The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Where does it hurt on your knees when you do them? On the top of the knee cap? Above the knee cap? Below the kneecap?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Below and on the outside. I can do squats and lunges as long as I'm really slow and careful (none of those squat jump things or leaping lunges you see in a group class). All the cardio machines are O.K. for me as far as pain/discomfort goes, I just have to take it easy on the treadmill and not run 2 days in a row. Oh, can I throw in that I have low back issues too?!!! I'm working on that with increased ab work but it does limit what I can do on a squat machine.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Below and on the outside. I can do squats and lunges as long as I'm really slow and careful (none of those squat jump things or leaping lunges you see in a group class). All the cardio machines are O.K. for me as far as pain/discomfort goes, I just have to take it easy on the treadmill and not run 2 days in a row. Oh, can I throw in that I have low back issues too?!!! I'm working on that with increased ab work but it does limit what I can do on a squat machine.
    Low back issues usually stem from tight hamstrings first. Are you flexible in them? As for your knees, sounds like the lateral/collateral ligament. When you squat do your knees come together? If they do this puts undue stress on them. Make sure that the knee travels directly over the toe. If your feet are straight and your knees are still coming together, angle your toes outward. Try not to let the knees pass the toes and keep your heels down. Raising the heels shifts the weight to knees more. Another option is to do leg presses if you're part of a gym.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    BASIC CRUNCH- Most people I see in the gym do this wrong. The most common mistake is that they interlace their fingers then clasp them behind their head. Then while doing the crunch, they pull with their arms forcing the head forward and "tucking" the chin on the chest. This usually leads to neck pain and minimal stimulation of crunching the abs.
    So instead try this: Laying on the floor with on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor, with fingers extended, just touch the sides of your temples. Now looking at the ceiling and keeping your chin up (think of your chin tied to a string on the ceiling) bring your shoulders off the mat WITHOUT lifting your hips or low back off the floor. Breathe out as you do this. If you can't go that high, that's okay. It means that you'll keep working at it. Breathe in as you return to the mat. 3 sets of up to 20 (if you can't do 20 don't fret) should be fine if you really contract the abs and not just "speed" through the motion. Just remember to keep your chin off your chest!

Oooo, I knew this one yay....What about the lower belly? I have a little bit of embarressing overhang. Will any ab exercise help or am I just going to cardio to get rid of that?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Oh, my are my hamstrings tight! I do specific stretches that the PT gave me for my back and they include stretching the hamstrings but I'm not seeing any improvement there at all. I do go to a gym and I use the leg press machine as well as the squat machine (Cybex and Free motion) but I feel like my quads could handle a LOT more weight than my knees and back can handle. I've used a trainer before and do sessions about once a quarter for new workouts and to check my form so I feel pretty confident I'm doing the squats correctly. It just doesn't seem like my legs are getting as toned as I would like! I want it now darn it! (lol, I know that it's gonna take more work) That's why I was hoping there were some other things you would recommend.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Try doing these then: 1 and 1/4 squats. From starting position squat down. Now instead of going all the way up, only go up 1/4 of the way. Then go back down to the bottom of the squat. Then squat back to start. That's 1 rep. Try doing 10 of those. You will have to drop the weight a bit, but it really intensely hits the quads.
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. It's super helpful.
    Now this isn't strictly exercise, but do you have any suggestions for how much protein a 25 yr old woman should eat to build muscle?
    Also super general (I know, everyone is different), when do you think people start seeing their efforts pay off?
    Again, thanks for all the information.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. It's super helpful.
    Now this isn't strictly exercise, but do you have any suggestions for how much protein a 25 yr old woman should eat to build muscle?
    Also super general (I know, everyone is different), when do you think people start seeing their efforts pay off?
    Again, thanks for all the information.
    Are you going to be on calorie deficit? Because to build muscle you need to be in surplus. And 1 gram per lb of lean body mass is the consensus and one I used to gain mass.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oooo, I knew this one yay....What about the lower belly? I have a little bit of embarressing overhang. Will any ab exercise help or am I just going to cardio to get rid of that?
    LYING LEG RAISES: This targets the lower abs. People with low back pain may want to try a one legged version of it since it does involve some lower back stabilization.
    Lie on your back on an exercise mat (or soft ground). Wedge your hands under your butt.
    Slightly raise your shoulders and feet off the floor (keep a slight bend in your knees) - that's the starting position.
    Using your abs, raise your legs to approx. 30 degrees. Keep the rest of your body steady.
    Then slowly lower your legs back to the starting position (don't let them touch the floor).
    Repeat until you complete your reps. Remember to breathe properly. Blow out on the raise and breathe in on the lowering.

You can strengthen you abs, but it won't directly reduce it.
  • seanoca1
    Options
    Ab Wheels making a comeback?

