MFP Bullying and Negativity needs to stop!

Options
123457»

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the Toyota commercial where the girl is all proud of herself for signing her parents up on Facebook? She's got hundreds of "friends", and she's feeling pity for her poor parents who only have twenty-something "friends". Meanwhile, the scene cuts away to her parents driving the advertised vehicle on a gravel road with 4 mountain bikes loaded and another couple in the back seats.
    I own that car! It's a Venza. I lurve my new car. But I resent the ads and how they seem to focus on older people as their target audience. Or maybe I really am old.

Its a fairly cool car. It's still just a feeble attempt at copying my Infiniti FX45.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The worst kind of response is where we pick up on an attribute of the poster and use this to belittle them rather than to meet their statements head on with a constructive and logical argument. For example making assumption on something in a profile picture and making comments about it, or picking up on spelling or grammar issues and using this to make people feel stupid. Come on people - that's not what this community is or should be about!

So - read this then go forth and be nice to each other :) I know its what you all do best.

You think just because you are running in your profile pic that people should listen to you?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the Toyota commercial where the girl is all proud of herself for signing her parents up on Facebook? She's got hundreds of "friends", and she's feeling pity for her poor parents who only have twenty-something "friends". Meanwhile, the scene cuts away to her parents driving the advertised vehicle on a gravel road with 4 mountain bikes loaded and another couple in the back seats.
    I own that car! It's a Venza. I lurve my new car. But I resent the ads and how they seem to focus on older people as their target audience. Or maybe I really am old.
    at 33? Nahhh, not old:noway: :happy:

Speaking of that car ad, never in my life had I thought of that commercial as deeply as the person mentioning it above. Wow, I don't know the persons user name that shared their thoughts but wanted to say, you are incredibly perceptive! What you got out of the commercial really made me think... Mom & Dad driving off in the car while the daughter counts up her facebook friends, are the SMART ones!:drinker: They are the ones leaving the house and having REAL FUN together!:heart::wink:

Wow! You really get me!!! I'm speechless. :~wink~:
    :laugh: :tongue:
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Thank you so much for putting this out there. I really hope that people take the time to read this, and perhaps think through their responses to others.

I think it is a form of bullying and no one should be made to feel "dumb or stupid" for asking questions.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm very disappointed to have to bump this thread today, but having read the way our community ripped into a new member looking for other religious people to join her support network I feel that I should....

Obviously, the user should have read the 'please read before posting' topic which states that these forums are not be be used to discuss religion and politics. A single response from someone reminding her of that fact would have been sufficient - on the first page of a 5 page thread she apologized for causing any offence. Most of the rest of the thread was used to laugh at her beliefs.

Regardless of our personal view on the religion I'm sure we all agree that this site should be used to encourage those who want to improve their health and fitness, and I'm pretty sure we put this person back a step - I hope you're proud!

Nuff said. Now play nice people!
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    I love what you said.............

This is where I wish the site would add some categories for people with specific goals, such as:

Low carbers, Paleo, clean eaters
    Vegetarians / Vegans
    Low Fat, Calorie Counters
    Gaining Weight
    Maintainers
    People with over 100 pounds to lose
    HCG'rs.
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

This would give people the opportunity to meet and converse with people that have similar goals in mind and would cut down on a lot of the mud slinging.............

Great idea! I am also a member of another site that does what you suggested....works great! Just not as easy as this to manuever.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Whilst I think having the above categories would be useful I think a bit of common decency would go a lot further :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm very disappointed to have to bump this thread today, but having read the way our community ripped into a new member looking for other religious people to join her support network I feel that I should....

Obviously, the user should have read the 'please read before posting' topic which states that these forums are not be be used to discuss religion and politics. A single response from someone reminding her of that fact would have been sufficient - on the first page of a 5 page thread she apologized for causing any offence. Most of the rest of the thread was used to laugh at her beliefs.

Regardless of our personal view on the religion I'm sure we all agree that this site should be used to encourage those who want to improve their health and fitness, and I'm pretty sure we put this person back a step - I hope you're proud!

Nuff said. Now play nice people!
    That's an important post you just wrote.... Sadly I saw that thread last night and it bothered me that the OP that began it took upon themselves to act that way... I had just been feeling the site was actually being kinder... then I saw that. :brokenheart:

Keeps me from posting much and I've seen that sort of thing done the night before to a wonderful new member...totally made fun of and ripped into and all she ask was a question, a simple question... If someone feels the incredible urge to take out some anger it's time we take a break and stay away from the boards, new ppl don't understand why they are being attacked. I don't believe it has anything at all to do with the new (or veteran member) person themselves but the posters that act that way & I can see it would be very difficult not to take it personally.

:flowery: