Pet Peeve - logging non 'exercise' exercise

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I'm glad my mom has no clue how to find a forum thread. She's already embarrassed about how little she can do even just around her tiny one bedroom apartment (she has degenerative disc disease and is on disability for it), if she saw this or the other posts I've seen like it, she'd never do anything out of discouragement.

I'm glad the OP got to vent her feelings tho. That is the point of the forums.

You mean like the chick a couple weeks ago who was annoyed by any exercise logged that's less than a 500-calorie burn?

I guess my 45-minute, all-out sprint on the elliptical doesn't count, since it was only 418 calories. ;-)
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options
    Unless it's causing you to not lose weight (or gain it), why in the world would it drive you crazy?

I don't log those things, but it's none of my business if someone else does.

Because as a personal trainer, I see it all the time. People don't understand why they aren't losing weight when they are 'burning' so many calories. Or why they still have health concerns when they are so 'active'. I don't know any trainer that would consider making dinner part of the daily recommended exercise. It's great as an above and beyond thing, but unless you are raising that heart rate and intentionally making the effort to burn extra calories - it's not the kind of exercise that boasts health benefits.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I dont log stuff like that, unless i go to a fair or something and haev done LOTS of walking. other than that to me it seems like normal burn of every day cals. just like when i play with my daughter outside and run around. i dont log that either. In my eyes i dont want to log it and say oo i have 100 extra cals now to eat.. i rather not eat them!
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Pet Peeve............People whinging about how other people do it....FYI i log housework and ive had a succesful lost of 30llbs in 5 moths! you do what you do and i'll do what i do!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I usually only log strenuous cleaning....like mowing my lawn with a push mower for over an hour in my hilly yard. I wear my HRM and burn well over 300 calories doing it. I log that because i know its going to make me a little more hungry that day.
    Just sweeping the kitchen floor quick....no. That doesnt cause me to break a sweat or get my heart pumping.
    Oh gosh i add mowing the lawn to mine! i burn alot we have a huge yard, with hills, i sweat sometimes more than when i work out!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I definitely log my cleaning. I do it once a week, and it takes a good hour. I work up a sweat, and go up and down my stairs a zillion times. Not sure why it bothers anybody else!
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it. There are some who are very heavy or who cannot physically go work out or get exercise in like others can so food preperation and cleaning or any other "light" activity to you all is very beneficial for them. It's sad that someone out there who can only do those things or that may have a handicapt and not be able to do other things will read this post and may become discouraged like myself, b/c of the lack of support for the activity they are trying to do. if it's that bad of a pet peeve you know you don't have to look at it or be friends with anyone who logs that kind of activity. Enjoy your day

love it cause i cant do things due to my back and currently being on restrictions so for me walking on crutches, taking a shower is a flippen work out~~~~~ for me if i do things i am counting it as exercise cause i have physical limitations,..
  • fas815
    fas815 Posts: 31
    Options
    U go girl!!! How a person chooses to eat,exercise, log in their activities...AS LONG AS THEY ARE LOSING WEIGHT...why should it matter to any one else. Thanks for that!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Some of us slobs need the motivation of calories burned to put effort into our housework! :laugh:

Since logging my cleaning, my house has been much cleaner. Whatever works, right?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Unless it's causing you to not lose weight (or gain it), why in the world would it drive you crazy?

Because as a personal trainer, I see it all the time. People don't understand why they aren't losing weight when they are 'burning' so many calories. Or why they still have health concerns when they are so 'active'. I don't know any trainer that would consider making dinner part of the daily recommended exercise. It's great as an above and beyond thing, but unless you are raising that heart rate and intentionally making the effort to burn extra calories - it's not the kind of exercise that boasts health benefits.

If a person is having trouble and asks your advice, you give it and that person argues and continues the same behavior, then I can see being annoyed.

