Exhausted with Low/No Carb Eating

Options

Replies

• Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    this is just you saying words right now. post some studies and i will take you seriously

also i didnt see your post earlier about not believing stuff from a .gov. you must be trolling. stuff from there is peer reviewed scientific studies.

do you understand that you got your info from atkins.com where a guy is literally trying to sell you stuff. thats how he makes money by telling people like you that if they want to lose the most fat they have to buy into his products and lifestyle

I don't care if you don't take me seriously. I am here to support others that have the same lifestyle as I do and I am here for myself and myself ONLY.

What part of WE don't believe or trust ANYTHING from a .GOV site don't you understand????????????

And the Atkins.com site is now a corporation - not the Dr Atkins approved plan that I did when he was still alive. The Atkins Nutritionals COMPANY has taken and ruined his name with their protein shakes, bars and processed foods.

That is NOT what Dr Atkins advocated in any of his books preceeding his death. And most people that I know that take on the Atkins lifestyle use the older edition of the books, not this new edition that was printed earlier this year.
    i am supporting others too. the diffence between you and i is that you are making peoples diets more difficult than it needs to be.

also its not WE, its you and that other girl. every other intelligent person gets their info from websites similar to pubmed for reports and thesis in college and the adult world. your trying to make it sound like a conspiracy theory.

the only evidence you have given is purely anecdotal (while i have given numerous links, videos, and other evidence). the reason you lost weight was bc of a energy deficit, not avoiding carbs.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Your body needs those complex carbs! You start losing weight quickly at first but then you'll hit a wall with the Mayo diet- I've done it. As long as your eating complex carbs, Your body is going to burn that off. Your body also goes into starvation mode if youre lacking in carbs and below your daily calorie goal. The more you workout the more you need to eat! Foods like oatmeal are awesome before a good workout- plus you'll feel full longer- and yes! whole grains! THat's why they're the largest group on the food pyramid!

That is false.....your body does not go into starvation mode when you're producing ketones from lack of carbs....that's the whole point. You have such low carbs, your body is burning fat because it has no other choice.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    this is just you saying words right now. post some studies and i will take you seriously

also i didnt see your post earlier about not believing stuff from a .gov. you must be trolling. stuff from there is peer reviewed scientific studies.

do you understand that you got your info from atkins.com where a guy is literally trying to sell you stuff. thats how he makes money by telling people like you that if they want to lose the most fat they have to buy into his products and lifestyle

Just FYI, I have never once visited an Atkins website or bought an Atkins product. I do not follow Atkins, he does not own the idea of low carb living, and that stuff isn't "food." I can give you my sources, but they are these things called "books", and the authors did a great job of compiling decades of research here...

Why We Get Fat
    Good Calories Bad Calories
    (both of the above by Gary Taubes)
    The Paleo Diet - Robb Wolf
    The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson

I've also watched hours of YouTube lectures on low carb living, fat loss and gain, insulin, etc. But never once, have I consulted Atkins.

No one can compare the present day Atkins.com site to what Dr Atkins advocated when he was alive. The Atkins Nutritonals Corporation has turned his once EAT whole, organic foods plan to a dieters paradise...........

I have the books that Dr Atkins himself wrote when he was alive and in the beginning he always said to buy WHOLE Foods, organic if you can afford them. He never advocated eating those bars and shakes unless it was an extreme emergency.

I am a former Atkins lifestyler prior to my car accident in 2008. I ate nothing packaged and processed on that plan either and I was able to learn a whole lot about my body and how different foods affect my body which led me to Primal / Paleo after I recovered from my car accident.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I saw Fathead. It was corny, cheesy and I didn't entirely agree with him but he was trying to make a point and did a pretty good job of making it.

And the last 40 years of nutritional research has been entirely based on money and politics and flawed and twisted and ignored science/evidence/data. Our government can't even run this country properly. I am not putting my health into its hands anymore.

Yeah, better to put it into the hands of documentary film-makers or fringe internet groups who make their money from being contradictory and extreme as possible.

I shudder to think what you would do if you were to ever see "Bigger, Faster, Stronger".
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    you could find the amount of calories in your test subjects where they both lose around 1 pound a week. give one person carbs and dont give the other person carbs. observe what happens
    Wait for it... wait for it...

Mind blown in...

three...

two...

juan...

Boom!
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/4/1617.full.pdf+html

Edit: Just to help you out...

