The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

I must be really dumb or something. I am not into working out, so I have my lil 5 pound weights and do my own thing. Not even a clue what its called. I need pictures to figure out what these are. I am so not getting it.

All the exercises I see make no sence to me. I need pictures. lol
    Not dumb, just learning. I know nothing about pedicures, but that doesn't make me dumb.:)

bodybuilding.com is a great source to see videos of exercises I mention. Just go to the SUPERSITE, then Exercises, then pick a body part.

You are so awesome! I need something different. I am losing WAY slower than I used to and I am working out WAY more, so maybe some strength training is in order!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome! I need something different. I am losing WAY slower than I used to and I am working out WAY more, so maybe some strength training is in order!
    Just do 1 strength movement for each body part to start. Use bodybuilding.com's reference to exercises so you can pick the ones you think you like to do then just start with those.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    BARBELL OR SMITH MACHINE SQUAT: Stand with your feet flat on the floor and about shoulder width apart (toes slightly turned out). Set the bar on the "meaty" part of your upper back. Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
    Slowly descend until the upper legs are parallel to the floor then push back up to the starting position. Make sure your knees travel the same direction as your toes. Maintain the body in an upright position and avoid leaning forward.

If done correctly, then there shouldn't be pain issues. Too many people lean forward and place the emphasis of the exercise on their lower back and barely bend at the knees.

Squats are the KING of leg exercises and can develop great legs if you work at them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • laureneva15
    Options
    I did the tricep extensions one arm at a time and was much better this time! could actually feel it in my right arm today, i really need to work on the strength in my left tho
    do you have any tips for reverse preacher lift? my wrists are really weak and they keep turning down when i lift the bar, even if the bar doesnt have any weights on it

now if only I can remember what some of the other exercises are during my workout if i dont have my brother there to show me what they are!

thanks so much for the advice :)
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Great tips on the squats! LOL... I have been doing them at work all the time. When I use the bathroom at work, I get done with everything, and then do 10-15 before I leave. LOL
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I did the tricep extensions one arm at a time and was much better this time! could actually feel it in my right arm today, i really need to work on the strength in my left tho
    do you have any tips for reverse preacher lift? my wrists are really weak and they keep turning down when i lift the bar, even if the bar doesnt have any weights on it

now if only I can remember what some of the other exercises are during my workout if i dont have my brother there to show me what they are!

Preacher curls? If you're doing them reverse (for forearm targeting) that means your palms are facing down. Is that right?
  • laureneva15
    Options

Preacher curls? If you're doing them reverse (for forearm targeting) that means your palms are facing down. Is that right?

yeah, palms were facing downwards
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You may have to exaggerate your hand position where you tilt your hands where your knuckles are pointed more towards your body.
    Take time to do strength building in the wrists once a week with wrist curls.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    O.K. I see a ton of this Kettle ball stuff. Whats it all about? What do you do with the thing?
  • laureneva15
    Options
    You may have to exaggerate your hand position where you tilt your hands where your knuckles are pointed more towards your body.
    Take time to do strength building in the wrists once a week with wrist curls.

ok, shall do, thanks muchly, will let you know how i come along with it :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    BARBELL OR SMITH MACHINE SQUAT: Stand with your feet flat on the floor and about shoulder width apart (toes slightly turned out). Set the bar on the "meaty" part of your upper back. Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
    Slowly descend until the upper legs are parallel to the floor then push back up to the starting position. Make sure your knees travel the same direction as your toes. Maintain the body in an upright position and avoid leaning forward.

If done correctly, then there shouldn't be pain issues. Too many people lean forward and place the emphasis of the exercise on their lower back and barely bend at the knees.

Squats are the KING of leg exercises and can develop great legs if you work at them.

Wow… so much information is left out of this. You cannot sum up a squat in a handful of sentences. Especially considering you are a trainer, you should take much more care in explain an exercise this complicated.

Feet:
    Keep your feet about shoulder width apart or just slightly wider. Your toes should be pointed about 30 degrees outward, not pointed straight ahead. Keep your weight on the heels of your feet throughout the exercise. Weight shifting to your toes can result in knee injury.

Grip:
    Grip the bar using a thumb-less grip with your hands as close together as your flexibility will permit. Wrapping your thumbs around the bar can cause wrist pain for some; if it does not cause you pain, a thumbed grip is fine. Keeping your hands as close together as possible will aid in creating a firm base for the bar to rest.

Bar Position:
    Start with the bar across the rear delts/mid-traps. You can place it lower if flexibility permits but a higher bar position will decrease your leverage and mechanical advantage and therefore reduce the weight you can lift. Narrow/widen your grip if necessary to achieve a more stable/comfortable bar position.

Shoulder Blades, Elbows & Chest:
    Pinch your shoulder blades together to contract your upper back muscles and provide a more firm base for the bar to rest. Pull your elbows up and back so that they stay behind the bar. If your elbows are under the bar then your arms will take the load instead of your back. Keep your chest up; this will keep your lower back extended and prevent rounding in the lower position of the squat.

