The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options

most days with 5 lbs in each hand, one foot at a time
    I've had success with clients doing this. 1 set 75 reps. Start the set and do as many as you can. Rest. Restart. Keep going till you hit 75.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I don't have any questions for you but I am really enjoying your explainations and assistance!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I don't have any questions for you but I am really enjoying your explainations and assistance!
    Pleasure. Feel free to ask about an exercise if you need to.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the push ups advice. Did those today and could really feel the difference in my chest muscles activating more.

On the Squat, I have dumbbells. Is there a preferred position to hold them while doing a squat?
    Usually at your sides, but you can hold them in the front too. To work your shoulders at the same time, hold them shoulder level, then squat and when you return to start, press the dumbells up to an overhead press.

Thank you, I figured the sides were fine, but wanted to check if there was a better position. Ugh, hate the overhead press! (but I do them :grumble:, separately)
  • change_happens
    Options
    Hi. When you are doing lunges, which leg is the primary focus? The leg that is behind or the thigh that is parallel to the floor? I seem to feel it most in the leg that is pushed back. (Did that even make sense)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have a multi part question, I hope it fits the criteria for this thread :smile:
    I do cardio everyday ( badminton tennis ect ) also walk 3 miles everyday,
    4 days a week I do free weights curls, lunges and squats with weights ect
    and 3 days a week I do the p90x AB workout,
    is this a good balance to you? should I be doing more weights? less cardio?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hi. When you are doing lunges, which leg is the primary focus? The leg that is behind or the thigh that is parallel to the floor? I seem to feel it most in the leg that is pushed back. (Did that even make sense)
    Primary should be the the leg in front. Are you doing stationary lunges or alternating?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a multi part question, I hope it fits the criteria for this thread :smile:
    I do cardio everyday ( badminton tennis ect ) also walk 3 miles everyday,
    4 days a week I do free weights curls, lunges and squats with weights ect
    and 3 days a week I do the p90x AB workout,
    is this a good balance to you? should I be doing more weights? less cardio?
    It's fine, although you don't mention that you lift for back, shoulders or chest. I would add at least 2 exercises for each of those minimum to work a balanced body.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I all 3 back shoulder and chest 2 exercises each
    3 rep of 12 each (got the work out from a fitness mag)

I love this thread thank you for sharing so much knowledge
    with everyone :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    INCLINE PRONE REAR LATERAL RAISE- Great exercise that targets the posterior deltoids (back of shoulders). Set an incline bench between 35-40 degree angle. Lay prone (facing the bench) with feet flat on the floor. Now holding a pair of dumbells and with your arms slightly bent, retract your shoulders back keeping your arms out wide. Try thinking about "touching" your elbows together behind your back. It's not possible (unless you're a contortionist). Going back down, think of yourself hugging a tree. Try not to straighten your arms at all since this can put pressure on the elbow joint. If done correctly, you should feel this in your rear shoulders, some upper back and also some of your trapzieus (rear bottom of your neck).
    This exercise strengthens the rear delts and helps with posture. If you have shoulders that slump forward, work on a computer at a desk alot, suffer from pain around the neck area, it can be because you lack the strength to keep your shoulders back. Strengthening the rear delts helps to keep your shoulders back. Posture is mostly habitual, but stronger rear delts will assist in having better posture.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    INCLINE PRONE REAR LATERAL RAISE- Great exercise that targets the posterior deltoids (back of shoulders). Set an incline bench between 35-40 degree angle. Lay prone (facing the bench) with feet flat on the floor. Now holding a pair of dumbells and with your arms slightly bent, retract your shoulders back keeping your arms out wide. Try thinking about "touching" your elbows together behind your back. It's not possible (unless you're a contortionist). Going back down, think of yourself hugging a tree. Try not to straighten your arms at all since this can put pressure on the elbow joint. If done correctly, you should feel this in your rear shoulders, some upper back and also some of your trapzieus (rear bottom of your neck).
    This exercise strengthens the rear delts and helps with posture. If you have shoulders that slump forward, work on a computer at a desk alot, suffer from pain around the neck area, it can be because you lack the strength to keep your shoulders back. Strengthening the rear delts helps to keep your shoulders back. Posture is mostly habitual, but stronger rear delts will assist in having better posture.

