Exhausted with Low/No Carb Eating

Options
I recently began eating a modified version of the Mayo Clinic Diet/Grapefruit Diet which consists of:

Breakfast
2 Eggs
2 Slices of Bacon
Grapefruit or Grapefruit Juice

Lunch
Salad (Any dressing)
Meat (Any amount)
(I add a string cheese, or Laughing Cow)

Dinner
Salad (Any dressing)
Meat (Any amount)
Veggies

I’ve lost 7 pounds in 7 days and wanted to use it to kick start my weight loss again and get me out of my rut. However, I find myself completely exhausted with the lack of carbs and kind of cranky. A friend has lost 13 pounds in the same 7 days and is feeling the same symptoms.

It’s only been 7 days but I’m worried about weight gain when I started eating carbs again.

Would it be a good idea to start slowly with complex carbs? Scared!

Replies

• Angelamu77
    Options
    I am no pro on the subject however I think healthy carbs are always the best choice.

Gaining back might happen however it doesn't have to be all of what you lost. Good luck
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    whole grains, whole grains!! your body needs them...the problem is is that usually people indulge in them so much and that usually leads to their weight gain. you dont have to worry about gaining weight if you eat them in moderation (like any food out there). but, they are just as important as any food group on the food pyramid!

so definitely try to make at LEAST half your grains whole. they are so much more healthier for you and keep you fuller longer than white carbs <3
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    That is the problem with protein diets/fads... a body doesn't get enough complex carbs and your left feeling weak and tired. Yes by all means add them back in and if your worried about it try and consume them in the earlier half of the day. Our brains got brainwashed when it was all about the protein but healthy complex carbs are necessary. Great questions!

Feel free everyone to add me as a friend for some calorie free food for thought each day. Colleen (Seattle)
  • daniellevietti
    daniellevietti Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls!

I completley agree about needing carbs and everything on the food pyramid. I've been stuck at this weight for months now and was having major mental blockage about getting passed it. I thought this would help jumpstart me and it has.

This weekend I'll start incorporating whole grains and complex carbs back into my diet. Looking forward to it.

I have learned one thing. How to like meat! I never cared for any type of meat before but now like bacon and chicken :)
  • Eshathediva
    Options
    Don't be scared you won't gain it back, you just have to eat your carbs in moderation and follow the allotted amount given in your food diary.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    whole grains, whole grains!! your body needs them...the problem is is that usually people indulge in them so much and that usually leads to their weight gain. you dont have to worry about gaining weight if you eat them in moderation (like any food out there). but, they are just as important as any food group on the food pyramid!

so definitely try to make at LEAST half your grains whole. they are so much more healthier for you and keep you fuller longer than white carbs <3

Yes you need whole grains...I usually have some whole wheat tortillas or bread. You know your body and what you need, depriving might not be the best answer. I had to learn that over time.
  • Eshathediva
    Options
    I've done it and kept the weight off and I'm still losing.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far. The first week of going low carb is always difficult. It takes time for it to pass.

On that note, just as an FYI.... that Mayo Clinic Grapefruit diet wasn't put together by the "real" Mayo Clinic.

http://www.ezweightlossdietplans.com/2010/01/the-mayo-clinic-diet-is-an-imposter/

I would introduce a MODERATE amount of carbs back into your diet and maintain a high level of clean, unprocessed protein. A substantial portion of the weight loss you experienced in the first week is due to water-loss...so you'll see some pounds come back on the scale, but that isn't true weight gain... just water retention.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have tried a similar diet but had to add some carbs. A whole wheat english muffin or Weight Control Quaker oatmeal in the morning seemed to help. I made sure to not have the carbs after Noon.
  • ConfidenceNMe
    Options
    Your body needs those complex carbs! You start losing weight quickly at first but then you'll hit a wall with the Mayo diet- I've done it. As long as your eating complex carbs, Your body is going to burn that off. Your body also goes into starvation mode if youre lacking in carbs and below your daily calorie goal. The more you workout the more you need to eat! Foods like oatmeal are awesome before a good workout- plus you'll feel full longer- and yes! whole grains! THat's why they're the largest group on the food pyramid!
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    I always feel a LOT better when I eat complex carbs, like REAL whole grain bread (not the one where they add fibres to white flour ...) or muesli for a late breakfast, like at 9 or 10 in the morning. My day starts with only yogurt and fruit, though -- can't eat much so early. If I do NOT get any carbs before noon, I start being ... let's call it "un-nice" ;-))))

After that I can go without any carbs for the rest of the day, if I want to. I sometimes do have "dark" pasta for dinner with my kids though, sometimes only the tomato-veggie-meat-sauce, too, that depends ....

