Exhausted with Low/No Carb Eating

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    this is just you saying words right now. post some studies and i will take you seriously

also i didnt see your post earlier about not believing stuff from a .gov. you must be trolling. stuff from there is peer reviewed scientific studies.

do you understand that you got your info from atkins.com where a guy is literally trying to sell you stuff. thats how he makes money by telling people like you that if they want to lose the most fat they have to buy into his products and lifestyle

Just FYI, I have never once visited an Atkins website or bought an Atkins product. I do not follow Atkins, he does not own the idea of low carb living, and that stuff isn't "food." I can give you my sources, but they are these things called "books", and the authors did a great job of compiling decades of research here...

Why We Get Fat
    Good Calories Bad Calories
    (both of the above by Gary Taubes)
    The Paleo Diet - Robb Wolf
    The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson

I've also watched hours of YouTube lectures on low carb living, fat loss and gain, insulin, etc. But never once, have I consulted Atkins.

No one can compare the present day Atkins.com site to what Dr Atkins advocated when he was alive. The Atkins Nutritonals Corporation has turned his once EAT whole, organic foods plan to a dieters paradise...........

I have the books that Dr Atkins himself wrote when he was alive and in the beginning he always said to buy WHOLE Foods, organic if you can afford them. He never advocated eating those bars and shakes unless it was an extreme emergency.

I am a former Atkins lifestyler prior to my car accident in 2008. I ate nothing packaged and processed on that plan either and I was able to learn a whole lot about my body and how different foods affect my body which led me to Primal / Paleo after I recovered from my car accident.
    the point im trying to make about atkins is selling a product. he is saying "if you buy my products youl lose weight, dont go buy that loaf of bread, thats bad for you"

if you ate 4000 calories of whole foods with zero carbs, what would happen to your weight?

il be back later to continue this

Dr Atkins is not selling any products, HE is deceased. Atkins Nutritonals CORPORATION is who is making a buck off the products, not Dr Atkins - unless a deceased man can spend money........

And Dr Atkins wife has sinced sued Atkins Nutritonals because they changed the company into something that was against EVERYTHING her husband advocated for.

As long as I stick to low or 0 carbs I lose weight just fine. I eat far more calories now than I have in a long time and losing weight easier.

I am done conversing with you.
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    I had an entire reply typed out to Jordan, but i'm not going to bother. Anyone who tells someone else that it's okay to eat pop tarts everyday like he has in a previous post dosen't have the slightest clue about nutrition.

of course you can eat pop tarts. your body breaks food down into its smallest parts it doesnt recognize that this is pop tarts, its not good for, so it turns to fat.

that was worded awkwardly but you know what i mean.

im going to use another example that everyone has side stepped so far.

if you need 2000 calories to just maintain your body ( not adding or taking away any muscle, fat etc) and you ate 1800 cals of pop tarts what would happen to your weight?

also same scenario with 2200 of lettuce, what would happen?

tomorrow on this website go to your foods for the day and put pop tarts in for everything until you reach your caloric goal. tell me what it says will happen to your weight. if you dont understand energy in vs energy out theres no reason for me to argue with you.

im trying to make your goals easier to attain. if you want to be scared of bread for the rest of your life go ahead but im going to have bread and get the same results as you
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    this is just you saying words right now. post some studies and i will take you seriously

also i didnt see your post earlier about not believing stuff from a .gov. you must be trolling. stuff from there is peer reviewed scientific studies.

do you understand that you got your info from atkins.com where a guy is literally trying to sell you stuff. thats how he makes money by telling people like you that if they want to lose the most fat they have to buy into his products and lifestyle

Just FYI, I have never once visited an Atkins website or bought an Atkins product. I do not follow Atkins, he does not own the idea of low carb living, and that stuff isn't "food." I can give you my sources, but they are these things called "books", and the authors did a great job of compiling decades of research here...

Why We Get Fat
    Good Calories Bad Calories
    (both of the above by Gary Taubes)
    The Paleo Diet - Robb Wolf
    The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson

I've also watched hours of YouTube lectures on low carb living, fat loss and gain, insulin, etc. But never once, have I consulted Atkins.