I'm seeing Ab Wheels in the gym and I've been wondering about their effectiveness. My current routine is 3 sets (50, 30, 20ish) on the incline Ab Bench followed by two sets on the Medicine Ball ab machine. Is the Wheel a better workout or will it work anything I'm not already hitting?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your words of advice regarding crunches and triceps. I have a question for you- in your opinion, is it more beneficial for a person to spend more time on strength training or cardio. I know they are both important, however where is the biggest bang for your buck. I worked with a trainer and she said to do strength training most days and cardio one or two days, which is contradictory of advice I've received before. I have a significant amount of weight to lose-70 lbs so I feel that cardio is whre I should spend my energy. I do both, but I workout on my lunch break and don't have a lot of time outside of my breaks during the week ( I work 40+ hrs a week and have a 2 yr old), so I want to spend my time as effectively as possible.

Thanks for your advice!
    You could still do both, but commit more time to cardio at the end of the workout. So let's just say you have an hour. Spend 15-20 minutes on lifting for one body part, then finish the workout with 35-40 min of cardio daily. The next day just switch to a different body part.
    My philosophy on what body part to work would be:
    Monday- train the body part you hate doing. Enthusiasm is highest at the beginning of the week, then go through each day (worst to favorite) so that by Friday, where most people have a tendency to put the exercise off because of the anticipation of the weekend, you train a body part you like to train and are much more apt to do it and have focus.
    Split it up: legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms. That's 5 separate workouts.

I've been meaning to read this post for later, and I'm glad I finally did! This is AWESOME advice!! I've been meaning to start strength training, and HATE doing my arms, so this will definitely help me get started!!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Batwings haha awesome. ....I noticed no mention of military push ups or diamond push ups. Both movements can be done anywhere and can help with the appearance of batwings. If you can't do regular ones start from your knees and if you cant do it like that lean against a wall or desk and try. This also works pecs and shoulders, this is a great addition to any workout program!

P.s. I'm not trolling just putting out info that's not on here
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ab Wheels making a comeback?

I'm seeing Ab Wheels in the gym and I've been wondering about their effectiveness. My current routine is 3 sets (50, 30, 20ish) on the incline Ab Bench followed by two sets on the Medicine Ball ab machine. Is the Wheel a better workout or will it work anything I'm not already hitting?
    They're pretty good too. They force you to really contract your abs through the movement. They can hurt your back if you do them wrong, but that can be with any exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Batwings haha awesome. ....I noticed no mention of military push ups or diamond push ups. Both movements can be done anywhere and can help with the appearance of batwings. If you can't do regular ones start from your knees and if you cant do it like that lean against a wall or desk and try. This also works pecs and shoulders, this is a great addition to any workout program!

Great for triceps, chest and shoulders. The only thing it that they hit the lateral head more than the long head, but they are a great addition to strong arms.
  • Hobbes76
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

Great for triceps, chest and shoulders. The only thing it that they hit the lateral head more than the long head, but they are a great addition to strong arms.

Yup I know how to get strong arms:-)
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your words of advice regarding crunches and triceps. I have a question for you- in your opinion, is it more beneficial for a person to spend more time on strength training or cardio. I know they are both important, however where is the biggest bang for your buck. I worked with a trainer and she said to do strength training most days and cardio one or two days, which is contradictory of advice I've received before. I have a significant amount of weight to lose-70 lbs so I feel that cardio is whre I should spend my energy. I do both, but I workout on my lunch break and don't have a lot of time outside of my breaks during the week ( I work 40+ hrs a week and have a 2 yr old), so I want to spend my time as effectively as possible.

Thanks for your advice!
    You could still do both, but commit more time to cardio at the end of the workout. So let's just say you have an hour. Spend 15-20 minutes on lifting for one body part, then finish the workout with 35-40 min of cardio daily. The next day just switch to a different body part.
    My philosophy on what body part to work would be:
    Monday- train the body part you hate doing. Enthusiasm is highest at the beginning of the week, then go through each day (worst to favorite) so that by Friday, where most people have a tendency to put the exercise off because of the anticipation of the weekend, you train a body part you like to train and are much more apt to do it and have focus.
    Split it up: legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms. That's 5 separate workouts.

I've been meaning to read this post for later, and I'm glad I finally did! This is AWESOME advice!! I've been meaning to start strength training, and HATE doing my arms, so this will definitely help me get started!!

Oh I am going to try this :) Is it best to do cardio after strength? I always do it the other way around because I hate cardio, am I doing wrong?
  • akgary
    akgary Posts: 52
    Options
    what is a great love handle reducer? i have always had them anything will help thanks a ton.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Oh I am going to try this :) Is it best to do cardio after strength? I always do it the other way around because I hate cardio, am I doing wrong?
    You need glycogen to lift, so it's best to do strength first then cardio.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    what is a great love handle reducer? i have always had them anything will help thanks a ton.
    Good diet and cardio. Know that's not what you want to hear, but you can't spot reduce any area with exercise.