The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your words of advice regarding crunches and triceps. I have a question for you- in your opinion, is it more beneficial for a person to spend more time on strength training or cardio. I know they are both important, however where is the biggest bang for your buck. I worked with a trainer and she said to do strength training most days and cardio one or two days, which is contradictory of advice I've received before. I have a significant amount of weight to lose-70 lbs so I feel that cardio is whre I should spend my energy. I do both, but I workout on my lunch break and don't have a lot of time outside of my breaks during the week ( I work 40+ hrs a week and have a 2 yr old), so I want to spend my time as effectively as possible.

Thanks for your advice!
    You could still do both, but commit more time to cardio at the end of the workout. So let's just say you have an hour. Spend 15-20 minutes on lifting for one body part, then finish the workout with 35-40 min of cardio daily. The next day just switch to a different body part.
    My philosophy on what body part to work would be:
    Monday- train the body part you hate doing. Enthusiasm is highest at the beginning of the week, then go through each day (worst to favorite) so that by Friday, where most people have a tendency to put the exercise off because of the anticipation of the weekend, you train a body part you like to train and are much more apt to do it and have focus.
    Split it up: legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms. That's 5 separate workouts.

I've been meaning to read this post for later, and I'm glad I finally did! This is AWESOME advice!! I've been meaning to start strength training, and HATE doing my arms, so this will definitely help me get started!!

Oh I am going to try this :) Is it best to do cardio after strength? I always do it the other way around because I hate cardio, am I doing wrong?

A good circuit training routine can knock both strength training and cardio out for you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    LYING LEG RAISES: This targets the lower abs. People with low back pain may want to try a one legged version of it since it does involve some lower back stabilization.
    Lie on your back on an exercise mat (or soft ground). Wedge your hands under your butt.
    Slightly raise your shoulders and feet off the floor (keep a slight bend in your knees) - that's the starting position.
    Using your abs, raise your legs to approx. 30 degrees. Keep the rest of your body steady.
    Then slowly lower your legs back to the starting position (don't let them touch the floor).
    Repeat until you complete your reps. Remember to breathe properly. Blow out on the raise and breathe in on the lowering.

I've been meaning to find out about this. At my dojo (I assist) I usually take the class through spelling out the alphabet forwards and backwards with their feet as pens keeping their legs together. I'll also occasionally mix in making circles with legs together, spreading the legs laterally and bringing back together, and flutter kicks. Are these types of variations that different from the standard move?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Try doing these then: 1 and 1/4 squats. From starting position squat down. Now instead of going all the way up, only go up 1/4 of the way. Then go back down to the bottom of the squat. Then squat back to start. That's 1 rep. Try doing 10 of those. You will have to drop the weight a bit, but it really intensely hits the quads.

Oh, that sounds good! Thanks, I'll try them on Friday the next time I lift!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Batwings haha awesome. ....I noticed no mention of military push ups or diamond push ups. Both movements can be done anywhere and can help with the appearance of batwings. If you can't do regular ones start from your knees and if you cant do it like that lean against a wall or desk and try. This also works pecs and shoulders, this is a great addition to any workout program!

P.s. I'm not trolling just putting out info that's not on here
    Great for triceps, chest and shoulders. The only thing it that they hit the lateral head more than the long head, but they are a great addition to strong arms.

What is a military or diamond push up? I don't know that term. Also, I know to not lift everyday but you can do your abs everyday. Can you do pushups everyday since you are using the weight of your own body or treat them like weightlifting since it is a strength move. (Been meaning to ask that question for awhile!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to find out about this. At my dojo (I assist) I usually take the class through spelling out the alphabet forwards and backwards with their feet as pens keeping their legs together. I'll also occasionally mix in making circles with legs together, spreading the legs laterally and bringing back together, and flutter kicks. Are these types of variations that different from the standard move?
    Slight variations, but still effective. Contracting the lower abs is a short movement so most of the work ends up being isometric rather than isotonic. But that's okay since we want to build strength and NOT get larger ab muscles.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Slight variations, but still effective. Contracting the lower abs is a short movement so most of the work ends up being isometric rather than isotonic. But that's okay since we want to build strength and NOT get larger ab muscles.

Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What is a military or diamond push up? I don't know that term. Also, I know to not lift everyday but you can do your abs everyday. Can you do pushups everyday since you are using the weight of your own body or treat them like weightlifting since it is a strength move. (Been meaning to ask that question for awhile!)
    You let your thumbs and fore fingers touch together in the shape of a "diamond" (looks more like an acorn to me) and keeping your elbows close to your body and hands just in the middle of your chest you do a push up.
    Abs you can do everyday, but there's really no need to.
    You should rest a body part after working it out the next day. You can do push ups everyday, and that will just work on your muscular endurance and not strength.
  • jillybean18353
    Options
    bump
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    A good circuit training routine can knock both strength training and cardio out for you.
    [/quote]

Thanks both for you info - I will be switching my routine!!! I do circuit train 3 times a week, so that is good news! Thanks for your help
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Oooo, I knew this one yay....What about the lower belly? I have a little bit of embarressing overhang. Will any ab exercise help or am I just going to cardio to get rid of that?
    LYING LEG RAISES: This targets the lower abs. People with low back pain may want to try a one legged version of it since it does involve some lower back stabilization.
    Lie on your back on an exercise mat (or soft ground). Wedge your hands under your butt.
    Slightly raise your shoulders and feet off the floor (keep a slight bend in your knees) - that's the starting position.
    Using your abs, raise your legs to approx. 30 degrees. Keep the rest of your body steady.
    Then slowly lower your legs back to the starting position (don't let them touch the floor).
    Repeat until you complete your reps. Remember to breathe properly. Blow out on the raise and breathe in on the lowering.

