Please be honest.....

Options
12346»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    at 5:30 this morning on my way to the gym for my own workout, I saw a very large man walking down the road in the dark...he had on shorts, a tank top and a bottle of water in his hand. I wanted to honk and cheer for him, because he was obviously out there to get in better shape and probably lose some weight.

Honestly, most people are a lot less critical of an overweight person going to a fitness class than they will of one who is pushing a cart full of junk food around the grocery store, or chowing down at a restaurant (I'm not saying this is right, but its the way things are).
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I agree with the quote above. You aren't out of place if you go there. Everyone there is wanting to get fit and healthy just like you are. So really, you fit right in. I get shy about stuff like that too so I understand but if you want to do it, go for it! I bet you'll have a good time.
  • wendymct
    wendymct Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When we start something new, we ALL have to start from the beginning. If this class is of interest to you, no matter what your current fitness level is, YOU are worth your time and energy to join the class. If you wait, YOU may never get started. If I were a student in the class and a person walked in, I would praise them for taking the first step in changing their life, no matter what their physical appearance.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would honestly think "good for them for wanting to get healthy!" We all need to start some where. I totally encourage you to do it!! You totally can!!! :)

^^
    This!
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52
    Options
    Everybody is concerned about themselves (just as you are) - I am in agreement that no one would give you a second look or a second thought - it's a ME world out there - use it to your advantage. Go for it...let no negative thoughts keep you back.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do it! You are there to educate yourself.........don't worry about what others might think! I respect you for taking that first step!!
  • Ready2bfitmelio
    Options
    It's ok to feel that way.. but i can always bet 100 dollars that no one is going to act funny towards to!! the thing is that atleast now your try n to lose weight vs just feeling sorry for your self YOU CAN DO IT!! keep us posted we r all in this together!!
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    You will see a lot of people who are at various stages of there weight loss goals. Some very fit, some half way and some not. Just keep in mine that most people who go to the gym started out not fit! A lot of them had more weight on their bodies than a healthy person should. And now they look and FEEL great! As time goes on you will notice more people who are just starting out for the very first time.
    If you still feel uneasy bring a good friend with you. Someone who will support you.
    Now when I go to the gym I wear sweat pants because I don't like anyone seeing my legs. But the point is I go. And I know that when I lose more weight I will wear shorts.
    You CAN do it! I know you can!

:bigsmile:
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Here's another thought for you... When I walk out of the gym, if you stop me and ask me "What was the race of the person working out next to you?" I would answer "Black I think.... or white.... or Asian... well, I am 99% sure they were human at least...." The point is, everyone is so worried about themselves in the gym that they really fail to take notice of other people. They are there for themselves and you are there for yourself. So go and enjoy yourself and get your sweat on!!!!!
    (Caveat to this: I once saw a woman wearing one of those shiny silver workout suits that looked like a 1960's spaceman/baked potato thing. I don't remember a thing about the woman, but I do remember the suit. So yeah, steer clear of that and no one will notice you. :wink: )
  • chelley_puk
    Options
    I have to say i was very much like yourself, nervously i went to a zumba class (with a friend mainly for motivation) and have to say im so glad i did, i felt much better for it, the only reason people looked at me was to say hello and not for the reasons i thought, go and enjoy as thats what its about as well as losing weight. :smile:
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I would give that person kudos for stepping outside of their comfort zone!
  • Penelope_373
    Penelope_373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would think that it was great that you were making a healthy decision. Anyone shallow enough to think horrible things about someone attempting to change isn't anyone I would worry about anyhow! I would go for it, myself, without worry of what others might be thinking. Just imagine yourself after you meet your first goal, and then the next, and the next and so on. Who's to say you can't be fit just like the others there? We aren't all blessed with great bodies and amped metabolisms and hey, we have to start somewhere! So good for you for thinking about it!

ohh - I might add. Just because someone is thin does not necessarily mean they are fit, or healthy for that matter. So I seriously would not worry about others, period! I would rather be overweight and trying to be healthy than skinny and unhealthy.

:flowerforyou:
  • aminomel
    Options
    Go for it! I honestly think good for them! I know its hard because I also have insecurities about my weight. I do know that I feel much better about myself once I get out there and start exercising. I have about 40 pounds to lose. I welcome encouragement and tips. xoxox Good luck!

:smile:
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    In a recent poll, the #1 reason for people not going to the gym was: "They weren't in good enough shape/didn't feel good about their body". This is the #1 reason TO go to the gym.

I can state that I would never look down on anyone of any size doing something to get healthy. What I do internally criticize are the way people put into their body, and they wonder why they are overweight.

You will be judged more in your daily routine of shopping and eating out, than you will by going the gym!
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    Who cares what others think? Also it's none of your business what others think. Many will think nothing at all about you as they are thinking about other things. Others will think positive things and may or may not express it. Others may think negative things. So what. You are not the Thought Police issuing them a ticket. If they want to fill their brains with negative thoughts, they can and it's their loss to jumble their brains with negative energy. Just work on yourself. Think positive thoughts as much as you can and get yourself HEALTHY NOW!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?

I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

You thoughts are welcome....

My honest thoughts are that I would be happy to see that person trying to get fit and healthy!

I have felt that way in the past and once I eventually started taking classes I got over it and realized I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm there for my health.
  • gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would feel "good for them". Honestly, I do a dance class and I'm not very good at it plus I'm 30 pounds overweight. I bumble around but I have fun and that's all that counts. Go in there with confidence and no one can touch you even if they are judgemental. !!!!!
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Guuuurl go for it! You're there to make yourself better and that's all that matters. Every person there had to start at one point or another...and at least you have a friend to join you!
  • barbie0921
    Options
    When I first started exercising 7yrs ago, I weighed 245lbs. I couldn't afford to pay for a gym membership but I had access to the fitness center on the Air Force Base where we were stationed . Let me tell you! Nearly everyone there was active duty, therefore, not overweight. But, I pulled from my rebellious side and said to myself that if anyone should be there, I most certainly should. The people there couldn't of been more nice. I lost 72lbs in that gym. Nobody ever made me feel self conscious. So, there's no time like the present. You go girl!!!! This is for YOU!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    Honestly, my first thought would be "if they can do, than I can too!"