Why I won't eat fish (seafood)

Options

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I dare anyone here to go into google, and type "why is...insert food here...bad for you"

See? We'd all be dead if we followed this reasoning. You know the saying "you pick your poison?"

Here is a bottle of poison, would you eat it? What if I included a bottle of fat and protein and told you it's good for you? Would you eat it still? Now let me charge you money for it and say you can eat 1 can of it a day, would you eat it? give it to your children or grandchildren?

Poison + Fat + Protein + moderation = something I don't eat. That's my decision, I hope it is yours as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I dare anyone here to go into google, and type "why is...insert food here...bad for you"

See? We'd all be dead if we followed this reasoning. You know the saying "you pick your poison?"

Here is a bottle of poison, would you eat it? What if I included a bottle of fat and protein and told you it's good for you? Would you eat it still? Now let me charge you money for it and say you can eat 1 can of it a day, would you eat it? give it to your children or grandchildren?

Poison + Fat + Protein + moderation = something I don't eat. That's my decision, I hope it is yours as well.

Personally, I don't care if you eat fish or not. But seriously, there is not the equivalent of even a small "bottle" of poison if you ate fish every day for year. If it bothers you then don't eat it, but why exaggerate? I like fish.
  • taem
    Options
    If we are going that route, tilapia and catfish may not be healthy for us according to some recent research. The cons may outweigh the pros nutritionally.

If one is worried about parasites, chicken probably isn't all that safe compared to fish, though I would want to look for some research in this area.

For the record, I eat lots of types of animals. I also read research papers, opinion pieces, and other articles with a grain of salt, so to speak. Everyone has an agenda. It's pretty difficult to find "unbiased" reports. People are funny like that.

You are right. Even the US agencies are at odds with each other, the FDA and the EPA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/opinion/23tue3.html?ref=mercuryintuna

No offense taem, but posting links to "nytimes.com" isn't exactly reputable. Their opinions and bloggers. Let's post some expert advice and/or facts.

I'd like to hear what Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, and Martin Berkhan have to say about Mercury and Fish. Also the NIH studies.

+10 respect for listing all my favourite fitness/nutrition experts in one go

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/advisories.htm

They have toned down their message but say this and I quote.

"The degree of exposure to mercury is derived from both the amount and the type of fish eaten. The key factor to an individual's health is related to the amount and type of fish the individual consumes."

Both amount and type of fish eaten, there was a poster here that said he could eat 1 can of tuna a day and it would be okay. It is to each individual to decided, but I know what I would do, and that's not eat any amount of any level of mercury.

The youtube video of the news television special report on the SF Bay Area states that those living in California consume more fish (seafood) then the rest of the US. I won't summarize it here since the video isn't that long.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    it's good for you
    it will kill you
    it's good for you
    it will kill you

it seems like you can have this discussion about almost everything we put in our bodies these days.

maybe i should just stop breathing too because the air quality is getting worse all the time and that's probably affecting my health.
    Breathing gives you cancer, everybody knows that ;P

BIG WINK just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious here!! (you know what this bloody place can be like)

It is funny, but you know, if your children comes home from school with breathing problems because of a chemical plant spewing out harmful chemicals in the air, that won't be funny.
    No it wont be, so its a good job that their mother is a Masters qualified scientist with 12 years experience in science and medicine and so can read peer reviewed articles instead of relying on newspapers, TV shows and generalised scare mongering for my MIS-information.
  • taem
    Options

Personally, I don't care if you eat fish or not. But seriously, there is not the equivalent of even a small "bottle" of poison if you ate fish every day for year. If it bothers you then don't eat it, but why exaggerate? I like fish.

How am I exaggerating? We all know there is poison in the seafood. Go ahead and eat it if you like.
  • taem
    Options
    it's good for you
    it will kill you
    it's good for you
    it will kill you

it seems like you can have this discussion about almost everything we put in our bodies these days.

maybe i should just stop breathing too because the air quality is getting worse all the time and that's probably affecting my health.