You can strengthen you abs, but it won't directly reduce it.

Thank...I've had 4 children and my lower abs just feel like the strength has been zapped out of them. How many reps would be good for a beginner?
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    You let your thumbs and fore fingers touch together in the shape of a "diamond" (looks more like an acorn to me) and keeping your elbows close to your body and hands just in the middle of your chest you do a push up.
    Abs you can do everyday, but there's really no need to.
    You should rest a body part after working it out the next day. You can do push ups everyday, and that will just work on your muscular endurance and not strength.

Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Thank...I've had 4 children and my lower abs just feel like the strength has been zapped out of them. How many reps would be good for a beginner?
    Do as many as you can for one set. Then use that as a start point.
  • sparky1514117
    sparky1514117 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    STATIONARY LUNGE: The correct starting position for a stationary lunge is to take a wide straddle stance with one foot in front of the other. Toes point forward with shoulders aligned directly over hips. Keep eyes up and shoulders retracted while drawing your belly button back towards your spine to tighten your core. Maintain this position throughout the range of motion. Slowly lower towards the floor while controlling the movement of your front knee. Ideally your knee should track over your 2nd-3rd toe while not moving beyond your foot. Keep your body weight distributed in your front heel and push up to starting position without locking your knee at the top of the movement.

While lunging be careful not to look down and drop your torso forwards. The movement pattern is straight up and down, not down and forward. Control is very important in a lunge and you should only descend as far as you can with proper alignment. The pace is slow and steady and never lock-out your knees. Build up to three sets of 15 on each leg or add hand weights or a barbell to increase the level of difficulty.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I am wondering about workout DVD's... the 30 Day Shred specifically. I have always read that you shouldn't work the same muscle group day after day. Shoud I break up the 30 Day Shred and do it every other day as opposed to daily?

In case you were wondering what the 30 Day Shred is... it is a workout that works upper, lower, abs, accompanied with cardio. The workout is a good workout, but I am trying to build some muscle. I don't think this is going to help me build muscle if I am doing it every day. Any suggestions? Am I wrong? To add, this is considered circuit training.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am wondering about workout DVD's... the 30 Day Shred specifically. I have always read that you shouldn't work the same muscle group day after day. Shoud I break up the 30 Day Shred and do it every other day as opposed to daily?

In case you were wondering what the 30 Day Shred is... it is a workout that works upper, lower, abs, accompanied with cardio. The workout is a good workout, but I am trying to build some muscle. I don't think this is going to help me build muscle if I am doing it every day. Any suggestions? Am I wrong? To add, this is considered circuit training.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    I pm'd you.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This thread is informational and entertaining. Thanks!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Try doing these then: 1 and 1/4 squats. From starting position squat down. Now instead of going all the way up, only go up 1/4 of the way. Then go back down to the bottom of the squat. Then squat back to start. That's 1 rep. Try doing 10 of those. You will have to drop the weight a bit, but it really intensely hits the quads.

Oh, that sounds good! Thanks, I'll try them on Friday the next time I lift!

Did these today and they were HARD!! I was surprised at how much more difficult it was. I had to drop my weight 10 lbs. on the first set and 20 lbs. on the second. My bahooney is feeling it for sure and my quads were screaming! Whoo-hoo, thanks!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Did these today and they were HARD!! I was surprised at how much more difficult it was. I had to drop my weight 10 lbs. on the first set and 20 lbs. on the second. My bahooney is feeling it for sure and my quads were screaming! Whoo-hoo, thanks!!
    Yep. One of the best ways to tax a muscle without having to use a lot of weight. Good job.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Oh, my are my hamstrings tight! I do specific stretches that the PT gave me for my back and they include stretching the hamstrings but I'm not seeing any improvement there at all. I do go to a gym and I use the leg press machine as well as the squat machine (Cybex and Free motion) but I feel like my quads could handle a LOT more weight than my knees and back can handle. I've used a trainer before and do sessions about once a quarter for new workouts and to check my form so I feel pretty confident I'm doing the squats correctly. It just doesn't seem like my legs are getting as toned as I would like! I want it now darn it! (lol, I know that it's gonna take more work) That's why I was hoping there were some other things you would recommend.

If your hamstrings are tight, then I can almost guarantee that your squat form is not good. Your hips will not travel back as far which will cause your knees to travel past your toes, which will tax your knees more and can lead to more serious knee problems. To begin to squat properly, you need to strengthen and loosen your hamstrings. Hamstring stretches will be good for this as well as some weighted exercises like good mornings and box squats (Google them).

What you should not do is ignore the problem and focus on your quads. Most people are quad dominant as it is, so targeting your quads will not help your hamstrings at all.