Please be honest.....

Options

Replies

• jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i use to go to a step class while i was around 240 pounds, there were thin, old young no one cared!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's only as awkward as you make it. We truly create our sitations around us with the confidence we exude.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I would be proud of that person... whoever it may be. I think it's commendable to go to those classes, and they are an awesome way to start this journey (or continue it as the case may be.)
  • michelledunn25
    michelledunn25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I WOULD THINK THE PERSON IS AWESOME TO TRY A CLASS. AND IT WOULD MOTIVATE ME TO KEEP GOING WHEN I WANTED TO STOP.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'd want to hi-five you personally. I went through something similar when I signed up for my first 5K. I thought everyone would be a super fit, amazing runner. To my surprise the race, a huge race, was filled with all sizes, shapes, and fitness levels. I was somewhere in the middle.

Anytime I see an overweight/out of shape person doing any form of exercise, I secretly cheer them on in my head. It's awesome.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would think "yay, another person has seen the light" :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?

I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

You thoughts are welcome....

I would think that is a person who recognizes that they don't know how to be healthy and really wants to understand how to change. i think it's dumb to wait, the information you learn can be only beneficial to your journey.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Why let anyone determine what you want to do or not!
  • Melky06
    Melky06 Posts: 9
    Options
    your there for education on how to be healthier and more fit, your in the same boat as the others taking the class, equals. Knowledge is power. You can't do or not do based on what you think others will think of you. I would love to see a person who has struggled with weight come into the class. Do what you want that is in your best interest for your health. I think the support you got through this post is what you'll find out when you take the class. People generally like to help others out, Good Luck, TAKE THE CLASS !!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.
    I've put off joining the synchronized skating team for years, thinking I would just join next year when I was thinner. Then things happened, and I didn't quite lose all the weight, so I'd put it off another year. I'm done putting things off just b/c I don't look "perfect."

And if I saw someone overweight (like me) going to a gym or a class, if I even noticed, I would think, fantastic...they're doing something about it. You never know...those fit people you see in class may have at one point been overweight themselves.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    I see this at my gym a lot and I smile a little on the inside because they are educating themselves on how to exercise properly & have a goal to get in shape. I say go for it. Don't put it off :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I see this at my gym a lot and I smile a little on the inside because they are educating themselves on how to exercise properly & have a goal to get in shape. I say go for it. Don't put it off :)

^^ THIS x 1,000

Do it! Learning will help you achieve your goals faster!
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would thinking, "Good for them!"
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    being that im not small myself, i would think "good for them" theres alot of people who arent so small that frequent my gym. Hey, they're trying to do something about it. theres a guy whos 350 pounds that works out there, he use to be 435. if he can do it, anybody can! i myself was 200 pounds first starting off at my gym, and im down to 171 now.
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'd think, "good for him/her." Honestly, everyone will be too busy doing their own thing to notice you. And if they do notice you, who gives a *kitten* what they think. :)
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would and do think everythime i see an overwieght person at teh gym "good for you!" Personally i find the bigger the person is the better the inspiration they are to me.

Dont be scared or embarrassed, we all started not knowing anything. Go early and meet the instructor, they will help you leanr the moves.

And it it makes you feel more comfortable stand at the back, also this means you can check out what others are doing in case you miss a step.

Go to the class and count it as a non scale victory for doing something that was difficult but very good for you. :)
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No matter who you are or what you're doing or what you look like, there will always be somebody there that's going to judge you. F*** them all.
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would think, "Good for them. They're making progress by just walking through the doors." My father is severely obese, so I guess I have great compassion for people who struggle with weight. Unfortunately, he has been this way for so long, he has become complacent. No matter, I still encourage him daily. Hats off to you for trying something new and healthy! Don't let anything deter you from making this step. Remember: The first one's the hardest.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Most of the people in fitness courses struggle with weight on some level.
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would honestly think "good for them for wanting to get healthy!" We all need to start some where. I totally encourage you to do it!! You totally can!!! :)

exactly!! go for it