BIG WINK just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious here!! (you know what this bloody place can be like)

It is funny, but you know, if your children comes home from school with breathing problems because of a chemical plant spewing out harmful chemicals in the air, that won't be funny.
    No it wont be, so its a good job that their mother is a Masters qualified scientist with 12 years experience in science and medicine and so can read peer reviewed articles instead of relying on newspapers, TV shows and generalised scare mongering for my MIS-information.

So I guess you would eat the poisonous food and give it to your children? Good for you. Thanks for your opinion.
  • bcattoes
    Options

How am I exaggerating? We all know there is poison in the seafood. Go ahead and eat it if you like.

Consuming "a bottle of poison with added fat and protein" = eating fish. That is an exaggeration. A pretty big one.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I won't eat fish, because I detest the fishing industry, and if I could ban one thing in the world it would be trawler fishing.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    it's good for you
    it will kill you
    it's good for you
    it will kill you

So I guess you would eat the poisonous food and give it to your children? Good for you. Thanks for your opinion.
    Amazing how you have turned into an ar5ehole suddenly. Good for you.
  • taem
    Options

Consuming "a bottle of poison with added fat and protein" = eating fish. That is an exaggeration. A pretty big one.

You are not quoting me correctly. But maybe the meaning of that isn't clear so I apologize if it isn't, let me clarify.

I won't eat any poison at any level, at any type of frequency, even if it comes from a natural source. It is after all, poison. Now, you can eat it, I am stating why I won't.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Do you use compact florescent light bulbs? Guess what there is mercury in those and if they are broken can expose everyone in the room to mercury. That being said, the mercury contained in them is very small so the benefits outweigh the risks. You drive to work because the benefits of a job outweigh the risks of a car accident. We use air travel because the speed and convenience outweigh the risks of crashing. It is all about risk management, and the mercury in fish debate is the same. The health benefits of fish outweigh the risks of mercury poisoning, so much so that people have been doing it for centuries with very little over exposure to mercury.
  • taem
    Options
    it's good for you
    it will kill you
    it's good for you
    it will kill you

Amazing how you have turned into an ar5ehole suddenly. Good for you.

Look, I am sorry you think I am what you think I am, but I gave urls from government agencies that show mercury levels, that are updated. I also showed a university's video on mercury's affect on brain neurons. And then I showed a video where a device measuring mercury levels on individual fish that the consumer typically eats. You then said that you are qualified and that what I presented is not accurate. So what can I conclude but that you won't look at the reports I have given or you are creating an air of superiority. Either way, you are stating that it's okay to eat fish with trace mercury. I can only reply by saying to go ahead with your actions. How am I being negative?
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Dude, if you didn't want to stir the $*&t pot, then this kind of information could have been written in your own PERSONAL BLOG. This is a public forum. If you don't want to start an argument, then stop arguing. Tossing up articles and options about a controversial topic in a a place where you expect others to read/hear/or reply to it, is the very definition of looking for an argument. If you don't want to cause arguments, then you don't bring up controversial topics in a public forum. You can't sugar-coat your intentions either. Stop trying to pass off a turd as a chocolate bar. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else, but when someone disagrees with you, you can't turn an opposing opinion into a completely wrong fact. That is why it's called an opinion and not a fact.

That being said, you seem like the type that considers an argument a " heated discussion." If you guys ignore him, he'll stop or lose interest.

Also, EVERYTHING is bad for you in excess. I think that's why a lot of us are here. We were excessively eating, being lazy, or a combination of the two. No offense to the people who have genuine health problems attributing to their reasons for being here. Again, EVERYTHING is bad in excess. Sun, water, food, alcohol, oxygen. Everything is a potential poison. Now, excuse me while I finish my mercury sandwich.
  • taem
    Options

Do you use compact florescent light bulbs? Guess what there is mercury in those and if they are broken can expose everyone in the room to mercury. That being said, the mercury contained in them is very small so the benefits outweigh the risks. You drive to work because the benefits of a job outweigh the risks of a car accident. We use air travel because the speed and convenience outweigh the risks of crashing. It is all about risk management, and the mercury in fish debate is the same. The health benefits of fish outweigh the risks of mercury poisoning, so much so that people have been doing it for centuries with very little over exposure to mercury.