However, if they didn't ask, it's nunya and you should probably keep it to yourself. A lot of people log those calories and have success.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter what someone else wants to log or not log as exercise? Everyone has their own reasons. Some people chose to log less than they actually do, so maybe the did more than "light" cleaning, but dont want to over estimate because they dont have a hrm, or maybe they use that to prompt themselves to do more housework. Maybe they have their activity set to sedentary, so that everything over that is extra. Maybe they don't even eat that back anyway, but still like to log it. Maybe they are recovering from an injury, or sickness, or have a debilitating condition so that all they can do is light, and everything is an achievement. Let people use this tool as a tool, how best works for them. You use it how you want too.

This!!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yep, it does come off as rude. and negative and judgemental and very discouraging to read for people who may be limited in what they can do for whatever reason and can only accomplish things like "light housecleaning" or "playing on the beach with her kids" It's not for you to say what counts as exercise for them. People come here for support and when they read that they go from being happy with the progress they've made to feeling like crap..SMH
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Hey, I logged various forms of "playing on the beach" when I was on vacation! In my normal 9-5 I am the textbook definition of sedentary - I get up to go to the lunchroom and the bathroom. I figured being out on the beach for several hours a day playing frisbee, bocce, swimming, boogie boarding, etc was ALL above my normal daily activities!
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    U go girl!!! How a person chooses to eat,exercise, log in their activities...AS LONG AS THEY ARE LOSING WEIGHT...why should it matter to any one else. Thanks for that!

Too right! x
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Cool. So when someone comes to you asking your oppinion as to why they are not losing weight - you can say "because you are not working hard enough" but until then, to just throw out *it bugs me when people log cleaning calories* or whatever c*ap you said.....is pretty damn rude.

P.S. I don't log cleaning calories, I only log my time in the gym, but who the HELL am I to judge someone who does?
    [/quote]
  • fas815
    fas815 Posts: 31
    Options
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I generally log only the activities I do specifically to burn calories like working out at the gym. I do however, log my mowing once a week as exercise because #1 I spend over an hour mowing two yards with a push mower and I end up drenched in sweat and it really get my heart rate up #2 I just started this activity solely for the purpose of burning calories otherwise I would just let my husband continue to do it (haha that's bad I know but I do all the housework). I don't choose to log house cleaning but I will admit that I used to when i first started and before I lost 58 lbs. Now that I've lost 58 lbs and have began a workout routine involving "in the gym" type activities, I don't log those things anymore.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Hey, I logged various forms of "playing on the beach" when I was on vacation! In my normal 9-5 I am the textbook definition of sedentary - I get up to go to the lunchroom and the bathroom. I figured being out on the beach for several hours a day playing frisbee, bocce, swimming, boogie boarding, etc was ALL above my normal daily activities!

Clearly, whoever has an issue with logging playing on the beach has never tried to walk, much less play, on dry sand.

Also, I have some pretty majorly strong abs, but a day of jumping waves in the Atlantic leaves me with some very sore ab muscles. Clearly, it's effective.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yay! More from the pages of Tales About Things Other People Do That Don't Affect Me.
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options
    Whew!

I will say I find it ironic that I've heard that "this is supposed to be a supportive site" on more than one post, all of which are anything but supportive of my own opinion. If this is supposed to be supportive, let's be that, shall we?

I will also say that I didn't really clarify my own post. I understand that very obese people require small movements to make progress, and that going up the stairs may be a major milestone. The people that I see making these posts are NOT anywhere near this area, in fact are quite fit already. I would never knock someone who struggles to take every step for logging this kind of activity. However, for a fit person to log making dinner and consider that their recommended exercise for the day? My only concern is that they truly feel this is the same as going for a run or lifting weights. My HRM will show me burning calories just by sitting here typing this, but I haven't met anyone yet who would consider typing an exercise.

My post was inspired by my home page of the last few days, where all the posts revolve around food preparation logs. A pet peeve is just that, a minor annoyance, and don't worry - I'm not spending too much energy worrying about it. It took me all of 1 min to write a quick note about it, get it out and move on, probably less time than many of you spent getting upset with me for voicing it.

To each their own for sure. My opinion doesn't change, to me - especially if you are already in healthy weight range or only slightly overweight - every day activities like sweeping or making dinner simply do not and should not count. I am not talking about full top to bottom house cleaning, or catering a wedding of 500. There are always exceptions.
This discussion has been closed.