No one can compare the present day Atkins.com site to what Dr Atkins advocated when he was alive. The Atkins Nutritonals Corporation has turned his once EAT whole, organic foods plan to a dieters paradise...........

I have the books that Dr Atkins himself wrote when he was alive and in the beginning he always said to buy WHOLE Foods, organic if you can afford them. He never advocated eating those bars and shakes unless it was an extreme emergency.

I am a former Atkins lifestyler prior to my car accident in 2008. I ate nothing packaged and processed on that plan either and I was able to learn a whole lot about my body and how different foods affect my body which led me to Primal / Paleo after I recovered from my car accident.
    the point im trying to make about atkins is selling a product. he is saying "if you buy my products youl lose weight, dont go buy that loaf of bread, thats bad for you"

if you ate 4000 calories of whole foods with zero carbs, what would happen to your weight?

il be back later to continue this

Dr Atkins is not selling any products, HE is deceased. Atkins Nutritonals CORPORATION is who is making a buck off the products, not Dr Atkins - unless a deceased man can spend money........

And Dr Atkins wife has sinced sued Atkins Nutritonals because they changed the company into something that was against EVERYTHING her husband advocated for.

As long as I stick to low or 0 carbs I lose weight just fine. I eat far more calories now than I have in a long time and losing weight easier.

I am done conversing with you.
    thats exactly what ive said many times which i assume you have disregarded. if you dont want to eat carbs then dont
  • Grokette
    Options
    I'm going to quote myself because I think it is worth repeating:
    And as I predicted when this post first popped up, this has become a pissing contest. Both low carb and low fat diets have been around for a very long time. Neither of them are fads at this point, IMO. Some people like to eat their bread, others enjoy full fats. Really, both can work, and it pretty much comes down to preference. My mom prefers low fat and she follows WW. I prefer Atkins. We are both losing weight.

OP, if you really don't think you can live a low carb lifestyle for the long run, then maybe a different appraoch is best for you. But, from what you have described, all your symptoms are completely normal for starting out low carb. For some people it takes a few weeks to overcome. Good luck with your decision, whatever that may be.
    i dont mean to spam your thread but these people are being so closeminded. i just want them to understand

Nothing you can say or post is going to change my mind. I am probably older than you are and I lived my life for a long time when I unexplainedly gained weight and the more then Dr put me on a restricted calorie, low fat plan the MORE WEIGHT I GAINED..................I went from eating bread, pasta and low fat salad with gross salad dressings on about 1000 calories per day (by my Dr)

To eating over 2,000 calories of fat to include bacon, hamburger, eggs, vegetables and great tasting salads and losing weight effortlessly.

The best part of that was being able to stop taking medications.

Eating REAL food is not hard to live with.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    of course you can eat pop tarts. your body breaks food down into its smallest parts it doesnt recognize that this is pop tarts, its not good for, so it turns to fat.

if you need 2000 calories to just maintain your body ( not adding or taking away any muscle, fat etc) and you ate 1800 cals of pop tarts what would happen to your weight?

tomorrow on this website go to your foods for the day and put pop tarts in for everything until you reach your caloric goal. tell me what it says will happen to your weight. if you dont understand energy in vs energy out theres no reason for me to argue with you.

im trying to make your goals easier to attain. if you want to be scared of bread for the rest of your life go ahead but im going to have bread and get the same results as you

*facepalm*
    Wow dude... just stop.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had an entire reply typed out to Jordan, but i'm not going to bother. Anyone who tells someone else that it's okay to eat pop tarts everyday like he has in a previous post dosen't have the slightest clue about nutrition.

Now, that is a silly example. I don't eat low carb (at least not on purpose, though I am frequently under the recommendation). But if you ate nothing but 1800 calories worth pop-tarts you would not get the same results as my 1800 calories of healthy food (carbs or other). You "might" get the same amount of weight loss, but not the same results. Anyone eating that much sugar should be more worried about their insulin than their waist.

