The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
Okay just to clarify, this thread is to offer information and instruction on how to do an exercise correctly and what muscle area it targets. DON'T ASK TO MAKE AN EXERCISE PROGRAM FOR YOU........it's specifically for how to do an exercise or to question what an exercise you're doing now may be targeting. I'll also have exercise tips from time to time. Here's one now:

Many women complain of "bat wings". Now while an exercise can't spot reduce an area, it can "harden up" the muscle underneath helping to reduce some of that jiggle. I see many a female will "bat wings" doing pressdowns and kickbacks (which hit the lateral head more), but one of the most effective exercises to hit "long head" (the main area from which your "bat wings" hang) is the lying tricep extension with either a barbell or dumbell. Start by laying supine (on your back) on a bench. With your arms extended (but not fully locked) and holding a challenging weight, bending at the elbows only, exahale let the weight come down towards the top of your head. DO NOT let the upper arms (biceps and triceps) drift backward! You should only bend at the elbows. Then breathing out return the weight to start position. If done correctly, the area most affected will be the long head of the triceps. Hit them hard and with focus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Are these also called skullcrushers or am I getting this exercise confused with another one?
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the triceps tip! I have been doing the press downs and kickbacks, but did not know the lying extensions would work better for the batwings!
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My trainer makes me do those every week.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Are these also called skullcrushers or am I getting this exercise confused with another one?

Yes they are. Skullcrushers are done with a barbell and risk messing your face up.

A better option, and providing constant tension, would be to use cables
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Thank you, IS. :)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Also known as skullcrushers
  • tavery3700
    tavery3700 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok

Where is the thread?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What's 'harden up' mean?
    When muscle is unconditioned (lacking any exercise) it atrophies and becomes "flabby". Working out muscle fills the cells up with glycogen and water causing it to swell and have a "harder" feel to it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Skull crushers are the "slang" name for them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yes they are. Skullcrushers are done with a barbell and risk messing your face up.

A better option, and providing constant tension, would be to use cables
    While cables are an option, if the exercise is done correctly and safely, this usually isn't the case. Most people who obtain an injury usually use too much weight, have bad form, or flat out do them wrong.
    And you can do lying tricep extensions with dumbells if a barbell is intimidating.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok

Where is the thread?
    Do you do lying tricep extensions?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The BICEP CURL- start with a weight you can do 8-12 reps with (either dumbell or barbell). With your arms hanging down at your sides, and bending at the elbow only, curl the weight up to your chest and breathe out. On the way down breath in and keep control of the weight. Don't let it drop fast as this can eventually injure tendons in your elbows. Your elbow should stayed "glued" to your sides. If your elbows "drift" forward (come forward past your sides) the tension will shift to your shoulders. Other bad habits that people do is to "swing" the weight with momentum to get it up, not extend their arms fully down to start position, and "rock" their elbows back and forth. If you cannot do a full curl correctly, then the weight is too heavy for you. Better to at least get the correct form down then stoke your ego. Have fun.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • colettemae
    colettemae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are lots of machines for arms at the gym that I feel comfortable using. But when it comes to legs, I only know how to use four machines correctly (leg press, leg extension, hip abduction, hip adduction). What other exercises should I be doing for legs? I don't want to bulk up, just be fit.
  • colettemae
    colettemae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are lots of machines for arms at the gym that I feel comfortable using. But when it comes to legs, I only know how to use four machines correctly (leg press, leg extension, hip abduction, hip adduction). What other exercises should I be doing for legs? I don't want to bulk up, just be fit.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You also need to work the back of your legs (hamstrings) so that you avoid imbalance and injury to a weaker muscle. So a lying leg curl, or seated leg curl should be added. If you have weak ankles, throwing in a calf raise/press wouldn't hurt either.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What you do and want and what others want is subjective. You DON'T have to squat to have decent looking legs. Just because you don't do hip abduction/adduction doesn't make them BS. They are simple exercises for the legs.
    NOT EVERYONE is as HARDCORE as you.................
    You have a question about learning an exercise correctly, then ask, but don't ridicule what others want to know.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have one calf that is more defined than the other after being in a walking boot 5 years ago. I do calf extensions but they don't seem to be helping. Any suggestions?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have one calf that is more defined than the other after being in a walking boot 5 years ago. I do calf extensions but they don't seem to be helping. Any suggestions?
    How are you doing them and are you using weight resistance?