Good luck!!!
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    good luck, 7lbs in 7 days is kind of extreme. i recommend a slow weight loss like a pound a week maybe 2lbs if possible.

ive lost 60lbs and been able to keep it off for a year now. ive put on muscle weight in the last 2 months due to some serious gym time!

Diets - they work while your on the program and then so man people gain the weight right back when they go off of the program.

also i recommend staying away from "any dressing" ranch dressing is LOADED with calories, bad calories, it will make your healthy salad just as bad as eating a giant burger with all the stuff on it. Light dressing, italian, stuff like that has like 15 calories for a tablespoon or something i dont quite remember.

Just be really careful about this diet your on. I prefer to stay away from diets and just watch calories and portion control. I lost my 60lbs without a "Diet"

Diet is actually - what you eat rather than... a weight loss program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I recently began eating a modified version of the Mayo Clinic Diet/Grapefruit Diet which consists of:

Breakfast
    2 Eggs
    2 Slices of Bacon

Lunch
    Salad (Any dressing)
    Meat (Any amount)
    (I add a string cheese, or Laughing Cow)

Dinner
    Salad (Any dressing)
    Meat (Any amount)
    Veggies

I’ve lost 7 pounds in 7 days and wanted to use it to kick start my weight loss again and get me out of my rut. However, I find myself completely exhausted with the lack of carbs and kind of cranky. A friend has lost 13 pounds in the same 7 days and is feeling the same symptoms.

It’s only been 7 days but I’m worried about weight gain when I started eating carbs again.

Would it be a good idea to start slowly with complex carbs? Scared!
    Carbs supply glucose for brain function so being cranky ain't abnormal. And with low/no carbs you will feel sluggish until your body starts converting fat for fuel. You want to keep muscle so best be strength training or that muscle will disappear.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I did the no carb thing for a bit, and in the end actually had more energy, I guess the body took a bit to learn how to use the protein? It does seem like a great kick start though.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Add some light yogurt and another light fruit (berries, apples, etc). Increase your carb level to 65-80. You will still lose weight, just won't be so droopy.

What you want to avoid is starchy carbs -- even the "good" kind: oats, cereals, rice, bread, beans. These sabotage the low-carb eater in a heartbeat.

I keep my carbs down to about 75-90g per day. I eat no starches. I allow myself one ice cream treat in the evening if I have successfully stuck to my plan. I eat more and different kinds of vegetables than you are, and I eat them mostly raw or steamed with a little parmesan cheese for flavor.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    With the Atkins diet, which is similar, they recommend starting with fruit first and then nuts, seeds and finally wholegrains when you start increasing carbs. Build it up slowly, perhaps an increase every few days and you'll probably find you still lose weight fine. I would definitely start introducing fruit straight away if you're feeling that bad and maybe some nuts and seed. Severely low carb diets suit some people but not others. It's obviously not suiting you so bring on the fruit and nuts.
  • daniellevietti
    daniellevietti Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good luck, 7lbs in 7 days is kind of extreme. i recommend a slow weight loss like a pound a week maybe 2lbs if possible.

ive lost 60lbs and been able to keep it off for a year now. ive put on muscle weight in the last 2 months due to some serious gym time!

Diets - they work while your on the program and then so man people gain the weight right back when they go off of the program.

also i recommend staying away from "any dressing" ranch dressing is LOADED with calories, bad calories, it will make your healthy salad just as bad as eating a giant burger with all the stuff on it. Light dressing, italian, stuff like that has like 15 calories for a tablespoon or something i dont quite remember.

Just be really careful about this diet your on. I prefer to stay away from diets and just watch calories and portion control. I lost my 60lbs without a "Diet"

I agree, trust me. I lost my first 50 pounds very quickly by working out 4 days a week and eating my daily alloted calories. I've been stuck at the same weight for months now and was wanting to help get myself moving again.

You're completely right about the dressings too, it's scary how much fat/carbs are in them. My favorite is also the Light Italian :)
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    just keep in mind that carbs wont make you fat. if your body is used to getting 0-20 grams of carbs a day and then the next day you have 100 or so you might gain some water weight. its only temporary though and will go away. remember that the only thing that makes a person gain fat is a calorie surplus so if you like eating carbs then eat them! :)
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    whats wrong with fat or carbs? as long as its not trans fat youre fine. there are many health benefits of both
  • Wilfred808
    Options

I agree, trust me. I lost my first 50 pounds very quickly by working out 4 days a week and eating my daily alloted calories. I've been stuck at the same weight for months now and was wanting to help get myself moving again.

You're completely right about the dressings too, it's scary how much fat/carbs are in them. My favorite is also the Light Italian :)
    i meant to quote you
This discussion has been closed.