This site is call 'My Fitness Pal' not 'My Weight Loss Pal' after all.
  • Grokette
    Options

Once again, you are not understanding it is not about the QUANTITY.....it is about QUALITY.

Its not as simple as energy in, energy out as the government leads you to believe.

How about this. You do you and I will keep doing me. Sound fair, good luck with the inflammation cuased by grains in your future.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did not go through the entire thread but you experiencing "Carb Flu", "Atkins Flu", "Induction Flu", etc. When you stop taking in dietary carbohydrates your body has to switch from utlizing these sugars to breaking down fat for fuel. This typically takes from 3-5 days and patience with NO sugar in any form during this time. Once you get past Induction it's get's easier and over time your body get very efficient at running on low to no carb diet.

Having said that, I have known many people that just do not respond well to low-carb diets and are better off doing low-cal, low-fat diets. Find what works for you and what you can live with long term and do that.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Jordan,

The last time that I checked most people weren't just on this site to lose weight, but to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I'm sure you could lose weight eating crap all day long, but you can also lose weight by sticking your finger down your throat & making yourself puke. Does that make it healthy? Nope. You can sit there & argue it however you would like, but different things work for different people. I could print every diary entry off of fitday.com that I entered back when I was doing low calorie. I never ate more than 1500 calories a day, exercised the same amount that I do now, but couldn't make my weight budge more than 5 or so lbs. Now, I eat the same amount of calories, perform the same amount & type of exercise, and I don't eat refined carbs or starches yet the weight & fat are melting off. Please explain that to me since it's all based on calories in vs calories out in your opinion? Oh, and could you also please explain to me how I eat low carb ( all of my carbs come from veggies & low sugar fruts), a lot of fat, and yet my bad cholesterol (LDL) along w/triglycerides have dropped?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts...? Seriously, read up on hormonal responses to nutrient consumption; it's not just a matter of calories in calories out. Carbs and especially high glycemic carbs increase insulin production and when insulin levels are high, uour body does not metabolize fat. So you can eat 2000 cals worth of pop tarts but your body will not respond well and I'm sure your body will look and feel differently the next day, not in a good way.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Yea, i'll stay scared of bread for the rest of my life considering that I have Celiac's disease, and gluten will put me in the hospital.
  • paulbainjr
    Options
    I am doing low calorie and low carb about 1600 calories a day and 50 or so carbs, I find if I don't drink enough water I get weak. It takes time for your body to adjust stick with it!
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It would be very difficult if not impossible to eat 4,000 calories from protein and fat alone. I know I couldn't do it.

I would "weigh" more just from the volume of the food. But would they promote fat gain? not necessarily. Would it be healthy for ME? not necessarily. Am I also body building while eating this 4,000 calorie diet? Competing? What other factors are at play? How much is fat and how much is protein...do you see my point? It isn't as simple as calories. In Why We Get Fat, Taubes suggests that the research points to calories in/calories out in terms of why we eat more and move less. Conservation of energy. He suggests that the obese eat more and move less because they are obese - and their body either has to take in more calories, or move less to maintain mass. We would go for a walk or skip a meal to make ourselves hungry for a big dinner later, and we used to say someone might "work up an appetite", but this is the same advice that has been given to the overweight - eat less, move more - and we expect them to do this and then society looks at those who fail as "lacking willpower". Reduced calorie diets are fine, as long as adequate protein and fat are consumed to maintain body functions without cellular starvation that leads to binges and cravings. I accomplish this by eating according to my hunger, counting my carbs (staying around 50g), moderate protein (about 1 g per pound of lean body mass), and as much fat to satisfy me. Because I eat a generous amount of fat, I am not hungry. So I naturally eat an average calorie deficit. However, where you would attribute my "weight loss" to a calorie deficit (which is partially true), I attribute my "fat loss" to my carb deficit. On a high carb, low calorie diet, I would feel cranky, hungry, tired, - lose some weight, plateau a lot, and be more likely to binge. I would lose weight, but lose lean mass and less fat, if any fat at all. I know because this is the story of my life until this year.