"Although caloric intakes in the two groups were similar, the
    proportions of carbohydrate, protein, and fat consumed differed
    dramatically. At 3 months, caloric intake in the very
    low carbohydrate diet group was distributed as 15% carbohydrate,
    28% protein, and 57% fat. In contrast, the low fat diet
    group had daily calories distributed as 54% carbohydrate,
    18% protein, and 28% fat. At 3 months, the very low carbohydrate
    diet group consumed significantly less carbohydrate,
    vitamin C, and fiber and significantly more protein,
    total fat, saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated
    fat, and cholesterol than the low fat diet group (P0.01
    for all comparisons). At 6 months, the two groups still differed
    significantly for most of these measures (Table 2).
    Weight and body composition
    Body weight and body fat in the low fat and very low
    carbohydrate groups were similar at baseline (Table 1). After
    the initiation of the diets, both groups had a decrease in bodyweight
    that was more rapid in the earlier weeks of observation
    and became less pronounced as the study progressed
    (Fig. 3). The women in the very low carbohydrate group lost
    an average of 7.6 0.7 kg after 3 months and 8.5 1.0 kg
    after 6 months of diet. Women following the low fat diet lost
    4.20.8 and 3.91.0 kg at 3 and 6 months, respectively. The
    amount of weight lost was significantly greater in the very
    low carbohydrate group compared with the low fat group,
    whether analyzed as intention to treat with all randomized
    subjects in the analysis (P 0.001 at 3 and 6 months) or with
    only the subjects who completed the trial (Fig. 3; P 0.001
    at 3 and 6 months).
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I don't care if you don't take me seriously. I am here to support others that have the same lifestyle as I do and I am here for myself and myself ONLY.

What part of WE don't believe or trust ANYTHING from a .GOV site don't you understand????????????

And the Atkins.com site is now a corporation - not the Dr Atkins approved plan that I did when he was still alive. The Atkins Nutritionals COMPANY has taken and ruined his name with their protein shakes, bars and processed foods.

That is NOT what Dr Atkins advocated in any of his books preceeding his death. And most people that I know that take on the Atkins lifestyle use the older edition of the books, not this new edition that was printed earlier this year.
    i am supporting others too. the diffence between you and i is that you are making peoples diets more difficult than it needs to be.

also its not WE, its you and that other girl. every other intelligent person gets their info from websites similar to pubmed for reports and thesis in college and the adult world. your trying to make it sound like a conspiracy theory.

the only evidence you have given is purely anecdotal (while i have given numerous links, videos, and other evidence). the reason you lost weight was bc of a energy deficit, not avoiding carbs.

If calorie counting and eating in moderation is soooo easy then why are there countless posts about people failing on this site?

Our plan is very simple. Eat real food. What is hard about that???????
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    To paraphrase Dr. King:

I have a dream that one day on the forums of myfitnesspal.com the sons of carbers and the sons of former carbers will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

:p Just to bring some levity to the table....
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I have to say that I eat very little grain, whole or otherwise. I had lots of digestive issues over the years and finally figured out that I felt a whole lot better without wheat (I am not Celiac). I tried going GF, but with GF wheat and bread substitutes. The available options were expensive, not that great tasting, and typically high calorie with little nutrition. As a result, I eat a very low grain, but moderate carb diet. Almost all of my carbs come from fruits, vegitables, and dairy (100-135 per day). During any given week, I doubt I average more than two servings of any grain per day. I add a little milled flax for fiber. I do eat beans, which I understand paleo does not endorse. I also eat rice a few times a week. I only eat it because others in my family like it. I'd go for a sweat potato over rice any day. I do eat some GF grain options. Mostly when I really want a burger or PB&J sandwich. That's all to say that I feel better than I have in years, I exercize more, have more energy, my IBS is essentially resolved, my rosacea is cleared up. For me limiting grains has been good. I think that it would be good for most people. The 5-7 servings the old food pyramid recommended, just seems rediculous to me now. I do think most of us would be a lot healther if we kept it down to 2-3 servings of grains per day. Just my opinion for what it's worth. :smile:
  • Wilfred808
    Options

Just FYI, I have never once visited an Atkins website or bought an Atkins product. I do not follow Atkins, he does not own the idea of low carb living, and that stuff isn't "food." I can give you my sources, but they are these things called "books", and the authors did a great job of compiling decades of research here...

Why We Get Fat
    Good Calories Bad Calories
    (both of the above by Gary Taubes)
    The Paleo Diet - Robb Wolf
    The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson

I've also watched hours of YouTube lectures on low carb living, fat loss and gain, insulin, etc. But never once, have I consulted Atkins.

