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/318773-over-40-christmas-challenge
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hi everyone. It makes me feel good that we are helping each other. Great advice about getting out of plateaus for one. Yes to the water. I calculated due to my weight that I needed 14 cups and the one day I did drink that much I lost 4 pounds the next morning. I do not know why I can't do it everyday but I have upped my water and I finally lost a whole pound. From the second article in my blog - if you have had a large calorie deficit such as 1200 or less then you need to up your calories not lower them Sallie. If that is too scary for you you could try a Zigzag diet where you have low calorie days and higher calorie days. Many people have rest days in which they have a day where they are less restrictive with their calories. If you don't like going over you calorie goal you can have fake exercise that gives you more calories that day. That way you have a record that you ate more. As to eating exercise calories or not I think it depends on the person and situation whether you eat all or some but I definitely feel you should eat some. If you are not hungry it may be OK not to eat all or not. There is a deficit figured into your calorie goals before you exercise so if you were to eat them all you still have a deficit. I know that if my calorie goal is set to 1 pound a month and I eat all my exercise calories I don't tend to lose. Another thing to look at with plateaus is what kind of exercise have you been doing if you have been doing cardio exclusively and have been doing it rather intensively you may need to add in strength and ease up on cardio a bit. If you have been doing strength training and light cardio you can up your cardio. If you have only been doing low intensity cardio adding intervals of more intense cardio may work. So I would up your calories even if it is to make sure you get 1200 net calories by eating all your exercise calories and change up your exercise a bit and drink more than 8 glasses of water depending on your weight. I think it is 1/2 you weight in ounces.

As to finding us do you check My Topics (see above)? If you are posting on the boards alot it won't always be there near the top but I usually post on here everyday so that it should be on your list under My Topics. Another thing I can do is post a Blog for our group with all our members and the link to the thread. One other idea is that if you go to my profile page there is a section on the left that shows my last posts on most days I will have this thread on there for you to click on and get here. Remember if we exceed so many pages it will start a new thread with the same name.

I was wondering where you were. We may have lost some others. I may check on them.

I did my C25K today - Week 6 Day 2 which is still 25 minutes of running. Like you Sallie I am trying to maximize my loss this summer. I have taught Community College but right now I am unemployed. I was taking classes this past year to update/add to my job skills. So my focus is to find a job and get healthy. If I do find a job I may not have the time I do now to exercise so much. I actually think that intensifying the exercise doesn't always help the weight loss. However it is great at losing inches which I have definitely achieved this summer.

If you haven't already you might want to add momb4 as a friend. She is new to our group. I think we may have another new member soon as well. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Keri
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those ideas everyone
    Keri ... I never tried the "My Topics" tab before :O ... thank you!

I am going to try the more water approach ... its one I found really hard.