50+ with 50+ To Lose Group

Options

Replies

• Bisbeegal
    Bisbeegal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've found the group very motivating. Since joining, it's reinvigorated me, the majority of my days have been under again, and the scale seems to be showing that. I'll feel like a real success when I can break the 5 pound yo yo I'm on and maintain my ticker low (I can't bear to reset it to a higher weight, but I do keep logging in, hoping that I can get myself remotivated and start losing again.) I was really slipping in terms of my daily calories, but not in terms of doing my daily logging. I kept that up because I know that's the backbone of MFP. If you don't log in, you'll start kidding yourself that you haven't eaten that much, and before you know it, you're back to your wicked ways. It's like an ex smoker taking one puff, before you know it you're up to a pack a day.

Some suggestions made here that I'm really going to take to heart are drinking more water because I've been drinking some iced tea and Diet Cokes since it got warmer, and I think I need even more water to overcome the diuretic qualities in those drinks. Another problem I seem to have is not pacing my food throughout the day. I'm eating lightly earlier and having a big dinner. I am terrible at getting regular exercise, but I have been doing all my own housework and gardening, so I'm burning as many calories as I can around the house. I also try to take as many steps during the day that I can.

I swore many years ago that I would never go on a diet again, and I don't consider MFP dieting. I have to have total freedom of choice, or I will not stay the course.Since I always eat "regular foods," I don't feel like I'm deprived or worry that I might "go off the wagon" because, theoretically, you can eat an entire piece of chocolate cake.....if you don't want to eat dinner; so, you do have to retrain yourself to enjoy a few bites instead. I've been on MFP since late January, and although MFP keeps resetting my days, I've never had a day that I haven't logged in. I may not have the dramatic weight loss that some programs have, or dropped tons of pounds on prepackaged foods, but instead I've gotten a much better understanding of how important food choices and portions are. So, I do think this "re-education" will give me a much better chance of keeping it off and not packing it back on. I remember the earliest days when I was logging, and how hungry I felt and how hard it was to choose foods, and now it's second nature. When I started, I was skeptical that I could ever lose weight again, and it soon proved me wrong. I am happy with my results, and I'm sure this plateau will fall soon enough, and I'm hoping to lose a minimum of ten more pounds this year. That would put me at thirty for the year, and I think that's a reasonable and healthy goal. Thanks everyone for your help and support.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ... I've been on MFP since late January, and although MFP keeps resetting my days, I've never had a day that I haven't logged in.

You can send a request to get your number reset::

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/login_counter_reset_request

I'm glad you found the group. The positiveness of MFP is fantastic..
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Sallie good luck with drinking more water. I will be right there with you on that! I am doing better but can't get to where I should be.

Bisbeegal there is so much I agree with you on what you wrote. Do you hit the Complete this Entry Button? I forgot one night to do that until way later than 12 midnight and I reset too. I am starting over because of camping but since it is near my 1 year anniversary it may be a good time for a new start. Thanks Gwen for the great link. Maybe I should add it to our Blog. I count one cup of Green Tea in my water count but the rest is water. I find that the act of logging is very powerful for me. It brings to the front of my mind issues to work on and sometime that is enough to make a correction. I don't have any off limit foods just those I don't think are worth it to eat. I do not look at this as a diet either. I am watching my calories and exercise. I think that is really what is behind this group. Improving our health that for many of us means losing some weight. I am glad the group is motivating to you. I know it is for me.

In fact today I plan to do something I have know n I need to do but haven't been able to do for a while. I am going to go to the gym and try out some strength training. I tried this routine once with mixed success. I know that some of the machines weren't at my club or I couldn't find them. Wish me luck. This is my optional rest day. So it is a good day to go easy on cardio since I do alot of that. I wish I could afford some help from the personal trainers but you have to purchase a whole series of sessions not just one or two as needed. I really don't know why the machines intimidate me now I have used them before but have forgotten.

Some personal news. My son proposed to his high school sweet heart and she said yes.She is in med school and he is in law school. They finish the same year. I helped him pick out the ring! She is so sweet, cute and smart and he knows it. It will be awhile before they get married since they are busy with school.

Hope you all are having a wonderful week and check out our blog if you haven't already.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KeriA/view/50-with-50-to-lose-group-blog-137779

Keri
  • _gwen
    Options
    Good morning 50's

I'm working from home today. Mostly as a break from dragging myself into the office. I got in a good workout this morning and I'm feeling good about that.

Water is still my weak spot. I drink lots of iced tea, but I only let myself count a maximum of 1 glass of iced green tea towards water. Black tea is definitely a diuretic and I imagine it's almost like negative water. It's got to be plain old water. Anything else is liquid calories. I have alot of rules, don't I? :wink:
  • KeriA
    Options
    Good morning 50's

I'm working from home today. Mostly as a break from dragging myself into the office. I got in a good workout this morning and I'm feeling good about that.

Water is still my weak spot. I drink lots of iced tea, but I only let myself count a maximum of 1 glass of iced green tea towards water. Black tea is definitely a diuretic and I imagine it's almost like negative water. It's got to be plain old water. Anything else is liquid calories. I have alot of rules, don't I? :wink:

I have exactly the same rules. I count 1 glass of Green or White Tea in my water count only. Don't count any other liquid. I am doing well with water today though!
  • dfeledichuk
    dfeledichuk Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Working hard on water too.... seems I am having to force it in I can do about 6 glasses a day okay but more and it is work.. aiming for 10 a day this week!
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I hope you're having a great day! This might be a silly question but thought I'd ask... Do you count the water you drink during a workout/exercise? I've never counted it as I feel I'm replenishing what I'm sweating out. Your thoughts?
  • KeriA
    Options
    I count it but you have point in that I have seen guidelines that increase the amount of water you "need" with exercise. I am over 10 glasses today. Yes 6 is my usual.
  • _gwen
    Options
    Do you count the water you drink during a workout/exercise?

Yes, I do but I also try to drink more on work out days. I want to reliably get 8 glasses in a day before I stop counting water during exercise and set a higher goal.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Keri, great job on over 10 glasses!

Gwen, I agree...I do try and get more in on exercise days :):smile: some days I feel like I'm going to float away from all the water!
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Keri, you said this in an earlier post:
    I calculated due to my weight that I needed 14 cups

Is there a way to calculate what I should be drinking? If so, please where can it be found?
    (Not that I would really manage but it would still be interesting)
  • _gwen
    Options
    Larius sent me the link to the chicken divan recipe he noted in his food diary. He eats this quite a bit, so I'm guessing it's quick and easy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/78596-low-calorie-chicken-divan-must-try

I'll try to make this over the weekend and post my notes.

Gwen
  • KeriA
    Options
    To calculate the amount of water to drink daily take your weignt and divide in half for the ounces. Divide that by 8 for the cups. I am not sure how much to add for exercise. Does anyone else know that? Anyway I did drink 14 cups yesterday. The last time I did that I lost 4 pounds the next day. This morning I lost more than a pound. Not that I am claiming that kind of results all the time but now that I am out of my plateau I will be trying to keep my water up and doing everything I can to lose the next 25 or so.

I finally believe I have gotten out of this plateau. I guess I wasn't really sure even with the bits I lost and the pound on Monday. I have finally lost 30 pounds. I have been on here almost a year. It was also my school schedule last year that slowed things up. Now that I am no longer in school and in a plateau I can do what I planned to do this summer. Too bad summer is almost over. I am proud of myself for not giving up, maintaining and continuing to exercise and I definitely lost inches.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Larius sent me the link to the chicken divan recipe he noted in his food diary. He eats this quite a bit, so I'm guessing it's quick and easy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/78596-low-calorie-chicken-divan-must-try

I'll try to make this over the weekend and post my notes.

Gwen
    Thanks for this link, Gwen. I am trying to make good food at home. Yesterday I made a curry chickpea stew with cauliflower and spinach. It even had peanut butter in it. It was delicious and my pescatarian son loved it. Tumerick which is in curry is really good for you. However I don't cook vegetarian exclusively. My son isn't home everynight anyway. So I love getting good suggestions.
    Keri
  • MCYoung
    MCYoung Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Keri ...
    I just scared myself !! :drinker:
    By doing the math like you suggest for my daily water intake, I need to drink 13 cups!!! HOLY COW! I am totally going to be up all night now!! :ohwell:
    My goals for August.... to loose another 5#, and exercise more!!! Right now during the week, I ride the stationary bike for 45 minuets a night, and weekends I add walking for at least 30 min around my neighborhood.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hi All
    here is the list of those who have joined our group so far

dfeledichuk
    _gwen
    grannysquare1 (Nancy)
    salliebeige
    meabonl
    jimswife1
    GreenHydrangea
    CRody (Chuck)
    KeriA (Keri)
    elfie9863
    SeattleGrl (Hazel)
    jhamby
    swimmer54
    momb4 (Lynne)
    bisbeegal
    McYoung (Mary)
    I think this is a great start and more are welcome

I made some additions and corrections.

