The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Saving for later. This thread is great, thank you for all this information.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    this thread is great ...keeping it going
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, I need to come back to this thread .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    SCORPION ON A STABILITY BALL- Here's a great exercise for your core and also helps with flexibility in the hips. You can also do it on the floor if you don't have ball, but as you kick through, use the opposite arm to touch your ankle. Ex: touch right leg with left arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGWhZk5_0ac&feature=related

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,414 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pam3
    Options
    thanks ...i have hips issues and this exercise will help with the stretch....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    SPIDERMAN PUSHUPS- A twist to the push up that requires more balance and strength.
    Start in the standard push up position, with your hands under your shoulders and your body in a straight line
    As you lower your torso towards the floor, bend your elbows out to the side.
    At the same time, lift one foot off the floor, bend the knee to the side up to hip level.
    As you bend your elbows out to the side and lower your torso toward the floor,
    Repeat this action, alternating side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSoigipsZM8
  • Pam3
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • brooklyn_87
    brooklyn_87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump for Christmas week!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    SPIDERMAN PUSHUPS- A twist to the push up that requires more balance and strength.
    Start in the standard push up position, with your hands under your shoulders and your body in a straight line
    As you lower your torso towards the floor, bend your elbows out to the side.
    At the same time, lift one foot off the floor, bend the knee to the side up to hip level.
    As you bend your elbows out to the side and lower your torso toward the floor,
    Repeat this action, alternating side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSoigipsZM8

Oooo, going to have to give that a try!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Hey Ninerbuff, got a question for you. I did a class on Saturday with tons of pushups/planks/mountain climbers/ etc and my wrists were KILLING me by the end of the class. I couldn't even do the last set of pushups because they hurt so much. What can I do to modify in the future or was my form just bad? We do these on a step with one riser for what it's worth.

Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well they kill because of compression. Really the only way to help is to reduce the resistance you're using. Maybe on things like mountain climbers, you can go up on your fingertips. Or if you have really thick gloves, do the push ups on your knuckles. I've even used thick sponges (household) to protect my knuckles from knuckle push ups. Give that a try and let me know.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    I'll try the fingertip thing next time. I don't wear gloves in this class because I sweat so much and because we aren't using weights. All the strength comes from our own body resistance (and that's enough!) Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll try the fingertip thing next time. I don't wear gloves in this class because I sweat so much and because we aren't using weights. All the strength comes from our own body resistance (and that's enough!) Thanks!
    Then you may need to incline the bench higher to reduce the resistance. Just a thought.

IDEA Fitness member
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I have batwings like no one's business.
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Bump
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Are the weight machines a waste of time? Should I be using mostly free weights?
  • Pam3
    Options

i would like to know too
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No. For the beginner it's one of the safest ways to start especially if they can't afford to have a trainer to watch and spot them. The biggest drawback I see from them is the fixed plane and that people become dependent on them for exercise, meaning if they don't have access to them, then they don't know how to exercise.
    Eventually it's important to learn how to do free weights and body weight exercise to not only change the workout, but also to put stresses on the body that machines don't hit.
    Most machines are bilateral, meaning that even though you are using 2 joints to move it, one may be stronger. Unilateral machines are better.