The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a question just something I recently read from Charles Poliquin, so I experimented with it and it seems quite true. Along the lines of Leg Extensions, many of us probably do Leg Curls on a machine of some kind. Many gyms have multiple kinds or brands. What Charles said is that the machines are all slightly different in how the machine moves. He said he's found that each manufacturer tends to make the curl pivot a little bit differently which can stimulate your hamstring differently. I was using a Hammer Strength standing leg curl machine for months so I tried this by using a Lifetime Lying Leg Curl machine. To my surprise my Hamstring were sore afterwards and I dedicate a good amount of time to my leg work, so it's not from a lack of work just a different stimulus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a question just something I recently read from Charles Poliquin, so I experimented with it and it seems quite true. Along the lines of Leg Extensions, many of us probably do Leg Curls on a machine of some kind. Many gyms have multiple kinds or brands. What Charles said is that the machines are all slightly different in how the machine moves. He said he's found that each manufacturer tends to make the curl pivot a little bit differently which can stimulate your hamstring differently. I was using a Hammer Strength standing leg curl machine for months so I tried this by using a Lifetime Lying Leg Curl machine. To my surprise my Hamstring were sore afterwards and I dedicate a good amount of time to my leg work, so it's not from a lack of work just a different stimulus.
    Well lying leg curls are actually one of the best hamstring exercises. But yes different machines do hit the muscle differently depending on the angle, seating position and even how your feet set in them.
  • mountiewife
    Options
    Don't really have a question.....but wanted to save this thread for reference. Thanks for all the info!! Very informative for a TOTAL beginner like me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Don't really have a question.....but wanted to save this thread for reference. Thanks for all the info!! Very informative for a TOTAL beginner like me.
    I'll keep adding an exercise every few days or so. Thanks for reading.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    SEATED CABLE ROW WITH A V BAR Part of having a V shape is having a good upper/middle back. Here is a good exercise so strengthen and help build muscle/sculpt the back.

Sit down on a low pulley row machine and put your feet against the foot rests. Bend your knees slightly and hold the V-grip with your arms almost extended. Keep your back straight and pretty upright throughout the entire exercise (don't lean back or forward).
    Then pull the V-grip to your chest like illustrated above and exhale. You can lean back a little bit but the idea is to keep your upper body still. Keep your shoulders low and back, so that you back muscles are fully contracted when the grip touches your chest. Also keep your shoulders in this position when you extend your arms.
    Extend your arms again and inhale at the same time.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this one-just did it yesterday trying to remember how the trainer said to do it the most effectively!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for this one-just did it yesterday trying to remember how the trainer said to do it the most effectively!
    Lol, you could always do it with 1 1/4 reps too!!!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Uh, no! Actually, my upper body is looking really good. Now if you just had some information on getting rid of loose skin...

I do have a question that came to me this morning in spin class. What is the effect on your body of going anaerobic during a cardio workout? During classes where I go all out and it's a huge interval ride, I will go anaerobic several times (I wear a HRM and really use it to get the most out of my workouts). The great thing is I burn more calories during that class than I will in a lower intensity endurance class. Does this hurt my fat burning or help it? I'm well under 100% maximum effort (and even below what I call the "throw up songs") but it's definitely more than 85%.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Uh, no! Actually, my upper body is looking really good. Now if you just had some information on getting rid of loose skin...

I do have a question that came to me this morning in spin class. What is the effect on your body of going anaerobic during a cardio workout? During classes where I go all out and it's a huge interval ride, I will go anaerobic several times (I wear a HRM and really use it to get the most out of my workouts). The great thing is I burn more calories during that class than I will in a lower intensity endurance class. Does this hurt my fat burning or help it? I'm well under 100% maximum effort (and even below what I call the "throw up songs") but it's definitely more than 85%.
    Actually it's good for you system for burning fat. You don't burn it when you're doing it, but the rise in your resting metabolic rate will be higher. And we burn more fat at rest much more than with exercise. That's why BMR's are in the 1000's and up. This is called HIIT training and I encourage all people to do some form of it.
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Great news, thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great news, thanks!
    So how has spin been?
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    OK, I just got the news from my Orthopedic surgeon that I cannot do any exercise with my right shoulder since I have a bicep injury. WAAAAAAH! That cuts out a lot of what I've been doing. So my question is, other than cardio like running, biking, elliptical do you have any options for me? I really want to shore up my upper body and this just sucks! Should I just do weights with lower body and waist? Ideas would be welcome.