Here is the current list of members, let me know if I missed anyone.
    added momb4 (Lynne and corrected SeattleGrl (Hazel)
    Added Bisbeegal and McYoung (Mary) to the list. Welcome. Did I miss anyone?
  • grannysquare1
    Options
    I'm finally back. I had myself a bit of a pity party for several days. Where did that get me? Nowhere of course. I still have my health problems, PLUS a few extra pounds. So now I'm giving myself a quick kick in the pants. Here are my goals.

Record every bite
    Weigh and measure food
    Drink my water
    Still not allowed to exercise, so nothing here
    Try a new healthy recipe twice a week
    Restrict salt to 1500mg
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Grannysquare ... mfp has been telling us how many days you have not logged on for!
    Well done to you for bouncing back! You are an inspiration to keep going.
    (At the moment I seem to have a few health issues too and simply cannot lose any weight) I know its really demotivating but I am hoping that better eating is at least keeping me at least a bit healthier ... maybe for you too?)

Maybe you could send someone your email address so we can prompt you when we see you have been missing for a few days? I am happy if you send it to me although I am not sure how reliable I will be either once the school term starts.
  • MCYoung
    MCYoung Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I didn't introduce myself ~ how rude!!! LOL go figure ~ once you know me you will come to expect stuff from "left field"
    Anyhow, my name is Mary and I joined MFP in June. I will be 58 next month and live in West Valley City (Salt Lake valley), UT. I have lived here with my hubby for 6 years in Oct. I have tried WW several times with limited success, seems the more times I restarted the less I would loose, and the longer it would take!! I have been on a fairly steady weight gain for probably 20 years. I confess I don't eat a lot of vegies, and yes I know I should.... but just don’t like the taste & texture of most of them. I also have never been big on exercise (I just hate to sweat... and I have been very lazy to this point).
    With those confessions being out there now, I will say that I have had success with MFP and am thrilled with the results that I have had so far. I am so close to loosing 30# that I just ... want to go to bed right now and have it be tomorrow so I can see if I am there! :happy:
    I started walking back in June for 30 min a day, after the first few days (when I thought I was going to die!!) I realized that I could do this! Now if I am too tired after work I will go ride the stationary bike for a while (30-50 min), on the weekends I walk usually in the early morning and ride the bike in the evenings.
    I have a beautiful daughter that joined MFP last month and she has a beauty of her own now. I became a Grandmother for the first time 20 months ago. I love my girls with all my heart and am doing this not only for my husband, and myself but also for my girls.
    My goals are.... 10% loss, which I did in my first 6 weeks :flowerforyou:
    Next goal is another 10%, which will get me well into ONDERLAND by the end of Sept. That is 16 # more that need to GET LOST in 7 weeks time. I CAN DO THIS!!!! :blushing:
    So that is me.... I don't think I left anything out ~
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hi Mary aka McYoung and thanks for introducing yourself. It is inspiring to hear how you found a way to get the exercise. With my kids I snuck vegetables into other dishes they liked and soon enough they started to like them more. My son is a pescatarian who isn't big on fish and picky about his vegetables too. He loves my vegetarian chili. There are some fruits that are as good for you as vegetables such as strawberries and canteloupe. Sounds like you are doing great.

So good to hear from you Nancy aka Grannysquare. Sometimes when I get down it is just a day away from things turning around for me. I wish that for you. I was really down on Thursday. My unemployment was running out and I was applying for the State extension. I wasn't finding any jobs or getting interviews. I was losing so slowly despite working so hard and my whole family left for Europe for a trip to celebrate my nieces wedding and I couldn't go since I couldn't afford it. I didn't mind since I needed to take my daughter to a college trip but can't really afford that either and am worried it could hurt my application for state benefits too. The next day I lost another pound, got a job interview and today I got a determination that I may be getting a second round of Federal extended benefits since I worked last year at temporary jobs. I really don't want them I want a job. Still have some problems to solve but sometimes you work and work and don't see any progress and just want to give up. However the progress will tell sometime. However I kept trying to tell myself that I had alot to be thankful for too. Most have to do with my husband and kids and not really me. Sometimes we need some progress for ourselves. I want all of you to know this about me as a MFP friend. I do not delete friends when they are missing for awhile and I am going to be here for along time. Once I hit my goal weight I will be on here maintaining for at least 2 months. I will have at least 1 more plateau to get through before that if not two. So know that I will be here if you take a break and come back. We are all here for you Nancy. Thanks for coming back on MFP and especially glad to see you here, now. Frankly I would feel sorry for myself if I couldn't exercise too. Even when I wasn't losing pounds there was at least inches. However exercise is usually not the biggest proportion of weight loss but it does has its benefits. You are inspiring and have set some great new goals.

Hope others haven't lost this thread. I posted a blog as well.