Head & Neck:
    Keep your head forward with eyes straight ahead or slightly looking down (no more than 30 degrees). This will keep your neck and spine in a neutral position rather than bent down or looking up.

Descent:
    Your hips drive the movement not your knees. Start by pushing your hips back and allowing your knees to naturally bend. Depending on bar position, you will naturally lean forward; this is fine to a degree, just keep your chest up to protect your lower back. Back squats should not be performed 100% upright unless you are using a really high bar position (tops of your shoulders). While keeping your hips back as far as your flexibility permits, continue to lower yourself until the tops of your quads are parallel to the floor or lower (you will likely need someone else to check this). Your knees should not travel past your toes, if they do, you are not sitting back far enough likely because of tight hamstrings. Your knees should point in the same direction as your toes (about 30 degrees out).

Ascent:
    Once you are properly in the lower position, you can begin to ascend by pushing into the floor with your heels and forcing your hips up (imaging a string attached to your butt and it is being pulled straight up). While keeping your knees pointed out, allow them to naturally extend and drive your hips forward to return to the erect position.

Side Note:
    I would recommend against using a smith machine for squats (or most other exercises for that matter). The reason being is that the smith machine forces you into an unnatural fixed movement pattern, which can very easily result in injury if you do not set up under that bar correctly. Additionally, the smith machine removes the element of balance and therefore results in a less effective exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Wow… so much information is left out of this. You cannot sum up a squat in a handful of sentences. Especially considering you are a trainer, you should take much more care in explain an exercise this complicated.

Feet:
    Keep your feet about shoulder width apart or just slightly wider. Your toes should be pointed about 30 degrees outward, not pointed straight ahead. Keep your weight on the heels of your feet throughout the exercise. Weight shifting to your toes can result in knee injury.

Grip:
    Grip the bar using a thumb-less grip with your hands as close together as your flexibility will permit. Wrapping your thumbs around the bar can cause wrist pain for some; if it does not cause you pain, a thumbed grip is fine. Keeping your hands as close together as possible will aid in creating a firm base for the bar to rest.

Bar Position:
    Start with the bar across the rear delts/mid-traps. You can place it lower if flexibility permits but a higher bar position will decrease your leverage and mechanical advantage and therefore reduce the weight you can lift. Narrow/widen your grip if necessary to achieve a more stable/comfortable bar position.

Pinch your shoulder blades together to contract your upper back muscles and provide a more firm base for the bar to rest. Pull your elbows up and back so that they stay behind the bar. If your elbows are under the bar then your arms will take the load instead of your back. Keep your chest up; this will keep your lower back extended and prevent rounding in the lower position of the squat.

Head & Neck:
    Keep your head forward with eyes straight ahead or slightly looking down (no more than 30 degrees). This will keep your neck and spine in a neutral position rather than bent down or looking up.

Descent:
    Your hips drive the movement not your knees. Start by pushing your hips back and allowing your knees to naturally bend. Depending on bar position, you will naturally lean forward; this is fine to a degree, just keep your chest up to protect your lower back. Back squats should not be performed 100% upright unless you are using a really high bar position (tops of your shoulders). While keeping your hips back as far as your flexibility permits, continue to lower yourself until the tops of your quads are parallel to the floor or lower (you will likely need someone else to check this). Your knees should not travel past your toes, if they do, you are not sitting back far enough likely because of tight hamstrings. Your knees should point in the same direction as your toes (about 30 degrees out).

Ascent:
    Once you are properly in the lower position, you can begin to ascend by pushing into the floor with your heels and forcing your hips up (imaging a string attached to your butt and it is being pulled straight up). While keeping your knees pointed out, allow them to naturally extend and drive your hips forward to return to the erect position.

Side Note:
    I would recommend against using a smith machine for squats (or most other exercises for that matter). The reason being is that the smith machine forces you into an unnatural fixed movement pattern, which can very easily result in injury if you do not set up under that bar correctly. Additionally, the smith machine removes the element of balance and therefore results in a less effective exercise.
    I could summarize EXACTLY what to do when doing a squat down to a whole page (breathing, ab contraction,etc.), but a person could still do it wrong. Even with the detail you put down, to paralyze someone who is unfamiliar with squatting with step by step by step information could deter them from attempting it. The intent of the thread is to introduce and teach people about exercise and basic execution.
    As for not recommending the Smith machine, I will emphatically disagree. Many newbies don't work out with experienced SPOTTERS, and spotting especially on a squat takes special technique. With a Smith machine, an individual can SAFELY squat and if they get stuck, can engage the locks to get out. Unless you've actually trained people one on one and have actually experienced having to modify exercises for people for their programs, to dissuade someone by saying that the Smith Machine could cause injury, would be opinionated at best.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Feet:

Grip:

Bar Position:

Head & Neck:

Descent:

Ascent:

Side Note:
    I could summarize EXACTLY what to do when doing a squat down to a whole page (breathing, ab contraction,etc.), but a person could still do it wrong. Even with the detail you put down, to paralyze someone who is unfamiliar with squatting with step by step by step information could deter them from attempting it. The intent of the thread is to introduce and teach people about exercise and basic execution.
    As for not recommending the Smith machine, I will emphatically disagree. Many newbies don't work out with experienced SPOTTERS, and spotting especially on a squat takes special technique. With a Smith machine, an individual can SAFELY squat and if they get stuck, can engage the locks to get out. Unless you've actually trained people one on one and have actually experienced having to modify exercises for people for their programs, to dissuade someone by saying that the Smith Machine could cause injury, would be opinionated at best.