No one can compare the present day Atkins.com site to what Dr Atkins advocated when he was alive. The Atkins Nutritonals Corporation has turned his once EAT whole, organic foods plan to a dieters paradise...........

I have the books that Dr Atkins himself wrote when he was alive and in the beginning he always said to buy WHOLE Foods, organic if you can afford them. He never advocated eating those bars and shakes unless it was an extreme emergency.

I am a former Atkins lifestyler prior to my car accident in 2008. I ate nothing packaged and processed on that plan either and I was able to learn a whole lot about my body and how different foods affect my body which led me to Primal / Paleo after I recovered from my car accident.
    the point im trying to make about atkins is selling a product. he is saying "if you buy my products youl lose weight, dont go buy that loaf of bread, thats bad for you"

if you ate 4000 calories of whole foods with zero carbs, what would happen to your weight?

il be back later to continue this
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quote myself because I think it is worth repeating:
    And as I predicted when this post first popped up, this has become a pissing contest. Both low carb and low fat diets have been around for a very long time. Neither of them are fads at this point, IMO. Some people like to eat their bread, others enjoy full fats. Really, both can work, and it pretty much comes down to preference. My mom prefers low fat and she follows WW. I prefer Atkins. We are both losing weight.

OP, if you really don't think you can live a low carb lifestyle for the long run, then maybe a different appraoch is best for you. But, from what you have described, all your symptoms are completely normal for starting out low carb. For some people it takes a few weeks to overcome. Good luck with your decision, whatever that may be.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/8950/title/Fattening_Carbs+#151;Some_Promote_Obesity_and_Worse

www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio

here are two for you.
  • Wilfred808
    Options

If calorie counting and eating in moderation is soooo easy then why are there countless posts about people failing on this site?

Our plan is very simple. Eat real food. What is hard about that???????
    bc the macros given to you are a guideline. this website recommends that i should eat around 2500 cals a day. i know through trial and error that if i eat 2500 cals a day i will gain weight. you have to adjust your calories as neccesary. if your goal is to lose weight and you gain weight at 2500 you reduce your cals to 2400. it is as simple as that.

not everyone that is the same height and weight as me needs the same calories everyday.

like ive said about 10000x times already if you dont like eating carbs then dont, but dont force it on others. your spreading broscience that is making people scared to eat bread

lol at carbs not being real food
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    the point im trying to make about atkins is selling a product. he is saying "if you buy my products youl lose weight, dont go buy that loaf of bread, thats bad for you"

if you ate 4000 calories of whole foods with zero carbs, what would happen to your weight?

Nice try building up that strawman! You asked for evidence, and now you have it. Now you're trying to make an argument about Atkins products? Really?
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    I'm going to quote myself because I think it is worth repeating:
    And as I predicted when this post first popped up, this has become a pissing contest. Both low carb and low fat diets have been around for a very long time. Neither of them are fads at this point, IMO. Some people like to eat their bread, others enjoy full fats. Really, both can work, and it pretty much comes down to preference. My mom prefers low fat and she follows WW. I prefer Atkins. We are both losing weight.

OP, if you really don't think you can live a low carb lifestyle for the long run, then maybe a different appraoch is best for you. But, from what you have described, all your symptoms are completely normal for starting out low carb. For some people it takes a few weeks to overcome. Good luck with your decision, whatever that may be.
    i dont mean to spam your thread but these people are being so closeminded. i just want them to understand
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Really there is no compelling medical or scientific evidence that low carb or not low carb diets are bad. This is because there is plenty of evidence that, for an otherwise healthy person (no disease, condition or syndrome necessitating a special diet) either can be perfectly healthy if done correctly.

THAT is what medical science has shown over the years. The rest is just personal preference. Live and let live.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

I saw Fathead. It was corny, cheesy and I didn't entirely agree with him but he was trying to make a point and did a pretty good job of making it.

And the last 40 years of nutritional research has been entirely based on money and politics and flawed and twisted and ignored science/evidence/data. Our government can't even run this country properly. I am not putting my health into its hands anymore.

Yeah, better to put it into the hands of documentary film-makers or fringe internet groups who make their money from being contradictory and extreme as possible.

I shudder to think what you would do if you were to ever see "Bigger, Faster, Stronger".
    The documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" provides a decidedly unconventional - indeed, controversial - take on the use of anabolic steroids. Rather than pointing out the dangers of such use, the film seems to be making the opposite case: that steroids are really no more problematic than myriad other performance-enhancement substances and techniques used by athletes to better their game. And, if anything, it is the American obsession with being the biggest, the strongest and the fastest that may be the real culprit in the first place.

