SKINNY CHICS & A ROOSTER TRIATHALON SIGN-UP THREAD (**CLOSE

Options
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: TRIATHALON SIGN-UP THREAD, AS PROMISED!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

OK... let the team formations and individual sign-ups get started! Just a few things to remember:

:flowerforyou: You may sign up for ONE team and ONE individual triathalon, I need to know for both. Please let me know who is doing which event for your team. One person per event. Please let me know which events you will be doing for Individual.

:flowerforyou: I need a TEAM NAME for the Team triathalon. I need your ACTUAL FIRST NAME for the Individual triathalon. Let's make sure we know each other not just our screen names! LOL.

:flowerforyou: Goal is to have 2 "regulars" and 1 "new" member on each team, though if you have already formed a team - we'll go with that! Just make sure we are welcoming the newer members in to our challenges, but remember, if that person drops than you and your teammate will need to cover the 3rd event together.

:flowerforyou: You will have the entire month of September to complete your distances in each event. However, as Teams - it will be a race... who is gonna win?!?

:flowerforyou: TEAM GOALS -- Goals for the teams are to do at least a Half Triathalon, but aim to complete a Full/Ironman Level Triathalon!!

:flowerforyou: INDIVIDUALS -- All mileage will be added, we will celebrate every level of triathalon that you complete! Feel free to set your own goal - so we can encourage you accordingly... but also, feel free to exceed your goal! Remember, it's important that you vary your workout to get in all three disciplines! Even if your part of the team goal is to do the biking... you gotta do the swimming (or alternate) and the running/walking.

:flowerforyou: THIS IS A CLOSED THREAD! Sorry, but unless you are a part of the 100+ to Lose Thread, we are keeping this to our "little" family! LOL.

:flowerforyou: Triathalon related conversation will center in this thread vs our 100+ to Lose page... let's reserve that one for general support, laughs, stories, etc. You can still celebrate or laugh about your experiences with the challenge there -- but we want the challenge really to take on it's own life in a new thread.

I think that's about it... let the Trash Talking begin!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have thus far... Not sure that it's all correct, but just so that everyone knows where we are at...

Doing Individual Triathalons:

Becky
    Staci
    Angie
    Sara

Doing Team Triathalons:

Honey Badgers -- Becky (swim), Lexie (bike), NEED A RUNNER/WALKER

Wabbid Wombats/TBD -- Cynthia (swim), Staci (bike), Julie (Run/Walk)

Unnamed thus far -- Bobbie (swim?), Sara (??), NEED A THIRD

Unnamed thus far -- Steph (swim?), JJ (??), NEED A THIRD

ReNae - will be on a team, offered to be a runner/walker
    Lynn (ncwingnut) - will be on a team, offered to be a runner/walker or a swimmer
    Greg (daylite) - tentatively will be on a team, is on vacation but had said could do 50 miles walking w/o knowing challenge

As of right now... if we did take the 3 who have offered - we would have 4 teams... so, do you think we need to worry about having a "new" person on each team?? Maybe that wasn't so important?? Let me know what you all think... and feel free to switch things around or whatever! Some of the "individuals" may also be willing to do Teams... and some people who have talked about Teams may also be shooting for the Individual...
  • lombrica
    Options
    Here are the levels of a triathalon from www.totaltriathalon.com

Name..................................................Swim.........................Bike.........................Run

Sprint..................................................0.5mi.........................12.4mi......................3.1mi
    .........................................................(750km).......................(20km)......................(5km)

Olympic..............................................0.93mi........................24.8mi.....................6.2mi
    ..........................................................(1.5km).......................(40km)....................(10km)

ITU Long............................................1.86mi.........................49.6mi....................12.4mi
    ...........................................................(3km)..........................(80km)....................(20km)

Half.....................................................1.2mi............................56mi......................13.1mi
    ..........................................................(1.9km)........................(90km)...................(21.09km)

Full (Ironman) ....................................2.4mi..........................112mi......................26.2mi
    ..........................................................(3.8km).......................(180km).................(42.195km)
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do an individual one also :)

I am really looking forward to this!!
  • lombrica
    Options
    Lots of questions about the "events" and mostly seems to be surrounding the swimming. So, I have been on the computer searching things out to find some equivalents. So, here is some information on Event Categories.

EVENT ONE: Traditionally is Swimming. You may substitute - Jump Roping, Cross-country skiing, Rowing, Versa-Climber/Jacob's Ladder, NuStep. The key here is that this needs to be something that is going to work both upper and lower body at the same time and will require some exertion.

EVENT TWO: Traditionally is Bicycling. You may substitute - Stationary or Recumbent Bike Machines

EVENT THREE: Traditionally is Running. You may substitute - Walking, Treadmill, Elliptical, Arc-Trainer.

I have equivalents figured out for how to figure out your distance in miles with each of these. Most of them have measurement features naturally - but for jump roping miles are measured in minutes when you compare exertion to swimming. By the way -- did you know that swimming burns FOUR TIMES what walking/running does in distances? So, swimming 1/4 mile is the same as walking/running 1 mile? Now, I don't feel so bad that my swim sessions range from1/2 to 3/4 of a mile at a time!

