Pet Peeve - logging non 'exercise' exercise

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I understand your point completely. I sometimes question why some people are on this when they look great already. Then I come to a realization that it's a mental thing. If it makes em feel like they did something, and helps them continue to keep going; then it's for them. If something as tiny as that is a pet peeve for you, maybe we need to analyze what really matters in life. As the saying goes, "whatever floats your boat!"

So, because I am already a size 2-4, I should not be on here? I am not on here to lose weight and state that in my profile. I am here to maintain and get toned and ripped. In order to get toned and ripped while maintaining my current weight, I need to keep track of my protein and carb intake, to make sure they are high enough, while my overall calories are not in excess.

I totally agree. I've had more than one person ask me why I'm on this website when I've met my goal weight and I look great.

Hold on a second. This is MY FITNESS PAL and NOT MY WEIGHT LOSS PAL. I have other fitness goals that I am trying to achieve (with many different health issues going on), so why can't thinner people be here too? It's ridiculous.

I have to agree - well said.

we all have our own journey - a friend of mine on here, who's truly inspiring and motivating said that today.

everyone is here for different reasons, although we may have all come here for 1 reason - to be healthy, change our lifestyle, etc. we have all accomplished many things and those accomplishments should never be belittled by other people.
    just like, never put down people's dreams- for that may be all they have..

Thank you, both, B and chevy88grl. I am NOT going to apologize for the fact that I am this size and have been all my life. It does not mean I have always been healthy, because goodness knows I have not. I was just blessed with good genetics. Now that I am here, I am eating better and learning new things every day about myself, my eating and workouts. I am also entertained, which I love.

Bah! I've met my goal, look and feel fantastic if I so say myself. I stay here as well. I said "I come to a realization", meaning "hey, everyone has their own choice. I should be conscience about that and not be judgemental. Who knows what they're going through." If you have been small and skinny your whole life, more power to you. I hope it continues that way and that MFP makes it a supportive enviorment for you. I do love how human nature; always looks for the negative in life. Let's not turn molehills into mountains. Have an awesome week!

Agreed, I've recevied some really venomous comments from people who have been very rude because they can "see" (from my pictures) that I can't possibly understand where they're coming from so my opinions/advice/ideas/whatnot don't matter. I'm here because I have had success here and not anywhere else, I'm here because it worked for me and is still working for me. At first I was pretty hurt by these comments, but now I just feel bad for people who have such anamosity toward me when they don't know where I come from or what my journey looked like . . .

I was the original poster of this. It got mangeled and twisted into something evil. Never meant to be. I was the Bah part as well. Anyway, I agree with the person who wanted to eat apples. I can join ya! But I think I'll take it as pie today :)
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    It probably started at the word pet peeve....weightloss is such a sensitive subject....I think there are catch words that raise peoples defenses.
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options
    It probably started at the word pet peeve....weightloss is such a sensitive subject....I think there are catch words that raise peoples defenses.

Agreed! I have already learned from this one post how to phrase things differently so as to not get everyone's panties in a knot.

But then again, I'm just a mighty, conceited, miserable, know it all troll anyway. I hope I'm at least one of those cute trolls from my childhood with the flourescent colour hair. Might as well rock it!
  • routerguy666
    Options
    But then again, I'm just a mighty, conceited, miserable, know it all troll anyway. I hope I'm at least one of those cute trolls from my childhood with the flourescent colour hair. Might as well rock it!

Make sure you log a few calories burned each time you dye your hair... :p
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I understand your point completely. I sometimes question why some people are on this when they look great already. Then I come to a realization that it's a mental thing. If it makes em feel like they did something, and helps them continue to keep going; then it's for them. If something as tiny as that is a pet peeve for you, maybe we need to analyze what really matters in life. As the saying goes, "whatever floats your boat!"

So, because I am already a size 2-4, I should not be on here? I am not on here to lose weight and state that in my profile. I am here to maintain and get toned and ripped. In order to get toned and ripped while maintaining my current weight, I need to keep track of my protein and carb intake, to make sure they are high enough, while my overall calories are not in excess.

I totally agree. I've had more than one person ask me why I'm on this website when I've met my goal weight and I look great.

Hold on a second. This is MY FITNESS PAL and NOT MY WEIGHT LOSS PAL. I have other fitness goals that I am trying to achieve (with many different health issues going on), so why can't thinner people be here too? It's ridiculous.

I have to agree - well said.

we all have our own journey - a friend of mine on here, who's truly inspiring and motivating said that today.

everyone is here for different reasons, although we may have all come here for 1 reason - to be healthy, change our lifestyle, etc. we have all accomplished many things and those accomplishments should never be belittled by other people.
    just like, never put down people's dreams- for that may be all they have..

Thank you, both, B and chevy88grl. I am NOT going to apologize for the fact that I am this size and have been all my life. It does not mean I have always been healthy, because goodness knows I have not. I was just blessed with good genetics. Now that I am here, I am eating better and learning new things every day about myself, my eating and workouts. I am also entertained, which I love.