P.S. I do go to PT next week, but want to keep up and not be a slacker.
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Great news, thanks!
    So how has spin been?

Spin is always awesome! Had another interval ride this morning and those are my favorites. Can't really stand the endurance rides we do on Fridays.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    OK, I just got the news from my Orthopedic surgeon that I cannot do any exercise with my right shoulder since I have a bicep injury. WAAAAAAH! That cuts out a lot of what I've been doing. So my question is, other than cardio like running, biking, elliptical do you have any options for me? I really want to shore up my upper body and this just sucks! Should I just do weights with lower body and waist? Ideas would be welcome.

P.S. I do go to PT next week, but want to keep up and not be a slacker.
    I had elbow surgery to remove bone spurs and couldn't use my upper body for about 6 weeks. So I concentrated on just working out my lower body. I could still leg press, leg curl and do calves. In fact, the HARDER you can work your lower body, the higher you can increase your metabolism and still lose weight. Go for 4x6 reps on most of them so you can use a heavy weight. Then a week later switch up the reps to 4x12. Then try 3x25. I swear this type of mix up will kick your *kitten* and probably give you some really conditioned legs.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Quick question:
    What benefits are there, if any, of doing multiple rounds of a tabata routine? I'm trying to put together a bodyweight workout routine for myself while I'm without gym equipment. I'm hoping to avoid losing as much strength and mass as is possible given that I don't have weights. My thinking was that tabata with various calisthenics targeting the various muscle groups was the best way to go, but I want to know how many of the 4 minute rounds I should do. If I should do multiple rounds, how much, if any, time should I take between rounds?

Thank you in advance.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Quick question:
    What benefits are there, if any, of doing multiple rounds of a tabata routine? I'm trying to put together a bodyweight workout routine for myself while I'm without gym equipment. I'm hoping to avoid losing as much strength and mass as is possible given that I don't have weights. My thinking was that tabata with various calisthenics targeting the various muscle groups was the best way to go, but I want to know how many of the 4 minute rounds I should do. If I should do multiple rounds, how much, if any, time should I take between rounds?

Thank you in advance.
    I usually have a class do 30 minutes max. So whatever you can do in thirty. I usually end up doing 4 rounds with them because we warm up and cool down, plus I rest them 2 minutes between each round.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Hmm, ok. I was planning to work my way up to 5 rounds (doing 2 at the moment) so I guess that wasn't too far off the mark. Only two minutes between is surprising to me, I guess I had assumed it would be more than that. Thanks!

PS: Who ever decided to put mountain climbers, burpees, dive bombers, and pushups as one of my tabata routines is a %@#%*(&@#%*(& %@#*&(*@#%&. What's that you say? I was the one that did that? Well...crud.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hmm, ok. I was planning to work my way up to 5 rounds (doing 2 at the moment) so I guess that wasn't too far off the mark. Only two minutes between is surprising to me, I guess I had assumed it would be more than that. Thanks!

PS: Who ever decided to put mountain climbers, burpees, dive bombers, and pushups as one of my tabata routines is a %@#%*(&@#%*(& %@#*&(*@#%&. What's that you say? I was the one that did that? Well...crud.
    If you can do more than fine, but I chose 4 because it's a time limit class. BTW, excellent choice of exercises. You could also do kettlebell swings, jump tucks, skaters, side shuffles, box jumps to the mix.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    If you can do more than fine, but I chose 4 because it's a time limit class. BTW, excellent choice of exercises. You could also do kettlebell swings, jump tucks, skaters, side shuffles, box jumps to the mix.

Thanks, right now I have 3 workouts that I do in order, and I take one day off from this a week.

A) Mountain Climbers, Burpees, Dive Bombers, Pushups
    B) Seals, Jump Squats, Squat Kicks, Lat Pulldowns (on the one crappy universal in the cardio area that doesn't have enough weight...but I can't do pullups yet)
    C) Flutter Kicks, Bicycle Crunches, Boxer Leglifts with a hip raise (basically BL's plus reverse crunches), Leg Tucks.

I'm trying to get as balanced a workout as possible since I don't have weights.

I'd have to buy a kettleball since they don't have them in my workout area, and because of my weight I'd worry about the impact of jump tucks, but I'll definitely look at the other ones. I want to get good at those exercises because they're ones I can use to run my karate class into the ground when I get back to NY in January.

Hopefully I can get up to a fitness level where I can do 5. Right now even just 2 is pretty killer.

Thanks!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump