Exhausted with Low/No Carb Eating

Options

Replies

• thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    just keep in mind that carbs wont make you fat. if your body is used to getting 0-20 grams of carbs a day and then the next day you have 100 or so you might gain some water weight. its only temporary though and will go away. remember that the only thing that makes a person gain fat is a calorie surplus so if you like eating carbs then eat them! :)

This is so untrue. Carbs absolutely can make you fat - in fact they are the single macro that does control fat gain/loss becase unlike protein and fat, they are the only macro that create an insulin response. When insulin is present in the body, the body can't release stored body fat until all carbs are either burned or stored as fat. All calories are not created equal, and calories in/calories out is an outdated approach to weight loss.

OP, what you are experiencing is often called the "carb flu". It's a period of adjustment where your body transitions from burning carbs to burning fat. It very often happens during the first week or two, then once the body is converting stored body fat, your energy comes back plus some. Carbs are not essential although not harmful in proper amounts. Grains are not necessary just because they appear on a pyramid/plate/whatever, but that's up to your own preference and opinion.

Your rapid first week weight loss is from burning liver glycogen. It carries a lot of water with it. If you add a bunch of carbs back into your diet (and it doesn't matter what kind), you will restock your glycogen and all the water with it - this can be up to about 10 pounds alone.

Easy trick for effortless weight loss and eating whatever you think is best for you??? Keep your carbs under 100 g per day, eat about 1g per pound of lean body weight worth of protein, and fill the rest of your day with healthy fat - as much as you need to not feel hungry or cranky. You will easily lose weight. Go lower with the carbs to lose even more fat, or if you are diabetic or getting there.
    ok, lets use this as an example.

person A needs 2000 calories to maintain the tissue they currently have( and also cellular processes etc.). that person eats 1800 calories that day.

how is that persons body going to create more tissue( fat ) when it doesnt even have the energy to maintain the tissue it already has?

carbs may result in temporary fat storage but if you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day you will have a loss of total fat

WRONG. You will have a reduction in WEIGHT. possibly. if you consume more carbs than your body needs to burn, you will store those carbs as FAT. When insulin is circulating, th hormonal response to release stored body fat is halted because the brain is saying "carbs must be available because insulin is here". So your body will burn the carbs, and then catabolize muscle if it needs too. This is how people can end up 'skinny fat.' they are losing scale weight, but not necessarily fat. Their bodies are having to sacrifice other tissues. I'll use myself as an example. I've lost 40 pounds of scale weight since May 9, but by body fat % tracking, I've lost 50 pounds of fat, and increased my lean mass by 10 lbs. Fat loss and weight loss are two totally separate things.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    if you dont believe me then please read this.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

if you click the blue words in the article it will take you to pubmed.gov, one of the best places you can get your info from on the internet

now lets see your sources and it better not come from a dot com

".gov" as in a government website?

As in the US government?

The same government that heads one of the most obese nations in the world?

Yeah, not taking nutritional advice from them. Nothing against you personally.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    just keep in mind that carbs wont make you fat. if your body is used to getting 0-20 grams of carbs a day and then the next day you have 100 or so you might gain some water weight. its only temporary though and will go away. remember that the only thing that makes a person gain fat is a calorie surplus so if you like eating carbs then eat them! :)

This is so untrue. Carbs absolutely can make you fat - in fact they are the single macro that does control fat gain/loss becase unlike protein and fat, they are the only macro that create an insulin response. When insulin is present in the body, the body can't release stored body fat until all carbs are either burned or stored as fat. All calories are not created equal, and calories in/calories out is an outdated approach to weight loss.

OP, what you are experiencing is often called the "carb flu". It's a period of adjustment where your body transitions from burning carbs to burning fat. It very often happens during the first week or two, then once the body is converting stored body fat, your energy comes back plus some. Carbs are not essential although not harmful in proper amounts. Grains are not necessary just because they appear on a pyramid/plate/whatever, but that's up to your own preference and opinion.

Your rapid first week weight loss is from burning liver glycogen. It carries a lot of water with it. If you add a bunch of carbs back into your diet (and it doesn't matter what kind), you will restock your glycogen and all the water with it - this can be up to about 10 pounds alone.

Easy trick for effortless weight loss and eating whatever you think is best for you??? Keep your carbs under 100 g per day, eat about 1g per pound of lean body weight worth of protein, and fill the rest of your day with healthy fat - as much as you need to not feel hungry or cranky. You will easily lose weight. Go lower with the carbs to lose even more fat, or if you are diabetic or getting there.

person A needs 2000 calories to maintain the tissue they currently have( and also cellular processes etc.). that person eats 1800 calories that day.

how is that persons body going to create more tissue( fat ) when it doesnt even have the energy to maintain the tissue it already has?

carbs may result in temporary fat storage but if you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day you will have a loss of total fat

Not really..........with a carb and starch based eating plan the body is continously having to dish out insulin in which insulin is storing the carbs as fat instead of burning them. So the end result is fat storage. It may cause weight loss, but that person is going to have a higher fat % than someone that has a fat and protein based eating plan.
  • thegoodner
    Options

Thegoodner... Great info and great post, but not totally true. Protein will also cause an insulin spike, but it does not raise your blood glucose levels.

:) Thanks for the clarification
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

You think of people as a machine. Humans are lot more complicated than a car engine. There are hormones that control what your body does with its fuel. How do you know the calorie expenditure of person A? Isn't it logical that what person A eats will make them more/less efficient, therefore dictate how many calories they burn?

2000 calories in twinkies does not equal 2000 calories in steak with spinach and olive oil.
    Edit: Maybe in a lab with a bunsen burner, but not in the human body.
  • thegoodner
    Options
    Ha! there's the problem!!! Government trust!! LOL!!
  • Grokette
    Options

if you click the blue words in the article it will take you to pubmed.gov, one of the best places you can get your info from on the internet

As in the US government?

:laugh: :laugh: I feel the same way.

There are plenty of doctors that can back up our statements as well as documentaries explaining the same exact thing we are saying.

Please read and do some research!!
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    ditto watching "Fat Head"... it's free on Hulu too...

www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

Another resource, is Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Read it and it will change the way you think about the overweight completely.
    ive seen it, so you are saying a should listen to a computer programmer over peer reviewed studies on pubmed?the article i sent you disproves the whole insulin thing. also, if youve seen that documentary you know that sat fats and cholesterol arent bad for you. that makes you more intelligent than a lot of people regarding nutrition

=====you also didnt answer the question in the example i made. look it over and answer me=====

i dont mean to come off sounding rude i just dont want you to be scared of carbs, you can enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight and get healthier. read the information i sent you and get back to me.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The best meal plan is one that is individually tailored to your individual body. With that said, let's not get overly influenced by some of these fringe internet groups that have decided to simply throw away 40 years worth of nutritional research.

Arguments like "watch Fathead" or watch this documentary or any other highly agenda-based documentary is not a safe rule to live by. Based on that method, one could watch "Bigger, Stronger and Faster" and pretty much deem steroids as less dangerous than taking an antacid.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

As in the US government?

ETA: This webpage you cited is just a search engine for scientific research. People know that these types of pages exist.
  • Grokette
    Options

Thegoodner... Great info and great post, but not totally true. Protein will also cause an insulin spike, but it does not raise your blood glucose levels.

:) Thanks for the clarification

Protein can cause an insulin spike and can raise blood glucose levels in some cases. That is why most low carb plans call for high fat, moderate protein and low carbs - to even out insulin and blood glucose levels so there are no more highs and lows.
  • Wilfred808
    Options

Not really..........with a carb and starch based eating plan the body is continously having to dish out insulin in which insulin is storing the carbs as fat instead of burning them. So the end result is fat storage. It may cause weight loss, but that person is going to have a higher fat % than someone that has a fat and protein based eating plan.
    there will be temporary fat storage, that is true. but if you are in a caloric deficit you will not experience a net fat gain LIKE IVE ALREADY SAID. please read the articles and other posts ive made.

from your post i can see that you havent even bothered to click the link or read most of what ive posted. but you barge into a conversation acting like you have. pls go
  • Grokette
    Options

Another resource, is Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Read it and it will change the way you think about the overweight completely.
    ive seen it, so you are saying a should listen to a computer programmer over peer reviewed studies on pubmed?the article i sent you disproves the whole insulin thing. also, if youve seen that documentary you know that sat fats and cholesterol arent bad for you. that makes you more intelligent than a lot of people regarding nutrition

=====you also didnt answer the question in the example i made. look it over and answer me=====

i dont mean to come off sounding rude i just dont want you to be scared of carbs, you can enjoy the foods you love and still lose weight and get healthier. read the information i sent you and get back to me.

Plain and simple - we don't believe in the Everything in moderation like you do. I am not being rude either, just being honest and straight to the point.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I recently began eating a modified version of the Mayo Clinic Diet/Grapefruit Diet which consists of:

Breakfast
    2 Eggs
    2 Slices of Bacon
    Grapefruit or Grapefruit Juice

Lunch
    Salad (Any dressing)
    Meat (Any amount)
    (I add a string cheese, or Laughing Cow)

Dinner
    Salad (Any dressing)
    Meat (Any amount)
    Veggies

I’ve lost 7 pounds in 7 days and wanted to use it to kick start my weight loss again and get me out of my rut. However, I find myself completely exhausted with the lack of carbs and kind of cranky. A friend has lost 13 pounds in the same 7 days and is feeling the same symptoms.