I so need this! I don't have an incline bench, and not in a position to get one soon. Any other way to do this one, say with a chair, or simply standing a certain way?
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Fabulous thread. I look forward to reading it and getting caught up (or using as a reference). Many thanks, hope to return the favor at some point.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My trainer is having me do a bunch of stuff on a Bucu (sp? It's like 1/2 an exercise ball on the floor) what is the benefit of this. Her English is so-so, and the programs have been going well, and she is good at correcting my form, but she can't seem to properly explain (without using Russian) why using this blasted thing has an advantage.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I so need this! I don't have an incline bench, and not in a position to get one soon. Any other way to do this one, say with a chair, or simply standing a certain way?
    Keep a flat back, bend at the waist to a 40 degree or lower angle. You can sit in the chair and lean over your thighs and do it to, but don't let your back round out.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Fabulous thread. I look forward to reading it and getting caught up (or using as a reference). Many thanks, hope to return the favor at some point.
    Get results to return the favor.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My trainer is having me do a bunch of stuff on a Bucu (sp? It's like 1/2 an exercise ball on the floor) what is the benefit of this. Her English is so-so, and the programs have been going well, and she is good at correcting my form, but she can't seem to properly explain (without using Russian) why using this blasted thing has an advantage.
    In my professional opinion it's a gimmick. "Functional training" was initially created to help with rehab. Somehow it drifted into the Fitness industry and now the focus of many a new and "greedy" trainer is this type of training. The whole focus is the "core" and making it strong. Some also claim it will make you perform better at your chosen sport.
    The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research recently released a study on it and they found no correlation on core stability and functional movement improving performance.
    She has you training on a Bosu ball. I RARELY use it and it's not because I don't know how to, but because like the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research states, it doesn't improve performance and no program should be built around it. You want a strong "core" do squats, deadlifts, and barbell rows with a weight that challenges you. On a Bosu, you can't use the weights you need because you're just trying to "stabilize" yourself. I've seen some trainers take non injured 250lb men on them for dumbell chest presses with just 10lbs in each hand! What a waste of time.

If you can get a copy of it, here's the actual study:

Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (2011;25[1],252-61

It's your money. If she can't explain why doing exercises on a Bosu ball is any more effective then traditional free weight exercises, you need to get your money back or dictate to her you want more traditional weight training. If it sounds like I'm critical, it's because I am. The Fitness industry is booming and everyday some NEW gimmick comes up claiming it can transform you better. It's about making big money. Thing is the body hasn't changed in thousands of years and the basic principals of strength gain and conditioning still apply.

Good luck.
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    In my professional opinion it's a gimmick. "Functional training" was initially created to help with rehab. Somehow it drifted into the Fitness industry and now the focus of many a new and "greedy" trainer is this type of training. The whole focus is the "core" and making it strong. Some also claim it will make you perform better at your chosen sport.
    The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research recently released a study on it and they found no correlation on core stability and functional movement improving performance.
    She has you training on a Bosu ball. I RARELY use it and it's not because I don't know how to, but because like the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research states, it doesn't improve performance and no program should be built around it. You want a strong "core" do squats, deadlifts, and barbell rows with a weight that challenges you. On a Bosu, you can't use the weights you need because you're just trying to "stabilize" yourself. I've seen some trainers take non injured 250lb men on them for dumbell chest presses with just 10lbs in each hand! What a waste of time.

If you can get a copy of it, here's the actual study:

Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (2011;25[1],252-61

It's your money. If she can't explain why doing exercises on a Bosu ball is any more effective then traditional free weight exercises, you need to get your money back or dictate to her you want more traditional weight training. If it sounds like I'm critical, it's because I am. The Fitness industry is booming and everyday some NEW gimmick comes up claiming it can transform you better. It's about making big money. Thing is the body hasn't changed in thousands of years and the basic principals of strength gain and conditioning still apply.

