Teachers or Future Teachers

Options

Replies

• 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    So excited!! Our town, which is largely a retirement community, just passed a bond issue to remodel our aging, decrepit, nasty high school!! Our community traditionally is very resistant to bond issues for school improvement. Whoot!!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Are there any Australian teachers in this group? I'm really interested in finding out more about their curriculum from first-hand experienced people.
  • ZonePerfect
    Options
    tekavincent, happy to hear you keep a stash of ZonePerfect bars on hand! What's your favorite flavor? ~Brittany @ZonePerfect
  • joimichele
    Options
    So excited!! Our town, which is largely a retirement community, just passed a bond issue to remodel our aging, decrepit, nasty high school!! Our community traditionally is very resistant to bond issues for school improvement. Whoot!!

Congrats!
  • alwaysangel
    Options
    I just found this thread. Hope It's not too late to join. I am a first grade teacher in Florida. I've been teaching for 6 years and love 1st grade. I'm currently seeking a Master's in Counseling and have a family of 5. 2 -13 y/o boys and a 2 1/2 y/o princess. I. like most of you find it easy to drop weight and get healthy over the summers just to put it back on throughout the school year, medicating stress with sugar. But no more of that for me!

I'm doing pretty well keeping off what I have lost this summer and slowly but surely I keep going down. Fighting exhaustion to stay motivated to exercise in the evenings is so hard and I am already getting up too early in the mornings to get to work in time.

I hope we can inspire the best in each other as we attempt to do the same for our kids.

Angel
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd answered this - oh well.

I like anything w/chocolate and peanut butter, but am trying to find something new since I can't have nuts at school. So, I have fudge graham right now. They're not bad.
    tekavincent, happy to hear you keep a stash of ZonePerfect bars on hand! What's your favorite flavor? ~Brittany @ZonePerfect
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I just graduated in May with a bachelor's in Elementary Ed. and hopefully come Spring semester I'll student teach
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just saying hello as I've been buried in school work and family time! That's one of my main goals- no school work until child is in bed. Of course this means I'm up way late but it's worth it getting to play with her and do some house work like a "normal" mom. And then I devote 2 nights a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) that are just for my husband. Once child is down, it's our time to do whatever needs to be done together or just be together. Makes the next day a little more work heavy, but again worth it. Can't seem to resist the chocolate in some form but I really limit myself. So far so good. I just need to get my workout schedule under control. Which means make it happen. I'll do it. I've got some events that I want to look at so I'll do it out of pure desparation and stubbornness. :wink:

I teach seventh-grade English and eighth-grade U.S. history, and man did your comment about a "normal" mom ring true! If I had about 48 hours in a day, then maybe I could get it all done. :smile:
  • smlandry
    smlandry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    curiositycat- You are so right! "Maybe" is definitely the operative word there too. But that's okay. Like I said, the time I do get I'm working to enjoy and treasure. Hope all is well with you!
  • Newpilgrim
    Options
    What a cool idea for a group! I teach full time at a college in So. Cal. (Radio and TV Production) and I absolutely love it...except when I hate it...lol! I've been teaching college now for 10 years. My biggest challenge is figuring out when to eat. I practice intuitive eating, which discourages eating if you're not hungry, but sometimes I find that I'm not hungry before heading into class, but don't get out of class until 3-4 hours later, at which point I'm famished and overeat. I'd love any words of wisdom/support, etc.
  • joimichele
    Options
    What a cool idea for a group! I teach full time at a college in So. Cal. (Radio and TV Production) and I absolutely love it...except when I hate it...lol! I've been teaching college now for 10 years. My biggest challenge is figuring out when to eat. I practice intuitive eating, which discourages eating if you're not hunry, but sometimes I find that I'm not hungry before heading into class, but don't get out of class until 3-4 hours later, at which point I'm famished and overeat. I'd love any words of wisdom/support, etc
    I

Can you take a snack like an Apple or maybe a smoothie? I really wish I was in Cali right now. What college do you teach at? What degree do you have?
  • joimichele
    Options
    Faculty Meeting today...MUST resist the temptations! MUST resist the temptations.

How did you do?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm SO hungry. I hate having a late lunch. I feel bad for kids that eat at 1pm. I don't know how they do it.

Shannon
  • joimichele
    Options
    I'm SO hungry. I hate having a late lunch. I feel bad for kids that eat at 1pm. I don't know how they do it.

Shannon

:sad: I hate being hungry! It is the worst feeling ever!
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I can’t believe I’m just finding this thread.. I would love to join this group!

I am 44yrs old and a 5th grade literacy teacher in Forks, WA however I live in Port Angeles. So on top of the other challenges that come with our profession, I had to add an hour commute on top of everything else. I have been teaching now for 13 years with 8 of those years in 5th grade. :happy: I can’t imagine ever doing anything else. I have played around with the idea of becoming a principal but I love being in the classroom.

I have been using MFP since Aug 2010 and I’m close to my first major goal of dropping 100 pounds. After reaching this goal, I will re-evaluate and set a new goal. Right now my biggest challenge is finding time to get a full workout in after work. Are any of you dealing with the same issue and if so what have you found as a solution to this issue?

V
  • alwaysangel
    Options
    The PE coach and I started an exercise club at work so after contract hours a few teachers and I change into workout clothes and do exercise videos twice a week. I have a spin bike in my living room. so when I make the time to watch tv I don't sit on the couch I use my bike. I'm loving it. I'm also starting a gym membership next week and my plan is to not go home before I get my workout in.
    Hope this helps!

Angel
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and I'm happy to say that so far I've made it to the gym everyday.

V
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Is it like this for anyone else????

I found out through WORD OF MOUTH that Open House is tonight. Yet, I'm required to be there. A reminder would have been nice.....

I barely have time to go get something to eat, let alone get to the gym tonight. I won't even be able to go home to get changed. GRRRRR!!!

Loves her job, but wishes people were more organized!

Shannon
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just found this thread! I am in my 3rd year of teaching elementary music. I have about 300 students and I love my job! It's often a thankless job, but the students are definitely worth it.

One thing I have noticed with teaching is that I have actually gained weight the past couple of summers because I am used to being on my feet and "acting" energetic all day with teaching and then I think my metabolism slows down during the summer. Anyone else notice that?

Feel free to add me! Teachers have to stick together! :)
  • joimichele
    Options
    Is it like this for anyone else????

I found out through WORD OF MOUTH that Open House is tonight. Yet, I'm required to be there. A reminder would have been nice.....

I barely have time to go get something to eat, let alone get to the gym tonight. I won't even be able to go home to get changed. GRRRRR!!!

Loves her job, but wishes people were more organized!

Shannon
    No! That is ridiculous! How did the parents know? Hope you survived!