Why I won't eat fish (seafood)

Options

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What about farm-raised fish? Lower in mercury, better for the environment due to overfishing...I like it.

I agree that fish without mercury is great. No argument from me.
  • heather3879
    heather3879 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

You can get b12 or omega fats through other means.

That would take a lot of flaxseed.
  • taem
    Options
    Just curious...

You can get b12 or omega fats through other means.

That would take a lot of flaxseed.

Nutritional yeast has b12 and other b vitamins.
  • taem
    Options
    I get so incredibly tired of people overblowing the Mercury thing way out of proportion.

You have to eat an insane amount of fish including tunafish over a long period of time (YEARS) to be affected by the mercury.

It's getting really ridiculous. It's like people not wanting to use smartphones anymore because of the cancer thing.
    It's kinda like the fear of drinking too much water. For most people, it would be near impossible to do so.

Here is another article about the reluctance of labeling mercury warnings on can tuna and the (biased organization) Oceana with regards to mercury in tuna.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/national-study-finds-high-levels-of-mercury-in-tuna/?scp=28&sq=boy mercury poisoning&st=cse

Here is a youtube video on a local news group testing mercury in their area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2BHzpHlNeQ&feature=related

This ABC's report and it includes a story about a boy whose mercury levels affected him. So, yes you can get sick more quickly than you thought, but the good news is, there is a way to know how much poison you are eating.

Still, that defies some logic of health, but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JbvwuHi_K4&NR=1

Here is a 2009 report on mercury in the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an3xRjL_Q5U&feature=related
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    READ ON TEH BOARDS TAHT FISH SI GR3AT FOR US B/C OF TEH NUTRITION AND FATS TH3Y CAN OF3R!1!!!1! OMG WTF

HERA SI A VIEDO ON MARCURY 3FECTS ON NEURONS (NOT HUMAN I DONT THINK) U?1!11!1

H3R3 SI DA FDA RASPONSE ON MERCURY FOR PRAGNANT WOM3N!11!!11!
    HTP/WWFDAGOV/FOD/FODSAEFTY/PRODUCT-SPECIFICINFORMATION/SEAFOD/FODBORNEPATHOGANSCONTMINANTS/METHYLM3RCURY/UCM1562HTM!!!!1!! OMG WTF

I CANT BLEIV3 DA FDA WANTS PREGNANT WOMAN 2 FEL SAEF 3ATNG FISH!!1!!!1 LOL
    this is all i see

OMG this is hilarious! thanks for making my morning. Let's just leave this guy in his miserable media misinformed glory and I'll go have some tuna sashimi today! mmm
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I read on the boards that fish is great for us because of the nutrition and fats they can offer.

Here is a video on mercury effects on neurons (not human I don't think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6E-OUMVMNI&NR=1

Here is the FDA response on mercury for pregnant women.
    http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

I can't believe the FDA wants pregnant women to feel safe eating fish!
    Aren't you also a vegetarian? If you are then aren't you just spewing anti meat propoganda?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Actually, I am not trying to scare anyone. I am stating the reasons why I don't eat fish and seafood anymore. Even you admit there is mercury in the food.

Eating poison is still seriously not right with me, no matter what levels there are. This is my opinion. Thanks.
    Really? You need iodine in your body, but literally drinking it would poison and kill you. So even at a very low level would you give up iodine?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Please tell me that you don't drive a car or drink city water . . .
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's possible to get any food that is free of contaminants any more. You pretty much pick your poison no matter what you eat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I also hope you don't actually use paper cash to pay for stuff, you know that 90% of all paper money has cocaine on it right? While we're boycotting stuff that'd be a good place to start, you know what cocaine can do to you?!?
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    I love fish:) I think the Japanese totally have it right with sushi. PERFECT. HEALTHY. AWESOME. A little bit of rice (low fat) with a big old chunk of raw fish (lean protein) wrapped in Nori (seaweed....yum-o) and dipped in some wasabi. There is no food on he planet better IMO.
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    Let me add that once, I got my annual flu shot AND an H1N1 shot and then went and ate sushi. LOL. I should probably be dead from mercury poisoning right? LOL
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i don't eat fish because it tastes like fish lol...well accept tuna...that's not so bad.

Same here! I hate the taste and texture of all aquatic meat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I could eat sushi everyday and never get bored of it. Of course I'm a systematic eater most of the time anyway.
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    i don't eat fish because it tastes like fish lol...well accept tuna...that's not so bad.

You don't eat steak then either? Ahi Tuna has the same texture as beef (unless you ruin your beef by cooking it all leathery and well done). RAw salmon also has a texture like beef...
  • ninpiggy
    Options

You don't eat steak then either? Ahi Tuna has the same texture as beef (unless you ruin your beef by cooking it all leathery and well done). RAw salmon also has a texture like beef...

Actually I don't eat steak very often and I have never eaten raw salmon. Are you getting defensive about me not enjoying the taste of sea food? It has nothing to do with the mercury if that's what you're thinking lol
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If we are going that route, tilapia and catfish may not be healthy for us according to some recent research. The cons may outweigh the pros nutritionally.

If one is worried about parasites, chicken probably isn't all that safe compared to fish, though I would want to look for some research in this area.

For the record, I eat lots of types of animals. I also read research papers, opinion pieces, and other articles with a grain of salt, so to speak. Everyone has an agenda. It's pretty difficult to find "unbiased" reports. People are funny like that.

You are right. Even the US agencies are at odds with each other, the FDA and the EPA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/opinion/23tue3.html?ref=mercuryintuna

No offense taem, but posting links to "nytimes.com" isn't exactly reputable. Their opinions and bloggers. Let's post some expert advice and/or facts.

I'd like to hear what Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, and Martin Berkhan have to say about Mercury and Fish. Also the NIH studies.

+10 respect for listing all my favourite fitness/nutrition experts in one go
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    Defensive? Not at all. I have always kind of had champagne taste though, as opposed to beer tastes:) Always surprised when people don't like the high quality stuff.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

the only way tuna has the texture of beef is if it's over-cooked, which should be a crime IMO.
  • ninpiggy
    Options
    Defensive? Not at all. I have always kind of had champagne taste though, as opposed to beer tastes:) Always surprised when people don't like the high quality stuff.

LOL

I'm sorry but this makes you sound really arrogant.
    I guess I just have "beer taste" as you put it.