Christopher Bell, who directs, narrates and appears prominently in the film, was a short, fat kid when he and his two brothers, Mark and Mike, the latter of whom died not long after the release of the movie, became obsessed with achieving fame and fortune through bodybuilding, power-lifting and professional wrestling. With media-savvy role models such as Hulk Hogan, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone serving as their inspiration, the boys eventually turned to steroid use to improve their chances of achieving their goal. But Chris always felt bad for trying steroids, mainly because the media and the people around him kept telling him that it was both dangerous and immoral to do so. So he quit. Now, through his film, Chris has decided to find an answer to his question of whether steroids really are such a bad thing - in terms of their effect on both the body and competitive fairness - or whether their negative reputation is largely a product of media hype.

He spends a good amount of his time in the film seeking out professional athletes, coaches, and "experts" in the field, only to find that the "experts" – whether in the medical field or the halls of Congress – don't really have the facts to buttress their case, and that most of the athletes he talks to flat-out admit to using steroids themselves.

Chris really aims his opprobrium at the modern American obsession with achieving fame, fortune and physical perfection at any and all costs – a group in which he includes himself and his brothers. There's a particularly pointed and witty moment as a psychologist he's interviewing points to the slow but noticeable evolution of the GI Joe action figure over the decades, from a fairly trim average guy in the '50s to a muscle-bound, six-packed, super-hunk today. Chris calls out the media for its complicity in this obsession with the models that are used in advertising and the actors who have achieved superstar status on screen.

Chris's main thesis is that steroid users are being unfairly singled out, while people in other areas of life - like college students and musicians who take performance-enhancing drugs - are not similarly accused of cheating. It's the hypocrisy that seems to bother Chris the most. He points out that the same Congress that brought baseball players in to testify about doping in that field also managed to deregulate a supplement industry that finds ways to rip off consumers with the promise of physical perfection. He likewise attacks the pharmaceutical industry that continually feeds America's obsession with consuming drugs as a means of achieving health and happiness. He also points out just how easy it is to procure access to all kinds of drugs – both legal and illegal – if the determination is there and the price right.

By focusing so heavily on his own family, Chris really personalizes the issue for the audience and prevents the movie from becoming just another finger-wagging, cautionary-tale polemic. This also brings us the film's most poignant moments as he and his brothers engage in moments of fruitful soul-searching and their parents reveal how they feel about the issue.

"Bigger, Stronger, Faster" is likely to upset some in the audience who feel it's taking a somewhat cavalier approach to what is generally considered to be nothing short of a scourge plaguing our nation. But Chris seems to be making some good points, even if he isn't coming right out and endorsing the use of anabolic steroids. He seems more concerned with exactly WHY we are so obsessed with being the biggest, strongest and fastest. And that deeper dimension is what winds up giving his film the competitive edge it needs to win.

It wasn't Fathead that made me go Primal. It wasn't Gary Taubes. It wasn't Robb Wolf. It wasn't Mark Sasson. It was the fact that the longer I counted calories, logged and weighed food and used up my evenings with excessive exercise and researched nutrition the more confusion I had, the more questions I had, the more things just didn't make sense. When I found Primal everything clicked. It made sense. The one big question that is always present in my head is "Why?" That question was answered with Primal/Paleo. Conventional Wisdom could not answer that question.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had an entire reply typed out to Jordan, but i'm not going to bother. Anyone who tells someone else that it's okay to eat pop tarts everyday like he has in a previous post dosen't have the slightest clue about nutrition.
  • Wilfred808
    Options

Nice try building up that strawman! You asked for evidence, and now you have it. Now you're trying to make an argument about Atkins products? Really?
    i made that argument before.

i just made an example think about it and answer the question
  • daniellevietti
    daniellevietti Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My own thread scares me!

I've learned quite a bit thanks to everyone.

Remember everyone, we are here to support one another. Every single one of us has different views and ideas about the things we do to lose weight. Every body and mind is different.

I appreciate all the enthusiasm and know that at least one person learned something new today (ME).
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ugh... hate these threads yet I find myself compelled to play along. Far too many people in this thread that know nothing about low carb eating and should refrane from posting until they educate theirselves more on the topic. There is no perfect diet regardless of what anybody thinks, each style of eating has drawbacks. I can think of bad things about both sides. Some people handle carbs well, some dont. Find a method that works for you and live it.
This discussion has been closed.