Important -- when signing up, you will be asked which type of exercise you will be doing for each category. You must complete the distance/mileage in only the ONE exercise for each event (outside of biking... biking is biking, whatever type of bike you are on). If you have other thoughts on Alternative Choices, please let me know!
  • lombrica
    Options
    My thoughts for the conversions were as follows:

SPINNING: 45 Minute Hill Class
    ............ Beginner = 10 miles
    ............ Intermediate = 11 miles
    ............ Advanced = 12 miles

SPINNING: 45 Minute Flat/Speed Class
    ............ Beginner = 12 miles
    ............ Intermediate = 13.5 miles
    ............ Advanced = 15 miles

The other big "conversion" was for Jump Roping... and I've done a whole lot of research on this. PLEASE do NOT use the easy answer of 10 minutes of jump roping is the same as 1 mile running... We needed the Jump Roping to be the equivalent of swimming! So... here is the conversion chart that I am asking people to use so that we are on the same page and even ground.

JUMP ROPING:
    .....IF you can swim 1/4 mile in 12 minutes = 10 minutes Jump roping equals 1/4 of a mile, 40 min equals 1 mile
    ...............that would be equal to swimming the length of a pool in 45 seconds consistently for 18 lengths
    .....IF you can swim 1/4 mile in 18 minutes = 15 minutes Jump roping equals 1/4 of a mile, 60 minutes equals 1 mile
    ...............that would be equal to swimming the length of a pool in 60 seconds consistently for 18 lengths
    .....IF you can swim 1/4 mile in 24 minutes = 20 minutes Jump roping equals 1/4 of a mile, 80 minutes equals 1 mile
    ...............that would be equal to swimming the length of a pool in 75 seconds consistently for 18 lengths
    .....IF you swim any slower than above = 25 minutes Jump roping equals 1/4 of a mile, 100 minutes equals 1 mile

Remember, you need to know your average per length -- which includes if you hold onto the edge for a rest or to catch your breath. If you aren't a swimmer, than I'd suggest that you use either the 20 or 25 minutes = 1/4 mile estimate! I swim quite a bit and I would fall into the second one because I pretty much do a quarter mile without resting at the edge, but than I swim slower so that I can maintain the pace and not rest. It takes me between 16-20 minutes to do a quarter mile in a swim session, where I usually do between 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. If I pushed it and only had the goal of 1/4 of a mile, my speed may be a bit faster... but if I was jump roping for the triathalon, I would be using the 15 minute conversion.

If anyone has any other conversion questions please let me know. Hope everyone is OK with the above... as I said yesterday, I was doing a ton of research to work out the basics for this Challenge and to help create some standard measurements for people to use. You will each need to determine what level you feel your fitness is at.
  • lombrica
    Options
    :glasses: My own "official" sign-up here...

My name is Becky, I am going to do an Individual Triathalon. My goal is to complete the IRONWOMAN level of a triathalon over the month of September!! My 3 events will be SWIMMING, BIKING (in gym), and ELLIPTICAL (my goal is to actually JOG all 26.2 miles of it! But will be happy to just get those done!)

.... eek! That's a whole LOT of miles on a bike! That's really the only part I feel intimidated by!
  • lombrica
    Options
    I'd like to do an individual one also :)

I am really looking forward to this!!

YAY!! I am happy to hear this...

Can you please let everyone know your name, the events you're choosing, what your goal is, etc. (Yep, I know that your name is in your siggy, but sometimes we forget to look there and I just want to make sure that everyone has all the info!
  • simplysara9
    Options
    My name is Sara and I have been a part of the 100+ to Lose Thread for about 4 months now. I love coming to the group when I have a question / need encouragement or just want to chat and I am looking forward to this challenge. It will be something new and different. I love to challenge myself!

My goal is to complete the Half Tri as an individual. I am going to substitute the swimming for rope jumping (at the slowest speed 100 miles = 1 mile -- I am not sure how fast I swim so I am going to go for the longest time possible).

I am also going to compete in a Team Challenge. I bike A LOT but need to switch it up and work on something new. I would like to be able to walk / run farther so it will be a good time to work that. For our Team we will still need a biker!

Becky -- If I am competing in an Individual and Group do I need to complete 13.1 miles (running) and 26.2 miles (running) for a total of 39.3 miles running? Does that make sense?
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Woot! So excited about this! I am so telling my friends and family that I am going to do two triathalons this month. I might not mention that it will be taking me the entire month though.... :wink:

Ok, so my real name is JJ. I live in the Great Pacific Northwest and own a knitting shop, which involves a lot of sitting around and very little exercise, hence the weight. I am the mom of four terrific kids ages 17, 14, 13, and 12 . I am excited about this challenge so that I can get more fit and healthy to keep up with my kids as well as set a good example for them. Thats more than you asked for, but what the hey.

