The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Steady state cardio is still the most effective in some trainers 'opinion'.

Luckily, we have these things called 'science' and 'facts'

The answer is strength training, but addind interval training to this would be better.

The most effective workout for beginners to gain strength is three whole body workouts a week. To make best use of your time, these should all be compound moves, and look at supersets to make better use of your time and up the intensity.

There are many bodyweight metcon workouts you could do, for ten minutes in the mornings, next to you kid's crib or other safe area where you can watch them but not tread on them
    Enforcing your belief in what you think is BEST for everyone because it's best for you, doesn't get them to listen. Some people can't do HIIT training. You'd be better off starting your own "Strength: the only exercise you should do" thread and refrain from trying to get me into a debate with you. It's called trolling.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I ended up having to do that when I was doing the tricep extensions. My right arm I seem ok with when I do that. But as soon as I put any weight into the move on my left side my arm just goes jelly and I can't lift it. My brother said it might be because I'm pausing at the bottom for too long, but I tried doing it quicker and it still made no difference really. (I was only using 3kgs doing them yesterday)
    You're probably right handed so it was easier. You just need to concentrate on strengthening the left.
    Yeah I had one of the trainers after a class watch me to do lunges and squats, but being after a class was already fatigued.
    Was doing lunges today cos it was leg workout day but I just felt like I was doing it wrong I seemed to be swinging my shoulders or my hips a little I'm not sure how to explain that without showing you what I mean sorry, it seems like i'm twisting. Should I have my shoulders pulled back during both? I know I am supposed to keep my head lifted up as that is supposed to help with balance. Does it matter how quickly or slow you go doing them? Cos I don't want to concentrate on sped I would rather know I have the technique down to begin with.
    Yes keep shoulders back. Good rule of thumb is 1 sec on the concentric (contraction) and 2 sec on the eccentric (extension). On a squat that would be 2 sec on the decent, 1 sec on the push up with your legs.
    Also deadlifts, I saw those mentioned earlier. Are you supposed to start with your knees bent?
    If especially coming from the floor, yes.
    And is it better to be doing sitted or standing calf raises? My brother (who is training me and has made up my workout routine for me) has got me doing sitting calf raises, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. I keep hitting the maximum rep in each set so have upped my weights (now on 30kgs, started at 20kgs last week) and doing the 30kgs today I still didn't feel anything.

Sorry, I'm one of those newbies that is full of questions that likes using mutliple sources for information. hehe.
    Seated targets the soleus more than standing which target the gastrocnemius. If you're not feeling it, then it's either too light, or there's something going on with the range of motion. Stretch your heels down as far as you can, then get up high on your toes.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Right comical question? I am a particularly lopsided person, I have a leg length imbalance etc, but my question to you is about my breasts I have one bigger than the other - not I know imbalance is normal but not 2/3 cup sizes!!! Is there anything I can do? Exercise wise? Hope this is ok to ask - remember asking a young trainer once and he scuttled off too quick for me to understand the answer!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Right comical question? I am a particularly lopsided person, I have a leg length imbalance etc, but my question to you is about my breasts I have one bigger than the other - not I know imbalance is normal but not 2/3 cup sizes!!! Is there anything I can do? Exercise wise? Hope this is ok to ask - remember asking a young trainer once and he scuttled off too quick for me to understand the answer!!!
    It's a genetic predisposition. If you lost body fat, each breast would lose equally. I know it sucks, but the only way I can think of fixing it is through surgery.
  • Guttzilla
    Options
    Great thread - thanks for the info !
  • caroltina
    Options
    Ok thanks :) I was told to do one armed chestbpresses in the hope of tightening the muscle that hold the breast- any point you think?
  • caroltina
    Options
    Forgot to say it is getting less noticeable as I loose weight so hopefully it will find a balance
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi I was wondering if there is any excercise I can do to strengthen my hips? I had spd during my last pregnancy and 10months later my hips are still all clicky and weak to the point I can't lie on my side and lift my leg in the air (don't know name for that excercise) is there anything I can do to make them stronger walking has helped a lot but is there anything else that I can do at home?

*edited to say* spd= Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a personal trainer for the past 5 years and I want to congratulate you on your posts. They are a great recall for me of some of the different exercises. I have found it helpful to have someone look at me do them every once in a while to ensure that form is right.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Here's another one...how do you do a proper back fly with dumbbells and not make it a shoulder exercise? The only way that I have done it that makes it not a shoulder exercise was to basically keep my arms at 90 degree angle and bring them straight back...but someone told me that was wrong and I was going to hurt myself cause I should be opening my arms backward while keeping the elbow angle the same. But, every time I do that...I feel my shoulders and not my back.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not trolling, it's debating, you're on the internet. I just stated what was most effective if forced to choose one alone.
    Anyone can interval train, everyone has different levels of activity that counts as intense (did I even mention HIIT?)

Anyone needing form correction on squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings - research face the wall squats.
    They should help, but in truth there's no alternative from supervised instruction, as these are so difficult to get right.

Your arms are attached to you back by your shoulders? Don't talk nonsense, you can't not use them.