It’s only been 7 days but I’m worried about weight gain when I started eating carbs again.

Would it be a good idea to start slowly with complex carbs? Scared!

Maybe Low-Carb eating isn't for you but before you give up you may want to read up on the Anabolic Diet. It's a more tolerable version of low-carb eating and mixes well with exercise. There's a link in my signature.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    from your post i can see that you havent even bothered to click the link or read most of what ive posted. but you barge into a conversation acting like you have. pls go
    No offense to you at all but you need to take a chill pill. Don't worry, it's not the sugar-free kind =)
  • thegoodner
    Options

I'm not scared of carbs. I just know how they affect me, and many many many others like me. When I reach my goal body composition, I will go back to eating carbs from veggies, fruits, nuts, etc to the tune of 100-150g a day for maintenance. But for fat loss, which is my current goal, I will stay well below 100g. I did answer your question...I think. You subscribe to calories in/calories out. I don't and if you look back I talked about losing weight vs. losing fat. I like Fat Head not because of the guy who narrates it, but the evidence shown and the people he went to for research. I know what works for me, and for ME, Gary Taubes, Loren Cordain, Mark Sisson, etc have it right. Carbs are not inherently evil, they just don't promote fat loss!
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    well . . . in my opinion (I know -- who cares, right?!), low/no carb eating is a silly fad that is unsustainable as a lifestyle, and is detrimental to those who exercise, as well as those who like to have energy.

EAT YOUR CARBS!

blessings.

Sorry, but low carb eating is not a silly fad. Please read William Banting's Letter of Corpulence, he is considered to be the Father of low carb and this was written in the 1800's.

Low Carb eating is about eating CLEAN, WHOLE foods such as fats, meats and primarily vegetables with some fruits added in. Where is this a fad and where is not not sustainable???

I started Atkins in 2003 when I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes. I lost 100 pounds in 6 months and kept that weight off for 8 years until 2008 when I had a near fatal car accident and then I gained a lot of weight due to hospital food, my hubby not being a great cook and not really knowing how to shop and the fact that I couldn't exercise for a long time.

It is an excuse to eat cake, cookies and ice cream to say that low carb is not sustainable.

i meant to quote you, please read above ^^^

and why cant you enjoy cake, cookies, or ice cream on a diet? please say the sugar content lol

It is not part of my lifestyle.

Cake and cookies are processed white flour, sugar and preservatives. Ice cream I will eat IF and a big if..........I make it using RAW cream from a farmer, raw sugar and it is home made.......

I don't eat anything processed or from a box or container from the store.

My meats, eggs, raw dairy and raw cheese ALL come from local farmers. I get vegetables and fruits from my CSA club, farmers markets and local pick your own gardens and orchards.

When my husband eats bread - it is because I make it for him and it is gluten free.

I make my own sugar scrubs, shampoo, soaps, cleaning supplies and lotions. I use soap nuts for laundry washing and household cleaning in additon to the cleaning supplies I make at home.

There is no need for the crap in our eating. My lifestyle and my opinion.

You do what makes you happy and what you can live with.

if you dont like to eat sweets then dont. but your not going to experience any benefit of body composition by cutting them out. there is no one food that makes a person fat, its there overall diet for the day. i know it makes a lot of peoples diets much easier to know that if at the end of the day they have reached their protein and fat macros and can fit it a dessert they like then they can eat it. there is no reason you cant enjoy the foods you love and still get healthier. as long as most of your calories and nutrition come from whole foods (something we both agree on) then you are fine

the only reason i replyed to you was bc you made it sound like there is some magical benefit to cutting out carbs and if youre eating carbs youre doing it wrong

that being said you have lost 100 pounds which is a fantastic acheivement and is definitely something you should be proud of

Umm, there is huge benefit from cutting out sugar and refined carbs. The result is fat loss and reducing inflammation and oxidation in the blood due to grains and sugar.

I am no longer putting anything in my body that my body doesn't need. My body needs FATS, protein and carbs in the form of vegetables.

If I feel I need something sweet, sitting down and enjoying an apple or some berries is good for me.

I have never been a big cookie or cake eater as I didn't grow up having things like that in my house. My mom made home made cakes for our birthdays and cookies and candies around the holidays - again home made. I didn't grow up eating chips, cookies and stuff like that from a grocery store.

