Why I won't eat fish (seafood)

Options

Replies

• gurlondrums
    Options
    Interesting. When I was pregnant with my son (he's now four), I ate seafood at least 4-5 times a week. Crab, lobster, shrimp, salmon, cod. They told me about all the bad stuff that could happen yet me and my son are both healthy. They also told me I couldn't eat Tums during pregnancy 'cause the calcium would solidify and I'd have a rock baby. Hmm, that never happened either. Also, with that pregnancy, I lost the baby weight pretty quickly and bounced back almost immediately. I love seafood. I do research too, I'm not worried...
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I won't eat it because I just plain out don't like it. Blech.
  • shannonymous
    Options
    As I said, chicken and beef do not have toxic poisons in them. Fish and seafood does. I cannot knowingly and willingly eat a toxic poison. If you do, good for you.

Might want to stay away from almonds then. They have cyanide in them.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I get so incredibly tired of people overblowing the Mercury thing way out of proportion.

You have to eat an insane amount of fish including tunafish over a long period of time (YEARS) to be affected by the mercury.

It's getting really ridiculous. It's like people not wanting to use smartphones anymore because of the cancer thing.

Agreed!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I eat fish yes. I eat tuna, salmon, catfish, tilapia, etc. I have been eating fish for over 30 years, quite often.

I guess I'm gonna die from mercury now right?

meh... we're all gonna die. I love fish! I think this is all bogus, We should take away carbonation because apparently we'll all be constipated for the rest of our lives. lol
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Taem now that I remember, not too long ago you made a thread not unlike this one trying to get the populous to buy into your anti-fish madness completely overblowing the mercury levels way out of epic proportions.

Are you really that worried about the general population and mercury intake?

Are we still in agreement that you have to consume ALOT of solid white albacore tuna to have serious toxic levels of mercury?

You do realize that I can eat one can of chunk light tuna every day for the rest of my life and my liver will do its job, yes? I will live a long and healthy life.

Stop trying to scare everyone.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I won't touch it. it smells bad, theres too much mercury, not to mention all the crud thats been going into the ocean for the last 50 years, and shell fish do not clean their houses. nope, too many unknows and crabs espically have all kinds of parisites. nope, i'll stick with chicken.

Sparta.jpg

This image made me burst out laughing! GOLD!
  • emma1488
    Options
    I dont eat fish and other seafood because of the damage its causing to ocean life. The amount of bycatch that is purely wasted is not worth it to me. I want the oceans to be alive for my children and their children. Just saying
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    What your saying make sense. And it's true. But personally I'm done freaking out over these things. Now days everything has some sort of chemical in it. Theres really no way to avoid 100% of it. Even "organic" food. I'm just going to eat in moderation, and pray to God that I don't die. :)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    READ ON TEH BOARDS TAHT FISH SI GR3AT FOR US B/C OF TEH NUTRITION AND FATS TH3Y CAN OF3R!1!!!1! OMG WTF

HERA SI A VIEDO ON MARCURY 3FECTS ON NEURONS (NOT HUMAN I DONT THINK) U?1!11!1

H3R3 SI DA FDA RASPONSE ON MERCURY FOR PRAGNANT WOM3N!11!!11!
    HTP/WWFDAGOV/FOD/FODSAEFTY/PRODUCT-SPECIFICINFORMATION/SEAFOD/FODBORNEPATHOGANSCONTMINANTS/METHYLM3RCURY/UCM1562HTM!!!!1!! OMG WTF

I CANT BLEIV3 DA FDA WANTS PREGNANT WOMAN 2 FEL SAEF 3ATNG FISH!!1!!!1 LOL
    this is all i see
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Okay I am throwing my 2 cents in. I eat fish and shellfish. I was raised by the Gulf and I love it. Although I don't eat it as regularly as I'd like cuz of where I live now, I do eat it and don't give it a second thought. Yes I know there are issues with mercury and I actually have a friend who can not tolerate mercury and avoids it. That is her. The great thing about this (and other topics in debate, like the sweetener one, the eating back calories one, etc.) is that this is an individual journey and we have to make choices of what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable to us. I choose to never give up caffeine. I choose to eat fish. I can readily give up other things that others prefer not to.