To use mercury for light bulbs, I can say we do it all the time. However, when a light bulb breaks, we are very cautious and weary about its disposal. I believe mercury can be used for products when used safely.

I certainly won't eat it.
  • taem
    Options
    Dude, if you didn't want to stir the $*&t pot, then this kind of information could have been written in your own PERSONAL BLOG. This is a public forum. If you don't want to start an argument, then stop arguing. Tossing up articles and options about a controversial topic in a a place where you expect others to read/hear/or reply to it, is the very definition of looking for an argument. If you don't want to cause arguments, then you don't bring up controversial topics in a public forum. You can't sugar-coat your intentions either. Stop trying to pass off a turd as a chocolate bar. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else, but when someone disagrees with you, you can't turn an opposing opinion into a completely wrong fact. That is why it's called an opinion and not a fact.

That being said, you seem like the type that considers an argument a " heated discussion." If you guys ignore him, he'll stop or lose interest.

Also, EVERYTHING is bad for you in excess. I think that's why a lot of us are here. We were excessively eating, being lazy, or a combination of the two. No offense to the people who have genuine health problems attributing to their reasons for being here. Again, EVERYTHING is bad in excess. Sun, water, food, alcohol, oxygen. Everything is a potential poison. Now, excuse me while I finish my mercury sandwich.

But mercury isn't a potential poison, it is a poison.

As for your other comments, you are probably right but this forum is also about nutrition and I believe we should discuss the ramifications of poison in our food. Why do we eat poison? Why do we drink bottled or filtered water?

Someone mentioned about breathing air, I'm pretty sure there will be air products for us to breath soon enough. I mean there are air filtering products for our homes.

When it comes to fish though, it is like everyone says it's okay to eat it. I simply stated and tried to prove that there is poison in the seafood and I won't eat it.

I am glad you are eating the mercury sandwich.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    At this point….
    Care-Map.jpg
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    Everything these days causes cancer/some type of illness/is bad for you in some way.

I want to live the life I have rather then worrying about everything.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am glad you are eating the mercury sandwich.

Mercury sandwich. heehee. This is all making hungry for some mercury tacos! Just curious, do you think Green Giant frozen niblets corn don't have poisons sprayed on them?
  • taem
    Options
    I love fish:) I think the Japanese totally have it right with sushi. PERFECT. HEALTHY. AWESOME. A little bit of rice (low fat) with a big old chunk of raw fish (lean protein) wrapped in Nori (seaweed....yum-o) and dipped in some wasabi. There is no food on he planet better IMO.

You are right, the Japanese (pre disaster) were not afraid of mercury in their (tuna) shushi.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/health/27iht-japan.1.9522347.html?scp=1&sq=mercury in fish in japan&st=cse

However and I quote:

"I wouldn't worry about it," Ukiuchi said, strolling through Tokyo's main fish market Friday. "We're not talking about eating 10 tuna sushi every day - in which case I might be a little bit worried."
  • taem
    Options
    I read on the boards that fish is great for us because of the nutrition and fats they can offer.

Here is a video on mercury effects on neurons (not human I don't think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6E-OUMVMNI&NR=1

Here is the FDA response on mercury for pregnant women.
    http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

I can't believe the FDA wants pregnant women to feel safe eating fish!
    Aren't you also a vegetarian? If you are then aren't you just spewing anti meat propoganda?

I quit eating meat in July, but I am not against beef like I am for seafood. If i decided to give up being a vegan, I still wouldn't eat seafood. With beef, cook it thoroughly and no bacteria--simple. With seafood, you have to fight against unknown levels of poison and you have to try and get rid of it from your body--not so simple.