Bah! I've met my goal, look and feel fantastic if I so say myself. I stay here as well. I said "I come to a realization", meaning "hey, everyone has their own choice. I should be conscience about that and not be judgemental. Who knows what they're going through." If you have been small and skinny your whole life, more power to you. I hope it continues that way and that MFP makes it a supportive enviorment for you. I do love how human nature; always looks for the negative in life. Let's not turn molehills into mountains. Have an awesome week!

Agreed, I've recevied some really venomous comments from people who have been very rude because they can "see" (from my pictures) that I can't possibly understand where they're coming from so my opinions/advice/ideas/whatnot don't matter. I'm here because I have had success here and not anywhere else, I'm here because it worked for me and is still working for me. At first I was pretty hurt by these comments, but now I just feel bad for people who have such anamosity toward me when they don't know where I come from or what my journey looked like . . .

I was the original poster of this. It got mangeled and twisted into something evil. Never meant to be. I was the Bah part as well. Anyway, I agree with the person who wanted to eat apples. I can join ya! But I think I'll take it as pie today :)

in that case, I apologize for having taken it the wrong way. I joke a good deal on here, but my fitness and eating are not jokes to me. That is one thing I am serious about. So, thank you for clearing it up. Oh, and can you pass some pie my way? I've logged my food for the day and have calories left and have not yet worked out today. :bigsmile:
  • bertasbelly
    Options
    I know this may come off rude, and I don't mean it like that, but it drives me crazy when people log things like "cleaning, light effort", or "food preparation" and count that as their daily exercise.

I do realize this stuff burns calories, but it is not the same kind of heart rate exceleration and body challenge that real exercise will give you. To me it feels like grasping at straws just to earn extra calories. Then you see comments underneath congratulating that person for making dinner. I mean don't get me wrong, if I clean my whole house and break a sweat, I'll for sure log that... but if I just mop the floor for 15 min, that doesn't count for me.

OP'S words:
    "I know this may come off rude"

You knew what you were doing when you posted this and you may be new to MFP but I hardly think that is an excuse to cry ignorance!

I read through this entire thread and each time you answered to the comments being made revealed to me that you are simply here to stir up trouble and that is your only real interest here. You like to argue and so you opened up on this forum with the express intent to argue and that is defined as a TROLL in most message board sites.

Your opinion is inflammatory and you knew that when you started this thread. To bash and abuse others with your high and mighty attitudes and so called knowledge is unfortunate and diabolical in nature. People are more than happy to support and assist others on this site when there is a valid question or need that is posted, but to post an inflammatory opinion is strictly designed to vent and treat others with disdain due to your already inflated ideas of your knowledge!

I would encourage you to use your knowledge to help people instead of abusing them with that so-called knowledge you are waving around here like a badge! Trainer or not, you do not need to disparage others for how they use this site!

Just my 2 cents worth!

All I've seen her do is defend herself against people (like you) who are attacking her for stating an OPINION. She vented in a general forum, would you rather she set to flogging others individually as you all have and really risk setting people back on their own journey? No one is forcing you to read or reply to this, she is not forcing anyone to change how they log their activity, she is just simply pointing out that some of the logging practices she's seen are double dipping on the calories earned. Everyone, no matter what their basic activity level, needs to make their meals, no? Just like everyone also needs to maintain their home, correct? So those calories are already factored into their chosen MFP lifestyle. OF COURSE, if you clean for a living or are doing housework above and beyond the typical wipe down and vacuum, feel free to add up those calories but otherwise you are setting yourself up to consume calories that you didn't really earn. If you consume more than your allotted calories too frequently you're not going to make much if any progress. I think at this point it is beating a dead horse that many of you are freely admitting has been dead for a while. Done and done.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Then you see comments underneath congratulating that person for making dinner. I mean don't get me wrong, if I clean my whole house and break a sweat, I'll for sure log that... but if I just mop the floor for 15 min, that doesn't count for me.

are you jealous =[ !!! oh no!

too bad people have free will to do what they want with their MFP :O

get over it and delete them.. oh my god. How old are you exactly? Is there a reason why you need to post a forum online about this? wow. GROW UP. And this is coming from a 19 year old.

;)
  • 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    Options
    I know this may come off rude, and I don't mean it like that, but it drives me crazy when people log things like "cleaning, light effort", or "food preparation" and count that as their daily exercise.

I do realize this stuff burns calories, but it is not the same kind of heart rate exceleration and body challenge that real exercise will give you. To me it feels like grasping at straws just to earn extra calories. Then you see comments underneath congratulating that person for making dinner. I mean don't get me wrong, if I clean my whole house and break a sweat, I'll for sure log that... but if I just mop the floor for 15 min, that doesn't count for me.

Cooking dinner in my house hold takes a lot of work and I deff break a sweat, chopping, cutiing, washing, kneading so on. I make real full course meals, I burn calories. I don't count them as exercise when I am totaling how much I worked out but I do log it especially if it takes more 45 mins.
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options

too bad people have free will to do what they want with their MFP :O

For sure they do, just like I have free will with mine :)
This discussion has been closed.