Look, I am not going to get into a pissing match with you. You can do whatever you want, but you should be telling people all the information. I would rather someone have all the information and decide not to do the exercise then attempt it improperly with less than half the information.

No, I have not purchased any fitness certifications, but I have coached people in the 5x5 method (one of the core exercises being the squat) so yes, I know how to instruct people and adapt an exercise to meet their needs and then train the weakness or reason for the adaptation. Everyone that I have taught how to squat (not many, roughly five people) started with free weights (just the bar) and now squat by themselves, without a spotter completely safely. The idea that free weights are unsafe without a spotter is ridiculous. Just about every commercial gym has either a full rack, half rack, or squat rack equipped with safety bars, making a squat completely safe, and I would argue safer, than with a spotter. Spotters can f’up, steel pretty much stays put.

Further, free weights being safer than a smith machine (or any machine) is not my opinion, it is a simple understanding of the human bio-mechanics. Everything from height, torso length and limb length effect a person’s movement patterns. It is these characteristics that determine things like bar position, bar path, joint angles, stance, etc, etc… and is the reason that no two people’s squat form will look identical. A fixed bar cannot account for these variations while a free bar can. Are there cases where a machine is safer than free weights? Yes, but I am not in the habit of listing out every possible exception to the rule, as that would be next to impossible.

Your certifications do not entitle you to CONDESCENSION, an inflated EGO, or the need to be AGGRESSIVE, towards everyone that has valid DISAGREEMENTS with your OPINION on this thread.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Look, I am not going to get into a pissing match with you. You can do whatever you want, but you should be telling people all the information. I would rather someone have all the information and decide not to do the exercise then attempt it improperly with less than half the information.
    No need to get into a pissing match. The information provided was sufficient. It doesn't have to be some long drawn out article. KISS method.
    No, I have not purchased any fitness certifications, but I have coached people in the 5x5 method (one of the core exercises being the squat) so yes, I know how to instruct people and adapt an exercise to meet their needs and then train the weakness or reason for the adaptation. Everyone that I have taught how to squat (not many, roughly five people) started with free weights (just the bar) and now squat by themselves, without a spotter completely safely. The idea that free weights are unsafe without a spotter is ridiculous. Just about every commercial gym has either a full rack, half rack, or squat rack equipped with safety bars, making a squat completely safe, and I would argue safer, than with a spotter. Spotters can f’up, steel pretty much stays put.
    Never said free weights WEREN'T safe. But I've never worked with any beginner on squats without standing behind them to ensure their safety first. Once people have the form down, then it's by all means squat by yourself.
    Further, free weights being safer than a smith machine (or any machine) is not my opinion, it is a simple understanding of the human bio-mechanics. Everything from height, torso length and limb length effect a person’s movement patterns. It is these characteristics that determine things like bar position, bar path, joint angles, stance, etc, etc… and is the reason that no two people’s squat form will look identical. A fixed bar cannot account for these variations while a free bar can. Are there cases where a machine is safer than free weights? Yes, but I am not in the habit of listing out every possible exception to the rule, as that would be next to impossible.
    I don't disagree with the bio mechanics, but to state that it's a fixed unnatural position would be false. Have you done hack squats on a machine or leg press? They are both fixed planes. Would you say the same for these? It's how you align the body and feet which makes the difference.
    Your certifications do not entitle you to CONDESCENSION, an inflated EGO, or the need to be AGGRESSIVE, towards everyone that has valid DISAGREEMENTS with your OPINION on this thread.
    Condescending? I didn't talk down to you. Aggressive? I think you have thin skin if that's what you feel. I never attacked you or said you were WRONG. I disagreed about the Smith Machine being unsafe and ineffective for a beginning squatter and dissuading them to use it. That's all. Don't know why you're in such a huff. Calmly reread the reply instead of getting defensive about it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the push ups advice. Did those today and could really feel the difference in my chest muscles activating more.

On the Squat, I have dumbbells. Is there a preferred position to hold them while doing a squat?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you for the push ups advice. Did those today and could really feel the difference in my chest muscles activating more.

On the Squat, I have dumbbells. Is there a preferred position to hold them while doing a squat?
    Usually at your sides, but you can hold them in the front too. To work your shoulders at the same time, hold them shoulder level, then squat and when you return to start, press the dumbells up to an overhead press.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have one calf that is more defined than the other after being in a walking boot 5 years ago. I do calf extensions but they don't seem to be helping. Any suggestions?
    How are you doing them and are you using weight resistance?

most days with 5 lbs in each hand, one foot at a time