Teachers or Future Teachers

Options

Replies

• Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky that our school has a fresh salad bar everyday with lots of good veggies on it and salad dressing options. Is this unique to where I am or is this something that occurs more frequently?
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I am just starting my 18th year of teaching (all at the same elementary school). I've taught 2nd-4th grades and am currently staying put as a 4th grade writing teacher. Most days I love my job-except when we are testing or pushing papers!

I've struggled with my weight for years (stress, difficult marriage, and snacks in the lounge all contributed...as well as my lack of will power). That however is changing NOW. I have always exercised but have stepped up my game and began using MFP to track calories about a month ago. LOVING the results I am getting! I have a long way to go, but at least I'm headed in the right direction.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and cheering each other on!
  • joimichele
    Options
    I guess I am lucky that our school has a fresh salad bar everyday with lots of good veggies on it and salad dressing options. Is this unique to where I am or is this something that occurs more frequently?

What?! That is AWESOME! I believe schools should offer healthier choices for students and teachers.
  • joimichele
    Options
    Well made it through day one :0) and felt very proud of myself for not eating any of the cakes of biscuits that were up for grabs in my faculty office and making healthy choices at lunchtime!

Slightly thrown by this years timetable though. As they're not sure how well I'll cope with being back at school they decided that they can't give me any A-level classes (this normally makes up over a third of my timetable) and so instead I'm going to start teaching year 9 ICT after Christmas! It's a case of ARGH!?!?! I've no idea what students even really study in ICT and am going to stress even more about teaching a subject that I have no idea about. Humph. I'd be much happier with a physics class or a first year A-level class instead :0(

What is ICT?
  • joimichele
    Options
    Beginning back to work tomorrow and dreading it! Have the before-school butterflies that attack almost all teachers when they go back and have added anxiety about beginning to teach a new course in a new department. I'll be teaching high school Cooperative Education and the task is daunting because there is just so much that needs to get done before the kids go out to work. Once they're out, the job should be easier (or at least I hope it is). Right now, having to adhere to a strict already laid-out curriculum and worrying about the eventuality about job placement problems, parental and student pressure (rampantly high at my school) is daunting.

But we all get through these first-day back jitters and with the "stuff" that comes with this job. People who have never taught just can't understand no matter how empathetic they claim to be.

Happy first day!!!
  • joimichele
    Options
    I like this thread!. Well, I've taught P.E grades K-6. I have homeschooled four kids. I have taught preschool and mostly coached over the years. Well, all the kids have been off to college and graduated, and some are starting their own families. So, I decided to become a college student-I am 49! :smile: In 2013 I will have my certification for SpED. So, I would like to join in with you all on our fitness quest. I am currently doing p90X+.

WOW! Congrats!
  • joimichele
    Options
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Faculty Meeting today...MUST resist the temptations! MUST resist the temptations.
  • december8teen
    Options
    Hi, I've just joined MFP recently. I'm a future teacher, and I still have two more years to go till I graduate! :)

My purpose of joining this site is to keep my diet in check. I was working in a school recently for my placement and I totally understand the minimal time a teacher has during their lunch break, and how our meals has to be prepared in advance. (At least for my school, most teachers skip the cafeteria and tuck into a sandwich)

It's good to know how much calories actually go into those meals and it keeps you in check. :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Im a teacher and look to my fellow thin teachers for inspiration, one has a few simple rules:
    NEVER EVER eat anything from the treat table in the staff room.
    Always plan lunches ahead: Fail to plan, plan to fail. If I haven't organised my lunches then I eat school meals (FAB at our school) or go for a sandwich as Greggs, nightmare calories.
    And lastly bring snacks in for every break.
    Eat breakfast either at home or school but make it healthy.
    It works a treat if you're focussed.
    And for me I eat a piece of fruit just before I set out for home in the evening otherwise I get a sandwich on route.
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I didn't plan well today. Yesterday was a rough day for me and it showed in my preparations - none. I ended up eating a zone bar for lunch (because I keep a stash) and a package of cheez-its for snack. Poor planning also doesn't help if you're tired.
  • snordyke
    Options
    Hey All,

I am a middle school teacher, this year is 8th grade physical science and algebra 1. I "should' be finishing my masters degree in math ed. this spring, hoping to open a few more doors.

Between my students, my classes, the part time job, because you know how tough it is on a teacher's income and 2 teenage daughters at home I'm struggling with time management issues. I'd love to work off some stress but not sure where to schedule that in. I welcome your suggestions!