I would like to sign up for an individual triathalon of the Ironman length. I am still thinking on the swimming component and how I will do that, so I will let you know. I will also be biking on my bike for that event and run/walking for the running event (I assume the usual run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute would count as it would in a real triathalon?). Otherwise I will run it all (ack!).

I am also doing a team with Steph (YEAH!!!!!! We are so going to rock this!) and we are still working on our name. I will be doing the run/walking for the team (see above). We are still working out the details on if we will need a third and for which event, but will update you on that shortly!

I didn't see you repost it, but I did want to confirm that if I am the runner for the team event, the miles I run for the team will also count also for the individual event so I will do 26.2 miles total running not 26.2 for the team and then 26.2 for the individual.

Thanks for organizing this Becky! You have obviously put a lot of thought and work into it and I appreciate it.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Hello!!
    Well I think most of you know, I'm Steph, I'm newly married and a secondary school teacher. Been heavy forever but this is the first time I have properly done something about it. In the process I have become a gym rat who love circuit training and spin.

I would like to sign up to do an individual triathlon, ITU length is my goal. I will swim, run/walk, cycle with most of my miles coming from spin. Becky your conversion works fine - it comes out to about 20km in a 45 minute session. As JJ mentioned we have teamed up for the team triathlon, I have said I will do the swimming but if someone wants to join us and would prefer to be the swimmer over the cycler that could be arranged.

I'm excited!!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, all. My name is Bobbie and I will be teaming up with Sara to complete the full Ironman Triathalon....our team name is "TRI-ing to Lose". We had originally talked about splitting everything, but now that I've re-read the instructions, that is not an options, so we will workout who is doing what with the knowledge that even if we don't have a 3rd person, we'll still make it happen.

As I've already pushed myself to complete over 100 miles biking and walking and swimming for this month, I would also like to compete individually for the full Triathalon. I might be dead by the end of the month, but it will so be worth it :laugh:

ETA: My individual events will be Swimming, Stationary Biking, and Treadmill walking.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Becky-
    I don't participate a lot in the 100+ to lose thread, but I have in the past. Can I still join? I would like to be a team's walker. I don't have the option to do one individually but I would love to be part of a team. If you are full with really regular posters I understand, I just thought I would check and see.
    Thanks,
    Dusty
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Please sign me up for an individual one. I really want to complete this!!
  • andilynn82
    andilynn82 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm committing to an individual triathalon...Olympic is my goal. If I join a gym and have access to a pool I might bump that up.

I can be a (stationary) biker or a walk/runner for a team if need be.

ETA: My first name is Andrea :)
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    Woohoo! I found us. Yes, Becky I will do an individual triathalon at the Olympic level and I am doing the biking for the Wabbid Wombats. I am so looking forward to this challenge. *Trash talking will follow when I am not trying to type and eat dinner at the same time*
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'All, just your friendly neighbourhood rooster checking in to see that all is well in the hen house! As Becky stated in her post, I am on vaca until the 28th. I have lousy internet here in the mountains, but am doing my best to keep up.

My name is Greg and I would be happy to be the "walker" on a team. I don't really have a lot of other exercise options at the moment and am just trying to stick with the walking thing. I may join a gym in the near future, but still trying to screw up the courage to walk through the front doors. LOL. I could def do the full Ironman running/walking challenge, so if any of you are looking for a teammate, I'm in!

Becky, thank you very much for organizing all of this and putting in so much work/effort for everyone's benefit!
  • mrsduck77
    mrsduck77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My name is Bonnie I would like to join a team and do either the walking or biking portion. I also want to do the individual half triathalon.
  • lombrica
    Options
    FYI -- Your miles count for both the individual AND team... so if you are your team's biker - you only "need" to do the 112 miles and that would count for both. You do NOT need to do 224! That'd be crazy! Same with the running - you only do it one time and that is yours for both individual AND team.

The only exception would be if someone was swimming on more than one team... however, it appears that we will definately have enough swimmers... so we should be good!

YAY!! Thanks everyone!
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't know what I want to do for individual, probably swimming since that's what I'm doing for team. Seems logical :) I'll figure out what else :)
  • MrsRazor7
    MrsRazor7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Lexie and I am on Team Honey Badger :happy: I will be biking (lord help me) with Renae and Becky. I have been on this weight loss journey (my final one) officially for one year yesterday! I have done good so far and plan on finishing this journey this year. I have 2 sons, 8 and 4, and I am married to my best friend, who is in the army. I am a high school math teacher for over 12 years, and I spend most of my time with my family.

Becky, I would also like to do an individual one. I am going to attempt the swimming with no substitutions, so I will have to let you know how that goes. I haven't actually swimming continuous laps in a really long time...probably since I took swimming lessons as a kid. Do you have any suggestions on how I can start and get used to it. Is a kick board a good idea? I know how to do a lot of different strokes, but I am not sure which burns the most....but it is probably the breast stroke, because that kills me!

I am very excited about this one. I kind of pooped out on the August challenge :explode: It was harder getting on a schedule than I thought it would be. (sorry sara). But, I am working out my schedule kinks this week and I will help the Honey Badgers be victorious!!!!!