My weight was gained from eating inflammatory grains and caused insulin issues and other endocrine issues.
    so let me ask you this. if you need 2000 calories a day and you eat 2200 cals of foods that you believe to be "healthy" what will happen to your weight?
  • Grokette
    Options

there will be temporary fat storage, that is true. but if you are in a caloric deficit you will not experience a net fat gain LIKE IVE ALREADY SAID. please read the articles and other posts ive made.

You will lose weight and your actual fat % will increase. Ask me how I know. I was my own n=1 experiment and I have done it both ways...........

Eating 1800 calories of everything in moderation and exercising like a fiend..............lost weight, fat % increased

Eating 1800 calories of High Fat, Moderate Protein, low carb and exercise a couple of times a week by the tune of lift heavy things, move slowly and sprint occasionally - lost weight and fat % decreased to the tune of 3 clothing sizes.

It is not about counting calories - it is about the quality of the food you eat. I no longer count calories and I am losing weight better than I have in years.
  • Grokette
    Options
    well . . . in my opinion (I know -- who cares, right?!), low/no carb eating is a silly fad that is unsustainable as a lifestyle, and is detrimental to those who exercise, as well as those who like to have energy.

EAT YOUR CARBS!

blessings.

Sorry, but low carb eating is not a silly fad. Please read William Banting's Letter of Corpulence, he is considered to be the Father of low carb and this was written in the 1800's.

Low Carb eating is about eating CLEAN, WHOLE foods such as fats, meats and primarily vegetables with some fruits added in. Where is this a fad and where is not not sustainable???

I started Atkins in 2003 when I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes. I lost 100 pounds in 6 months and kept that weight off for 8 years until 2008 when I had a near fatal car accident and then I gained a lot of weight due to hospital food, my hubby not being a great cook and not really knowing how to shop and the fact that I couldn't exercise for a long time.

It is an excuse to eat cake, cookies and ice cream to say that low carb is not sustainable.

i meant to quote you, please read above ^^^

and why cant you enjoy cake, cookies, or ice cream on a diet? please say the sugar content lol

It is not part of my lifestyle.

Cake and cookies are processed white flour, sugar and preservatives. Ice cream I will eat IF and a big if..........I make it using RAW cream from a farmer, raw sugar and it is home made.......

I don't eat anything processed or from a box or container from the store.

My meats, eggs, raw dairy and raw cheese ALL come from local farmers. I get vegetables and fruits from my CSA club, farmers markets and local pick your own gardens and orchards.

When my husband eats bread - it is because I make it for him and it is gluten free.

I make my own sugar scrubs, shampoo, soaps, cleaning supplies and lotions. I use soap nuts for laundry washing and household cleaning in additon to the cleaning supplies I make at home.

There is no need for the crap in our eating. My lifestyle and my opinion.

You do what makes you happy and what you can live with.

if you dont like to eat sweets then dont. but your not going to experience any benefit of body composition by cutting them out. there is no one food that makes a person fat, its there overall diet for the day. i know it makes a lot of peoples diets much easier to know that if at the end of the day they have reached their protein and fat macros and can fit it a dessert they like then they can eat it. there is no reason you cant enjoy the foods you love and still get healthier. as long as most of your calories and nutrition come from whole foods (something we both agree on) then you are fine

the only reason i replyed to you was bc you made it sound like there is some magical benefit to cutting out carbs and if youre eating carbs youre doing it wrong

that being said you have lost 100 pounds which is a fantastic acheivement and is definitely something you should be proud of

Umm, there is huge benefit from cutting out sugar and refined carbs. The result is fat loss and reducing inflammation and oxidation in the blood due to grains and sugar.

I am no longer putting anything in my body that my body doesn't need. My body needs FATS, protein and carbs in the form of vegetables.

If I feel I need something sweet, sitting down and enjoying an apple or some berries is good for me.

I have never been a big cookie or cake eater as I didn't grow up having things like that in my house. My mom made home made cakes for our birthdays and cookies and candies around the holidays - again home made. I didn't grow up eating chips, cookies and stuff like that from a grocery store.

My weight was gained from eating inflammatory grains and caused insulin issues and other endocrine issues.
    so let me ask you this. if you need 2000 calories a day and you eat 2200 cals of foods that you believe to be "healthy" what will happen to your weight?

Cutting out the processed foods I can eat far more calories of fat and protein and lose weight and fat loss a whole lot better than your everything in moderation.

do the reading and the research.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is not the Mayo Clinic Diet.

https://bookstore.mayoclinic.com/products/books/Details.cfm?mpid=58&trkid=21242S261287510

Bogus "Mayo Clinic diets" — based on everything from cabbage soup to grapefruit to bacon — have been circulating for decades. These diets have no connection to Mayo Clinic,
This discussion has been closed.