I need to lose 45lbs. in 7 months, I want to start that down hill slide feeling and looking good.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Im a teacher and look to my fellow thin teachers for inspiration, one has a few simple rules:
    NEVER EVER eat anything from the treat table in the staff room.
    Always plan lunches ahead: Fail to plan, plan to fail. If I haven't organised my lunches then I eat school meals (FAB at our school) or go for a sandwich as Greggs, nightmare calories.
    And lastly bring snacks in for every break.
    Eat breakfast either at home or school but make it healthy.
    It works a treat if you're focussed.
    And for me I eat a piece of fruit just before I set out for home in the evening otherwise I get a sandwich on route.

GREAT rules! I especially like the first & last ones. Its so hard! I'm struggling with balancing the time for working out with the time for doing school work. Why does school work always win?
  • climbingpanda
    climbingpanda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What is ICT?

ICT is Information and Communication Technology. I think (having not actually spoken to the head of ICT yet) that for the year group that I'm teaching it's "this is how you use MS office and moviemaker".

Not something I would chose to teach. Ever. Love maths, enjoyed programming at University, but teaching kids to use computer packages? Not my idea of a fun way to spend four hours a cycle when I should have been teaching advanced level maths!
  • smlandry
    smlandry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just saying hello as I've been buried in school work and family time! That's one of my main goals- no school work until child is in bed. Of course this means I'm up way late but it's worth it getting to play with her and do some house work like a "normal" mom. And then I devote 2 nights a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) that are just for my husband. Once child is down, it's our time to do whatever needs to be done together or just be together. Makes the next day a little more work heavy, but again worth it. Can't seem to resist the chocolate in some form but I really limit myself. So far so good. I just need to get my workout schedule under control. Which means make it happen. I'll do it. I've got some events that I want to look at so I'll do it out of pure desparation and stubbornness. :wink:
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Missed this topic when it was new, but I am a future teacher! I currently hold a BA in psychology and am in the process of obtaining a MAT (PK-6) from Christopher Newport University. I'll graduate in May and hopefully will have my own classroom for the 2012-2013 school year. I just finished my first week of fall student teaching, and have a few more days to complete next week, then I don't start full-time student teaching til January! I have been waking up at 5am in order to get in my work outs before school, which has been rough. I also pack my lunch every day and eat a filling (nutritious) breakfast so I'm not sneaking bits of my lunch by 10am. ;)
  • joimichele
    Options
    How is everyone?!? Does anyone have any interesting stories to tell. We had spirit week last week. The teachers celebrate by choosing a different teacher each day to bring a special lunch treat. Friday, we have a potluck and everybody brings something different. I brought fruit pizza on my day and for the potluck I made a harvest salad. I didn't eat any of the "bad" treats! Even though there was a cheesecake! My favorite dessert! I also only give away healthy snacks on game day. Kids hate it but it keeps my temptation down.
  • joimichele
    Options
    Just saying hello as I've been buried in school work and family time! That's one of my main goals- no school work until child is in bed. Of course this means I'm up way late but it's worth it getting to play with her and do some house work like a "normal" mom. And then I devote 2 nights a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) that are just for my husband. Once child is down, it's our time to do whatever needs to be done together or just be together. Makes the next day a little more work heavy, but again worth it. Can't seem to resist the chocolate in some form but I really limit myself. So far so good. I just need to get my workout schedule under control. Which means make it happen. I'll do it. I've got some events that I want to look at so I'll do it out of pure desparation and stubbornness. :wink:

Wow you sound extremely busy but you have a great schedule and plan. Good luck!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I hope all teachers are doing well. We had severe flooding in Central PA, so schools were closed Thursday and Friday of last week. I feel so badly for people who lost their homes. I'm keeping it in the back of my head as I work with students today. I have no clue what has happened to them over the last few days!

Not to mention... September 11th being on Sunday....

Things have been so weird in our state lately. Floods last week, a few weeks before that a 5.9 earthquake. Weird!

Shannon
  • joimichele
    Options
    I hope all teachers are doing well. We had severe flooding in Central PA, so schools were closed Thursday and Friday of last week. I feel so badly for people who lost their homes. I'm keeping it in the back of my head as I work with students today. I have no clue what has happened to them over the last few days!

Not to mention... September 11th being on Sunday....

Things have been so weird in our state lately. Floods last week, a few weeks before that a 5.9 earthquake. Weird!

Shannon

Wow! There is a lot going on. Mother nature has been busaaay! Hope things are better.