The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Are these also called skullcrushers or am I getting this exercise confused with another one?

Yes they are. Skullcrushers are done with a barbell and risk messing your face up.

A better option, and providing constant tension, would be to use cables

Sweet! I've always done these with dumbells! But I have a cable system at home, I'm switching it up starting tonight! Never even thought to do these with my cables! Thanks!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Are reverse desk pushups the same as tricep dips?

I do tricep dips and have heard that the farther out you put your feet (from the desk, bench, chair, whatever) the more it works the triceps. It seems to make sense, but is it true?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Are reverse desk pushups the same as tricep dips?

I do tricep dips and have heard that the farther out you put your feet (from the desk, bench, chair, whatever) the more it works the triceps. It seems to make sense, but is it true?
    True because you take your legs out of assisting you. Even harder if you elevate your feet.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Excellent. They were getting easier, so now I can modify. :D Thanks!
  • amie031182
    amie031182 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your words of advice regarding crunches and triceps. I have a question for you- in your opinion, is it more beneficial for a person to spend more time on strength training or cardio. I know they are both important, however where is the biggest bang for your buck. I worked with a trainer and she said to do strength training most days and cardio one or two days, which is contradictory of advice I've received before. I have a significant amount of weight to lose-70 lbs so I feel that cardio is whre I should spend my energy. I do both, but I workout on my lunch break and don't have a lot of time outside of my breaks during the week ( I work 40+ hrs a week and have a 2 yr old), so I want to spend my time as effectively as possible.

Thanks for your advice!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I appreciate your words of advice regarding crunches and triceps. I have a question for you- in your opinion, is it more beneficial for a person to spend more time on strength training or cardio. I know they are both important, however where is the biggest bang for your buck. I worked with a trainer and she said to do strength training most days and cardio one or two days, which is contradictory of advice I've received before. I have a significant amount of weight to lose-70 lbs so I feel that cardio is whre I should spend my energy. I do both, but I workout on my lunch break and don't have a lot of time outside of my breaks during the week ( I work 40+ hrs a week and have a 2 yr old), so I want to spend my time as effectively as possible.

Thanks for your advice!
    You could still do both, but commit more time to cardio at the end of the workout. So let's just say you have an hour. Spend 15-20 minutes on lifting for one body part, then finish the workout with 35-40 min of cardio daily. The next day just switch to a different body part.
    My philosophy on what body part to work would be:
    Monday- train the body part you hate doing. Enthusiasm is highest at the beginning of the week, then go through each day (worst to favorite) so that by Friday, where most people have a tendency to put the exercise off because of the anticipation of the weekend, you train a body part you like to train and are much more apt to do it and have focus.
    Split it up: legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms. That's 5 separate workouts.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip! i think i may have been letting my elbows past my sides.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    thanks for the tip! i think i may have been letting my elbows past my sides.
    They can go back (travel towards your back), just try not to let then travel "away" (outward) from your body.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Free workout advice! It's like Christmas! :happy:

Seriously though...what would be your suggestion for the most effective workout to gain muscle definition in my back?

Thanks!
    Definition "appears" when BF% is low. However if you want to dedicate more time to effective back exercises, compound movements like barbell rows, pull ups and deadlifts are proven back builders.

BF% is dropping...and I realize this must come down some more before my goal of being more defined is met. Thamk you for the suggestion!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Seriously though...what would be your suggestion for the most effective workout to gain muscle definition in my back?

Thanks!
    Definition "appears" when BF% is low. However if you want to dedicate more time to effective back exercises, compound movements like barbell rows, pull ups and deadlifts are proven back builders.

BF% is dropping...and I realize this must come down some more before my goal of being more defined is met. Thamk you for the suggestion!
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Overhead
    Tricep extensions would be a better alternative. Also, it should be noted that the more muscle someone has (male or female)the less overall bodyfat % they will have. This in turn will create a more athletic lok and not worry about spot reduction and firming up as you say.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Thanks!

No back workout should be without these

Anyone looking for something new to add to their workout, face pulls seem to be hot at the moment
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It's not that it 'works them more', which sounds like it isolates the triceps more, it makes the excercise harder. The same as using more weight.