Good luck.

Sorry for the confusion I am not doing a Bosu Ball training program. I am doing the regular stuff: walking lunges with weights, pull-ups (on a machine with assistance), Squats with weights, Leg Extensions, Leg Presses, Push-Ups, Lateral Pull-Down, Planks, Cardio, etc.. But she also has be do squats with lighter weights on the Bosu Ball. It is the only exercise we do that I don't understand, when I ask her what makes this different, she does explain, just not in a way I understand her (YAY Language Barrier). But you don't think there is any benefit, interesting. I like her training, she is by far the best trainer I have had, sets good goals, pushes me and gives me a schedule of what exercises she wants me to do during the week when I don't see her. This clearly has nothing to do with her making the company money, it is one of many exercises we do, I was just wondering what it worked differently than a squat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Sorry for the confusion I am not doing a Bosu Ball training program. I am doing the regular stuff: walking lunges with weights, pull-ups (on a machine with assistance), Squats with weights, Leg Extensions, Leg Presses, Push-Ups, Lateral Pull-Down, Planks, Cardio, etc.. But she also has be do squats with lighter weights on the Bosu Ball. It is the only exercise we do that I don't understand, when I ask her what makes this different, she does explain, just not in a way I understand her (YAY Language Barrier). But you don't think there is any benefit, interesting. I like her training, she is by far the best trainer I have had, sets good goals, pushes me and gives me a schedule of what exercises she wants me to do during the week when I don't see her. This clearly has nothing to do with her making the company money, it is one of many exercises we do, I was just wondering what it worked differently than a squat.
    Well then that's good. Sounds like she has you on a traditional program of strength. As for the Bosu ball, because it's an unstable surface, your body has to recruit more muscles to balance yourself on it. The theory is that if you activate more muscle, the you'll strengthen yourself overall. It's okay to use on occasion to add a little variety. I see the merits of it to help prevent injury and help with rehabilitation. But I've never been sold that it's better than traditional exercises.
    I had one lady tell me, "You should see how well I balance on it!", my response was "That's great! How do you apply that you any everyday activity, or sport you do?" She said, "I don't".
    My point is why spend time doing something that has no effect on your daily life? Wouldn't it be more productive to use that time to reach the goal you're paying for?
    Sorry for the rant. I just feel that people's time is important and I don't like seeing money wasted on gimmicks. I'm sure she's good. But you do have the right to tell her if the Bosu ball stuff isn't what you want to do, to fill that time with something else like TABATA PROTOCOL for example.
  • Fochizzy
    Options

Well then that's good. Sounds like she has you on a traditional program of strength. As for the Bosu ball, because it's an unstable surface, your body has to recruit more muscles to balance yourself on it. The theory is that if you activate more muscle, the you'll strengthen yourself overall. It's okay to use on occasion to add a little variety. I see the merits of it to help prevent injury and help with rehabilitation. But I've never been sold that it's better than traditional exercises.
    I had one lady tell me, "You should see how well I balance on it!", my response was "That's great! How do you apply that you any everyday activity, or sport you do?" She said, "I don't".
    My point is why spend time doing something that has no effect on your daily life? Wouldn't it be more productive to use that time to reach the goal you're paying for?
    Sorry for the rant. I just feel that people's time is important and I don't like seeing money wasted on gimmicks. I'm sure she's good. But you do have the right to tell her if the Bosu ball stuff isn't what you want to do, to fill that time with something else like TABATA PROTOCOL for example.

::hides from Tabata:: My poor abs, last time I did Tabata I had trouble sitting up. We determined too advanced right now and went back to bicycle kick crunches. I have been told there is more tabata types beyond abs, and I fear, oh yes I fear, for it is in my future she assures me.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    bump