To me the take home on it all is to research the facts, decide if it is something you think you want in your life and do it or not.

Thanks for a great topic debate and for those who did provide information so we can make an informed decision! :flowerforyou:
  • emma1488
    Options
    READ ON TEH BOARDS TAHT FISH SI GR3AT FOR US B/C OF TEH NUTRITION AND FATS TH3Y CAN OF3R!1!!!1! OMG WTF

HERA SI A VIEDO ON MARCURY 3FECTS ON NEURONS (NOT HUMAN I DONT THINK) U?1!11!1

H3R3 SI DA FDA RASPONSE ON MERCURY FOR PRAGNANT WOM3N!11!!11!
    HTP/WWFDAGOV/FOD/FODSAEFTY/PRODUCT-SPECIFICINFORMATION/SEAFOD/FODBORNEPATHOGANSCONTMINANTS/METHYLM3RCURY/UCM1562HTM!!!!1!! OMG WTF

I CANT BLEIV3 DA FDA WANTS PREGNANT WOMAN 2 FEL SAEF 3ATNG FISH!!1!!!1 LOL
    this is all i see

WTF?!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I dont eat fish and other seafood because of the damage its causing to ocean life. The amount of bycatch that is purely wasted is not worth it to me. I want the oceans to be alive for my children and their children. Just saying

I totally respect this! I found an interesting article on NPR about eating certain fish that are considered invasive. It's just a theory and an opinionated article, but still interesting :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I love it when people post stuff trying to seem informative, and then continue to argue about it all while trying to say "Hey, I'm just posting the info, not looking for a fight."
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Seriously.. It's hyped up. Tons of seafood over a lonnng period of time causes a build-up of mercury and these neurological issues. As for pregnant women: There's a bunch of things they need to avoid during pregnancy -- And rightfully so, they're growing another human being and should be extremely picky about what enters their bodies.

I'm going to keep enjoying my wild caught salmon, steamed Maryland crabs, shrimp, mahi-mahi and the rest of the gang..

..And those who are THAT concerned about mercury can miss out.

So, there! :glasses:
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Taem now that I remember, not too long ago you made a thread not unlike this one trying to get the populous to buy into your anti-fish madness completely overblowing the mercury levels way out of epic proportions.

Are we still in agreement that you have to consume ALOT of solid white albacore tuna to have serious toxic levels of mercury?

You do realize that I can eat one can of chunk light tuna every day for the rest of my life and my liver will do its job, yes? I will live a long and healthy life.

Actually, I am not trying to scare anyone. I am stating the reasons why I don't eat fish and seafood anymore. Even you admit there is mercury in the food.

Eating poison is still seriously not right with me, no matter what levels there are. This is my opinion. Thanks.
  • taem
    Options
    I love it when people post stuff trying to seem informative, and then continue to argue about it all while trying to say "Hey, I'm just posting the info, not looking for a fight."

How am I fighting? We all agree there is mercury in the food.
  • taem
    Options

I don't think I started that thread, nor do I know what other thread you are talking about. I am not worried about the general population and mercury intake, I stated in the subject header my reasons.

As for the amount of can tuna per week, read the articles I previously posted, the FDA recommends 3 cans per week, not everyday.

You can eat whatever you like, I am not trying to scare anyone. I know I won't eat any levels of mercury poisoning. If you want to, that's great for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I get so incredibly tired of people overblowing the Mercury thing way out of proportion.

You have to eat an insane amount of fish including tunafish over a long period of time (YEARS) to be affected by the mercury.

It's getting really ridiculous. It's like people not wanting to use smartphones anymore because of the cancer thing.
    It's kinda like the fear of drinking too much water. For most people, it would be near impossible to do so.
  • heather3879
    heather3879 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What about farm-raised fish? Lower in mercury, better for the environment due to overfishing...I like it.