Other progressions are to use something lower like a chair or sofa (against a wall)

Putting your feet as far out as possible

Putting your feet on an elevated platform

Balancing a weight on your legs, I wear a backpack backwards with a kettlebell in it, you could use books or water bottles

Eventually you could do proper dips, providing you can find two bars/desks/counters/speakers strong enough that you can put close enough together

Weighted dips
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain proper techinique for barbell squats, Romanian deadlifts, and traditional deadlifts in a way that makes sense to me? Like, I know what it works and how it's supposed to look...but especially with the deadlifts, I don't see how just picking the weight up doesn't make you curve your back and put strain on it right there. I'd like to make them into leg killers, not lower back killers, lol. And every time someone tells me to "put my weight in my heels" for squats, I literally fall backward onto my butt. Advice?
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Thanks for your advice!

Steady state cardio is still the most effective in some trainers 'opinion'.

Luckily, we have these things called 'science' and 'facts'

The answer is strength training, but addind interval training to this would be better.

The most effective workout for beginners to gain strength is three whole body workouts a week. To make best use of your time, these should all be compound moves, and look at supersets to make better use of your time and up the intensity.

There are many bodyweight metcon workouts you could do, for ten minutes in the mornings, next to you kid's crib or other safe area where you can watch them but not tread on them
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Can someone explain proper techinique for barbell squats, Romanian deadlifts, and traditional deadlifts in a way that makes sense to me? Like, I know what it works and how it's supposed to look...but especially with the deadlifts, I don't see how just picking the weight up doesn't make you curve your back and put strain on it right there. I'd like to make them into leg killers, not lower back killers, lol. And every time someone tells me to "put my weight in my heels" for squats, I literally fall backward onto my butt. Advice?
    Many inexperienced people "drop" their shoulders and "cave" their chests in when trying to do deadlifts. Just try looking straight ahead, keep your chest out and shoulders back to keep your back from rounding. As for why you fall back while putting weight on your heels, I'd have to see you do it to see why it's happening. It could be just a bar adjustment or that you aren't putting a slight lean forward.
  • laureneva15
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice!
    I hate doing the tricep extensions because I can't get my elbows to stay still. No matter how hard I try.

Any advice for people struggling with their technique for lunges and squats?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I hate doing the tricep extensions because I can't get my elbows to stay still. No matter how hard I try.

Do one at a time using the other arm to "steady" the working arm. Doing it this way, you could also "spot" yourself.

Try to do stationary lunges. This way you do one leg at a time and can just focus on balancing and technique. Try to push off the front heel. And travel straight up and down, not forward and backward.
    With squats, keep your head up, look straight ahead, push from the heels. So many people approach squats differently so realistically it's always good to have an experienced person with knowledge of kinesiology to watch you do it.
  • laureneva15
    Options

Do one at a time using the other arm to "steady" the working arm. Doing it this way, you could also "spot" yourself.

Try to do stationary lunges. This way you do one leg at a time and can just focus on balancing and technique. Try to push off the front heel. And travel straight up and down, not forward and backward.
    With squats, keep your head up, look straight ahead, push from the heels. So many people approach squats differently so realistically it's always good to have an experienced person with knowledge of kinesiology to watch you do it.
    \
    I ended up having to do that when I was doing the tricep extensions. My right arm I seem ok with when I do that. But as soon as I put any weight into the move on my left side my arm just goes jelly and I can't lift it. My brother said it might be because I'm pausing at the bottom for too long, but I tried doing it quicker and it still made no difference really. (I was only using 3kgs doing them yesterday)

Yeah I had one of the trainers after a class watch me to do lunges and squats, but being after a class was already fatigued.
    Was doing lunges today cos it was leg workout day but I just felt like I was doing it wrong I seemed to be swinging my shoulders or my hips a little I'm not sure how to explain that without showing you what I mean sorry, it seems like i'm twisting. Should I have my shoulders pulled back during both? I know I am supposed to keep my head lifted up as that is supposed to help with balance. Does it matter how quickly or slow you go doing them? Cos I don't want to concentrate on sped I would rather know I have the technique down to begin with.

Also deadlifts, I saw those mentioned earlier. Are you supposed to start with your knees bent?

And is it better to be doing sitted or standing calf raises? My brother (who is training me and has made up my workout routine for me) has got me doing sitting calf raises, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. I keep hitting the maximum rep in each set so have upped my weights (now on 30kgs, started at 20kgs last week) and doing the 30kgs today I still didn't feel anything.

Sorry, I'm one of those newbies that is full of questions that likes using mutliple sources for information. hehe.