Pet Peeve - logging non 'exercise' exercise

Options
I know this may come off rude, and I don't mean it like that, but it drives me crazy when people log things like "cleaning, light effort", or "food preparation" and count that as their daily exercise.

I do realize this stuff burns calories, but it is not the same kind of heart rate exceleration and body challenge that real exercise will give you. To me it feels like grasping at straws just to earn extra calories. Then you see comments underneath congratulating that person for making dinner. I mean don't get me wrong, if I clean my whole house and break a sweat, I'll for sure log that... but if I just mop the floor for 15 min, that doesn't count for me.

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! One person asked if she should log playing on the beach with her kids as exercise, and how she would log it. I was like are you kidding me? I don't log things I do on a daily basis as exercise, such as cleaning and playing with my children. I only log the things I do to intentionally burn calories!
  • tammilk
    tammilk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually only log strenuous cleaning....like mowing my lawn with a push mower for over an hour in my hilly yard. I wear my HRM and burn well over 300 calories doing it. I log that because i know its going to make me a little more hungry that day.
    Just sweeping the kitchen floor quick....no. That doesnt cause me to break a sweat or get my heart pumping.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    As with everything it's personal choice!
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I only log it if it involved getting changed and going to the gym, or going for a run, anything else I figure fits in the Sedentary profile. After all even couch potatoes have to make dinner.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unless it's causing you to not lose weight (or gain it), why in the world would it drive you crazy?

I don't log those things, but it's none of my business if someone else does.
  • kateistoned
    Options
    Heyas!

I figure if it works for them and they are losing weight then I don't need to worry about what they are logging and/or why. Maybe for some people getting out the mop and mopping for 15 minutes breaks a sweat. I know when I clean the kitchen, I dance to keep my heart rate up and turn it into a work out. I think that as long as people are striving to make a change, others don't need to judge what they put in their diaries. But that's just my two cents!
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For some people, it is a good exercise. It depends on how much you weigh - because when you're 250+ pounds, doing any activity takes a lot out of you and increases your heart rate. And, if you're like me, you add little movements when you're cleaning to get more out of it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Pet peeves are just an excuse to be ticked off about things that you have no good reason to be ticked off about. Let it go. It has nothing to do with you.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    yeah I have to agree with you on this one. I clean for a living - maybe I should log all that work? :)
    Netty
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I know what you mean, but I use 'cleaning, light' to log particularly busy days at work. When I'm shifting and unpacking 50 boxes, it's more 'exercise' than I'd usually be having on a regular day at work and the easiest way to input that bit extra is to log it as 'cleaning'.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It annoys me too, these things are surely covered by your activity level, even sedentary adds an extra 500 cals to your BMR, so that must cover these kinds of things! I know if you're really heavy just mopping for 15 mins can be hard, but if you count these daily necessities as exercise then it gives you less of a reason to do "real" exercise
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    I log it because I typically clean only once or twice a week. Or if I'm dragging that rolling dishwasher out a few times per day. It's me moving around, in ways I don't normally do. It's not cardio, it's not EXERCISE, but it's still burning calories that wouldn't have been burned if I sat in front of my computer all day.

Plus, if cleaning for half an hour gets my calories outta the red, then yes, please!
  • FattySins
    Options
    I agree with you about the logging, though it would not bother me if I see someone else doing it! Every day 'living' has not helped me lose weight, it will be the extras that will count towards it.

If you have not done real effort towards weight loss, putting daily tasks in might make a good excuse but deep down you know that this is not what you are aiming for.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's different for each person. I don't log it when I mop the floor, but I'm not carrying around 100 extra pounds as I do it. Whatever, people need to do to encourage activity. Why judge them? Why let it get to you? Not worth it.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    For me, anything beyond an actual workout is just a bonus. I do plenty of hard sweaty labor (digging, etc...) around the house and I don't log it as exercise. The way I see it, if people do all these little things on a daily basis and want credit for it, they should just bump up their daily activity level.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I mean, do what you do and don't worry about what anyone else is doing - how the hell does it directly or indirectly affect you???
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to see things like food prep listed as exercise. The only one I do use on occasion is light gardening - because I hate gardening, I don't do it on a daily basis, so when I plant myself out there & I'm digging out weeds on an 85 degree day, raking out the flower beds, walking all over the yard & bending up and down picking up dead sticks or those stupid black walnuts from all over the lawn, I do count that. But - I also underestimate it (I did 40 minutes yesterday, but just counted 30).
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it. There are some who are very heavy or who cannot physically go work out or get exercise in like others can so food preperation and cleaning or any other "light" activity to you all is very beneficial for them. It's sad that someone out there who can only do those things or that may have a handicapt and not be able to do other things will read this post and may become discouraged like myself, b/c of the lack of support for the activity they are trying to do. if it's that bad of a pet peeve you know you don't have to look at it or be friends with anyone who logs that kind of activity. Enjoy your day
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning, heavy vigorous effort when I am scrubbing on my hands and knees, moving furniture, scrubbing walls and ceilings or cabinets, or anything that is beyond regular weekly cleaning. I do not log vacuuming, dusting, anything I do on a regular daily/weekly basis as exercise. I agree with the food prep part unless they are usually sedentay and going to the grocery store can be counted as exercise exepcially if you ahve to amke several trips and and down stairs to get the groceries in the house and put away.
    If the perople logging this keep losing, then it works for them. If you don't want to add it then don't! People are free to choose what they want to log and how they log it. You ahve to keep in mind what their average lifestyle might be (sedentary) so anything beyond going to the bathroom is exercise!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    yeah I have to agree with you on this one. I clean for a living - maybe I should log all that work? :)
    Netty

Actually, you should have that included in your daily activity level if you clean all day every day. You should be at least lightly active, if not higher.
This discussion has been closed.