Edit: those flyes are known as a rear deltoid exercise by the way
  • julieannebyrom
    julieannebyrom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've found this whole thread really informative, and I'll reference it in the future.

I have a question, I know that I can't spot reduce fat but wanted to know if there are any exercise to tone up the upper back/bust area?

Thanks
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Can someone explain proper techinique for barbell squats, Romanian deadlifts, and traditional deadlifts in a way that makes sense to me? Like, I know what it works and how it's supposed to look...but especially with the deadlifts, I don't see how just picking the weight up doesn't make you curve your back and put strain on it right there. I'd like to make them into leg killers, not lower back killers, lol. And every time someone tells me to "put my weight in my heels" for squats, I literally fall backward onto my butt. Advice?

Here is some great information on both squats and deadlifts. I won’t re-write it since it is already written so well here.

Squats:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

Deadlift:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/

The most likely cause for falling backward when shifting weight to your heals is because of tight hamstrings, so you need to work on your hamstring flexibility. A good way to learn how to squat (since you fear falling backwards) is to start with box squats. This will give you a frame of reference for depth, as well as target your hamstrings more.

Box Squats:
    http://stronglifts.com/build-explosive-strength-how-to-perform-box-squats/

A warning: If you cannot perform squats and deadlifts from your heals, then don’t perform them (with weight) until you can. Pushing from the balls of your feet is a good way to injure your knees.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I ended up having to do that when I was doing the tricep extensions. My right arm I seem ok with when I do that. But as soon as I put any weight into the move on my left side my arm just goes jelly and I can't lift it. My brother said it might be because I'm pausing at the bottom for too long, but I tried doing it quicker and it still made no difference really. (I was only using 3kgs doing them yesterday)
    You're probably right handed so it was easier. You just need to concentrate on strengthening the left.
    Yeah I had one of the trainers after a class watch me to do lunges and squats, but being after a class was already fatigued.
    Was doing lunges today cos it was leg workout day but I just felt like I was doing it wrong I seemed to be swinging my shoulders or my hips a little I'm not sure how to explain that without showing you what I mean sorry, it seems like i'm twisting. Should I have my shoulders pulled back during both? I know I am supposed to keep my head lifted up as that is supposed to help with balance. Does it matter how quickly or slow you go doing them? Cos I don't want to concentrate on sped I would rather know I have the technique down to begin with.
    Yes keep shoulders back. Good rule of thumb is 1 sec on the concentric (contraction) and 2 sec on the eccentric (extension). On a squat that would be 2 sec on the decent, 1 sec on the push up with your legs.
    Also deadlifts, I saw those mentioned earlier. Are you supposed to start with your knees bent?
    If especially coming from the floor, yes.
    And is it better to be doing sitted or standing calf raises? My brother (who is training me and has made up my workout routine for me) has got me doing sitting calf raises, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. I keep hitting the maximum rep in each set so have upped my weights (now on 30kgs, started at 20kgs last week) and doing the 30kgs today I still didn't feel anything.

Sorry, I'm one of those newbies that is full of questions that likes using mutliple sources for information. hehe.
    Seated targets the soleus more than standing which target the gastrocnemius. If you're not feeling it, then it's either too light, or there's something going on with the range of motion. Stretch your heels down as far as you can, then get up high on your toes.

It's true about the calves, and it's extremely difficult to get enough weight on them other than on a leg press machine, but that targets the same as standing. It's the angle of your knee that changes the targeted area.

The tempo of any lift is another variable such as rest, reps, sets, weight that can increase or decrease intensity.
    For beginners, only worry about the lifting phase being fast at the moment, taking a long time to lower can be a plateau buster later, but targeting your fast twitch gives you the most bang for your buck for now. Just make sure you maintain control. Interestingly on the squat alone, research has shown a 1-3 second pause at the bottom of the lift can increase gains.

Also, nobody should ever practise a new or weak technique when tired

Power cleans or power shrugs are better calf exercises than seated or standing calf raises.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    And so are hill sprints and jumping drills. Nice tip on the box squats
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Jingly, since you know you can't spot reduce fat where you want, the best way to build your back and chest is with large, compound moves at a few different angles.
  • julieannebyrom
    julieannebyrom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Jingly, since you know you can't spot reduce fat where you want, the best way to build your back and chest is with large, compound moves at a few different angles.

can you elaborate for me I'm newe to all this?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you to do less.

I was trying to be polite.

I know you can't lower your desk, find something else.

Make the exercise harder, so that you can only just perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Why? What I'm doing now is giving my arms the firmness I want without making them look "muscley" so why change it?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I'm telling you to do less.

I was trying to be polite.

I know you can't lower your desk, find something else.

Make the exercise harder, so that you can only just perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Why? What I'm doing now is giving my arms the firmness I want without making them look "muscley" so why change it?

Sorry, I made an assumption you wanted to improve. If you're happy, then do what makes you happy
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok thanks :) I was told to do one armed chestbpresses in the hope of tightening the muscle that hold the breast- any point you think?
    It would but it wouldn't change the problem you now face.