I make my decisions on how I eat based on my ideas and beliefs about what makes me healthier. If you don't want to live a low carb lifestyle, more power to you! But you won't convince me that your opinions and studies are more valid than mine, any more than the opposite is true. We CAN agree to disagree. Calorie deficits do create "weight loss". But that is not what I am after. I don't care about my scale. I care about my body fat, and my health. That's what Primal living is giving back to me after years of SnackWells, low fat yogurt, oily cheese, boring lean meats, fat free dressings, man made oils, low fat cardboard in a box. My food is actually food again. I can eat any of it raw. It tastes amazing, and I feel amazing. I don't really need your approval to experience that for myself :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

Once again, you are not understanding it is not about the QUANTITY.....it is about QUALITY.

Its not as simple as energy in, energy out as the government leads you to believe.

To what govt. do you refer? I know there are people from various countries on this site, but is there really a government that says it's all about calories and doesn't recommend healthy eating?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It would be very difficult if not impossible to eat 4,000 calories from protein and fat alone. I know I couldn't do it.

I would "weigh" more just from the volume of the food. But would they promote fat gain? not necessarily. Would it be healthy for ME? not necessarily. Am I also body building while eating this 4,000 calorie diet? Competing? What other factors are at play? How much is fat and how much is protein...do you see my point? It isn't as simple as calories. In Why We Get Fat, Taubes suggests that the research points to calories in/calories out in terms of why we eat more and move less. Conservation of energy. He suggests that the obese eat more and move less because they are obese - and their body either has to take in more calories, or move less to maintain mass. We would go for a walk or skip a meal to make ourselves hungry for a big dinner later, and we used to say someone might "work up an appetite", but this is the same advice that has been given to the overweight - eat less, move more - and we expect them to do this and then society looks at those who fail as "lacking willpower". Reduced calorie diets are fine, as long as adequate protein and fat are consumed to maintain body functions without cellular starvation that leads to binges and cravings. I accomplish this by eating according to my hunger, counting my carbs (staying around 50g), moderate protein (about 1 g per pound of lean body mass), and as much fat to satisfy me. Because I eat a generous amount of fat, I am not hungry. So I naturally eat an average calorie deficit. However, where you would attribute my "weight loss" to a calorie deficit (which is partially true), I attribute my "fat loss" to my carb deficit. On a high carb, low calorie diet, I would feel cranky, hungry, tired, - lose some weight, plateau a lot, and be more likely to binge. I would lose weight, but lose lean mass and less fat, if any fat at all. I know because this is the story of my life until this year.

I make my decisions on how I eat based on my ideas and beliefs about what makes me healthier. If you don't want to live a low carb lifestyle, more power to you! But you won't convince me that your opinions and studies are more valid than mine, any more than the opposite is true. We CAN agree to disagree. Calorie deficits do create "weight loss". But that is not what I am after. I don't care about my scale. I care about my body fat, and my health. That's what Primal living is giving back to me after years of SnackWells, low fat yogurt, oily cheese, boring lean meats, fat free dressings, man made oils, low fat cardboard in a box. My food is actually food again. I can eat any of it raw. It tastes amazing, and I feel amazing. I don't really need your approval to experience that for myself :)

:drinker:
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    i used it as an example. what i said in the original post about pop tarts was that it is best to get your calories and nutrients from whole foods but if at the end of the day you have reached your protein and fat macros and the pop tarts fit in your calories for the day then it is fine and wont hinder your progress.

whats so crazy about that
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    the original argument was that carbs make you fat. i just used an extreme example to show that it isnt true.
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    if there are still people out there who believe carbs in itself make a person fat read this along with the other recent peer reviewed studies, videos, and other evidence ive posted

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

note: he is not recommending this diet, he is just proving calories in vs calories out
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    the original argument was that carbs make you fat. i just used an extreme example to show that it isnt true.

Ssssshhh... it's ok.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, the OP said low carb had made them cranky asked if they should add complex carbs back in slowly. It was probably more the crazy fad diet masquerading an endorcement from the Mayo Clinic that made the OP cranky.
This discussion has been closed.